WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pickup Trucks

Enen

Reaction score
Review: 2019 Ram 1500 Offers a Gorgeous 12.3-Inch Portrait Display With CarPlay Support
Friday January 25, 2019

Back in November, I took a look at Fiat Chrysler's Uconnect infotainment system and CarPlay integration in the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan, discovering a quite positive user experience that nearly seamlessly incorporates CarPlay into Uconnect. That seamlessness comes thanks to an 8.4-inch Uconnect display that keeps a top status bar and a bottom menu bar visible at all times for easy navigation.

ram_1500.jpg

FCA isn't stopping at an 8.4-inch display, however, with the company's 2019 Ram 1500offering a gigantic 12.3-inch portrait display as an optional upgrade. I've had a chance to spend some time with a Ram 1500 Laramie, so I thought I'd share my impressions of this large portrait display.

ram_1500_full_screen_nav.jpg

Uconnect on the Big Screen
Given my previous look at Uconnect 4, I'm not going to spend much time looking at the infotainment system in general, other than differences unique to the larger display. Suffice it to say, I've found Uconnect to be one of the better infotainment systems out there, and its persistent status and menu bars at the top and bottom of the screen make it easy to shift between functions. The interface is relatively clear and easy-to-use, and the various functions perform well.

When it comes to hardware on the Ram 1500, it's impossible to miss the gorgeous 12.3-inch portrait display with rich, vibrant colors. It simply dominates the entire center stack in the car, with a selection of hardware knobs, buttons, and switches framing it.

You might think a giant 12-inch rectangle of glass could generate a significant amount of glare, and that can be a bit of an issue in certain situations with direct sunlight. It's really not enough to make it difficult to see the screen, but it is noticeable at times. The display is also a bit of a fingerprint magnet as you might expect, but again, they're generally not too noticeable in person unless you're in the right light.

What the large portrait display allows for Uconnect is a choice between a unified single app interface or what is essentially a pair of 7.5-inch displays stacked on top of each other. Regardless of which setup you choose, the status and menu bars at the top and bottom remain visible.

ram_1500_full_screen_radio.jpg
Full-screen audio app
The single app view can be a bit of overkill for some functions, but it allows for large, easy-to-hit buttons and an impressively broad map view. I generally found the split-screen interface to be more useful, allowing a full view of navigation and audio functions simultaneously, for example.

ram_1500_split_screen_select.jpg
Navigation on top, card selection screen on bottom
Configuring the split-screen display is as easy as hitting the Home icon in the top left corner and then choosing what you want displayed on the top and bottom cards from five available options: Media, Comfort, Nav, Phone, and Sirius XM Travel Link, which offers data such as nearby gas prices, sports scores for your favorite teams, and more.

ram_1500_split_screen.jpg
Split-screen navigation and audio
If you want to swap the positions of your two screens, there's an icon in the top left corner of the bottom card that will do that. And the menu bar at the bottom remains active to easily jump into a full-screen app, for example.

CarPlay
CarPlay isn't designed to be used on a large portrait display by itself, so you're limited to the split-screen Uconnect interface when using CarPlay, which allows you to display a Uconnect app simultaneously for convenient access to vehicle systems outside of CarPlay. While Uconnect normally lets you swap the top and bottom app cards, CarPlay is restricted to the top card, so you won't be able to customize that layout.

ram_1500_carplay_home.jpg
CarPlay home screen on top, SiriusXM audio controls on bottom
The CarPlay interface, particularly maps, can start to feel a bit cramped on smaller screens, but thankfully the Ram 1500's display is big enough that even in split-screen mode you still have a roughly 7.5-inch screen devoted to CarPlay, which is in the range of normal infotainment displays.

ram_1500_carplay_maps.jpg
Apple Maps on top, Uconnect climate controls on bottom
There are a few quirks with the integration of CarPlay and Uconnect in this setup, driven largely by the fact that the systems are designed to only allow one of each app type to be open simultaneously. For example, you understandably can't run Apple Maps and Uconnect navigation at the same time, as you'd end up with confusing conflicts of information. Similarly, the system is designed to prevent you from accessing your phone through both CarPlay and the Uconnect Bluetooth setup at the same time.

These restrictions are present on all vehicle infotainment systems, but they stand out a bit more on the Ram 1500's portrait display because it's one of the few systems that allows you to view CarPlay and a full native infotainment app at the same time.

ram_1500_carplay_usb.jpg
In certain cases, you can get CarPlay audio and Uconnect USB audio controls to show up simultaneously
The upshot of this is that if you activate CarPlay, it populates the top app card on the system and still offers the full set of app options for the bottom card, but if you tap navigation or phone, it simply activates Apple Maps or the Phone app up in the CarPlayscreen rather than bringing up the Uconnect versions in the bottom card. It's not a huge deal, but it takes a little getting used to when things don't necessarily react as you'd expect.

As on the Pacifica Hybrid and other Uconnect vehicles, there is no "Ram" icon on the CarPlay home screen to take you back to the Uconnect system, thanks to Uconnect's bottom menu bar that lets you easily hop in and out of CarPlay controls from wherever you are in the system.

ram_1500_carplay_google_maps.jpg
Google Maps in CarPlay
Both Uconnect and CarPlay can of course also be controlled via voice using a button on the steering wheel, with a short press bringing up the Uconnect voice assistant or a long press bringing up Siri.

ram_1500_steering_wheel.jpg
Steering wheel controls with voice assistant button at right edge of left cluster
Finally, while CarPlay is best controlled via the touchscreen, you can also control it using the hardware scroll/enter knob to the right of the display. As with other knob-based control systems, it's not as easy to navigate the CarPlay system as it is through direct touch manipulation, but the option is there if you prefer a more tactile input method.

