WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pickup Trucks

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
2019 Ram Heavy Duty Sport Debuts With Monochromatic Bodywork and Same 1,000 LB-FT of Torque
For those who might want a more subtle look on their new Ram HD, this is just the solution they're looking for.
JANUARY 19, 2019

If you thought Ram would take a breather after announcing a heavy-duty pickup truck that makes 1,000 pound-feet of torque from the factory, you'd be wrong. The Boston Auto Show is also this week, and the folks at Ram Trucks decided to use that venue to show off the new Sport Package on the Ram Heavy Duty.

The Sport Package doesn't include any performance upgrades because, well, 1,000 pound-feet, but it does feature a monochromatic design theme. That means body-color bumpers, door handles, and grille surround. The interior is all-black, with a black headliner and Piano Black accents.

In addition to the appearance updates, the Sport package includes the front and rear park-assist system. Combined with a standard rear-view camera, maneuvering the big truck should now be a bit easier.

The Sport package comes on either the Ram Heavy Duty 2500 or 3500 models that are equipped with the Big Horn (Lone Star in Texas) or Laramie packages. It's also available on all cab sizes and powertrain options.

Available colors include Billet Silver, Patriot Blue, and Diamond Black Crystal, along with nine other options. It'll be available when the new Ram Heavy Duty goes on sale later this year.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Ram Limited or Sierra Denali. None of the other trucks compare in just about every category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Ford is planning an electric F-150 pickup truck with a focus on performance
"We're going to be electrifying the F-Series - battery electric and hybrid."
January 19, 2019
2019-01-18-image-14.jpg

Something to look forward to: Increased customer demand and rising competition have finally pushed Ford to announce the development of an electric version of the world and America’s best-selling truck: the F-150 pickup. Rather than the obvious environmental and fuel efficiency benefits, Ford is prioritizing new capabilities.

Towing and going off-road, two of the F-150’s strengths, could get a substantial boost from the fast torque delivery of electric and hybrid powertrains. “We have learned a lot, and our bet going forward is different,” Ford Executive VP Jim Farley said at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Ford is also getting creative with what they can do with electricity. In addition to the usual smattering of jokes about integrating an electric beer fridge, they’ve elaborated on their vision of what customers can do by tapping into their cars’ batteries.

Speaking to contractors and construction workers, Ford said, “you don’t have to have an expensive generator on site now. You can just plug your tools into your truck and that electric powertrain will run all the tools on the job site. Customers will pay for that because they don’t have to buy an expensive $10,000 generator.”

2019-01-18-image-15.jpg

If pickup truck owners are already blocking Tesla charging stations, how will they feel about charging their cars at Ford's counterpart?

Savings like that might also convince workplaces and the government to subsidize the vehicles, which could be important given their expected high price. Other than confirming that it’s not a “luxury pickup,” Ford hasn’t specified the price but they have spent some time discussing why customers would pay a high price.

In 2015 Ford released an aluminum version of the F-150, which increased the price but reduced the weight, enabling the truck to be stronger, faster and more efficient. “We learned when we did the aluminum F-150 that people are willing to pay more for a truck if you give it more capability,” Farley told CNBC.

“Today we have the highest price of any full-size pickup truck because of that.” While bragging about high costs is sketchy marketing, it’s good for the company and shareholders. “It’s a highly profitable and iconic vehicle for us and it’s going to get even better.”

In addition to the F-150, Ford also announced the development of two more vehicles. An electric crossover that takes design cues from their Mustang line-up will be their first high-performance electric vehicle, and in 2020 they’ll release a hybrid version of their Explorer SUV. They expect it to be the only non-premium hybrid SUV with off-road capabilities.

Ford has previously said that they plan on introducing 16 electrics and 24 hybrids by 2022, so while they haven’t dropped any hints about those new vehicles, there’s a good chance we’ll see them sooner rather than later.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
The 2020 GMC Sierra HD Adds Luxury and Loses That Face
tfote5bhspfomycgiuor.jpg

This giant hellbeast of a truck is basically the same as the 2020 Chevy Silverado HD that launched late last year, but it doesn’t have that godawful face. You know what I mean. Meet the new GMC Sierra HD, which on looks alone is the big General Motors truck you want.

afzse3umsjp3lrceiihj.jpg

It comes with the same massive 6.6-liter Duramax Diesel V8 with 910 lb-ft of torque shoved through an Allison 10-speed automatic. This is a truck built for numbers, and while it hasn’t been certified yet, the towing capacity of this new whale should be north of 30,000 pounds.

cewrdsosouwi1npwoxcp.jpg

“We took every opportunity to visually express the strength and capability that lies beneath the surface,” says Matt Noone, director of GMC exterior design. “The elevated hood line, the strong shoulders, the striking front grille — these cues communicate the strength and performance that have been engineered and built into each and every Sierra Heavy Duty.”

hspc0nwcjhezfvcjvh07.jpg

The GMC version of the HD adds 15 surround view cameras to make sure you can hitch up without a problem. It also adds cargo bed side steps in front of the wheel openings, and a convoluted multi-stage tailgate as standard.

hz2wvi3tmfpnpylheptq.jpg

Three different packages are available with varying degrees of luxury. The Standard Sierra HD, and the high-lux Sierra HD Denali are basically what you expect, but AT4 HD package is new. When you opt for the AT4, you get a locking rear diff, off-road ready suspension package, Rancho shocks, factory skid plates, all-terrain Michelins, and hill descent control. Visually, it’ll have dark chrome instead of that bright stuff.

xyhloaleivkq3a2qedud.jpg

The new Sierra HD will go on sale late this summer in 2500HD and 3500HD guise with either single or dual rear wheel options. Pricing and tow capacity of the Flint, Michigan-assembled trucks will be announced as production nears.

