WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Physical maintenance over 40 or fuck it?

petie6464

Reaction score
The OP's post turned into "How great I was"

To the question, I woukd say take a walk through a assisted living or skilled nursing facility, that will answer your question I believe.

Last edited:

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
I ride Tug Hill NY and Quebec (around Mont Tremblant). I average about 3000 miles per year.

It's not highmarking but it's what's here. Mostly seasonal roads that are groomed. This is Culpepper Road on Tug Hill.

100_0504.JPG

There is very little that you can do "off trial" in these parts. The land owners have fences up on their pastures and the undergrowth in the woods is pretty thick. Everything is groomed trail. Grooming on Tug Hill is pretty spotty because it's all volunteer and the trails can get pretty beat up due to the high traffic pressure on the weekends. Quebec has paid groomers who are out every night and the trails are magnificent.

We can do 175 miles in a single day easily on Tug Hill, and Quebec 250 - 300 miles/ day is not unreasonable.

100_0506.JPG

This is looking east from the Flat Rock Inn towards the Adirondacks. As you can see there's not exactly a whole lot of opportunity for some challenging riding.

100_0512.JPG

This is the Montague Inn on a typical Saturday morning. Behind the pines is the weather radar TYX for the Watertown Sector.

JD D05

Reaction score
I ride Tug Hill NY and Quebec (around Mont Tremblant). I average about 3000 miles per year.

It's not highmarking but it's what's here. Mostly seasonal roads that are groomed. This is Culpepper Road on Tug Hill.

View attachment 880262

There is very little that you can do "off trial" in these parts. The land owners have fences up on their pastures and the undergrowth in the woods is pretty thick. Everything is groomed trail. Grooming on Tug Hill is pretty spotty because it's all volunteer and the trails can get pretty beat up due to the high traffic pressure on the weekends. Quebec has paid groomers who are out every night and the trails are magnificent.

We can do 175 miles in a single day easily on Tug Hill, and Quebec 250 - 300 miles/ day is not unreasonable.

View attachment 880263

This is looking east from the Flat Rock Inn towards the Adirondacks. As you can see there's not exactly a whole lot of opportunity for some challenging riding.

View attachment 880264

This is the Montague Inn on a typical Saturday morning. Behind the pines is the weather radar TYX for the Watertown Sector.

If you ride a sled I like it....no matter the terrain. If you ever wanted to try UT I would be happy to take you out.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
If you ride a sled I like it....no matter the terrain. If you ever wanted to try UT I would be happy to take you out.

Next winter I am coming to PC and want to snow mobile back there. It looks awesome.

stevesdcb

Reaction score
The OP's post turned into "How great I was"

To the question, I woukd say take a walk through a assisted living or skilled nursing facility, that will answer you question I believe.
Interesting quote "How great I was"....I never said I was great at anything, just sharing my lifelong experiences regarding a lifestyle/hobby that I have put a lot of time & effort into.

Look around, this is RDP, almost every thread or post on this site is about peeps showing off their boats, cars, snowmobiles, bikes, wife, girlfriends, horses, etc, etc.....sharing & reliving their past & present life experiences.

Why would one want to walk around an assisted living facility........

HBCraig

Reaction score
Ok...here goes.

#1...didn't need that pic. Really!

As you get older, your testosterone levels will fall off as they naturally do. It's good that you work out, and you should keep doing that as best you can. Bear in mind that you run the risk of injuries from a couple of sources. The first is over use, an second is your basic refusal to walk back what you lift. There comes a point where that 50 lbs dumb-bell curl is not helping you an you may need to move back to 45 lbs, not looking up to 55 lbs. This is where the injuries come from. Your own unwillingness to accept that you are no longer 30.

Protect your lower back as best you can !!! That kills more men that you can imagine. It's not from the direct injury, but it's the inability to physically function in the manner necessary to stay healthy after the fact.

Your goal should be to maintain what you have.