Climate Control
While Uconnect offers access to extensive climate controls via the touchscreen, FCA has thankfully retained hardware buttons along the left and right sides of the display to control the most commonly used climate control options.

ram_1500_temp_popup.jpg
Temperature overlap pop-up
Adjusting the temperature via the hardware buttons, for example, briefly pops up a temperature display over top of your existing screen content rather than completely exiting to Uconnect's full climate control app.

Ports and Charging
As a work truck, the Ram 1500 unsurprisingly has a number of available power ports scattered throughout the cabin, including a 12V power port on top of the dash and two 115V traditional power outlets, one at the bottom of the center stack and one on the rear of the center console.

The Ram 1500 also has no shortage of USB ports, including both USB-A and USB-C variants. The center stack has two easily accessible sets of ports, with each set including both a USB-A and a USB-C port. Either set can be used to connect to the Uconnect system, including for CarPlay.

ram_1500_rear_ports.jpg
Rear USB ports and power outlet
Rear passengers will find two more sets of USB-A and USB-C ports, with one set allowing Uconnect/CarPlay access while the second is for charging only. There's also a single USB-A port with Uconnect/CarPlay access inside the lid compartment of the center console if you want to keep your phone and cable completely hidden away.

ram_1500_qi_charger.jpg
Wireless charger at bottom of center stack, with USB ports and power outlet also visible
My test vehicle also included a Qi wireless charger down near the bottom of the center stack. A rubbery holder keeps the phone upright and pressed against the vertical charger, with a blue light letting you know that your phone is charging. Its location low on the center stack means you won't really be able to see the screen of your phone while you're driving, but it's best to not be looking at your phone anyway.

ram_1500_qi_charger_phone.jpg
iPhone XS Max on wireless charger
Wireless CarPlay is not supported in the Ram 1500 or in any Uconnect system, so you'll need to have a Lightning to USB (Type-A or Type-C) cable on hand to hook things up. The rubbery phone holder in the center stack can hold a second phone to the right of the Qi charger, although larger phones with a cable sticking out may get in the way of the some of the toggle switches for parking sensors.

Wrap-up
The available 12-inch portrait display on the Ram 1500 is a rare feature among automotive infotainment systems, and it strikes an impressive look when you first encounter it. It's certainly handy being able to see two full-size app screens simultaneously, although some other manufacturers have been able to get away with nearly as much functionality packed into a split 75/25 widescreen display.

I appreciated that Ram maintained hardware buttons for the most important climate control options, as well as volume and tune/scroll knobs for those times you want to make changes by feel. And I really like the way Uconnect makes it easy to access frequently used functions through the customizable menu bar at the bottom of the screen.

Even more so, as with the Pacifica, I love the way CarPlay feels so integrated into Uconnect, making it incredibly easy to jump back and forth between the two systems. The split-screen portrait display even helps integrate things further by giving you access to both systems without even needing to switch.

Yes, there are a few quirks introduced by the fact that CarPlay usurps some of the traditional infotainment system functions, quirks made more obvious by that double app screen that lets you interact with both systems simultaneously. But overall, it's a net positive.

I do also still have some concerns about the shift toward increasingly large touchscreens in vehicles, which can make it harder to make changes by feel and end up taking your eyes off the road for longer. A portrait display magnifies these issues by bringing significant portions of the display lower on the center stack and away from the driver's line of sight. I would have appreciated it if the display could have been moved all the way to the top of the stack to minimize this issue as much as possible.

Pricing
The 2019 Ram 1500 starts at $31,795 for the Tradesman trim, but that only comes with a 5-inch Uconnect 3 infotainment system that doesn't support CarPlay. If you want CarPlay, you'll need to step up to at least the second-level Big Horn/Lone Star trim with the Level 1 Equipment Group that bumps up to an 8.4-inch Uconnect 4 system, bringing the total up to at a bit over $40,000.

The 12-inch portrait display reviewed here requires a minimum of the Laramie trim plus the Level 1 Equipment Group and the 12-inch display upgrade, which tips the scales at a little over $44,000. You can of course add all sorts of other upgrades to the Ram 1500, with my tester approaching $55,000 and a maxed out Limited model coming in at over $65,000.

Pickup trucks like the Ram 1500 have to serve a wide range of needs, so they're generally highly customizable with a variety of options across all different price ranges, and the Ram 1500 is certainly no exception. It would be nice if the 12-inch display system could be an option on lower-tier trims for tech-heavy users who may not have a need for some of the other upgrades you get as you move up the trim chart, but it's certainly not unusual for top-end technology to be limited to higher vehicle trims.

I just got rid of my '16 Ram 2500 Limited. The interior was really nice in the truck. The UConnect system would glitch out at least once a week. I'd get a green screen. The backup camera would also glitch out weekly. Based on that experience I'm not sure I'd want all of my climate controls to be touch screen. It looks cool though.

Cdog

Reaction score
I just got rid of my '16 Ram 2500 Limited. The interior was really nice in the truck. The UConnect system would glitch out at least once a week. I'd get a green screen. The backup camera would also glitch out weekly. Based on that experience I'm not sure I'd want all of my climate controls to be touch screen. It looks cool though.

The reality. You’ll have the nicest interior to sit in while you wait for a tow truck.

Enen

Reaction score
The reality. You’ll have the nicest interior to sit in while you wait for a tow truck.

LOL. The interior is certainly nice. I don't think Ram's interior is superior to the Ford Platinum level interiors in any way.
The new GM's interiors are the same as the '15+ trucks. A few new bells and whistles added in camera tech, but the same dash, same seats. Its a nice interior but not on the level of Ford Platinum or Ram Limited level even in Denali trim.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
1/2 ton trucks:
Require EPA MPG ratings
MPG ratings count toward CAFE numbers

3/4 ton and above trucks:
Do not require EPA MPG ratings
MPG ratings do not count toward CAFE numbers

If a 7L V8 is real, it ain’t going into an F150
IMHO YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Has this changed in recent years? In 1984 I was looking to order a big block powered crew cab and was told by ford I could only get a diesel and I had to wait eight months to get a big block in a Chevrolet, was told it was CAFE ratings Limited production on big blocks, not doubting your word. I’m just wondering if the dealerships were just flat out lying to me or something had changed. LOL

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Has this changed in recent years? In 1984 I was looking to order a big block powered crew cab and was told by ford I could only get a diesel and I had to wait eight months to get a big block in a Chevrolet, was told it was CAFE ratings Limited production on big blocks, not doubting your word. I’m just wondering if the dealerships were just flat out lying to me or something had changed. LOL

Things have changed quite a bit since 1984 [emoji4]

Generally speaking, IIRC passenger vehicles and light-duty pickups up to 8500 lbs GVWR are included in CAFE numbers.

Heavier pickups meet different standards.

There’s no mpg rating on 2500 and up pickups, the results aren’t publicized and they don’t contribute to CAFE numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Things have changed quite a bit since 1984 [emoji4]

Generally speaking, IIRC passenger vehicles and light-duty pickups up to 8500 lbs GVWR are included in CAFE numbers.

Heavier pickups meet different standards.

There’s no mpg rating on 2500 and up pickups, the results aren’t publicized and they don’t contribute to CAFE numbers.

I think you just called me old :(:mad::D

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
2020 Ford Super Duty Gets Big 7.3-Liter Gas Engine, Torquier Diesel, 10-Speed Auto
gmyysipvue5ucczqpohp.jpg

The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD is getting revealed today in Michigan, so—presumably to take away some of the attention—Ford just released some basic info on the 2020 Ford Super Duty. There’s a new 7.3-liter gas motor, more power and torque from the 6.7-liter diesel, and a new 10-speed automatic transmission. Here’s a first look at the new heavy duty line of Ford trucks.

When asked whether it was a coincidence that Ford released new details on the day of the Silverado HD reveal, a company spokesperson responded with simply: “I don’t know. You’ll need to ask Chevrolet.” Looking at the press release, the answer seems obvious, mainly because there’s a lot missing.

For one, there’s no mention of torque, which in the heavy duty truck world—where the torque wars are in full swing, with Ram dealing the latest 1,000 lb-ft blow—is critical. Plus, there are no towing figures, no horsepower figures, and frankly, just not a lot of figures at all.

But what Ford did say in the random-but-surely-not-random press release is that it’s updated the 6.7-liter diesel motor to produce more power and torque than the current 2019 Super Duty, which pumps out 450 HP and 935 lb-ft. In addition, the other current engine option, the 385 horsepower, 430 lb-ft 6.2-liter gas motor, will for 2020 be joined by an “all-new” 7.3-liter gas engine, though—again—Ford has offered no power or torque figures, only saying that it will be the “most powerful gas V8 in its class.”

Towing and payload capabilities, Ford says, will also go up for 2020.

View attachment upload_2019-2-5_22-53-53.gif
Managing the output from the updated diesel and all-new gas motor will be a 10-speed “TorqShift” automatic transmission, which Ford says will be available on the 6.2-liter as well. All current Super Duty Fords use six-speed autos, so this is quite a jump in gear count.

The 6.7-liter engine shown above, Ford says, gets all new injectors, a redesigned variable-geometry turbo, as well as structural changes to the head, block, connecting rods, pistons, and bearings.

As for the 7.3-liter gas motor—which Ford fans may notice shares its displacement with the legendary Navistar-designed 7.3-liter PowerStroke diesel found in Super Duties in the ’90s and 2000s—Ford says it’s a brand new engine architecture, though it’s got lots of classic old truck motor characteristics, including a cast iron block, a pushrod design, and port injection.

Ford says the engine has a forged steel crankshaft, variable valve timing, and “oil jets cool the pistons under heavy loads.”

On top of the powertrain upgrades, the new Super Duty gets a new front end design, some interior updates, more standard safety features like automatic emergency braking (on XLT and up), and a bunch of fancy new electronic gadgets like Pro Trailer Backup Assist to help you snake that huge horse trailer into your driveway.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-5_22-53-53.gif
    37 bytes · Views: 306
    37 bytes · Views: 301
    37 bytes · Views: 300
    37 bytes · Views: 298
    37 bytes · Views: 290
    37 bytes · Views: 309

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
As an FYI.....Yesterday I ordered a 2019 Ram 2500 Cummins Mega 4x4 Limited at Earnhardt in Phoenix. They sold it to me at dealer cost, so they pocketed the holdback of $2200, I was fine with that. My business buys a lot of fleet vehicles so I believe I got the best deal possible, there are no incentives on this truck and they don't expect any until next year.

Placed the order while i was there and received word back that delivery would be late March, early April. They have approx 40 various 2019 2500 and 3500 vehicles inbound expected to arrive in the next couple weeks, none of these spec'ed the way i wanted it. Was advised that all the Ram dealers have initial shipments of 2500 and 3500's inbound so they should show up on lots pretty soon.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Seen a new ford ranger in hotel parking lot in colombia
20190206_120007.jpg
20190206_120007.jpg
20190206_120024.jpg
20190206_115955.jpg
20190206_120007.jpg
20190206_120024.jpg
20190206_115955.jpg

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Hideous or not? You decide...

It might look like a one-off build commissioned by the truck's brave and touched owner, destined to become legend on his local roads and beyond. But as we found out, that tapered, louvered roofline—styled after the 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1—is actually a new production bed cap called the Aero X, and its creators at Michigan Vehicle Solutions are hoping to make fastback pickup trucks the next big thing.

The company is one of those all-purpose automotive outfits that does everything from custom part installations to complete restorations and pretty much everything in between. What it's never been is a manufacturer, which hasn't stopped CEO Rich Oliver from pursuing his vision for a fastback bed cap.

"We looked around and saw the lack of innovation out there," Oliver tells The Drive. "It's time for a different thing from our grandfathers' bed caps. The flat tonneau, the shoebox, all that has run its course."

message-editor%2F1549574160787-48411944_1896493003753772_8898422606605058048_o.jpg

message-editor%2F1549574125651-36441895_1659853537417721_7362108217800785920_o.jpg

message-editor%2F1549574177092-44033753_1806113792791694_2259949866316726272_o.jpg

message-editor%2F1549575678853-48357487_1896401957096210_2181248249929662464_ocopy.jpg

The Aero X is nothing if not different. Currently available for the 2015+ Ford F-150 in 5 1/2-foot and 6 1/2-foot lengths, the 260-pound fiberglass topper adds a Mustang-inspired sloping roofline and louvered rear window, a lockable clamshell opening for convenient access, and extra options like a built-in sound system. It attaches using the industry-standard bed clamps like any other bed cap, no modifications required, and it starts at $3,995.

It's true that out of any vehicle, the profile of a pickup truck has changed the least over the last century—there's either a box or a bed behind the cab. But it's also true that of any vehicle, the way we use pickup trucks has probably changed the most over that time, going from work tools to everyday drivers. So, okay, maybe there is room to do something different, especially since the weatherproof space essentially turns the bed into a giant trunk.

But why the Mustang fastback? Oliver says there was no real market research, no business case other than the billions of dollars customers spend in the truck aftermarket every year. (The Ford F-150's status as America's best-selling truck didn't hurt, either.) After commissioning a few renderings and nailing down a final design, he committed to producing the Aero X. "It's been a 'if you build it, they will come' kind of process," he says.

The concept of a sloped, aerodynamically-efficient bed cap for a pickup isn't entirely new, but until now they've been the provenance of design studios, homebrew eco-modders, and the occasional rally raid truck. By contrast, the production Aero X was born from a form-over-function approach—that is, it looks the way it does because Oliver thought it was cool. The minor boost in fuel economy provided by that sleeker profile, which MVS hasn't formally tested, is incidental to the style.

Neither the design nor construction were as simple as chopping fastbacks off Mustangs and plopping them onto the F-150, of course. Program manager Jim Thompson tells us the team played around with the angle of the slope and how much it should taper in when viewed from behind before settling on the final look—which Oliver admits can have a polarizing effect on people.

We think it looks surprisingly good with the decal package on the truck in the Twitter photo; slightly less so on the trucks seen here. If you're going to go all out, go all out. There are a few alpha issues we can spot right away, like how the topper looks ill-fitting when placed over the Ford Raptor's wide fenders. The design also feels a little more cohesive with the short bed. We'd love to see one backing a single cab as well.

For America's roads to be ruled by fastback pickups, though, MVS will need an OEM or large aftermarket partner to help with production and installation. As it stands now, the company can only make between 8 and 10 Aero Xs per week at its facility, and fast, efficient shipping remains a hurdle. A Ford representative who recently swung by for a meeting had one big question, according to Oliver: "If I need 10,000 this week, who's going to build them?"

There's no simple answer yet. As to the question of who's going to buy them, Oliver claims the company gets at least several calls a day from prospective owners since it showed the Aero X at SEMA last year. So MVS is focused on meeting current demand, building up inventory, and further refining the feature set to lower costs. But the ultimate goal, Oliver says, is to develop fastback bed caps for every pickup on the market.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Hideous or not? You decide...

It might look like a one-off build commissioned by the truck's brave and touched owner, destined to become legend on his local roads and beyond. But as we found out, that tapered, louvered roofline—styled after the 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1—is actually a new production bed cap called the Aero X, and its creators at Michigan Vehicle Solutions are hoping to make fastback pickup trucks the next big thing.

The company is one of those all-purpose automotive outfits that does everything from custom part installations to complete restorations and pretty much everything in between. What it's never been is a manufacturer, which hasn't stopped CEO Rich Oliver from pursuing his vision for a fastback bed cap.

"We looked around and saw the lack of innovation out there," Oliver tells The Drive. "It's time for a different thing from our grandfathers' bed caps. The flat tonneau, the shoebox, all that has run its course."

message-editor%2F1549574160787-48411944_1896493003753772_8898422606605058048_o.jpg

message-editor%2F1549574125651-36441895_1659853537417721_7362108217800785920_o.jpg

message-editor%2F1549574177092-44033753_1806113792791694_2259949866316726272_o.jpg

message-editor%2F1549575678853-48357487_1896401957096210_2181248249929662464_ocopy.jpg

The Aero X is nothing if not different. Currently available for the 2015+ Ford F-150 in 5 1/2-foot and 6 1/2-foot lengths, the 260-pound fiberglass topper adds a Mustang-inspired sloping roofline and louvered rear window, a lockable clamshell opening for convenient access, and extra options like a built-in sound system. It attaches using the industry-standard bed clamps like any other bed cap, no modifications required, and it starts at $3,995.

It's true that out of any vehicle, the profile of a pickup truck has changed the least over the last century—there's either a box or a bed behind the cab. But it's also true that of any vehicle, the way we use pickup trucks has probably changed the most over that time, going from work tools to everyday drivers. So, okay, maybe there is room to do something different, especially since the weatherproof space essentially turns the bed into a giant trunk.

But why the Mustang fastback? Oliver says there was no real market research, no business case other than the billions of dollars customers spend in the truck aftermarket every year. (The Ford F-150's status as America's best-selling truck didn't hurt, either.) After commissioning a few renderings and nailing down a final design, he committed to producing the Aero X. "It's been a 'if you build it, they will come' kind of process," he says.

The concept of a sloped, aerodynamically-efficient bed cap for a pickup isn't entirely new, but until now they've been the provenance of design studios, homebrew eco-modders, and the occasional rally raid truck. By contrast, the production Aero X was born from a form-over-function approach—that is, it looks the way it does because Oliver thought it was cool. The minor boost in fuel economy provided by that sleeker profile, which MVS hasn't formally tested, is incidental to the style.

Neither the design nor construction were as simple as chopping fastbacks off Mustangs and plopping them onto the F-150, of course. Program manager Jim Thompson tells us the team played around with the angle of the slope and how much it should taper in when viewed from behind before settling on the final look—which Oliver admits can have a polarizing effect on people.

We think it looks surprisingly good with the decal package on the truck in the Twitter photo; slightly less so on the trucks seen here. If you're going to go all out, go all out. There are a few alpha issues we can spot right away, like how the topper looks ill-fitting when placed over the Ford Raptor's wide fenders. The design also feels a little more cohesive with the short bed. We'd love to see one backing a single cab as well.

For America's roads to be ruled by fastback pickups, though, MVS will need an OEM or large aftermarket partner to help with production and installation. As it stands now, the company can only make between 8 and 10 Aero Xs per week at its facility, and fast, efficient shipping remains a hurdle. A Ford representative who recently swung by for a meeting had one big question, according to Oliver: "If I need 10,000 this week, who's going to build them?"

There's no simple answer yet. As to the question of who's going to buy them, Oliver claims the company gets at least several calls a day from prospective owners since it showed the Aero X at SEMA last year. So MVS is focused on meeting current demand, building up inventory, and further refining the feature set to lower costs. But the ultimate goal, Oliver says, is to develop fastback bed caps for every pickup on the market.

Pepboys special right there.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Ford's losing its edge in half tons to the fiat groups " hemi" , and midsized trucks to everyone else.

The return of the Rangers a dud so far garnering 3nd or last place in all its late reviews.

An oil pump with a 10-minute limit before you lose prime during an oil change is another late minute discovery - on top of all the BS you have to remove to get to it - its a rush job BS deal.

This means something because a small displacement GDIT (gasoline direct injection turbo) is a step backward when it comes to sump life from what most are used to with an NA SBC
You typically get the computer telling you its time at around 4-5K or les with a rig like that where my old rig could easily do a full 10-15KK or towing and still test ready for more.

I do my own minor maintenance as a trip to the dealer becomes more about time than money

UD

spectras only

Reaction score
I wouldn't put that thing on my truck if given to me for free.:eek:

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Ford Says Its New 7.3-Liter V8 Can Fit In The F-150, Mustang
FEB 11, 2019

But, most likely, neither of them will get it.

In Chicago last week, Ford debuted its revamped F-Series Heavy Duty lineup which introduced the brand’s new 7.3-liter naturally aspirated V8 gasoline engine. No power, performance, and efficiency numbers are available yet, but the Blue Oval expects it to be “the most powerful gas V8 in its class.”

Shortly after the premiere of the HD truck at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show, MotorAuthority had the chance to chat with Ford spokesman Mike Levine who told the company the new motor can fit in both the current generation Mustang and F-150. That’s technically possible but does it makes sense at all? Not really.

Levine commented that the new V8 is a true truck engine with an iron block. While it uses a new cam-in-block, overhead valve architecture with forged steel crankshaft, it remains a powertrain that’s been designed especially with HD trucks in mind.

That means it’s too heavy for the Mustang and will affect its weight balance, so it’s probably safe to say Ford will never use it in the sports car. That doesn’t mean tuning companies won’t experiment though, as Levine predicted we will see the 7.3-liter V8 in the Pony at the SEMA this or next year.

2020-ford-super-duty-7-3-gas-engine.jpg

Our colleagues at MotorAuthority claim we might see the new V8 under the hood of the F-150 but we are not going to put our money on that option. Even in that segment, manufacturers are, more or less, following the downsizing trend and it seems unlikely that Ford will go against the tide.

In the new Super Duty, the 7.3-liter V8 will work together with a 10-speed automatic gearbox. The same transmission will also be offered for the 6.7-liter Power Stroke engine which now uses a new fuel injection system. As a side note, the 10-speed auto is actually very similar to the ‘box that’s currently offered for the Mustang.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-11_8-8-55.png
    upload_2019-2-11_8-8-55.png
    120 bytes · Views: 293

pronstar

Reaction score
“The most powerful gas V8 in its class”.

Why other engines are in this class?
It’s a class of one, methinks.
Gotta love marketing guys.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Chevrolet Discounts Silverado HD By $4,500 In February 2019
FEB 10, 2019

2017-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-exterior-002-720x340.jpg

A new Chevrolet discount reduces the price of select 2019 model year Silverado HD models by as much as $4,500.

