WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Photoglue Going Green? Tahoe Beats Accord in MPG:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
"And the Chevy Tahoe 2 Mode hybrid absolutely does that. I suppose that's why it's the "Green Car of the Year."

It's really strange to see such a collassal vehicle pinned with that label, but it's also hard to deny the power of the innovations that make this radical increase in fuel efficiency possible.

The Tahoe gets the same city fuel efficiency as a 2008 Honda Accord. In city driving, the Tahoe rarely even turns on its gasoline engine, and the 2 mode system allows the electric engine to continue assisting the car even at very high speeds, increasing highway economy as well.

City drivers get a more than a 50% increase in fuel economy by switching to the hybrid. "

- Above quoted from the The Green News

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
"And the Chevy Tahoe 2 Mode hybrid absolutely does that. I suppose that's why it's the "Green Car of the Year."

It's really strange to see such a collassal vehicle pinned with that label, but it's also hard to deny the power of the innovations that make this radical increase in fuel efficiency possible.

The Tahoe gets the same city fuel efficiency as a 2008 Honda Accord. In city driving, the Tahoe rarely even turns on its gasoline engine, and the 2 mode system allows the electric engine to continue assisting the car even at very high speeds, increasing highway economy as well.

City drivers get a more than a 50% increase in fuel economy by switching to the hybrid. "

- Above quoted from the The Green News

Lets just hope GM has done their R&D well and don't manufacture a huge problematic vehicle. We just might buy one down the road.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Lets just hope GM has done their R&D well and don't manufacture a huge problematic vehicle. We just might buy one down the road.

Good Take.
We agree.
Love to have one we can plug in as well.
I have the perfect spot for some solar charger cells.
GM is either excellent on their game,, or ya get a Vega.

Delco batteries used to be soo awesome. But now, ya can hardly even find them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Maybe someone can explain a simple question for me..

When you take a car battery out of your car, you can't just throw it in the trash. Point in fact the battery is one of the hardest things on the enviroment in a car.

Why is the "green" solution to pack cars full of batteries instead of looking at alternative fuels? Batteries (all batteries) have a limited life cycle. Where are we going to stick all these hazmat matteries every couple of years? When the batteries stop taking full charge, or even half charges, how much to they cost to replace?

I'm really not sold on the electric car just yet.

RD

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score

When you take a car battery out of your car, you can't just throw it in the trash. Point in fact the battery is one of the hardest things on the enviroment in a car.

Why is the "green" solution to pack cars full of batteries instead of looking at alternative fuels? Batteries (all batteries) have a limited life cycle. Where are we going to stick all these hazmat matteries every couple of years? When the batteries stop taking full charge, or even half charges, how much to they cost to replace?

RD

Excellent Point :hmm

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

RD

Exactly. There was an email I received a while ago about which is wore for the environment, and H2 or a Prius.....guess which one was worse ;)

the manufacturing of batteries and the strip mining alone for the materials are more devestating than any gas burning vehicle. the Hybrids are a step in the right direction but ulitmately to be "Green" you should have to look at all facets of the buidling and disposing process.
________
Outdoor Milf

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Batteries are very recyclable, and as far as I can remember they always have been, and among the easiest things to re-cycle, and among the first, and it's a indefinate recycle loop,, over and over.

$5 core charge/trade-in has been around a long time too.
The Lead & Zinc is melted back down in an enclosed chamber and re-poured back into plates.

The casings too. Melted and re-poured into a new case.

The acid filtered then re-filled into the newly built battery .
And there you have it.

I remember as early as 1974 LADWP doing it's own in house recycling and re-making batteries almost entirely from old batteries.
Electric golfcarts are over 95% recyclable.

Here's a link to better understand how it's done with ALL batteries today:
http://www.batterycouncil.org/recycling.html

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
TPC, those are lead acid batteries.. I don't think that's the same as the Lithium batteries they are using the Hybrids (and just about everything else that needs massive electrical storage in a confined space.. cell phones, new drills etc.... )

Some interesting reading on the future of Electric storage, or in this case "production" ;) "Fuel cells" are the way of the future according to all of this. Methanol fuel cells that create electricity, or now even better yet enzymes that convert sugar into electricity, and are biodegradable when there finished.

http://www.instablogs.com/tags/lithium-ion-battery/

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
TPC, those are lead acid batteries.. I don't think that's the same as the Lithium batteries they are using the Hybrids (and just about everything else that needs massive electrical storage in a confined space.. cell phones, new drills etc.... )

Some interesting reading on the future of Electric storage, or in this case "production" ;) "Fuel cells" are the way of the future according to all of this. Methanol fuel cells that create electricity, or now even better yet enzymes that convert sugar into electricity, and are biodegradable when there finished.

http://www.instablogs.com/tags/lithium-ion-battery/

I get ya Dave.
All I know about Lithium batteries is never throw them in the campfire.
They explode with red hot molten shrapnel everyplace.
Deadly
When people burn their trash, they sometime get them in the fire that were orig thrown away.
It's a tragic explosion for sure.