smchtb2nmeyicdkn2dnm.jpg

vyxrastli8qo2lviydut.jpg

jqtv4pzvxmlgezzqcscc.jpg

un03ry0anp5jwkm5udov.jpg
mmpacaibqa8dbzhqr1mx.jpg

h6y4ckwqgofskjp8lfu7.jpg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The 2020 GMC Sierra HD Adds Luxury and Loses That Face
tfote5bhspfomycgiuor.jpg

This giant hellbeast of a truck is basically the same as the 2020 Chevy Silverado HD that launched late last year, but it doesn’t have that godawful face. You know what I mean. Meet the new GMC Sierra HD, which on looks alone is the big General Motors truck you want.

afzse3umsjp3lrceiihj.jpg

It comes with the same massive 6.6-liter Duramax Diesel V8 with 910 lb-ft of torque shoved through an Allison 10-speed automatic. This is a truck built for numbers, and while it hasn’t been certified yet, the towing capacity of this new whale should be north of 30,000 pounds.

cewrdsosouwi1npwoxcp.jpg

“We took every opportunity to visually express the strength and capability that lies beneath the surface,” says Matt Noone, director of GMC exterior design. “The elevated hood line, the strong shoulders, the striking front grille — these cues communicate the strength and performance that have been engineered and built into each and every Sierra Heavy Duty.”

hspc0nwcjhezfvcjvh07.jpg

The GMC version of the HD adds 15 surround view cameras to make sure you can hitch up without a problem. It also adds cargo bed side steps in front of the wheel openings, and a convoluted multi-stage tailgate as standard.

hz2wvi3tmfpnpylheptq.jpg

Three different packages are available with varying degrees of luxury. The Standard Sierra HD, and the high-lux Sierra HD Denali are basically what you expect, but AT4 HD package is new. When you opt for the AT4, you get a locking rear diff, off-road ready suspension package, Rancho shocks, factory skid plates, all-terrain Michelins, and hill descent control. Visually, it’ll have dark chrome instead of that bright stuff.

xyhloaleivkq3a2qedud.jpg

The new Sierra HD will go on sale late this summer in 2500HD and 3500HD guise with either single or dual rear wheel options. Pricing and tow capacity of the Flint, Michigan-assembled trucks will be announced as production nears.

smchtb2nmeyicdkn2dnm.jpg

vyxrastli8qo2lviydut.jpg

jqtv4pzvxmlgezzqcscc.jpg

un03ry0anp5jwkm5udov.jpg
mmpacaibqa8dbzhqr1mx.jpg

h6y4ckwqgofskjp8lfu7.jpg
10 speed Allison again stated in this article. Interesting.....

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

HitIt

Reaction score

Designed and manufactured by GM. Tested by Allison and branded as such. GM has been building the previous Allison tranny so it should be fine but seems a little disingenuous to call it an Allison.

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
The New 2500 Denali will be my next truck.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
The 1st company that can make an all electric truck that has a decent range and is not huge jump in price will sell them like hot cakes too fleets. The tax credits, fuel savings and public relations boost are just too big of an incentive

WhatExit?

Reaction score

No matter how many times I look at that truck it's still hideous and doesn't compare to the new RAM coming and it likely won't compare to the Ford Super Duty - new ones coming

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
No matter how many times I look at that truck it's still hideous and doesn't compare to the new RAM coming and it likely won't compare to the Ford Super Duty - new ones coming
Yeah, the new Silverado is pretty bad. Some of the upper trim levels look a little better, but are still bad. The Sierra looks WAAYY better though at least.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score

From a looks standpoint I can’t agree with you more. The Rams are the best looking trucks but my last experience with a Ram (traded in my 2015 Laramie this summer) I’m giving GMC a shot. With a nice lift and a few cosmetic mods the GMC’s can be made to look pretty bad ass.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the trend to put badges on the hoods of these trucks.
Way too flashy for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cdog

Reaction score
Allison designed the trans and have been using it for a couple of years in larger equipment. I had a beer back in 2017 with the global brand manager with Allison and he filled me in on what to expect. GM probably makes the case & bell housing to adapt to the duramax. But the design and internals are probably all Allison just like the 6 speed in the current generation.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Review: 2019 Ram 1500 Offers a Gorgeous 12.3-Inch Portrait Display With CarPlay Support
Friday January 25, 2019

Back in November, I took a look at Fiat Chrysler's Uconnect infotainment system and CarPlay integration in the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan, discovering a quite positive user experience that nearly seamlessly incorporates CarPlay into Uconnect. That seamlessness comes thanks to an 8.4-inch Uconnect display that keeps a top status bar and a bottom menu bar visible at all times for easy navigation.

ram_1500.jpg

FCA isn't stopping at an 8.4-inch display, however, with the company's 2019 Ram 1500offering a gigantic 12.3-inch portrait display as an optional upgrade. I've had a chance to spend some time with a Ram 1500 Laramie, so I thought I'd share my impressions of this large portrait display.

ram_1500_full_screen_nav.jpg

Uconnect on the Big Screen
Given my previous look at Uconnect 4, I'm not going to spend much time looking at the infotainment system in general, other than differences unique to the larger display. Suffice it to say, I've found Uconnect to be one of the better infotainment systems out there, and its persistent status and menu bars at the top and bottom of the screen make it easy to shift between functions. The interface is relatively clear and easy-to-use, and the various functions perform well.

When it comes to hardware on the Ram 1500, it's impossible to miss the gorgeous 12.3-inch portrait display with rich, vibrant colors. It simply dominates the entire center stack in the car, with a selection of hardware knobs, buttons, and switches framing it.

You might think a giant 12-inch rectangle of glass could generate a significant amount of glare, and that can be a bit of an issue in certain situations with direct sunlight. It's really not enough to make it difficult to see the screen, but it is noticeable at times. The display is also a bit of a fingerprint magnet as you might expect, but again, they're generally not too noticeable in person unless you're in the right light.