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-3500HD-001-Rear-Three-Quarters-1024x683.jpg

The Incentives
Nationwide Chevrolet discounts on the Silverado HD for February 2019 are as follows:

2018 Silverado HD:

• $2,500 total cash allowance (applies to 2500HD and 3500HD models)
  • 0 percent APR for 72 months + $1,000 customer cash when financing with GM Financial (applies to 2500HD and 3500HD models)
2019 Silverado HD:

• $4,500 total cash allowance when financing with GM Financial (applies to 2500HD and 3500 HD models)
  • $2,000 total customer cash (applies to 2500HD and 3500 HD models)

Notably, some of the incentives are only for current owners/lesses of GM vehicles.

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-HD-February-2019-Incentive-1024x423.jpg

For reference, here are the applicable 2018 and 2019 Silverado HD trim levels and their corresponding startingMSRPs:

2019 Silverado HD:
  • 2500HD
    • WT – $39,095
    • LT – $43,995
    • LTZ – $50,995
    • High Country – $57,395
  • 3500HD
    • WT – $41,795
    • LT – $46,895
    • LTZ – $51,995
    • High Country – $57,495
2018 Silverado HD:
  • 2500HD
    • WT – $35,895
    • LT – $40,295
    • LTZ – $48,195
    • High Country – $57,195
  • 3500HD
    • WT – $36,995
    • LT – $40,995
    • LTZ – $49,695
    • High Country – $57,295
As such, the $4,500 Chevrolet discount brings the starting price of the 2019 Silverado 2500HD LT to just $38,495, which is more affordable than a base Work Truck model of the same model year. Meanwhile, the $2,500 Chevrolet discount brings the starting price of the 2018 Silverado 2500HD WT pickup to just $33,395.

2016-Chevrolet-Silverado-HD-Interior-1024x682.jpg

Notably, the discount comes on the heels of Chevrolet announcing the all-new, 2020 Silverado HD with new technologies and strong capabilities. As such, it’s likely that the incentive is the result of Chevy countering an expected drop in demand due to some customers holding off on buying a new Silverado HD having seen the new, 2020 MY model and its various advanced, benefits and advantages.

Disclaimers
  • Must take delivery by February 28, 2019.
  • See dealer for details.
  • Incentive for the United States of America, unless otherwise specified.
  • Some customers may not qualify for this offer.
  • Offer not available with special finance, lease, and some other offers.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Love me a hard pulling modern gas bigblock with a 10 speed.

Im tired of all the windmills , uri- juices, and DPF / fuel spraying nonsense.

UD

I do too. I’m comparing a Titan XD to a Chevy so my apologies, but my 5.6 gas motor doesn’t have any def or egr woes, no cylinder deactivation or start stop non sense. It seems to be one of the easiest vehicle to work on that I’ve owned so far. For that reason I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I do too. I’m comparing a Titan XD to a Chevy so my apologies, but my 5.6 gas motor doesn’t have any def or egr woes, no cylinder deactivation or start stop non sense. It seems to be one of the easiest vehicle to work on that I’ve owned so far. For that reason I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my 04 titan.

All the current gas motors are small blocks mostly in the 1/2 ton stuff a few gasoline 3/4 trucks with engines that are too small.

Ford will put the big block in the f250.

UD

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Here's why Ford's 7.3-liter pushrod motor won't go into the F-150/Raptor: MPGs

dd1364378a506d8a0fcf7f8cd893cbf1

A new pushrod V-8, let alone one displacing a hearty 7.3 liters, might seem backwards to you. But it isn't. We talked to Joel Beltramo, manager for V-8 gas engines at Ford, about why a big pushrod motor makes sense here.

Beltramo pointed out that most vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of under 8500 pounds cruise around without carrying or towing much weight at all. That means they don't use much sustained horsepower. By contrast, vehicles with a GVWR over 8500 pounds tend to tow and haul a lot, which means they're using a lot of their horsepower a lot of the time.

In vehicles with 14,000-plus-pound GVWRs-like the Ford Super Duty-Beltramo told us its critical for an engine to operate at peak power with an optimal air-fuel ratio (stoichiometric efficiency). From there, Ford worked backwards.

"We built a map of where an engine, can run stoichiometric air-fuel without a bunch of spark retard," Beltramo said. "That led us to a torque-per-liter value and a power-per-liter value, [which] knowing that, boxed us to 7.3 liters."

For fuel efficiency's sake, Ford engineers determined they wanted the engine to generate peak power at what Beltramo considers "relatively low" RPMs. "That's what led us to a pushrod two-valve. It really is the optimum solution for the over 14,000-pound [segment]."

Typically, a pushrod engine makes lots of torque at low RPMs, while an overhead-cam engine-like the 5.0-liter Coyote in the Mustang-does its best work from the middle to the top of the rev range. When towing/hauling a big load, a truck's engine needs to be making peak power, and if it's doing so at relatively low RPMs, it won't use a ton of gas

"If you used [the 7.3-liter] in an F-150 or something, it would not return the kind of fuel economy at light load as some of our other engine offerings that we deploy in that vehicle," Beltramo said. "There would be a hit for the displacement. But when you start talking about running day-in day-out, at high weights...the displacement brings a big fuel-economy benefit."

Yellowboat

Reaction score
“The most powerful gas V8 in its class”.

Why other engines are in this class?
It’s a class of one, methinks.
Gotta love marketing guys.

The only reason why this motor is being built is that current diesel tech has not caught up with the regs yet.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Typically, a pushrod engine makes lots of torque at low RPMs, while an overhead-cam engine-like the 5.0-liter Coyote in the Mustang-does its best work from the middle to the top of the rev range. When towing/hauling a big load, a truck's engine needs to be making peak power, and if it's doing so at relatively low RPMs, it won't use a ton of gas

I'm guessing this is a function of cam design. Is there a reason that an OHC engine can't have the longer duration cams that build torque at lower RPM?

pronstar

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is a function of cam design. Is there a reason that an OHC engine can't have the longer duration cams that build torque at lower RPM?

