WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Physical maintenance over 40 or fuck it?

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
What’s your game plan? Do you have a weight/BMI range that you like to operate within? Anything over 185 lbs for me and I start losing that pop in my step and become heavy footed. Shifting from glucose to ketones seems to be a good way for me to maintain a weight where I can move, it’s all about movement for me. My energy levels sky rocket on ketones, mental clarity gets very crisp and sharp, I burn off 2lbs of fat a week consistently. Lowest weight I’ve hit to is 175lbs, at that weight I still feel strong and I can jog but its not too hard on my joints. obviously ketones are not sustainable to operate on for extended periods of time, but damn it feels good LOL

So how are you holding it together, or did you just say fuck it?

sintax

Reaction score
i'll let you know when i hit 40 :)

but honestly the recipe should be the same, but the outcome should be just a bit less dramatic as we age.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Yea, somewhere around there you will swear you hit a brick wall. I did not have a program in place and am now regretting it. I am now working on starting one.

JD D05

Reaction score
I am 37 and don't do any diet or anything I just try and keep my intake down. I do go to the gym about 4 times a week and mostly just lift weights. I am 6'3 240 would like to be 230.

HitIt

Reaction score
What’s your game plan? Do you have a weight/BMI range that you like to operate within? Anything over 185 lbs for me and I start losing that pop in my step and become heavy footed. Shifting from glucose to ketones seems to be a good way for me to maintain a weight where I can move, it’s all about movement for me. My energy levels sky rocket on ketones, mental clarity gets very crisp and sharp, I burn off 2lbs of fat a week consistently. Lowest weight I’ve hit to is 175lbs, at that weight I still feel strong and I can jog but its not too hard on my joints. obviously ketones are not sustainable to operate on for extended periods of time, but damn it feels good LOL

I am a touch over 40. My reply to you would basically be the exact thing that you typed. This includes the weights...though the lowest I got was a touch under 170 and people were telling me to eat. I occasionally move above 190 and feel like shit.

When I am heavy into ketosis, I occasionally get these "power surges" and I feel like I need to do push-ups or run around. It is really weird (but feels amazing). Sex drive goes up, too. When I mod my diet for ketosis, I also cut alcohol so that changes the equation, too.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I haven't been under 185 since I was 13 or so. I wouldn't even know what that felt like. What I do know is I need to stop lifting so heavy at the gym. These joints are going to give out at some point and walking around at a swole 250 or so isn't the best for me as well. I do have a daughter becoming a teenager in a couple weeks so the wife says I have to stay huge for a bit.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
I am pushing 60 and started the Keto diet over a year ago and went from a high of around 350 to about 230 where I have been staying. I hit the treadmill everyday for 2 miles and do a few basic lifts with some 25lb dumbbells which takes me about 30 min. I wish I would have started this years ago, I really didn't know how bad I was until I began felling better.

JD D05

Reaction score
I haven't been under 185 since I was 13 or so. I wouldn't even know what that felt like. What I do know is I need to stop lifting so heavy at the gym. These joints are going to give out at some point and walking around at a swole 250 or so isn't the best for me as well. I do have a daughter becoming a teenager in a couple weeks so the wife says I have to stay huge for a bit.

I use to lift heavy but moved to lower high rep stuff a few years ago. Once upon a time I use to rep 225 43 times.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Peacock much? 🤦‍♂️

Singleton

Reaction score
Was pushing 215 in December at 6’ and 45yo.
Changed up my diet (cut out sweet snacks, limited intake - overall healthier eating) and started home exercise challenges. Down to 190 (goal is 185) and my BMI, BP and cholesterol levels have all improved.

you can do it once over 40, just harder to stay in the routine

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm down to a weight I never wanted to get up too, :rolleyes: Doing some walking, and starting to get in a routine..... push ups, pull up (hoping to do 2 soon :rolleyes:) sit-ups.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I was once 310+/-
Began Keto ~ Sept 2017.
Got down to 208.
Been able to maintain 90% of that loss since.
I worked out when fat but ate like shit. My workouts didn't really change.
Older you get the more you need to realize what your putting between you teeth(no Fn way I was gonna say lips,not on rdp)😂

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
A few years ago I got up to 230, I'm 6' so way too heavy. I started to make my lunch every day, no fast food and I don't eat any carbs after 3pm. I've been able to stay at about 195. My only exercise is Sundays at the moto track doing laps. I feel good at that weight and as long as I stay true on my program during the week I can eat whatever I want on the weekends. I'm 57 years old, still moto, take my dog for a nightly run on my skateboard, and swim almost every night with my daughter. She's 13 so that helps to keep me moving, I'm a firm believer in use it or lose it, gotta stay active.

