WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pepper Spray

500bbc

Reaction score
Any recommendations for pepper spray for runners?
Wife had some asshole bother her on her run yesterday. If she didn't tell me eight hours later I'd still be looking for him.:skull

What are the Cali restrictions?

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
To be honest I don't know the law right now. After you find out I would hit the local cop toy store...(uniform shop supply house) and ask them. I'd also spend the $ to get an inert practice can identical to what you buy her so she can see how far it sprays, the pattern it puts out, etc.
She needs to understand the stuff's limitations...and that if the wind is wrong she might get some too.

Blubyu

Reaction score
Phantom, it's the best stuff out there. It'll put you on your ass in seconds and will continue to fuck with you for the next 4 hours. lol Shit sucks!

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Mk3 or any of the stuff from defense technology. You want the stuff the cops use. Not watered down civilian crap. You can get it online somewhere that doesn't check for LEO ID. FBT has good advice. Training is good. It's not magic just press a button stuff. Not a fan of stun guns either but in a running situation they could be very useful. Of course my question is always what county are you in? Get her a Ccw. Less lethal is for cops that have to follow a use of force continuum and still have the option to go to firearm when the OC spray just pisses off some crackhead.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
How well does this stuff work on dogs?

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Not as good as a 45. :D

Works good. Forgot about that when I made stun gun comment. Would want the spray for dogs. Fur has a way of getting in the way of electrical devices.

NdaWind

Reaction score
Wasp spray is by the front door of my RV. shoots really far and no permit required. Can might be a little big for running

500bbc

Reaction score
Looks like the only restriction is 2.5 ozs or less.

Can't get her to run with the 12ga street sweeper.:D

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Wasp spray is by the front door of my RV. shoots really far and no permit required. Can might be a little big for running

^^^^^This^^^^^

with \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ This \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

aervoe%20spray%20can%20trigger%20handle.jpg

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Fire Stop used to make a small 6 oz can extinguisher. Fire Extinguishers are very potent. We carry them and fire is not my main reason.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Got the Wasp spray, I like how it shoots. We also have a coyote issue.(4 legged)

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The gun stores have some pretty good stuff for about $7.
We carry Bear spray but it may be too big for a runner to carry:

bear-spray.jpg

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Thats a great size for a runner/jogger. I wonder if they make a clip for your waste line? Where did you get that one? The sprays I noticed at Big 5 seemed larger to me, although I'll have to look again. I thought about getting one for myself awhile back because on certain days I run very early on a dirt trail but decided the sprays were just too bulky and I didn't want to hold it while jogging?

I forget exactly where. Got some years back online. Just Google and find one that doesn't ask for LEO ID to purchase. The stuff a civilian can buy at Big 5 etc. isn't the same potency. These deals are on a cops Sam Brown. I think you can find them with clips etc. If I need stuff like that now I have a connection but unfortunately the connection doesn't work for the general public.

I make sure my wife carries until I can finally convince her to carry a gun.

For you guys that carry this stuff running etc. please realize that it is designed as less-than-lethal. What I mean is somebody out of their mind on PCP or some aggressive Pit Bull (used that for RD) could still come at you. So make sure you can run faster but just in case have something else. Before my compact was approved for my permit I'd run with one of these and my knife. Spray would give me enough time to deploy my knife and stab the damn dog if it still tries to lockjaw me.

With that said though... Don't bring a knife to a gunfight!

Last edited:

500bbc

Reaction score
Thats a great size for a runner/jogger. I wonder if they make a clip for your waste line? Where did you get that one? The sprays I noticed at Big 5 seemed larger to me, although I'll have to look again. I thought about getting one for myself awhile back because on certain days I run very early on a dirt trail but decided the sprays were just too bulky and I didn't want to hold it while jogging?

Just ordered with holster.
CA legal size.

http://www.guardian-self-defense.com/fightingvideos.htm

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
The most important part of any of these tools is knowing the legal issues involved and training. Do the research and figure that out first. As someone already said nothing, even a handgun is magic. You must train and have a plan, especially if it doesn't have the desired results.

For most folks its a feel good thing and makes us feel safer. One of the best things to do is to always be aware of your surroundings. If something doesnt look right, change your course. Run with somebody else if you can.

I am an advocate of armed citizens. Again, you must know the legal issues, train, know your weapon, plan and have a plan "B". That plan "B" can be as simple as retreating.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Good god... just looking at that makes me taste Cayenne Pepper..... I may or may not have one that looks remarkably similar to that in my holster on my Sam Brown as we speak.

Any recommendations for pepper spray for runners?
Wife had some asshole bother her on her run yesterday. If she didn't tell me eight hours later I'd still be looking for him.:skull

What are the Cali restrictions?

Recommendations..... Sure. Get ready to feel the affects of anything you spray in the air all over your body especially if you have already worked up a good sweat. And I mean EVERYWHERE!

I can't count the number of fights I've been in with that crap over the years. It burns like a mother fucker and if you are not used to it your eyes WILL close on you and snot will run from the bottom of your nose to the ground. We get exposed to it for a specific reason. They spray the crap out of us, have us exercise and fight while feeling the affects, then detox off of it (clean water and fresh air) while answering questions.

What ever she gets, she needs to be exposed to so she knows how she will react. I'm not suggesting spraying your wife directly in the face and sitting back and watching. But if you take it, spray it in a plastic bag, then kind of woft it at her near her face it should take affect. It is going to burn her eyes and all the exposed skin. It is going to take her breath away and make her nose run. And it is going to reactivate every time she puts water on it after the initial rinse down. Just be prepaired.