Yeah he’s oversimplified things.
The 5.3L V8 in my Silverado is pretty weak down low. It’s torque peak is over 4K rpm.

Cam, bore vs stroke, and any number of other factors, when combined together, dictate where an engine makes its power.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
LINE IN THE DIRT: DETROIT 3 AUTOMAKERS BET BIG ON BIG TRUCKS
The HD pickup wars are upon us
FEBRUARY 12, 2019

Untitled-1_690.jpg

Heavy- and medium-duty pickup truck capability has never been greater.

You'll rarely see a Ford F-450 in the front of a showroom. A Chevrolet Silverado HD or Ram 3500 won't get a high-profile celebrity endorsement.

But the heavy-duty pickups are ubiquitous at construction sites and in commercial fleets. They haul concrete, plow snow and rake in major profits.

Ford says its commercial vehicle business — which also includes its Transit and Transit Connect vans — earned $10 billion in 2017 on $72 billion in revenue, for a profit margin of 14 percent. If it were a standalone company, it would be a Fortune 40 business bigger than Procter & Gamble.

The big bucks spent in the heavy-duty segment have created a heavyweight brawl as the Detroit 3 race to gain a competitive edge by boosting their trucks' capabilities and adding technology once reserved for luxury brands.

Ford, the dominant player, showed a freshened Super Duty at the Chicago Auto Show that features advanced driver-assistance technology and new powertrains it claims will make the model its most powerful. GM, eager to eat into Ford's lead, is adding trims and options to its redesigned Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD lineups. And Fiat Chrysler Automobiles promised 1,000 pound-feet of torque along with lush interiors on its redesigned Ram 2500 and 3500 HD trucks that debuted at last month's Detroit auto show.

"These are kind of the unsung heroes of our portfolio," Kumar Galhotra, Ford's president of North America, said during a media briefing on the freshened Super Duty. "They don't get as many headlines, but they're really strong in terms of growth, in terms of market share, in terms of revenue generation and, most importantly, in terms of profitability."

oe0a8456.jpg

oe0a8475.jpg

oe0a8482.jpg

Super power
Ford's Super Duty pickups — which include the F-250, F-350 and F-450 — have been steadily updated since their introduction in 1999.

The freshened 2020 model will debut the third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel alongside a new 7.3-liter V-8 engine and updated 6.2-liter V-8.

A new 10-speed transmission, which replaces a six-speed, is better for towing, Ford said, adding that the Super Duty will be the only vehicle in the segment to offer live-drive power takeoff, which allows the operator to engage snowplows and other equipment while driving.

Although executives declined to offer specific figures, they said the new powertrains will improve power, payload and towing capability, critical stats for the companies that most use the brawny pickups.

In the last 10 years, Ford's maximum towing capability has jumped roughly 10,000 pounds, a spokesman said. The 2019 F-450 can tow up to 35,000 pounds with its diesel engine. Ford would not get into specifics on the 2020 Super Duty, saying only that the rating would increase.

In the past, Silverados looked like Silverados -- no matter if they were light-duty or heavy-duty models. The design itself was largely shared between the two. No more. Chevrolet has taken a page from ...

Towing battle
Rivals are just catching up to Ford's towing figure.

GM's redesigned heavy-duty pickups, when equipped with an optional 6.6-liter diesel V-8 rated at 445 hp and 910 pound-feet of torque, will be able to tow up to 35,500 pounds — an increase of more than 50 percent from the outgoing models.

The redesigned Ram, meanwhile, can tow up to 35,100 pounds.

GM's heavy-duty pickups will offer a 6.6-liter gasoline V-8 with direct injection producing 401 hp and 464 pound-feet of torque. That's 11 percent more horsepower and a 22 percent increase in peak torque, resulting in 18 percent more towing capability — 17,400 pounds — according to GM. It replaces a 6.0-liter gasoline V-8 that delivered 360 hp and 380 pound-feet of torque.

The Silverado models, when they arrive in showrooms midyear, will be available in five trim levels, including the loaded-up LTZ and High Country versions, across 22 cab, bed, chassis and driveline configurations. The Sierra HD lineup includes the high-end Denali and the AT4 version targeting off-roaders. Both vehicles will be offered in dual-rear-wheel and single-rear-wheel configurations.

Ram, meanwhile, is hanging its hat on its four-digit torque figure. The 1,000 pound-feet for the Ram 3500's new 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel engine is a milestone for the segment that bests GM's upcoming 910 pound-feet.

Although Ford has not revealed the 2020 model's torque rating, Ram for the moment edges Ford's outgoing Power Stroke diesel V-8, which has a torque rating of 935 pound-feet.

Technology updates
In addition to capability, technology enhancements and interior improvements have made Detroit's heavy-duty pickups nearly as luxurious as some premium brands — and nearly as pricey.

The trend began in the early 2000s when Ford added a leather-laced King Ranch trim to the Super Duty lineup.

Ram has followed suit, adding ample leather and wood to its latest models, as well as a 12-inch touch screen option.

Ford's newest Super Duty pickups will come with an optional pro-trailer backup assist feature that is used on the smaller F-150. The class-exclusive feature lets drivers steer a trailer via a reverse camera that can handle all styles, including fifth wheels and goosenecks.

They also get lane-keep assist, emergency braking with pedestrian detection and blind-spot monitoring technology. The features are standard on XLT and higher trims and were designed specifically for vehicles meant to haul heavy loads.

Ford also added new drive modes, including Eco, Slippery and Sand/Mud. The trucks come with an embedded 4G LTE modem and Wi-Fi.