What the large portrait display allows for Uconnect is a choice between a unified single app interface or what is essentially a pair of 7.5-inch displays stacked on top of each other. Regardless of which setup you choose, the status and menu bars at the top and bottom remain visible.

ram_1500_full_screen_radio.jpg
Full-screen audio app
The single app view can be a bit of overkill for some functions, but it allows for large, easy-to-hit buttons and an impressively broad map view. I generally found the split-screen interface to be more useful, allowing a full view of navigation and audio functions simultaneously, for example.

ram_1500_split_screen_select.jpg
Navigation on top, card selection screen on bottom
Configuring the split-screen display is as easy as hitting the Home icon in the top left corner and then choosing what you want displayed on the top and bottom cards from five available options: Media, Comfort, Nav, Phone, and Sirius XM Travel Link, which offers data such as nearby gas prices, sports scores for your favorite teams, and more.

ram_1500_split_screen.jpg
Split-screen navigation and audio
If you want to swap the positions of your two screens, there's an icon in the top left corner of the bottom card that will do that. And the menu bar at the bottom remains active to easily jump into a full-screen app, for example.

CarPlay
CarPlay isn't designed to be used on a large portrait display by itself, so you're limited to the split-screen Uconnect interface when using CarPlay, which allows you to display a Uconnect app simultaneously for convenient access to vehicle systems outside of CarPlay. While Uconnect normally lets you swap the top and bottom app cards, CarPlay is restricted to the top card, so you won't be able to customize that layout.

ram_1500_carplay_home.jpg
CarPlay home screen on top, SiriusXM audio controls on bottom
The CarPlay interface, particularly maps, can start to feel a bit cramped on smaller screens, but thankfully the Ram 1500's display is big enough that even in split-screen mode you still have a roughly 7.5-inch screen devoted to CarPlay, which is in the range of normal infotainment displays.

ram_1500_carplay_maps.jpg
Apple Maps on top, Uconnect climate controls on bottom
There are a few quirks with the integration of CarPlay and Uconnect in this setup, driven largely by the fact that the systems are designed to only allow one of each app type to be open simultaneously. For example, you understandably can't run Apple Maps and Uconnect navigation at the same time, as you'd end up with confusing conflicts of information. Similarly, the system is designed to prevent you from accessing your phone through both CarPlay and the Uconnect Bluetooth setup at the same time.

These restrictions are present on all vehicle infotainment systems, but they stand out a bit more on the Ram 1500's portrait display because it's one of the few systems that allows you to view CarPlay and a full native infotainment app at the same time.

ram_1500_carplay_usb.jpg
In certain cases, you can get CarPlay audio and Uconnect USB audio controls to show up simultaneously
The upshot of this is that if you activate CarPlay, it populates the top app card on the system and still offers the full set of app options for the bottom card, but if you tap navigation or phone, it simply activates Apple Maps or the Phone app up in the CarPlayscreen rather than bringing up the Uconnect versions in the bottom card. It's not a huge deal, but it takes a little getting used to when things don't necessarily react as you'd expect.

As on the Pacifica Hybrid and other Uconnect vehicles, there is no "Ram" icon on the CarPlay home screen to take you back to the Uconnect system, thanks to Uconnect's bottom menu bar that lets you easily hop in and out of CarPlay controls from wherever you are in the system.

ram_1500_carplay_google_maps.jpg
Google Maps in CarPlay
Both Uconnect and CarPlay can of course also be controlled via voice using a button on the steering wheel, with a short press bringing up the Uconnect voice assistant or a long press bringing up Siri.

ram_1500_steering_wheel.jpg
Steering wheel controls with voice assistant button at right edge of left cluster
Finally, while CarPlay is best controlled via the touchscreen, you can also control it using the hardware scroll/enter knob to the right of the display. As with other knob-based control systems, it's not as easy to navigate the CarPlay system as it is through direct touch manipulation, but the option is there if you prefer a more tactile input method.

Climate Control
While Uconnect offers access to extensive climate controls via the touchscreen, FCA has thankfully retained hardware buttons along the left and right sides of the display to control the most commonly used climate control options.

ram_1500_temp_popup.jpg
Temperature overlap pop-up
Adjusting the temperature via the hardware buttons, for example, briefly pops up a temperature display over top of your existing screen content rather than completely exiting to Uconnect's full climate control app.

Ports and Charging
As a work truck, the Ram 1500 unsurprisingly has a number of available power ports scattered throughout the cabin, including a 12V power port on top of the dash and two 115V traditional power outlets, one at the bottom of the center stack and one on the rear of the center console.

The Ram 1500 also has no shortage of USB ports, including both USB-A and USB-C variants. The center stack has two easily accessible sets of ports, with each set including both a USB-A and a USB-C port. Either set can be used to connect to the Uconnect system, including for CarPlay.

ram_1500_rear_ports.jpg
Rear USB ports and power outlet
Rear passengers will find two more sets of USB-A and USB-C ports, with one set allowing Uconnect/CarPlay access while the second is for charging only. There's also a single USB-A port with Uconnect/CarPlay access inside the lid compartment of the center console if you want to keep your phone and cable completely hidden away.

ram_1500_qi_charger.jpg
Wireless charger at bottom of center stack, with USB ports and power outlet also visible
My test vehicle also included a Qi wireless charger down near the bottom of the center stack. A rubbery holder keeps the phone upright and pressed against the vertical charger, with a blue light letting you know that your phone is charging. Its location low on the center stack means you won't really be able to see the screen of your phone while you're driving, but it's best to not be looking at your phone anyway.

ram_1500_qi_charger_phone.jpg
iPhone XS Max on wireless charger
Wireless CarPlay is not supported in the Ram 1500 or in any Uconnect system, so you'll need to have a Lightning to USB (Type-A or Type-C) cable on hand to hook things up. The rubbery phone holder in the center stack can hold a second phone to the right of the Qi charger, although larger phones with a cable sticking out may get in the way of the some of the toggle switches for parking sensors.