At some point you are going to have to accept that you have passed over the top of the hill and are heading down the backside of it. The key is to develop the wisdom commensurate with your age and keep yourself fit for your age. I'm 57 now and am in better shape than nearly all of my friends of the same age. I am not what I was at age 37. I'm not as strong as I was, but I am smarter. I'm healthy and pill free. I waterski, downhill snow ski, snomobile, and walk/bike regularly. I don't run...ever. Watch your joints. Arthritis is as lethal as cancer. Which is where the arthritis treatments all lead to.

The biggest thing is to keep yourself off of pills of whatever stripe. Blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. etc. You know the drill. Eat well, but smarter. Limit the fat intake as a percentage of total calories. You're also going to have to reduce the number of total calories in your diet. You may be eating 3000 calories/day now at 40. By the time you hit 50 that should be more like 2000 - 2500 with no more than 15-20% of calories from fat. Forget that "USDA Prime" steak. Eat the "USDA Select" steak instead. It has less fat..which is the differentiation in Prime, Choice and Select. I don't eat prime anything now. Select only and to be honest, there is zero difference in taste. Fewer potatoes, and more long grain rice.

These are the basic things that well keep you in decent shape. but you have to get your mind into it as well. Remember, you're not a kid anymore. You're a mature adult male and you should start thinking like one.

On a more esoteric note, you should be having some sort "relief" every 1-2 days to keep your prostate in good working condition. This is a MUST DO as you get older. Wives become less interested, but needs to be made clear that it's necessary to keep your prostate working properly. This can be harder for you do as your T-levels get lower.

AVOID ANY AND ALL SYNTHETIC TESTOSTERONE TREATMENTS !!! Nothing good comes from that in the long term.

No pills? I am on BP medicine. It's hereditary. My older brother is in them as is my Dad. It runs in our family.

Its almost impossible to not need BP or cholesterol medicine as you get older

riverroyal

Reaction score
51 now. I hired a personal trainer 3 weeks before covid shut the world down. 2 times week with trainer, 4 times in gym. Then boom.
Im back on it soon.
Goal was lose 20 by 4th of july, now that wont happen but it will shortly after.
I feel fine. But i can tell the extra weight has limited me on things. Thats not in my vocabulary. Limited

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Got way out of shape after a back surgery. Summer was coming up, so I wanted to drop the excess. I wasn't doing any cardio other than getting a little bit of upper heart beat from shortening the time between light weight exercise in the gym. Needed something to help fast so here is what I did. Went from 210ish.. to 175-178 in about 2 months.

Black coffee only. Nothing added
A cubic ton of water daily 😂
*Breakfast 1/2 cup plain oatmeal (nothing added, just water and oatmeal)
*mid morning snack was a whey protein shake
*Lunch was a large Spinach salad with 3 tbl spoons of salsa as dressing, geen peppers and actual pepper for a little more flavoring, with a boneless skinless chicken breast (usually 4 oz.)
*Mid afternoon snack was a whole wheat tortilla with another boneless skinless chicken breast (usually 6-8oz.)
*Dinner was a ton of green vegetables, with a smaller portion of either red meat, chicken, or fish. (Not a ton of seasoning or butter added)
*Dessert was another whey protein shake right before bed

It's a very simple plan, not the fanciest around, but works. You are basically eating something about every 2 - 3 hours. If you can add exercise to the mix, it will increase your weight loss a bit. But the majority of work is done by your metabolism working all day long and your overall calorie intake being less that what your body is using to digest the food and cover the daily burn from normal life.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I put this contraption in the middle of my work shop, my thoughts are that when I have to walk around it to stop for a minute and do some pull-ups, dips, leg lifts, push-ups for a couple minutes. I’m just focusing on body weight workouts and being able to move.

everyone I’ve talked with about weight training has said the same thing, go light and save the joints, old man shit LOL

I quit drinking years ago, quit tobacco years ago, but somewhere along the way I really learned what I like to eat and ate whatever I wanted when ever I wanted. I saw 217lbs on the scale about a year ago and it freaked me out. It didn’t happen overnight, It was a slow and steady gain since birth LOL. I earned every one of those extra pounds by eating.

long story short I changed up my diet and proceeded to shed 35-40lbs over the course of 6 months also started walking 3-5 miles a day. It feels good to be light footed again, like @Ziggy said about carrying sacks of concrete around, it’s strange how the body can evenly distribute that weight around and it’s not as noticeable as a sack of concrete, but weight is weight.

