WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Physical maintenance over 40 or fuck it?

JD D05

Reaction score
I work out!
20200422_102341.jpg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
First step is to find a doc who specializes in men’s health, or is in-tune with modern medicine.

I say this because lots of old-timers will say “it’s perfectly natural for testosterone/hormone levels to drop as you age” and they won’t prescribe shit.

My first doc was my DO while in CA. In Dallas I go to a group called T Off Men’s Health.

Some docs will put you on HRT/HGH (human growth hormone) at 40 as a general rule. I’m only on TRT but am considering HGH.

My old “Cadillac plan” coverage covered testosterone, new plan doesn’t. But it only costs me about $90 every 3 months for the gel that I rub onto my shoulders every morning.

I’m fortunate that I can maintain levels with the gel, but I had to kick-start things with injections for a few months to get my levels up.

Some guys can only maintain with regular injections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T treatments are becoming more popular and accepted. But they can be very expensive if not covered by insurance and you need the injections. I don't have the cash flow to cover that stuff, but have some friends that swear by it. If the gel works for you that's awesome. No needles is always a good thing.

Only cautions I have heard are in relation to blood pressure and Cancer issues. Those treatments (as I'm sure you know) only make those issues worse.

Cdog

Reaction score
I'm 5'11" and range from 200 lbs in the winter to about 185 lbs in the summer. It's so F@#$ing hot in PHX I don't want to be overweight in the summer. If I start getting up there I can jump in with one of my crews and easily shed 10 lbs in a week but its hardly worth it when I get back to the stack on my desk the following week.

I don’t know how fattys do it here in the AZ heat. It’s fuckin horrible dragging around more that you have to. Haha!!

Cdog

Reaction score
First step is to find a doc who specializes in men’s health, or is in-tune with modern medicine.

I say this because lots of old-timers will say “it’s perfectly natural for testosterone/hormone levels to drop as you age” and they won’t prescribe shit.

My first doc was my DO while in CA. In Dallas I go to a group called T Off Men’s Health.

Some docs will put you on HRT/HGH (human growth hormone) at 40 as a general rule. I’m only on TRT but am considering HGH.

My old “Cadillac plan” coverage covered testosterone, new plan doesn’t. But it only costs me about $90 every 3 months for the gel that I rub onto my shoulders every morning.

I’m fortunate that I can maintain levels with the gel, but I had to kick-start things with injections for a few months to get my levels up.

Some guys can only maintain with regular injections.

A couple of my friends in Dallas do this. Something called Soto pill injection. Others have shots & gels. They’re in their 50’s though trying to keep up with me.

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
What’s your game plan? Do you have a weight/BMI range that you like to operate within? Anything over 185 lbs for me and I start losing that pop in my step and become heavy footed. Shifting from glucose to ketones seems to be a good way for me to maintain a weight where I can move, it’s all about movement for me. My energy levels sky rocket on ketones, mental clarity gets very crisp and sharp, I burn off 2lbs of fat a week consistently. Lowest weight I’ve hit to is 175lbs, at that weight I still feel strong and I can jog but its not too hard on my joints. obviously ketones are not sustainable to operate on for extended periods of time, but damn it feels good LOL

So how are you holding it together, or did you just say fuck it?
I don't even know for sure if that's in English :eek:

Cdog

Reaction score
wtf? not even going to finish making that sammich? you must be starving!
Saturday I get to go back to limited bread intake. It’s not that bad though. I mostly miss bread with breakfast. 4 eggs sunny side up, bacon & sourdough is my favorite.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Nutrition and fitness go hand in hand.

There are a ton of books/documentaries on food, but this one was a game-changer for me.

It’s simple...nutrition doesn’t have to be complicated at all.

Highly recommend the full documentary and/or the audiobook [emoji106]

Cdog

Reaction score
The hardest part about food is understanding most of it is for fuel, not pleasure. Most awesome tasting food is fatness, cheap and easily assessable so it becomes a staple for most people. Follow that path and the fatness hits.