Singleton

Reaction score
I was once 310+/-
Began Keto ~ Sept 2017.
Got down to 208.
Been able to maintain 90% of that loss since.
I worked out when fat but ate like shit. My workouts didn't really change.
Older you get the more you need to realize what your putting between you teeth(no Fn way I was gonna say lips,not on rdp)😂

with my wife working for 24hr Fitness, I had discounted training sessions.
every trainer said, “watch what you eat, that is 90% of the job“. Never listened.
when my work pants and shirts started getting to tight, and my wife telling me she is not purchasing anything with a waist over 32, I had 2 choices. Go shopping by myself or eat right and exercise. Picked option 2, it was cheaper :)

dribble

Reaction score
I’m 64, 5’11” and weigh 171-175. I can do about ten pull-ups and have benched as much as 205 but am now at about 185. I’ll do 70 lb dumbbells. I have this thing where I have to waterski every year and get up first try. I currently have a broken hand (dirt bike crash that knocked me out). But I did get up and ski first try last week with my broken hand. This is the 46th consecutive year (including 2003 when I shattered my left leg and knee fromanother dirt bike crash). I believe that strong muscles make strong bones and that’s what I focus on most. A few years after nearly losing my leg in the 2003 crash, I started doing strength training. I was told that I would need a total knee replacement by 2012. I‘ve not had to have that done. I try to limit carbs, focus on animal protein and don’t worry about fat. I only workout about twice a week.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Gonna hit 44 in july

6' and I sit right around 185lbs. I start to look pretty cut at 175 but I have to go pretty hard on the clean eating and no booze for a couple weeks to get there. Overall being a type 1 diabetic i do my best to eat well limit carbs and sugar and keep my blood sugar in non diabetic range.

My knee,ankle and hip joints have been bothering me for years. Pretty sure i picked up my moms early onset arthritis. If i run everything hurts for a week if i go barefoot for the day it hurts for 2 days...lol

You know you are getting old when the comfort of the shoes are becoming more important than the looks.:p

Luckily i'm still athletic and can still mob skateboards,bikes,etc with my 11 yearold.

Magic Mike

Reaction score
Eat healthy, walk a lot, easy weights, do Jiu jitsu if you want a hard workout.

HitIt

Reaction score
I have been thinking about starting keto again to get ready for summer. All of this quarantine crap has demotivated me and I have been eating way shittier than I normally do. I am headed into summer way fatter than I hoped. Makes skiing and waterboarding harder than it should be.

Fuck it. I am starting today. Should be much better my the end of June. Thanks for the motivation.

BTW: Intermittent fasting is pretty great, too, and works well with keto.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
I turn 41 in a few months, and will be doing my first Ironman if they ever let us out of the house. Swimming is my weakness, but 3k yards is doable straight. biking 100+ miles is no biggy, and I've always been able to run.

Stay active, or spend forever getting back in shape.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I have a few years to 40, but I expect to do the same stuff I do now at 36.
-Stay in the 5 rep range for the big 3, hitting those a couple of days a week, and doing some complementary accessory work
-Stay active by hiking, biking, and walking
-Work in some conditioning/cardio on the Peloton and bag every now and then

I'm 5'9 and fluctuate between 180 and 190. Hopefully I can hold it here long term. I like working out, so as long as my body holds it together, I'll do it.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Use it or lose it [emoji106]

I’m pushing 50, lifted weights/isolation-type exercise for most of my life.

I’ve changed to increasing intensity/interval training, so my workouts are shorter.

I’ve shifted to compound movements, core strengthening, and corrective-posture things to prevent slouching.

Thinks like Turkish getups, Bulgarian split-squats, movements that I never used to do.

I’m really connecting with these workouts at Athlean X:

I’ve got gut issues/celiac, but I’ve got a 30” waist, weigh 160 and honestly feel like am in close to the best shape of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
47 in June and I am getting close again to the fittest I have ever been. Resting heart rate at under 40 with a max at close to 200bpm. I eat right most of the time, I train and workout one to four hours a day right now to get back in to shape. My legs look like a 25 year old body builders right now, but still carrying a little love handles. God damn things are always the first to come back and always the last to come off. Ugh. :( I HATE love handles and I am prone to them. I could literally see a six pack coming through and still have love handles.

Typical day for me right now is a 1-4 hour ride in the morning, 45min ride in the evening, some core, strength. Other stuff added in is paddle boarding (our club brings them to the beach for us with just a text!!!! how cool is that), lots of hiking and walking. We eat a ton of greens and lean protein. Diet is 95% of how you look, the other 5% is what dictates how you shape that lean body and where you put the muscle.

