Reaction score
Uh ohhhhh...... Back in the saddle huh dave? Do you know how to use it? 😂 😂

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Where are you going to put it?

ltbaney1

Reaction score
very nice, looks well optioned with the HS spindle and coolant through spindle. let me know if you need holders, pullstuds or anything when you get it.

azsunfun

Reaction score
bad ass, and i thought every garage needs a mill and lathe that is the finishing of a shop!👍

Gelcoater

Reaction score
This thread has potential👍

Whatcha going to whittle?

lenmann

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried running one of these on a rotary phase converter?

I would love to have one but 3 phase power isn't available in my hood.

Kbach

Reaction score
Yes, I have a friend that runs his machine shop of of single phase on a converter. Multiple vertical and horizontal machining centers. Pretty awesome setup he has actually.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
you want a Phase Perfect to run one of these.

You have to be very careful running a rotary convertor on these as there are many single phase components within the machine, and rotary phase convertors have 1 leg that is double voltage to neutral 240 instead of 120. If you land that leg on anything that is running single phase it will smoke it if it's not a dual voltage rated component.

Now if you are dilligent about verifying the internal machine wiring from it's panel disconnect you CAN run a rotary convertor, you just have to make sure any single phase loads only land on the 2 Line legs, not the 3rd leg generated by the rotary.

ltbaney1

Reaction score

yes, I know plenty of folks who do.

dspracing

Reaction score

You can also order them wired for single phase. I’d imagine it would be pretty hard to find one this way second hand though.

Reaction score
Great thing to have in the garage. Had to convert the house to 3 phase power on mine, which took a bit of time. Thumbs up on vertical tool changer and probing.

Reaction score

I ran mine on a rotary phase converter 15hp for about a month, spindle load low, maybe 30%. Never pushed it, never had a problem. Changing to 3 phase power was great though as all the other tools are running good clean power. Nice to just fire them up too and not worry about turning phase converter on. House is pulled off 2 legs of the 3 phase power. Ats for single phase generator is on the same. Btw, I don’t think they are really making 30hp at the spindle.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
I ran mine on a rotary phase converter 15hp for about a month, spindle load low, maybe 30%. Never pushed it, never had a problem. Changing to 3 phase power was great though as all the other tools are running good clean power. Nice to just fire them up too and not worry about turning phase converter on. House is pulled off 2 legs of the 3 phase power. Ats for single phase generator is on the same. Btw, I don’t think they are really making 30hp at the spindle.
Your house is running off two legs of 3 phase power? I’m guessing you’re not using 240 anywhere?

Reaction score
Your house is running off two legs of 3 phase power? I’m guessing you’re not using 240 anywhere?
We have a few 240v items. The single phase is a sub panel off the 3 phase.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
We have a few 240v items. The single phase is a sub panel off the 3 phase.
You’re not getting 240 then you’re getting 208. Single phase 240 each leg is 180 degrees out of phase with the other. Sounds like you are taking 2/3 off a 3 phase panel so you are 120 degrees out of phase. So you have 120 phase to neutral and 208 phase to phase.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
You’re not getting 240 then you’re getting 208. Single phase 240 each leg is 180 degrees out of phase with the other. Sounds like you are taking 2/3 off a 3 phase panel so you are 120 degrees out of phase. So you have 120 phase to neutral and 208 phase to phase.
220/221 whatever it takes.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Did you end up picking this up? @RiverDave
I have always been a calif guy, but if someone would have told me moving to Arizona means my neighbor could have a CNC in their garage, I may have to re think this!
I hope you got it,

"we need picks of makin chips!"

BingerFang

Reaction score
I have always been a calif guy, but if someone would have told me moving to Arizona means my neighbor could have a CNC in their garage, I may have to re think this!
I hope you got it,

"we need picks of makin chips!"

Ahahaha! Garages in AZ are like a box of chocolates… you never know what you’re gonna find inside! 😂

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

I would imagine it's nearly impossible to actual load the spindle to 30hp, But that is what the motor is rated at a specific speed (and probably a fairly high speed as well)

In order to make enough torque to be able to run load speed without a gear reduction transmission you need a huge motor to make the torque. Horsepower = Torque x Speed.

So you can load the spindle to full amperage, but that doesn't mean it's actually full horsepower if that makes sense.