I bet my face lost like 3 lbs alone, WTF you need fat on your face for? 😂😂😂
CF11E009-D96D-4621-B71A-4978A912ACDD.png
CA643633-2F0D-43B0-951B-612994A500CD.jpeg
E9FCF9A0-13BC-44E5-9464-7686DC5A684F.jpeg
48C4466C-C97E-47E8-BB2E-9796DDA75EA6.jpeg

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
No pills? I am on BP medicine. It's hereditary. My older brother is in them as is my Dad. It runs in our family.

Its almost impossible to not need BP or cholesterol medicine as you get older

No pills at 57 and counting. My BP was 105/72 at my last checkup in January. Heart rate while resting was in the low 70's..

Cholesterol: HDL is 52, LDL is 88, and triglycerides are 111 from my January checkup. I'm 6'3" @ 200lbs.

To a large degree genetics plays a role but hypertension also runs down both sides of my family as does some really weird cancers and arthritis. Spent enough days in nursing homes as a kid (visiting various relatives) to know that was not how I wanted to spend my last days. So I am vigilant about my diet, active in life.

Statistics for me are not good as these things go. My mother's father died at 74, my father's father died at 74, and my father died at 74. I want to at least make past them.

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
Over 50
No pills
No dieting
Eat poorly
Smoke
Chew tobacco
Sniff race fuel
Avoid doctor unless broken or out of super glue

I’m aiming for a closed casket funeral.

Oh yeah, I’m mentally happy as hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HBCraig

Reaction score
No pills at 57 and counting. My BP was 105/72 at my last checkup in January. Heart rate while resting was in the low 70's..

Cholesterol: HDL is 52, LDL is 88, and triglycerides are 111 from my January checkup. I'm 6'3" @ 200lbs.

To a large degree genetics plays a role but hypertension also runs down both sides of my family as does some really weird cancers and arthritis. Spent enough days in nursing homes as a kid (visiting various relatives) to know that was not how I wanted to spend my last days. So I am vigilant about my diet, active in life.

Statistics for me are not good as these things go. My mother's father died at 74, my father's father died at 74, and my father died at 74. I want to at least make past them.
How much weed do you smoke? ;)

Boat 405

Reaction score
At 42, I'm 6' bounce between 178 - 190. When I get close to 190 I feel like shit. Get back in it and drink lots of water and regular workouts keep me down around 178 -180, keep my food intake reasonable and intermittent fasting 12 - 18hours. Staying away from soda and snack foods helps tons. As well as going easy on the beers.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I put this contraption in the middle of my work shop, my thoughts are that when I have to walk around it to stop for a minute and do some pull-ups, dips, leg lifts, push-ups for a couple minutes. I’m just focusing on body weight workouts and being able to move.

everyone I’ve talked with about weight training has said the same thing, go light and save the joints, old man shit LOL

I quit drinking years ago, quit tobacco years ago, but somewhere along the way I really learned what I like to eat and ate whatever I wanted when ever I wanted. I saw 217lbs on the scale about a year ago and it freaked me out. It didn’t happen overnight, It was a slow and steady gain since birth LOL. I earned every one of those extra pounds by eating.

long story short I changed up my diet and proceeded to shed 35-40lbs over the course of 6 months also started walking 3-5 miles a day. It feels good to be light footed again, like @Ziggy said about carrying sacks of concrete around, it’s strange how the body can evenly distribute that weight around and it’s not as noticeable as a sack of concrete, but weight is weight.

I bet my face lost like 3 lbs alone, WTF you need fat on your face for? 😂😂😂 View attachment 880388 View attachment 880389 View attachment 880390 View attachment 880391

Look who’s the peacock now!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

I bet my face lost like 3 lbs alone, WTF you need fat on your face for? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] View attachment 880388 View attachment 880389 View attachment 880390 View attachment 880391

How many pull-ups can you do at your lighter weight?

Nothing helps with pull-ups more than dropping weight...I can now do 15 on my first set, which I haven’t been able to do in decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro