WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Personal effects from an impounded car?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
So, a friend of mine died and his car was impounded. Full of medical records and paper work. Brother only family left on other side of country doesn’t care. Is there anyway to get in to get this stuff without waiting to get probate papers? Still not even sure where the car is. Probably a yard in Lebec

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Depends on the yard...and who's working. With it being a friend and not family, it will be a bit more difficult. The yard shouldn't realease anything, don't know legalities, but sometimes they will if there is no investigation pending.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Was the vehicle impounded due to an accident that caused the death?

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I have had no success even when it was my vehicle that had been stolen and no police investigation involved. Yard just said it was all theirs until I paid for it. Pretty shitty when what I wanted out of it was a pair of prescription sunglasses. Thieves ran out of gas offroading my 4x4 Toyota, jacked it up and removed the wheels and tires, and then broke out every window.
I am all for hanging car thieves in public.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Are you the estate rep or executor? I’d call an attorney...several good ones on the board.

azsunfun

Reaction score
Depends on the yard...and who's working. With it being a friend and not family, it will be a bit more difficult. The yard shouldn't realease anything, don't know legalities, but sometimes they will if there is no investigation pending.
dwc exactly right

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So, a friend of mine died and his car was impounded. Full of medical records and paper work. Brother only family left on other side of country doesn’t care. Is there anyway to get in to get this stuff without waiting to get probate papers? Still not even sure where the car is. Probably a yard in Lebec

Does any of this stuff belong to you?

I know someone that works at an impound yard...

boatpi

Reaction score
IF it was a private party tow as suggested, then the registered owner can get the car. As to docs inside, all up to the garage. All the registered owner can do is call and ask. Also a notarized latter from the owner to you, may work too. Ask the garage if that is acceptable, generally the manager or owner to discuss. if you PM me the plate or post it, can determine if the CHP, or it was a private impound.