WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Performance Boat Regatta aka CP Regatta aka Jet Bote Regatta

floatn turd

Reaction score
I'd like to go to either this or Billy B's again.

How has the turn out been in recent years?

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Im planning to make it down there. Should be a nice boat ride down from our place at Lost Lake!

brgrcru

Reaction score
Maybe with my Cp
But coming back from Hawaii on Friday , ? who knows ?

LowRiver2

Reaction score
My buddy Wild Bill will be there as he is every year with his 02' 19 and his son's 79' 19' CP's. Lost Lake veteranos

cakemoto

Reaction score
My buddy Wild Bill will be there as he is every year with his 02' 19 and his son's 79' 19' CP's. Lost Lake veteranos
That’s funny because Most the people from Lost lake we’re talking shit saying they were going to stay where the good water was.And the people that wanted to race need to come to them.It’s a huge discussion on Facebook on the SoCal jet boats page

cakemoto

Reaction score
I'd like to go to either this or Billy B's again.

How has the turn out been in recent years?
Quite a bit a difference a Billy b’s you walk around drink beer and look at Showboats.at Blythe you’re sitting on the river with boats going by 100+ miles an hour.If you’re looking for a performance and action I would definitely go to the regatta

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
That’s funny because Most the people from Lost lake we’re talking shit saying they were going to stay where the good water was.And the people that wanted to race need to come to them.It’s a huge discussion on Facebook on the SoCal jet boats page

Boating down from LL. Saturday night racing should be a LL though lol. The first couple of years that we did the regatta at the upper sand bar were bad ass

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Premadonnas

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When / where is this? Rdp is looking for some feature boats of the hotboat variety. V drives, jets etc

LowRiver2

Reaction score

Lost Lake is the Echo Lodge of the lower river

They like the tradition of the 1/8th mile in front of their park.

My friends don’t race, they come down there.

Bacon’s kid’s 79 is one of the first 19’s built.
Still in great shape, handed down three generations.

Bill Bacon won the 10 sec class in NJBA in a CP tunnel with a 468/990’s back in 01’.
I pitted for him (read launched/retrieved boat) that season
Fun times

Swain

Reaction score
We will have a Friday Crew headed up from Blythe

LowRiver2

Reaction score
When / where is this? Rdp is looking for some feature boats of the hotboat variety. V drives, jets etc

This Saturday
Aha Quin (or near there)

Brownie points if you get a quote from
Bill Scotten, lol. He was described as “irascible” in Hot Boat mag once
Fits lol

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Planning on next summer. Want to finish restoring my Liberty tunnel and sit on the sandbar.

Constant840

Reaction score
Didn’t Wild Bill run a Sanger vbottom for a while?

Water is ok by LL. Problem is that section of river can’t comfortably host 100+ boats. They’ve had it up there before and it was rough going.

As for racing, most of the racing will happen on Friday.

Dave, you know I’m always down to do a write up. Think I covered this 3 or 4 years ago.

Constant840

Reaction score
Quite a ways from the Avi.
You’d have to through 2 dams.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Quite a bit a difference a Billy b’s you walk around drink beer and look at Showboats.at Blythe you’re sitting on the river with boats going by 100+ miles an hour.If you’re looking for a performance and action I would definitely go to the regatta

I haven’t been to the CP regatta since 2006 and it was cool, but nowhere near as action packed as Billy’s Needles Rt 66 events. Maybe there’s an exception to be made in the last 2 years...? But, if you count all 3 days of Needles action which I do, the CP regatta I filmed falls way short in comparison.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
In the '80's we'd trailer from McIntyre to LL and the next weekend they'd trailer down to us. I had an Earl Smith '78 18' Texas Tunnel by Tommy Papp. Holy crap that was along time ago!!!

floatn turd

Reaction score
Can someone tell me when the Billy B business is this year?

76 Southwind

Reaction score
I haven’t been to the CP regatta since 2006 and it was cool, but nowhere near as action packed as Billy’s Needles Rt 66 events. Maybe there’s an exception to be made in the last 2 years...? But, if you count all 3 days of Needles action which I do, the CP regatta I filmed falls way short in comparison.
To me its like comparing to different things. One is a show and shine in a parking lot. The other is meeting somewhere on the water to race and BS with nice hardware.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
To me its like comparing to different things. One is a show and shine in a parking lot. The other is meeting somewhere on the water to race and BS with nice hardware.