Other than that.... haaha... it's great!

yz450mm

Reaction score
I never worried about dogs until I got rushed by CuJo and his buddy while on a run. I promptly hopped the chain link fence next to me, right into a yard with 2 now pissed off Rotweilers. I hopped back up on the fence, but lost my balance and went back outside to the killer mutts that were apparently looking for blood. As I picked up a decent size rock, a driver saw what was happening and swerved off the road to take out the snarling beasts, and they got the hint and loped off with hair still raised.

My first choice would have been my .40, but I would have taken a nice can of spray for sure. Since then, I bought a few cans of OC spray and a window punch for the center console of all 3 vehicles.

I agree with a trial run with the OC, it sucks but it makes you infinitely more prepared for when/if you have to use it. Burns like a motherfucker, but at least you know what to expect and aren't scared to use it since you know it'll eventually go away.

500bbc

Reaction score
Good god... just looking at that makes me taste Cayenne Pepper..... I may or may not have one that looks remarkably similar to that in my holster on my Sam Brown as we speak.

Recommendations..... Sure. Get ready to feel the affects of anything you spray in the air all over your body especially if you have already worked up a good sweat. And I mean EVERYWHERE!

I can't count the number of fights I've been in with that crap over the years. It burns like a mother fucker and if you are not used to it your eyes WILL close on you and snot will run from the bottom of your nose to the ground. We get exposed to it for a specific reason. They spray the crap out of us, have us exercise and fight while feeling the affects, then detox off of it (clean water and fresh air) while answering questions.

What ever she gets, she needs to be exposed to so she knows how she will react. I'm not suggesting spraying your wife directly in the face and sitting back and watching. But if you take it, spray it in a plastic bag, then kind of woft it at her near her face it should take affect. It is going to burn her eyes and all the exposed skin. It is going to take her breath away and make her nose run. And it is going to reactivate every time she puts water on it after the initial rinse down. Just be prepaired.

Other than that.... haaha... it's great!

We've both been "tested". Cleaning out the bedroom nightstands a few years ago and she pulls out a canister that she used to carry in her purse. We both wondered if it still worked, quick blast in the room. It still worked.:D

How much difference is the stream compared to the spray?

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
We've both been "tested". Cleaning out the bedroom nightstands a few years ago and she pulls out a canister that she used to carry in her purse. We both wondered if it still worked, quick blast in the room. It still worked.:D

How much difference is the stream compared to the spray?

The MK-3 shown will shoot a stream of the stuff very affective up to about 12-15 ft, and I'm pretty sure most of the legit ones will do the same. If it were a mist type it's going to get more on you than them and the range would be next to nothing.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
this is interesting article about Pepper Spray
The use of pepper spray, or mace as it is commonly known, for protection can be an effective solution for escape from an attack. If you choose pepper spray and mace for self defense, you must be ready to use it. You will need to have the canister in your hand and have your finger on the trigger. There will be no time to dig it out of your purse.
read more
Thumb, finger, same thing. :oops:
Pics of wife and boat.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
43C45F02-A33E-4182-A677-FCA47C18A69C.jpeg

Wife occasionally gets hassled walking the new dog or a vicious dog gets loose in the neighborhood.

Just takes a few seconds to ATTACK or kill your dog we’ve found from neighbors bad experience.

As of late I’d prefer her to carry bear spray in the compact cans but she likes this palm size.

We were at dinner last week and a couple brought their dog into the place and it attacked a waitress that was bussing a table. Took a handful of flesh out of her leg.

Last edited:

D19

Reaction score
I wear one on my wrist when I run that I bought from Roadrunner sports. There's not really a whole lot of weirdos where I live but there's a lot of people who walk their dogs off leash on trails and there are a lot of coyotes where I live.

I have a few of them. I keep a few in our cars.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Are you absolutely sure wasp spray works on humans?

I have my doubts and so do quite a few articles...here just one of many I google-fu’d

IMG_3844.PNG

For me, there are so many sprays designed and proven to work on humans, I don’t see the need to look elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I was turning onto the 118 on ramp yesterday and a crock pot rolled over in the back and spilled.
I pulled to the shoulder mid-way up the ramp to clean it up.

A homeless guy came running up the ramp with his sign yelling "Yo, Yo Yo!" Crazy fucker.
He had his junk staged about where I pulled over and some one had already taken it and he accused me of taking it.
I have bear spray in the cup holder with the quick release safety and trigger and fired a warning blast his way and he ran back down the ramp.

I buy it by the case.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Sure seems to me your wife should report her encounter with this creeper to the authorities....there could be others with similar stories.
How comfortable will your wife be now to run the same route again? That's the fuk'd up part.😡

2Driver

Reaction score
I bought the triple action sprays ( Pepper, tear gas and UV die) from here:

I bought the spray not the stream as a fog blast can be a lot more predictable an effective. These canisters are really easy to use and deploy, no safety switch and pretty hard to hold backwards.

Most important is IMO it to get all the exact same units for the cars and home so you don't have to think about how to deploy. Only thing we own different is full on mega bear spray when we are hiking in Griz country.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I was told by my Sherrif buddy to get Sabre Red gel, so I gave my wife one for her purse and one for her running pack. $15 on Amazon

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
They need to Make 45 , 357, 12 ga spray a little messy but they won’t be return customers 👍

84miller

Reaction score
You can go to any sporting goods store and in the running section (shoes) they offer multiple choices. I carry every time I run a mace/pepper spay it clips on and has a safety. I have it because my neighbor has an aggressive dog that has bit me once already.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
This is the non-lethal piece I carry nice feel shoots straight , come with nice cordura holster and water "test canister" ... warning! looks like a Glock in a metal xray (ask me how I found out;) )

Attachments

• Resized_20200214_155624_3397.jpeg
    Resized_20200214_155624_3397.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 30