Wrap-up
The available 12-inch portrait display on the Ram 1500 is a rare feature among automotive infotainment systems, and it strikes an impressive look when you first encounter it. It's certainly handy being able to see two full-size app screens simultaneously, although some other manufacturers have been able to get away with nearly as much functionality packed into a split 75/25 widescreen display.

I appreciated that Ram maintained hardware buttons for the most important climate control options, as well as volume and tune/scroll knobs for those times you want to make changes by feel. And I really like the way Uconnect makes it easy to access frequently used functions through the customizable menu bar at the bottom of the screen.

Even more so, as with the Pacifica, I love the way CarPlay feels so integrated into Uconnect, making it incredibly easy to jump back and forth between the two systems. The split-screen portrait display even helps integrate things further by giving you access to both systems without even needing to switch.

Yes, there are a few quirks introduced by the fact that CarPlay usurps some of the traditional infotainment system functions, quirks made more obvious by that double app screen that lets you interact with both systems simultaneously. But overall, it's a net positive.

I do also still have some concerns about the shift toward increasingly large touchscreens in vehicles, which can make it harder to make changes by feel and end up taking your eyes off the road for longer. A portrait display magnifies these issues by bringing significant portions of the display lower on the center stack and away from the driver's line of sight. I would have appreciated it if the display could have been moved all the way to the top of the stack to minimize this issue as much as possible.

Pricing
The 2019 Ram 1500 starts at $31,795 for the Tradesman trim, but that only comes with a 5-inch Uconnect 3 infotainment system that doesn't support CarPlay. If you want CarPlay, you'll need to step up to at least the second-level Big Horn/Lone Star trim with the Level 1 Equipment Group that bumps up to an 8.4-inch Uconnect 4 system, bringing the total up to at a bit over $40,000.

The 12-inch portrait display reviewed here requires a minimum of the Laramie trim plus the Level 1 Equipment Group and the 12-inch display upgrade, which tips the scales at a little over $44,000. You can of course add all sorts of other upgrades to the Ram 1500, with my tester approaching $55,000 and a maxed out Limited model coming in at over $65,000.

Pickup trucks like the Ram 1500 have to serve a wide range of needs, so they're generally highly customizable with a variety of options across all different price ranges, and the Ram 1500 is certainly no exception. It would be nice if the 12-inch display system could be an option on lower-tier trims for tech-heavy users who may not have a need for some of the other upgrades you get as you move up the trim chart, but it's certainly not unusual for top-end technology to be limited to higher vehicle trims.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Fix For Recalled 2019 Ram 1500 Is Shockingly Simple

But the power steering could fail if the recall is ignored.

The redesigned 2019 Ram 1500 full-size pickup truck is a force to be reckoned with in this highly competitive segment. We spent some time driving the new Ram 1500 and came away thoroughly impressed. More precisely, we declared it the best luxury truck on sale right now. No wonder Ford is rushing a major F-150 update for next year sometime. But just because a newly launched vehicle could potentially be a segment leader doesn’t mean it’s completely void of problems. In this case, a significant recall.

Fiat Chrysler has announced the recall of 182,000 2019 model year Ram 1500 trucks worldwide due to an electrical problem that could cut out the power steering. The automaker claims most of the affected vehicles are in the US and Canada, while another one-third are still on dealership lots.

538726.jpg

538718.jpg

538729.jpg

538726.jpg

538718.jpg

538729.jpg

The exact problem lies with a battery ground-circuit fastener that may not be secured properly. This could loosen the connection enough to create an open circuit, thus leading to inconsistent feedback and potential loss of power steering, leading to an increased risk of a crash. There have been no reports so far of crashes or injuries.

The fix itself is extremely easy. It doesn’t even require any replacement parts or serious adjustments. All a dealership technician has to do is tighten the fastener. That’s it and owners will be on their way. Obviously this will be done free of charge.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Consumer Reports Impressed By the 2019 Ram 1500
27 Jan 2019

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles might not be a byword for reliability, but neither is General Motors. Even Ford has some problems with small-displacement EcoBoost engines in Europe, but when it comes to pickup trucks, FCA overshadows the competition.

In the case of the 2019 Ram HD, the 1,000-lb.ft. Cummins turbo diesel helps the full-size workhorse tow more than any of its rivals. Payload is also impressive, but what about the light-duty Ram 1500?

Consumer Reports bought a Big Horn (for $50,820 with options), and as expected, they like it a lot. The 5.7-liter HEMI V8 feels “robust and effortless” paired to the eight-speed automatic transmission and eTorque mild-hybrid system.

Another detail that makes the Ram 1500 easy to live with is the 4WD Auto mode, which is foolproof even for customers who aren’t in the know in regard to how four-wheel-drive systems. When properly equipped, the 12,750-pound maximum towing capacity is more than enough for most people.

The power-adjustable pedals are just the tip of the iceberg as far as convenience and luxury are concerned. Depending on configuration, the Ram 1500 overshadows the F-150 Limited and Sierra Denali in this regard. On the downside, Consumer Reports doesn’t like the hard plastic on the dashboard.

Another thing that’s not alright with the 1500 is automatic emergency braking and lane keep assist. Hyundai offers these two as standard on the entry-level i30 in Europe (a.k.a. Elantra GT in the United States), but Ram charges extra for both on the Big Horn.

The big-rig design of the 1500 is complemented by probably the best ride comfort in the segment. An independent setup up front and five-link coil suspension at the rear are featured, and customers can take things further with the available air suspension. The system lowers the truck automatically by 0.6 inches on the highway, improving aerodynamics and therefore gas mileage.

Offering more space, more comfort, and more technology than ever before, the Ram 1500 for the 2019 model year starts at $31,795 for the 3.6-liter Pentastar with eTorque in Tradesman flavor.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Not to thread jack. Ok well maybe.