Don't believe everything you hear. I've attended both so I know the difference.

wzuber

Reaction score
I'd say this perf. boat regatta is more akin to Billy's sept. vacation dealio then the feb. shownshine deal.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I'd say this perf. boat regatta is more akin to Billy's sept. vacation dealio then the feb. shownshine deal.

I disagree. The Pirates cove show was a half day, show n shine parked in the water with zero speed passes (aside from what Wayne did the one year). As far as Billy's Feb show the river has always been open to speed runs and we ran Thurs, Friday Sat and Sunday. Those who attended only Saturday missed out on a lot.

wzuber

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I thought the sept. deal was just a vacation type gathering for any who wanted to attend for the week. I forgot about the pirates cove deal being part of that. And agreed, peeps have always been able to run what they brung in feb. but I don't know that "grudge racing" was allowed? The common denominator being lotsa peeps getting together to enjoy their boats, make new friends, catch up with old friends etc. and have a good time.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I thought the sept. deal was just a vacation type gathering for any who wanted to attend for the week. I forgot about the pirates cove deal being part of that. And agreed, peeps have always been able to run what they brung in feb. but I don't know that "grudge racing" was allowed? The common denominator being lotsa peeps getting together to enjoy their boats, make new friends, catch up with old friends etc. and have a good time.

To some people both are a week long vacation. The Sept. deal used to be a week long gathering at NMP and it was one of 2 vacations each year where we ran the boats as we pleased in front of the park. At some point the Park owners shut down our speed passes and the "vacation" of old was redefined. The Pirates Cove show was added after. Some of the original vacationers have kept vacationing there in spite of the changes. This year, with new park ownership, Billy is hoping to return things to the original vacation format but there's one specific "show" day.

76 Southwind

Reaction score
Your words-> "a Show n shine in a parking lot". You kinda left out the action on the water. I stepped in so the viewing audience didn't get an inaccurate perception.
Correct I did leave that out but not on purpose. I wasn't trying to misrepresent the event in anyway. And there was plenty of crazy fast boats there.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
Your words-> "a Show n shine in a parking lot". You kinda left out the action on the water. I stepped in so the viewing audience didn't get an inaccurate perception.
I picture the Billy B deal as more of a V-drive deal (hence the parking lot reference :D) and the Performance Boat regatta more a jet boat thing- where every boat goes 100mph +;)

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I picture the Billy B deal as more of a V-drive deal (hence the parking lot reference :D) and the Performance Boat regatta more a jet boat thing- where every boat goes 100mph +;)

On a serious note, I’ve grown up with v-drives and eventually started shooting all things v-drive to the point of a small business in the mid 90’s.

I’ve attended, participated in and shot hundreds of events.

The parking lot humor is certainly accurate at most “boat show” or “drag race” events and maybe even at Camp Far West up north, but the usual River functions, v-drive regatta’s and certainly water ski races you’ll see the boats getting used.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anyone going to this thing that has a decent camera and would be willing to get me some feature boats? I’ll make it worth their while.

Constant840

Reaction score
AD3723F0-DF9E-4FC2-A03F-0683BF125171.jpeg
2A6E7BB9-022D-43D0-8A08-E2FA97281426.jpeg
35F8BDF0-8815-4140-AE3E-ABC3E99529AA.jpeg
0D90A31E-3AEF-4370-A4A3-029DCA18788A.jpeg
CDFE6A02-C6FA-4F25-A0B3-CD53C061DF0A.jpeg

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Good work Constant [emoji106]

Wish we were there this year but couldn’t pull it off last minute.

brgrcru

Reaction score
I’ve only seen them with outboards and almost every KMG Phantom I’ve seen have had a shallow open bow.

I think that was an O/b at one time ? Corey the old owner completey re-did the entire boat . New everything. Plus gel . And is a runner . I think it's got a 582 under the hatch .

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
The amount of beer cans in the water today around the sand bar is pretty disappointing.

I don’t remember it being that bad before.