At 6'1" I wear a 32 pant, weigh 178lbs but working on getting in to low 160s. I am still carrying upper body when I was going to the gym a lot when I quit racing.

I do like to drink tiki rum drinks and that is my biggest downfall. :D oh and sweets, and bread and, and, and.... :D

spectras only

Reaction score
I'm 73 and my weight is around 160. My metabolism has always been rock solid maintaining my weight in the 172 average in the past. Now I don't exercise much other than do some walks/hike with some 6% grades around on my hill where I live,
Wouldn't want to put more weight on, that would slow my track time down :D

Cdog

Reaction score
43 here. Prior to this time off for Rona I was repping 315 on bench day. Just went Wednesday first time since March and I got up 275 max. It's gonna take some time but I'll be back. I cant get too big because I won't fit in my race car. It's already real tight....I do feel it a lot more now though. Time to start laying off the heavy and trim up. I'm 5-11 generally 195-200 lbs. 185 would be ideal. I'm currently low/no carb until Tomorrow to complete two weeks. Cheated a little last night for my daughters b day cake.

My plan from here on out is to maintain strength but lean out and try to hit that 185 goal. I check my progress by the depth of my belly button LOL! 3-4 work outs a week. 1st day is chest & tri, 2nd is back & bys, 3rd is shoulders and legs. Each day I do 30 min of cardio. elliptical, bike etc...Steam room and spa is great on the 4th day to relax. Problem is I get nothing done for the rest of the day.

Diet is limited carbs & sugar. Primarily Meat and Veg.....Mediterranean diet, more salads.

413F1D3A-9804-42ED-85FB-6B3D35C9954D.jpeg

8681D762-716E-47BB-9FF9-9994324F514D_1_105_c.jpeg

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Gonna hit 44 in july

6' and I sit right around 185lbs. I start to look pretty cut at 175 but I have to go pretty hard on the clean eating and no booze for a couple weeks to get there. Overall being a type 1 diabetic i do my best to eat well limit carbs and sugar and keep my blood sugar in non diabetic range.

My knee,ankle and hip joints have been bothering me for years. Pretty sure i picked up my moms early onset arthritis. If i run everything hurts for a week if i go barefoot for the day it hurts for 2 days...lol

You know you are getting old when the comfort of the shoes are becoming more important than the looks.:p

Luckily i'm still athletic and can still mob skateboards,bikes,etc with my 11 yearold.
You're cut? Bwhahahahahahaha.....lol😂😂😉😉

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
You're cut? Bwhahahahahahaha.....lol😂😂😉😉

I think im doing ok for my age :p :cool:

I have been watching my weight alot closer for the past probably 8 years to help out with the joint pain. Back in the hotboat days i probably weighed closer to 205.

Attachments

• bj.jpg
    bj.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I think im doing ok for my age :p :cool:
I'm just fuckin with u bro...lol....If that's a recent pic....looking cut bro...lol. It only gets harder. I'm probably about 210...was just about to get into the swing of things at the gym when all this bullshit went down and closed the gym...🙄
1625.jpeg

brgrcru

Reaction score
ill be 55 in a couple months . 6'0 198 lbs. no meds.
mountain biking , 40/50 miles a week, lifting light weights, every other day, for the most part. for 45 minutes.
diet is a lot better . but still cant cant get rid of those chocolate chip cookies.
would like to get down 185. don't know, if i want to get rid of eating those damn cookies. though .

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Does anyone use blood work and a doctor to monitor your health? At 35 and haven't seen a doctor in probably 10 year since I had my elbow scoped for a chipped bone. I keep thinking I should use technology available to us today to monitor my health, I'm sure there is something I am deficient in and blood work could probably be an early indicator for oncoming issues, maybe cancer? I maintain a healthy weight and stay active, but I'm sure there is more I could do to be proactive/preventative. I was thinking a doctor that specialized in keeping people healthy, or should I say optimizing health, is something I should seek out soon.

HitIt

Reaction score
I was thinking a doctor that specialized in keeping people healthy, or should I say optimizing health, is something I should seek out soon.

Which country are you going to start your search in?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I'm just fuckin with u bro...lol....If that's a recent pic....looking cut bro...lol. It only gets harder. I'm probably about 210...was just about to get into the swing of things at the gym when all this bullshit went down and closed the gym...🙄 View attachment 879531

You got that prison style barrel chest.... i will never have that...lol:D

Gym won't do it you gotta get down to 185 and mama won't be able to leave you alone...lol

pronstar

Reaction score
Does anyone use blood work and a doctor to monitor your health? At 35 and haven't seen a doctor in probably 10 year since I had my elbow scoped for a chipped bone. I keep thinking I should use technology available to us today to monitor my health, I'm sure there is something I am deficient in and blood work could probably be an early indicator for oncoming issues, maybe cancer? I maintain a healthy weight and stay active, but I'm sure there is more I could do to be proactive/preventative. I was thinking a doctor that specialized in keeping people healthy, or should I say optimizing health, is something I should seek out soon.