I am looking at a 2019 raptor , what do you think ???[emoji202]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

I just can’t get behind a V6 no matter how much horsepower it makes it just doesn’t sound right.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Ritch people problems.....
Lol. Ya ok.
I just can’t get behind a V6 no matter how much horsepower it makes it just doesn’t sound right.
So now they have 6 cylinders. Didnt they have 8 before.
I just seen it at the dealer yesterday and have not done any research yet ...[emoji39][emoji202]

milkmoney

Reaction score
Ok went and did a look. Yup 6 cylinder only

pronstar

Reaction score

Just curious:
From a tow-vehicle, working-truck perspective...the fact that nearly every heavy-duty truck application runs a 6-cylinder diesel engine doesn’t account for anything?

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I've got a 2017 Raptor and it's an awesome truck. Lots of power, incredible offroad and it's got the Platinum interior. Just be sure you're not going to want to do serious towing with it otherwise it's not the truck for you.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I've got a 2017 Raptor and it's an awesome truck. Lots of power, incredible offroad and it's got the Platinum interior. Just be sure you're not going to want to do serious towing with it otherwise it's not the truck for you.
I just tow my 21' shit box [emoji202]
What engine do you have ?

WhatExit?

Reaction score
GM Rival FCA Discounts All-New Ram 1500 By Nearly $5,000 In January 2019
JAN 28, 2019

2019-Ram-1500-Limited-front-three-quarters.jpg

Sponsored Links

During the month of January, FCA is offering a notable amount of incentives for its all-new Ram 1500 pickup truck, including a cash allowance of nearly $5,000 on select models. By comparison, a new Chevrolet discountreduces the price of the all-new 2019 Silverado 1500 by $6,505, but only on the range-topping model.

2019-Ram-1500-Laramie-pulling-horse-trailer-1024x512.jpg

The Incentives
Nationwide Ram discounts on the all-new Ram 1500 for January 2019 are as follows:

• 2019 Tradesman:
    • $1,750 total cash allowance, or
    • 0 percent financing for 36 months
  • 2019 Big Horn / Lonestar:
    • $4,750 total cash allowance or
    • 0 percent financing for 36 months + up to $1,000 bonus cash or
    • Lease for $325 / month for 36 months + up to $2,500 bonus cash
  • 2019 Laramie:
    • $2,750 total cash allowance or
    • 0 percent financing for 36 months + up to $1,000 bonus cash or
    • Lease for $408 / month for 36 months + up to $2,500 bonus cash
  • 2019 Rebel:
    • $1,250 total cash allowance or
    • 0 percent financing for 36 months or
    • Lease for $470 / month for 36 months + up to $2,000 bonus cash
  • 2019 Laramie Longhorn:
    • Lease for $584 / month for 36 months + up to $2,000 bonus cash
  • 2019 Limited:
    • Lease for $606 / month for 36 months + up to $2,000 bonus cash
Meanwhile, the only nationwide Chevrolet discount on the all-new 2019 Silverado 1500 for January 2019 is as follows:

• 2019 Silverado Crew Cab LT All Star Z71: $3,005 price reduction below MSRP + $2,500 loyalty purchase cash + $1,000 option package discount = $6,505 total value
2019-Ram-1500-January-Incentive.jpg

All-new 2019 Ram 1500 January 2019 incentives

The GM Authority Take
Note how many more incentives there are for the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 compared to just the one discount offered by Chevrolet on its all-new, 2019 Silverado 1500. Though Chevy’s discount on the new Silverado is 2019 Silverado 1500 is for a higher dollar amount, the offer only applies to a single, high-feature model in the lineup.

The wide disparity in incentives offered by FCA on the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 when compared to those offered by GM on the all-new 2019 Silverado 1500 is a glaring example of strategic differences between both automakers: as FCA is focused on increasing sales volume with seemingly little regard to profit, GM is focused on more profitable transactions rather than outright sales volume. And since FCA has discounted the 2019 Ram 1500 in similar ways in November and December of 2018, the circumstance may help explain why Silverado sales volume fell to third place behind the Ram during the fourth quarter of 2018.

We should also note that GM’s strategy of lesser volume, higher profit marks the first time in recent history that the Detroit-based automaker has undertaken an approach that doesn’t involve increasing sales volume “at all costs”, a practice otherwise referred to as “buying market share”.

All-New 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 January 2019 incentive

Disclaimers
  • Must take delivery by January 31, 2019.
  • See dealer for details.
  • Incentive for the United States of America, unless otherwise specified.
  • Some customers may not qualify for this offer.
  • Offer not available with special finance, lease, and some other offers.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score

Wait for the 2020 they are putting the new NA V8 in it.

Report: 2020 F-150 Raptor To Receive Ford’s New 7.0L DOHC V8 Motor
Posted on December 31, 2018 by SpeedTwitch

The 2020 F-150 Raptor will receive Ford’s new 7.0L V8 motor, which will be produced at Ford’s Windsor, Ontario engine assembly plant.

Last week, Automotive News broke the story that Ford has plans to announce production of a new engine in Windsor, Ontario. Sources told Reuters that the 7X engine, designed for Ford’s truck line and other special applications, will also feature Direct Injection, and will be mated to Ford/GM’s new 10-speed transmission.

Sources claim that the “Variants of the 7X (7.0L V8) motor will make it’s way into top-trim F-150 models, including the Platinum and Raptor models. If you remember a few years back, we offered the 6.2L V8 in the Platinum F-150’s and first generation Raptors. Expect the 7.0L V8 to pattern Ford’s placement strategy of the old 6.2L.”

During the 2016 contract negotiations with Canadian union Unifor, Ford pledged to spend $700 million on its Ontario manufacturing operations. The majority of the money was allocated for a “major engine program” at the Essex Engine Plant. The promised new engine program fulfilled a key goal for the union, which has long sought investments from each of the big threee Detroit automakers.