It’s harder to be active if you’re fat so don’t be fat lol!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Saturday I get to go back to limited bread intake. It’s not that bad though. I mostly miss bread with breakfast. 4 eggs sunny side up, bacon & sourdough is my favorite.
eggs and bacon sounds good. i'll be hangin' out over in the griddle thread. 👍
My morning ritual is 4 egg whites scrambled with bacon bits, onions, shrooms, sometimes veggies and some cheese and a side of two 🥓
Carbs are a virtual zero intake these days.
The diet got me off my statin Rx and lowered all the bad numbers I had.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The hardest part about food is understanding most of it is for fuel, not pleasure. Most awesome tasting food is fatness, cheap and easily assessable so it becomes a staple for most people. Follow that path and the fatness hits.

It’s harder to be active if you’re fat so don’t be fat lol!
So, so true.
If I pick up and carry a sack of concrete now it's heavy as Fk. Blows my mind I carried near two sacks within my body before the weight-loss.

playdeep

Reaction score
62 yrs. old. 5,'10 172...down from 189
I've always worked out.Current regimen is Hiking/Mtn.biking/trail running. since gyms are closed.
Used to do heavy weights...thought benching 6 45's(315) was cool.
Then the shoulders went on strike.Now I do lighter weight more focused on range of motion in all my workouts
Took up Muay Thai at 56 because the new girlfriend was good friends with Mike Winklejohn...best/most fun thing I've ever done.Nothing better for cardio~range of motion.It's amazing what the body can do even late in life.
Started BJJ late last year....like it a lot but realistically I shouldn't be doing it.
Shit breaks&gets put out of place on old guys...probably won't continue.
I guess point is you're never to old to start but it's a shit ton easier if you start early&continue.
Never felt better.
I work out 6 days a week...it's just lifestyle for me.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
You got that prison style barrel chest.... i will never have that...lol:D

Gym won't do it you gotta get down to 185 and mama won't be able to leave you alone...lol
He's about the height of a barrel too😁

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
While I haven't hit the big 40 yet, I have had to keep a solid diet and workout regime after I broke both of my legs. One was similar to RD's break at the ankle and the second was my tib/fib (both motocross related). At my heaviest which was about 9 years ago, I weighted 220 pounds at 6'3'' and loved pain killers and fried food. I felt fucking horrible so I decided to change it up. I currently hover around 170 pounds.

For diet, I eat baked chicken with dry seasoning and steamed broccoli for lunch every day and eat healthy dinners during the week consisting of a meat and vegetable the with an occasional "cheat" night when work schedules prohibits us cooking up something on the healthier side. Weekends are fair game for anything and everything (booze, food, etc.).

That being said there is no replacement for consistent cardio. I target to spin a minimum of 60 miles a week cycling mixed with upper body workouts (push ups, pull ups, etc.). I ride motocross on the weekends in the winter and during the summer I ride stand up jet skis, water ski, etc. I try to keep myself moving all the time.

J 2

Reaction score
Does anyone use blood work and a doctor to monitor your health? At 35 and haven't seen a doctor in probably 10 year since I had my elbow scoped for a chipped bone. I keep thinking I should use technology available to us today to monitor my health, I'm sure there is something I am deficient in and blood work could probably be an early indicator for oncoming issues, maybe cancer? I maintain a healthy weight and stay active, but I'm sure there is more I could do to be proactive/preventative. I was thinking a doctor that specialized in keeping people healthy, or should I say optimizing health, is something I should seek out soon.
What you're looking for can be found with some Chiropractors who went further with their studies. My wife works for a Chiropractor who has advanced degrees. He does applied kinesiology, functional medicine & neurology. He reads your blood in the new way, he helped my son when he admitted he stopped going to class while away at college and was sleeping 14 hours a day & depressed. It was his diet, took him about 6 months of eating right for his body. This was 4 years ago. Now at 23 he's back to being in football shape like he was in high school and is 9 months away from graduating on the 6 year plan, nope he's not gonna be a doctor. I had already learned about myself when it comes to food & exercise over the years, he helped me do this better at 57 years old. He also has 2 teenagers with serious health problems, he's told me about visits to the doctors when he questions the doctor. This guy will read the medical journal and really know what he's talking about.