I’m on testosterone replacement therapy, so I get bloodwork every 3 months.

TRT/HRT is a game changer for those over 40 [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

HBCraig

Reaction score
I’m on testosterone replacement therapy, so I get bloodwork every 3 months.

TRT/HRT is a game changer for those over 40 [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

How did you begin the process? What kind of doctor did you see initially? Orthopedic?
Does insurance cover it?

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Which country are you going to start your search in?

My home is in Menifee, CA, so probably the USA. Not sure if that was a serious question, or sarcastic. There are people like Dr. Peter Attia and Dr. Rhonda Patrick that do what I am looking for, but they're both East Coast based.

Last edited:

HitIt

Reaction score
My home is in Menifee, CA, so probably the USA. Not sure if that was a serious question, or sarcastic.
Sorry, that was sarcastic. Most docs in the US don't seem interested in health. I am sure they are out there though. Most of the health-centric remedies and practices that I implement have been stumbled upon via the interwebs.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I always like to share these photos as it gives guys hope that may feel they just can't get back in shape.

Early 30s and 200 plus lbs.

20181025_110743.jpg

200lbs but lifting and fighting a lot. I was still fat but had muscle under my fat. haha
CIMG0025-736237.jpg

Then my 40s! 159lbs and under 6% body fat. Photo was taken after winning a hillclimb race in Tahoe.
FB_IMG_1520277273400.jpg

Solo win and almost lapped the field on a 2.5 mile course/lap/1.5hour race of about 50 riders in the 35plus age group. People who don't race bikes dont realize the fastest category besides Pro 1-2 is the masters 35 plus and 45 plus. Many times there are 45 year olds that put out time trial times faster than any of the cat 1-2 guys! Insane.
8018071105_967c365c5b_b (1).jpg

I'm not in that shape right now but workong on. Most people think I look better right now because I'm not so skinny. hahaha :D

Last edited:

jetur

Reaction score
I'm 5'11" and range from 200 lbs in the winter to about 185 lbs in the summer. It's so F@#$ing hot in PHX I don't want to be overweight in the summer. If I start getting up there I can jump in with one of my crews and easily shed 10 lbs in a week but its hardly worth it when I get back to the stack on my desk the following week.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I don't know what my blood work says, I just know what it looks like on my bare knuckles after a heavy bag workout! 😂

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I always like to share these photos as it gives guys hope that may feel they just can't get back in shape.

Early 30s and 200 plus lbs.

View attachment 879533

Then my 40s! 159lbs and under 6% body fat. Photo was taken after winning a hillclimb race in Tahoe. View attachment 879534
Solo win and almost lapped the field on a 2.5 mile course/lap/1.5hour race of about 50 riders in the 35plus age group. People who don't race bikes dont realize the fastest category besides Pro 1-2 is the masters 35 plus and 45 plus. Many times there are 45 year olds that put out time trial times faster than any of the cat 1-2 guys! Insane.
View attachment 879536

I'm not in that shape right now but workong on. Most people think I look better right now because I'm not so skinny. hahaha :D
Lol, I've had a few people who said I looked too skinny after loosing the 100lbs too. They'd never seen me leaner before nor were some of them exactly the picture of "healthy" either😅
I'm 6'2" so ultimately I'd like to be around 200. At 58 yrs of age and some physical limitations not sure I can get there without 100% commitment.

pronstar

Reaction score
How did you begin the process? What kind of doctor did you see initially? Orthopedic?
Does insurance cover it?

First step is to find a doc who specializes in men’s health, or is in-tune with modern medicine.

I say this because lots of old-timers will say “it’s perfectly natural for testosterone/hormone levels to drop as you age” and they won’t prescribe shit.

My first doc was my DO while in CA. In Dallas I go to a group called T Off Men’s Health.

Some docs will put you on HRT/HGH (human growth hormone) at 40 as a general rule. I’m only on TRT but am considering HGH.

My old “Cadillac plan” coverage covered testosterone, new plan doesn’t. But it only costs me about $90 every 3 months for the gel that I rub onto my shoulders every morning.

I’m fortunate that I can maintain levels with the gel, but I had to kick-start things with injections for a few months to get my levels up.

Some guys can only maintain with regular injections.