Brian Maxim, a vice president at AutoForecast Solutions, said in a telephone interview with AutoNews that the “7.0-liter, V8 engine would have more torque and be more fuel efficient than the 6.8-liter V10 engine now built in Windsor and used in Ford’s super-duty trucks, such as its F-250s.”

The current F-150 Raptor features a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 powerplant, which makes an impressive 510 ft. lb. of torque. However, Ford’s current motor choice for the new Raptor is a polarizing topic for many, including those in the off-road community.

Ford is primed to start offering the new 7.0L V8 in the Raptor in 2018 (as a 2020 model). We believe this was part of their strategy from day one; maximize the sales output of the initial Gen-2 production run, then offer a V8 option when the demand is high. Based on Ford’s recent model facelift campaigns, we also expect the 2020 Raptor to receive a facelift/refresh along with the new 10-speed transmission and 7.0L V8 motor option.

We will keep you posted with all 2020 Raptor news.

https://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-f-150-raptor-to-receive-fords-new-7-0l-dohc-v8-motor/

milkmoney

Reaction score

The 2020 F-150 Raptor will receive Ford’s new 7.0L V8 motor, which will be produced at Ford’s Windsor, Ontario engine assembly plant.

Last week, Automotive News broke the story that Ford has plans to announce production of a new engine in Windsor, Ontario. Sources told Reuters that the 7X engine, designed for Ford’s truck line and other special applications, will also feature Direct Injection, and will be mated to Ford/GM’s new 10-speed transmission.

Sources claim that the “Variants of the 7X (7.0L V8) motor will make it’s way into top-trim F-150 models, including the Platinum and Raptor models. If you remember a few years back, we offered the 6.2L V8 in the Platinum F-150’s and first generation Raptors. Expect the 7.0L V8 to pattern Ford’s placement strategy of the old 6.2L.”

During the 2016 contract negotiations with Canadian union Unifor, Ford pledged to spend $700 million on its Ontario manufacturing operations. The majority of the money was allocated for a “major engine program” at the Essex Engine Plant. The promised new engine program fulfilled a key goal for the union, which has long sought investments from each of the big threee Detroit automakers.

Brian Maxim, a vice president at AutoForecast Solutions, said in a telephone interview with AutoNews that the “7.0-liter, V8 engine would have more torque and be more fuel efficient than the 6.8-liter V10 engine now built in Windsor and used in Ford’s super-duty trucks, such as its F-250s.”

The current F-150 Raptor features a 3.5L EcoBoost V6 powerplant, which makes an impressive 510 ft. lb. of torque. However, Ford’s current motor choice for the new Raptor is a polarizing topic for many, including those in the off-road community.

Ford is primed to start offering the new 7.0L V8 in the Raptor in 2018 (as a 2020 model). We believe this was part of their strategy from day one; maximize the sales output of the initial Gen-2 production run, then offer a V8 option when the demand is high. Based on Ford’s recent model facelift campaigns, we also expect the 2020 Raptor to receive a facelift/refresh along with the new 10-speed transmission and 7.0L V8 motor option.

https://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-f-150-raptor-to-receive-fords-new-7-0l-dohc-v8-motor/
Thanks [emoji202][emoji106]

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Just curious:
From a tow-vehicle, working-truck perspective...the fact that nearly every heavy-duty truck application runs a 6-cylinder diesel engine doesn’t account for anything?

I would hardly compare a six cylinder diesel to a six cylinder gas motor as far as towing is concerned, my point was the V-6 is don’t sound very high performance I like the sound of a V-8 nothing more than that, if the 7.0 L motor is available that would be great. This is just my opinion I’m not knocking anybody who has one.
A turbocharged LS motor or a coyote would probably make in excess of 1000 hp but I wouldn’t tow with it. Apples and oranges is far as I’m concerned.

pronstar

Reaction score
I would hardly compare a six cylinder diesel to a six cylinder gas motor as far as towing is concerned, my point was the V-6 is don’t sound very high performance I like the sound of a V-8 nothing more than that, if the 7.0 L motor is available that would be great. This is just my opinion I’m not knocking anybody who has one.
A turbocharged LS motor or a coyote would probably make in excess of 1000 hp but I wouldn’t tow with it. Apples and oranges is far as I’m concerned.

Shit I thought you were taking about the Cummins inline-6 compared to the Duramax and Powerstroke V8s [emoji106]

milkmoney

Reaction score
Shit I thought you were taking about the Cummins inline-6 compared to the Duramax and Powerstroke V8s [emoji106]

V = horsepower

Inline = torque
[emoji39][emoji106][emoji202]

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I just tow my 21' shit box [emoji202]
What engine do you have ?

The Gen 2 Raptor (2017 to present) only offers 1 engine, the V-6 Ecoboost twin-turbo 450HP 500 lb-ft torque. Per Ford: "The 2019 Raptor has a high-output twin-turbo, intercooled DOHC 24-valve, 3.5L EcoBoost®engine with port fuel and direct injection paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission that generates a massive 450 horsepower and 510 lb.-ft. of torque." https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-raptor/

The Gen 1 Raptor, 1st year only came with the 5.4L V-8 motor - about 300HP. The 6.2L V-8 motor came out late first year and every year thereafter - about 410HP. Not offered in the current Gen 2 Raptor.

Do not pay over sticker for any new Raptor (you may have to look around to find a dealer willing to deal but they're out there) and you should be able to get one for below MSRP/sticker. Let me know if you need help finding one or need more info.

WhatExit?

Reaction score

raptor-v-8-not-happening-png.716780

Fake news. The only source cited in the article was from a 2017 press release and it didn’t mention anything about the Raptor. Both Gen 1 & 2 Raptors have relatively low tow capacity for their horsepower and torque. There’s no reason for Ford to put a heavy V8 back into the Raptor, which uses aluminum to save weight. It's an off road oriented truck (which is another reason they'd never put a diesel in the Raptor).