No, insurance doesn't cover it. It's in the hundreds to do this, but when you do it once you'll learn a lot about what you should and shouldn't eat. I recommend this to anyone that really wants to understand their personal make up, we're all different in this way.

El Rojo

Reaction score
Fuck it, I’m 45 and still wear the same size pants I did in high school...if there was a workout for hair regrowth than maybe I’d do that lol, no one gives a shit about some ripped bald old fuck

4Waters

Reaction score
I'm 5'8" and was 225 before lockdown and going down, now that I'm not hitting the gym I'm 240. I start looking pretty cut at 185.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
We have been eating low carb for a while, paleo’ish I call it. We treat ourselves to something about once a week.

Any way, had a lunch work meeting today. I ordered a pizza and ate the whole thing. Lol

I had to come home and take a nap. Carb overload for sure.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
So much of weight loss is diet. You can't really work out your way to a healthy weight without cutting out crap food.

What really helped me is this supplement: EVL Lean Mode. https://www.evlnutrition.com/products/lean-mode

I add the contents of a capsule or two to a protein shake in the morning after a workout. So usually every other day.
Milk, Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey powder. A LeanMode capsule, some chondroitin, a Vitamin C, and some Move Free Joint Relief. I just toss the pills into the blender with a little milk and spin em up on high. I hate choking down those horse pills. The high speed blender turns them into liquid.

Chocolate flavor goes great with a big spoon full of peanut butter. The Strawberry flavor gets a whole banana chucked in. If I'm feeling slow I add some instant coffee for a boost. It fills me up and I don't get hungry until around 2:00. If I have a healthy snack that late, then I'm not that hungry for dinner...so you eat less then too.

I add the protein powder to the blender last, and just mix it in on low speed. Otherwise it gets all aireated and bubbly. You can use yogurt too. This is super easy. The supplement makes you feel full and curbs the appetite. So I skip fast food, skip that lunchtime soda. Pretty much only drink on weekends. Simple things.

Remember a can of coke is like 120 calories. To burn 120 calories you have to walk uphill, fast, for a mile. Think about it, and then you have a water instead... LOL

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
You got that prison style barrel chest.... i will never have that...lol:D

Gym won't do it you gotta get down to 185 and mama won't be able to leave you alone...lol
Would love to get down to 185. Getting back in the gym...my workout will definitely be changing for the first time in many years. Lighter weights, higher reps and core work to get my swole back son. And mama will never leave my shit alone no matter what...lol....😂

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Would love to get down to 185. Getting back in the gym...my workout will definitely be changing for the first time in many years. Lighter weights, higher reps and core work to get my swole back son. And mama will never leave my shit alone no matter what...lol....😂

At 5’6” you’ll still look fat. :D

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
You don’t need to go to the gym, you can shed fat by diet only.

25-50 grams of carbs a day (everyone is different)
Zero sugar and keep the fat in intake up.
coffee, tea, or water.

you do that and in 72 hours your body will start consuming itself and using stored fat for energy. 7-10lbs of water weight loss within 10 days and then 2lbs of fat will be burned as fuel a week.

have 2 Double doubles at In n Out for lunch wrapped in lettuce if you want, no shit.

Reaction score
73 yrs. 6'3" 198 lbs. just recently dipped under 200+ lbs. for first time in years. mainly from Dog walking. My iPhone app called "map my walk" sez 4.25 miles on morning walk and 5.25 miles on afternoon walk. I mainly loop around these ponds multiple times. that's 9 1/2 miles a day, sometimes a little more/less.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
I use to lift heavy but moved to lower high rep stuff a few years ago. Once upon a time I use to rep 225 43 times.
225...43 times....common brother, you gotta be blowing smoke. Currently I'm 58 years old, 6'- weigh 225 lbs. In my prime, lifted heavy, weighed 250 lbs. Weighing 250, my bench was 385/390 lbs. My best bench, repping 225lbs, was 25 reps. Have worked out with some very strong peeps in my time, some of them were nationally ranked power lifters. I don't know of anybody hitting 225lbs 43 times. Benching 225 for reps is one of the Pro Football combine strength tests, rarely does anybody press 225lbs more than 35 reps.

