WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Performance Boat Driving Tips

DWC

Reaction score
Great thread. Having more eyes than mine is huge. One thing I haven't seen on here is a safety briefing. Whether you have been out with me or not before you hear the same spiel as we head out. I get some rolling eyes but I don't care. As Capt I am responsible for every soul on board and it's my job to keep them safe. Life jacket locations, see something say something, fire extinguisher location, where you can and can't sit. Finally my rule is law if I tell you to do or not do something comply, do not question or you will get dropped off at the dock.
Can you video the next one? The look in newbies eyes have gotta be awesome. :) I do like the idea of letting everyone know where the safety stuff is. Good stuff just in case.
My only warning is on hats. Tuck’em away. We don’t turn around for lost hats. The number of crazy u-turns I’ve seen to pick one up is insane.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Great thread. Having more eyes than mine is huge. One thing I haven't seen on here is a safety briefing. Whether you have been out with me or not before you hear the same spiel as we head out. I get some rolling eyes but I don't care. As Capt I am responsible for every soul on board and it's my job to keep them safe. Life jacket locations, see something say something, fire extinguisher location, where you can and can't sit. Finally my rule is law if I tell you to do or not do something comply, do not question or you will get dropped off at the dock.
Great idea.

I remember hunting with my Dad when I was young, just him and I. He would do this every day, and made a point to ask me if I knew where I was and how to get back to camp. "What would you do in this scenario".

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Can you video the next one? The look in newbies eyes have gotta be awesome. :) I do like the idea of letting everyone know where the safety stuff is. Good stuff just in case.
My only warning is on hats. Tuck’em away. We don’t turn around for lost hats. The number of crazy u-turns I’ve seen to pick one up is insane.

The eye rollers are better when I tell at em later. I just told you not to do that lol.

Reactions: DWC

franky

Reaction score
Occasionally look over your shoulders to see if anyone is running nearby behind you.
This ^^^^^^^ while on the river, someone will come up on you out of nowhere at twice your speed. Best know it is about to happen

Last edited:

franky

Reaction score
Whenever you encounter a wake board boat, flip them off. I don't mean a little private one, get your arm out in the open way up high so they can feel your happiness with them.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Anything I didn't see mentioned, when coming into a "wakeless" zone or coming off plane, right before you lift, look behind you tk make sure there is nobody running up your transom. Saved me and quiet a few on board one time in Parker by doing so. Guy just plowing bow up near the dam didn't notice he was entering all the boats that were starting their float down river. Didnt see me at all as I hit the gas and cracked the wheel to the right as he missed us by about 5 feet (mind you I was already off plane and damn near stopped).
Keep you hand on the throttle at all times. That way you always know what lever you are grabbing
One of the many reasons why I MUCH prefer a foot throttle.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

farmo83

Reaction score
I asked Bob Teague once what he thought the keys to driving performance boats was: He said to know how to read the water, know about other conditions around you, know your craft and how it will respond. And lastly he said none of that mattered unless you had the balls to push that throttle forward.

checkrd past

Reaction score
My number 1 suggestion to everybody . Get a rear view mirror. After getting past up a couple of times by the big 42 foot boats up river with their huge and loud motors at wide open speed just scaring the crap out of me. Now I see them coming and its not a shock