HA HA HA yes, wait for it. You'll be really old and it still won't happen.

Ford is never going to put a V-8 in the Raptor. Not gonna happen.

They spent millions on the EcoBoost and fought the good fight to get it accepted by truck lovers who only believed in V-8s. They did it. And they ain't gonna undo it.

Furthermore that 7-liter motor is gonna be big and heavy especially compared to the V-6TT.

That 7-liter motor is destined for Super Duty trucks and other truck/RV applications. It ain't going into any F-150.

Meanwhile we're counting down the days until the 2020 Raptor gets here :D

Info on the new Super Duty will be released this year and we'll get a lot more info then.

Keep waiting on that 2020 Raptor :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
raptor-v-8-not-happening-png.716780

Fake news. The only source cited in the article was from a 2017 press release and it didn’t mention anything about the Raptor. Both Gen 1 & 2 Raptors have relatively low tow capacity for their horsepower and torque. There’s no reason for Ford to put a heavy V8 back into the Raptor, which uses aluminum to save weight. It's an off road oriented truck (which is another reason they'd never put a diesel in the Raptor).

HA HA HA yes, wait for it. You'll be really old and it still won't happen.

Ford is never going to put a V-8 in the Raptor. Not gonna happen.

They spent millions on the EcoBoost and fought the good fight to get it accepted by truck lovers who only believed in V-8s. They did it. And they ain't gonna undo it.

Furthermore that 7-liter motor is gonna be big and heavy especially compared to the V-6TT.

That 7-liter motor is destined for Super Duty trucks and other truck/RV applications. It ain't going into any F-150.

Meanwhile we're counting down the days until the 2020 Raptor gets here :D

Info on the new Super Duty will be released this year and we'll get a lot more info then.

Keep waiting on that 2020 Raptor :rolleyes:

The rumor mill is in full swing on this for 3 years ever since the new motor was first talked about. I actually think that you're right and we probably won't see a V8 Raptor but 2 things give me hope that we will.

1) The F150 is getting an update for 2020. Ford has hinted that the 7.0 will go into the Platinum F150 as an option. If they do make it an option on the highest trim levels than an option on the Raptor isn't out of the realm.
2) The Ram Rebel TRX is coming Q3 of 2020 as a 2021 model. https://www.ramtrucks.com/special-editions/1500/trx.html

2021-ram-trx-rebel-off-road-truck-1024x672.jpg

One of the most highly anticipated vehicles in the entire auto industry, has to be the upcoming 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel TRX. Since the original Ram 1500 Rebel TRX Concept made its debut at the State Fair of Texas back in September 2016, the truck has set the automotive world on fire. The concept was based of the last generation of Ram 1500 (DS) and while the response was huge from the public Ram, it was too close to the launch of the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 (DT) to produce. On June 1st of this year, Ram made the official announcement that they would indeed produce such a truck and it would be released before 2022.

Fast forward just over two years from the original Ram Rebel TRX Concept, we are seeing a lot more details about the future Ram performance vehicle as well as new photos of prototypes of the new truck.

Rebel_TR_Mule_001.jpg

2021 Ram 1500 Rebel TR Prototype. (SpiedBilde).
First off, there will be two versions of the upcoming SRT engineered performance Rebel. As originally stated on our sister site 5thGenRams.com, the first model will be called Rebel TR. The Rebel TR will be powered by an all-new 7.0-liter 426 cubic-inch SRT HEMI V8. Codenamed “Banshee”, this engine will replace the current 6.4-liter SRT HEMI V8 “Apache” engine. The Banshee will be naturally aspirated and from what we hear will have a power rating just north of 525 horsepower.

Rebel_TR_Mule_003.jpg

Second, is the Rebel TRX. The Rebel TRX (like the original concept), will feature the 6.2-liter Supercharged HEMI HELLCAT V8. However, unlike the concept that was rated at a detuned 575 horsepower the HELLCAT engine will get it’s full 707 horsepower rating according to our sources.

Back in March, spy photographers caught a black 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn near the FCA US Auburn Hills, Michigan campus with aggressive tires and a lift kit.

Rebel_TR_Mule_004.jpg

5thGenRams.com, also showed us some spy photos in back in August of what looked to be just a typical 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4×4. Except for this truck looked to have a 2-inch lift kit, multi-spoke wheels, BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires, and manufacturers plates. Spy photographers caught the truck testing in Arizona and said that the truck had a supercharger whine to it.

Now we are seeing more mules show up not just in Arizona, but Michigan as well.

Rebel_TR_Mule_007.jpg

We obtained these latest spy photos from Spiedbilde Photography, caught this Ram 1500 Crew Cab Limited export-model doing testing near Flagstaff, Arizona the other day. This particular truck has about a 2-inch lift like the other trucks caught before it. It carries the same wheels and tires as the Big Horn tester in August. This particular model was said to not have the supercharger whine like the Big Horn caught before it.

SatTRX-1-of-1.jpg

2021 Ram 1500 Rebel TRX Prototype. (5thGenRams).
One of our keen forum members, also sent us this picture of another Limited model near the Auburn Hills campus. This model was equipped with the same wheels and tires as the Big Horn and Limited models caught in Arizona, however a lot of features stand out about this one. The truck has a Ram 1500 Rebel hood, Mopar fender flares and again equipped with a lift as well. However this picture shows that this particular truck features 6-lug wheels up front (like the other trucks), but shows 8-lug wheels in the rear.

We know Ram has plans to not just beat the Ford F-150 SVT Raptor, but to annihilate it.