JD D05

Reaction score
225...43 times....common brother, you gotta be blowing smoke. Currently I'm 58 years old, 6'- weigh 225 lbs. In my prime, lifted heavy, weighed 250 lbs. Weighing 250, my bench was 385/390 lbs. My best bench, repping 225lbs, was 25 reps. Have worked out with some very strong peeps in my time, some of them were nationally ranked power lifters. I don't know of anybody hitting 225lbs 43 times. Benching 225 for reps is one of the Pro Football combine strength tests, rarely does anybody press 225lbs more than 35 reps.

I'm not blowing smoke. I watched the combine and started working up to it for 3 years. I can't come anywhere near that now. Not a big deal to me if anyone believes it really.

whiteworks

Reaction score
So you dudes that lift heavy weights, what purpose does the speedo and oil serve?🤔

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Do not and have never been able to push a lot of weight. My main concern/focus with working out is maintaining mobility, range of motion and retaining coordination. Being healthy and eating healthy obviously more important as we get older. I am 6‘1 180 and I guess I really just want to be able to continue to snowboard and jet ski with my boys into my 40s, 50s and beyond. You see active people on the river and the mountain and you see sedentary people. I noticed workouts got a lot harder when I hit 40 lol (I know it is not going to get easier).

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
At 64 lost 40 lbs this year and will be starting cardio rehab as soon as they will let me lift more than 5 lbs. Was told can't ride my bike until Sept. It is going to take awhile get back to any shape got me. Though the echo yesterday said my heart looked real good after surgery.

whiteworks

Reaction score
My neighbor at my shop is 87, he looks like he’s 65. He’s been moving out of the work space and I figured maybe he’s slowing down. Nope, moving a bunch of stuff up to his Utah place, 40 acres off grid where he spends his summers. He also has a place in Mexico where he’s spends his winters. His wife is older and from Sweden, she still a very attractive lady, you could tell she was like an 11 in her day. Dude is a stud, never slows down and is super excited about his life/adventures.

My dads the same way, 74 and rides his bike 10-15 miles a day and has for the last 50 years, hes not a road bike guy, just loves to ride and always has. I can’t remember him Ever being out of shape, just been active and maintained himself well.

My buddy Fabio is in perfect shape, 56 years old, has never been out of shape a day in his life,was a professional wind surfer and huge fitness guy for ever, owned a gym and lifted a lot when younger. ive watched him pilot a KOH car for the last decade and he says it’s getting real hard on him these days. He lifts no weights now, only works out with his own body weight and flexibility stuff. He told me his one regret was pushing weights as that has caused him more damage than anything. First time I realized he was an athlete we were out testing the car and he hopped up on the tire like a fucking cat, 39” vertical leap. I made him get down and do it again, dudes like 5’8”

I see some of my friends letting it go, getting fat and not taking care of themselves, They are in there 40’s and look like late 50’s that’s a bummer as it does not seem to end well, meds, doctors, limited mobility, shortened life, etc.... Then I see these older dudes getting after it and staying active well into there 80’s, seems to me that is the way to go, and requires a daily drive to maintain wellness.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Agreed

I can remember an NFL linebacker getting 225 37 to 38 times and it was off the charts. I was at Auburn with Takeo Spikes and he was an absolute freak. He got it 27 times

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
My neighbor at my shop is 87, he looks like he’s 65. He’s been moving out of the work space and I figured maybe he’s slowing down. Nope, moving a bunch of stuff up to his Utah place, 40 acres off grid where he spends his summers. He also has a place in Mexico where he’s spends his winters. His wife is older and from Sweden, she still a very attractive lady, you could tell she was like an 11 in her day. Dude is a stud, never slows down and is super excited about his life/adventures.

My dads the same way, 74 and rides his bike 10-15 miles a day and has for the last 50 years, hes not a road bike guy, just loves to ride and always has. I can’t remember him Ever being out of shape, just been active and maintained himself well.

My buddy Fabio is in perfect shape, 56 years old, has never been out of shape a day in his life,was a professional wind surfer and huge fitness guy for ever, owned a gym and lifted a lot when younger. ive watched him pilot a KOH car for the last decade and he says it’s getting real hard on him these days. He lifts no weights now, only works out with his own body weight and flexibility stuff. He told me his one regret was pushing weights as that has caused him more damage than anything. First time I realized he was an athlete we were out testing the car and he hopped up on the tire like a fucking cat, 39” vertical leap. I made him get down and do it again, dudes like 5’8”

I see some of my friends letting it go, getting fat and not taking care of themselves, They are in there 40’s and look like late 50’s that’s a bummer as it does not seem to end well, meds, doctors, limited mobility, shortened life, etc.... Then I see these older dudes getting after it and staying active well into there 80’s, seems to me that is the way to go, and requires a daily drive to maintain wellness.

Some pump, some slump. HAHA! I think every generation has those that say F it and those that rock it on their own terms. Do you remember Jack Lalanne? Now do you remember the skater kids in high school with pants that were 4x's too big on begging for change at the lunch line exit?

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
If power lifters train for reps then it’s definitely possible. Larry Wheels got 70 at 225. Vid is on Youtube.

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I lift three times a week. Walk three four times a week. Sometimes I do p90x if I feel like I’m gaining weight. I do pull-ups also. I’m 6’ 195/200. I can still do 4 sets of ten pull-ups. I don’t lift for size anymore. Too old for that. The 43 reps of 225 is a lot. I could do it but in 2/3 sets. I usually workout with 255. That’s my happy weight, heavy enough to strain but not too heavy where I’m killing my self.

The key is I’ve been lifting for 20 years. You can’t start and expect results in a month. Most people get frustrated and quit. I do 20 minutes and 45 minutes walking. 20 minutes isn’t a lot, but three times a week for 20 years is a lot.

It’s a lifestyle. I feel like shit if I skip workouts. I don’t eat clean though. I wish I had the discipline but that’s about 50/50 healthy and bad.

I don’t consider myself in great shape. I’m in ok shape for my age and effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevesdcb

Reaction score

Been working out, in some sort of way, since I started playing football at 10 yrs old. Lifted some weights in high school, more in college. After graduating, got a job in Probation/Parole & worked with some officers who were big & strong (nobody f.....d with them). Fast forward 5 years, I went from 210 to 250, all natural, a lot of food & "intense" working out.

I worked out for myself, my fellow officers & to make sure I could take care of business when needed. 1997 blew a disc & had to have an operation. No more heavy squats, bench, shrugs, etc. Changed tactics, lighter weights more reps. These days, still can push some weight but nothing to heavy, always high reps with cardio, jogging, stair climber, bike, etc.

Yeah, that back operation in 97 was a game changer. Back doesn't like cold weather or being pounded on to much,
always aware of it.

Can't answer your prior question about speedos & oil, that wasn't my thing.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
I work out!

Ok...here goes.

#1...didn't need that pic. Really!

As you get older, your testosterone levels will fall off as they naturally do. It's good that you work out, and you should keep doing that as best you can. Bear in mind that you run the risk of injuries from a couple of sources. The first is over use, an second is your basic refusal to walk back what you lift. There comes a point where that 50 lbs dumb-bell curl is not helping you an you may need to move back to 45 lbs, not looking up to 55 lbs. This is where the injuries come from. Your own unwillingness to accept that you are no longer 30.

Protect your lower back as best you can !!! That kills more men that you can imagine. It's not from the direct injury, but it's the inability to physically function in the manner necessary to stay healthy after the fact.

Your goal should be to maintain what you have.