Rebel_TR_Mule_006.jpg

Here are some of the details our insiders have provided us…

• The TR and TRX will have 8-speed automatic transmissions standard
  • +4-inches more suspension travel over the 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel
  • +6-inches wider track
  • 2.5-inch lift over standard 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel
  • 35-inch off-road tires (we assume they are the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2s, which are also used on Wrangler Rubicon models)
  • Upgraded frame
  • Active shock absorbers (which we believe are sourced from King Off-Road Racing Shocks)
The 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel TRX will start production in the third-quarter of 2020 at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

https://moparinsiders.com/caught-2021-ram-1500-rebel-trx-we-have-more-details/

That is not a small difference in horsepower. The TR will have the new 7.0 liter Banshee engine and produce at least 75 more horsepower than the current Raptor. At 707 the TRX will have over 250 more horsepower than the current Raptor. Sure the 3.5L produces 647 horsepower in GT form so Ford can turn up the boost dial a couple of notches to compete but what GT is going to see 100k+ miles or dirt for that matter.

I don't see Ford wanting to lose sales to Dodge.

Chevy is rolling out their new 6.6L V8 but that appears to be confined to the HD line. Ford may follow suit and keep the 7.0 for the F250. Either way the next few years will be pretty interesting when it comes to trucks.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I have a 2018 F150 with ecoboost. I had the V8 F150 as my last truck. I don't miss the V8. Next Nov when my lease is up, I'll get a Raptor.

pronstar

Reaction score
1/2 ton trucks:
Require EPA MPG ratings
MPG ratings count toward CAFE numbers

3/4 ton and above trucks:
Do not require EPA MPG ratings
MPG ratings do not count toward CAFE numbers

If a 7L V8 is real, it ain’t going into an F150
IMHO YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pronstar

Reaction score

WhatExit?

Reaction score
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma Is Coming, and This Teaser Photo Hints at How It'll Look

We try to decipher a nearly undecipherable image of the latest mid-size pickup truck.

Jan 29, 2019
2020-tacoma-teaser-da93ba7c70e78264fd01c74a473243d64b78e520-low-1548792472.jpg

Toyota will unveil the first details about its upcoming 2020 Tacoma pickup truck next week during the Chicago auto show. The company teased the announcement with this partially shrouded image that shows just the front end of the highly popular mid-sizer from the headlights up, with the silhouette of hillsides in the background. While the darkened picture leaves much to the imagination, we can see that the model shown closely resembles the current-generation Tacoma, which was all new for 2016. Since Toyota doesn't allude to any significant exterior changes, we can only assume that the news will include updates to the powertrain options or available trim levels.

The current Tacoma (pictured below) is available with either a standard 159-hp 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine or a 278-hp 3.5-liter V-6. Both pair with a six-speed automatic transmission and rear- or all-wheel drive. Certain trim levels and cab combinations also offer a six-speed manual transmission, which we hope will continue.

2019-Toyota-Tacoma-TRD-Pro-101-2.jpg

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro on display at the 2018 Chicago auto show
Although the thought of a more powerful engine intrigues us, we have no idea what that could be. Maybe an electrified version of the iconic pickup is coming; after all, Ford recently confirmed it will build an all-electric version of the full-size F-150. It could even be called the Prius T. Who knows?

The Tacoma is already available in a variety of distinct models that include the enhanced TRD Sport and TRD Off-Road times as well as the top-of-the-line TRD Pro. The latter just returned to the lineup for 2019, and the truck in the picture is missing the Pro's exclusive blacked-out grille and distinct lettering. Could the Taco add yet another trim level to its already bloated roster? It's definitely possible. The other possibility is that Toyota brings back the single-cab body style, which hasn't been offered this entire generation. Of course, this is all speculation. The truth won't be revealed until the company holds its press conference at 11 a.m. on Thursday, February 7, in Chicago. Stay tuned for more details.

pronstar

Reaction score
The 2020 Toyota Tacoma Is Coming, and This Teaser Photo Hints at How It'll Look

We try to decipher a nearly undecipherable image of the latest mid-size pickup truck.

Jan 29, 2019
2020-tacoma-teaser-da93ba7c70e78264fd01c74a473243d64b78e520-low-1548792472.jpg

Toyota will unveil the first details about its upcoming 2020 Tacoma pickup truck next week during the Chicago auto show. The company teased the announcement with this partially shrouded image that shows just the front end of the highly popular mid-sizer from the headlights up, with the silhouette of hillsides in the background. While the darkened picture leaves much to the imagination, we can see that the model shown closely resembles the current-generation Tacoma, which was all new for 2016. Since Toyota doesn't allude to any significant exterior changes, we can only assume that the news will include updates to the powertrain options or available trim levels.

The current Tacoma (pictured below) is available with either a standard 159-hp 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine or a 278-hp 3.5-liter V-6. Both pair with a six-speed automatic transmission and rear- or all-wheel drive. Certain trim levels and cab combinations also offer a six-speed manual transmission, which we hope will continue.

2019-Toyota-Tacoma-TRD-Pro-101-2.jpg

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro on display at the 2018 Chicago auto show
Although the thought of a more powerful engine intrigues us, we have no idea what that could be. Maybe an electrified version of the iconic pickup is coming; after all, Ford recently confirmed it will build an all-electric version of the full-size F-150. It could even be called the Prius T. Who knows?

The Tacoma is already available in a variety of distinct models that include the enhanced TRD Sport and TRD Off-Road times as well as the top-of-the-line TRD Pro. The latter just returned to the lineup for 2019, and the truck in the picture is missing the Pro's exclusive blacked-out grille and distinct lettering. Could the Taco add yet another trim level to its already bloated roster? It's definitely possible. The other possibility is that Toyota brings back the single-cab body style, which hasn't been offered this entire generation. Of course, this is all speculation. The truth won't be revealed until the company holds its press conference at 11 a.m. on Thursday, February 7, in Chicago. Stay tuned for more details.

We prepped that white Tacoma TRD Pro.
The ad agency tore it up on an off-road shoot, and we were entrusted to restore it for the show [emoji106]

It wasn’t easy.
At all.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Thanks for info guys ...appreciate it.
Side note , next truck has to be red ....[emoji106][emoji202]