At some point you are going to have to accept that you have passed over the top of the hill and are heading down the backside of it. The key is to develop the wisdom commensurate with your age and keep yourself fit for your age. I'm 57 now and am in better shape than nearly all of my friends of the same age. I am not what I was at age 37. I'm not as strong as I was, but I am smarter. I'm healthy and pill free. I waterski, downhill snow ski, snomobile, and walk/bike regularly. I don't run...ever. Watch your joints. Arthritis is as lethal as cancer. Which is where the arthritis treatments all lead to.

The biggest thing is to keep yourself off of pills of whatever stripe. Blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. etc. You know the drill. Eat well, but smarter. Limit the fat intake as a percentage of total calories. You're also going to have to reduce the number of total calories in your diet. You may be eating 3000 calories/day now at 40. By the time you hit 50 that should be more like 2000 - 2500 with no more than 15-20% of calories from fat. Forget that "USDA Prime" steak. Eat the "USDA Select" steak instead. It has less fat..which is the differentiation in Prime, Choice and Select. I don't eat prime anything now. Select only and to be honest, there is zero difference in taste. Fewer potatoes, and more long grain rice.

These are the basic things that well keep you in decent shape. but you have to get your mind into it as well. Remember, you're not a kid anymore. You're a mature adult male and you should start thinking like one.

On a more esoteric note, you should be having some sort "relief" every 1-2 days to keep your prostate in good working condition. This is a MUST DO as you get older. Wives become less interested, but needs to be made clear that it's necessary to keep your prostate working properly. This can be harder for you do as your T-levels get lower.

AVOID ANY AND ALL SYNTHETIC TESTOSTERONE TREATMENTS !!! Nothing good comes from that in the long term.

JD D05

Reaction score
Ok...here goes.

#1...didn't need that pic. Really!

As you get older, your testosterone levels will fall off as they naturally do. It's good that you work out, and you should keep doing that as best you can. Bear in mind that you run the risk of injuries from a couple of sources. The first is over use, an second is your basic refusal to walk back what you lift. There comes a point where that 50 lbs dumb-bell curl is not helping you an you may need to move back to 45 lbs, not looking up to 55 lbs. This is where the injuries come from. Your own unwillingness to accept that you are no longer 30.

Protect your lower back as best you can !!! That kills more men that you can imagine. It's not from the direct injury, but it's the inability to physically function in the manner necessary to stay healthy after the fact.

Your goal should be to maintain what you have.

At some point you are going to have to accept that you have passed over the top of the hill and are heading down the backside of it. The key is to develop the wisdom commensurate with your age and keep yourself fit for your age. I'm 57 now and am in better shape than nearly all of my friends of the same age. I am not what I was at age 37. I'm not as strong as I was, but I am smarter. I'm healthy and pill free. I waterski, downhill snow ski, snomobile, and walk/bike regularly. I don't run...ever. Watch your joints. Arthritis is as lethal as cancer. Which is where the arthritis treatments all lead to.

The biggest thing is to keep yourself off of pills of whatever stripe. Blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. etc. You know the drill. Eat well, but smarter. Limit the fat intake as a percentage of total calories. You're also going to have to reduce the number of total calories in your diet. You may be eating 3000 calories/day now at 40. By the time you hit 50 that should be more like 2000 - 2500 with no more than 15-20% of calories from fat. Forget that "USDA Prime" steak. Eat the "USDA Select" steak instead. It has less fat..which is the differentiation in Prime, Choice and Select. I don't eat prime anything now. Select only and to be honest, there is zero difference in taste. Fewer potatoes, and more long grain rice.

These are the basic things that well keep you in decent shape. but you have to get your mind into it as well. Remember, you're not a kid anymore. You're a mature adult male and you should start thinking like one.

On a more esoteric note, you should be having some sort "relief" every 1-2 days to keep your prostate in good working condition. This is a MUST DO as you get older. Wives become less interested, but needs to be made clear that it's necessary to keep your prostate working properly. This can be harder for you do as your T-levels get lower.

AVOID ANY AND ALL SYNTHETIC TESTOSTERONE TREATMENTS !!! Nothing good comes from that in the long term.

I doubt you snowmobile for shit...REALLY!