"Driver assistance technology is probably more relevant to our commercial customers than anyone else," said Mike Pruitt, Super Duty's chief engineer. "When your truck is your livelihood, its not just yourself you're protecting, it's your assets."

https://autoweek.com/article/trucks/line-dirt-detroit-3-automakers-bet-big-big-trucks#ixzz5fScwT5jK

WhatExit?

Reaction score
2019 Chicago Auto Show: Ford Upgrades F-Series Super Duties
February 05, 2019 by Jerry Hirsch, @Jerryhirsch

Ford's F-series Super Duty pickups come with a new 10-speed automatic transmission. Pictured is an F-450. (Photo: Ford)

Ford Motor Co. plans a major upgrade to its 2020 F-Series Super Duty truck line as competition in the heavy-duty pickup market heats up.

Each of the major manufacturers has come out with redesigned models or announced significant improvements to their biggest pickup trucks in recent months.

Ford will debut its Super Duty line with new engines, a new 10-speed automatic transmission and multiple technology enhancements at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show this week.

SERIOUS POWER
The automaker said its improvements will make the Super Duty the most powerful model it has produced. The new engines include a 7.3-liter gasoline V8 and an upgraded third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel V8. Both will be mated to the new heavy-duty transmission.

This third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel V8 is one of the engines available on Ford's Super Duty trucks for the 2020 model year. (Photo: Ford)
Ford has yet to provide specifications for the new engines, but the torque and horsepower ratings are expected to be competitive with or even to top the 2020 Ram HD pickup unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last month. The Ram HD is the first heavy duty pickup to produce up to 1,000 pound-feet of torque, courtesy of a high-output Cummins turbo-diesel 6.7-liter engine rated at 400 horsepower.

General Motors plans to pair a 10-speed Allison automatic transmission with its Duramax diesel engines in the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD, a combination expected to also have competitive power and torque ratings.

‘THE BROCHURE WAR’
“All these guys are fighting the brochure war,” said George Peterson, president of industry research firm AutoPacific. “You need to have all of your comparisons better than the competition.”

Ford is clearly watching its rivals.

Ford-F-250-300x150.jpg

Ford F-250 (Photo: Ford)

“Regardless of what you may have heard of competitors in recent weeks, F-Series Super Duty continues to be the future of heavy-duty pickups. Between more power, more payload, improved towing and better technology, to improve productivity and help our customers build a better world,” said Kumar Galhotra, Ford president, North America.

Ford is already pitching that rivals have to use either an engine or a transmission built by a supplier, noting that it is the only manufacturer to design and build all of its heavy-duty engines and transmissions. The new transmission replaces an older six-speed automatic.

Although it has yet to release power ratings for the new engines, the 7.3-liter gasoline V8 will be the highest rated, most powerful Super Duty gas engine ever, said Dave Filipe, Ford’s vice president of global powertrain. It will slot between the truck line’s entry-level 6.2-liter V8 and the high-output diesel turbo engine.

“We’re going to make it compatible so that it works well within an F-250 Super Duty all the way up to an F-750 Medium Duty,” Filipe said.

The new diesel will be the third generation of Ford’s Power Stroke motor and the most powerful diesel engine produced for the Super Duty line, Filipe said. Typically, about two-thirds of Super Duty buyers opt for the diesel engine.

“We’ve had to beef up the rest of the engine, upgrade our cylinder heads, upgrade our cylinder block, upgrade connecting rods and pistons,” Filipe said.

THE WORK TRUCK MARKET
Ford is making the improvements to maintain its position in the work truck market. While many of the heavy-duty pickups are purchased by consumers who tow boats and horse trailers or just want especially powerful trucks, the bread-and-butter of this market is vocational use.

ford-f-350-300x150.jpg

Ford F-350 (Photo: Ford)

F-Series Super Duty had the most market share in 2018 in industries such as government, with more than 60 percent share; petroleum, with 50 percent share; and utility services, with more than 45 percent share, according to IHS Markit vehicle registration data.

“If the power goes (out) where you live or your phone lines go down, it’s a very good bet that a Ford Super Duty will be on the scene carrying the crews and the equipment that’s needed to restore that service,” Galhotra said.

TECHNOLOGY UPGRADES
Besides adding new powertrains, Ford is equipping the Super Duty line with the same type of driver-assistance features and convenience technology that’s available on its light vehicles.

The bottom-of-the-line XL trim level will come standard with a 4G LTE modem that with a subscription can provide Wi-Fi access for up to 10 devices. It has the latest USB-C ports to charge phones and laptops. There’s a rearview camera and Ford’s SYNC infotainment system with a 4.2-inch screen, small compared with what’s going into lighter trucks and SUVs currently.

Commercial users will get the Ford Telematics fleet-management system, which offers the ability to collect and monitor real-time data from their vehicles. Fleets, for example, can compare what type of fuel economy drivers achieve and monitor safety metrics, such as the number of hard-braking events.

Other safety features, such as automatic emergency braking and a blind-spot alert system, are optional.

The XLT and higher trim levels get standard automatic emergency braking, even for pedestrians. They will have a blind-spot alert system with coverage for trailers. There’s a lane-keeping alert for when the truck starts to drift. The high beams will automatically switch on and off depending on oncoming traffic. The SYNC system gets a larger, 8-inch, touchscreen.

TRAILER TECH
Ford also is providing other technology as options and occasionally standard equipment at the higher trim levels, mostly designed to make towing easier. These systems include Trailer Reverse Guidance, which uses a camera to show trailer angle and direction and provides steering suggestions to most efficiently direct a trailer backward. There’s also Pro Trailer Backup Assist, a knob that allows the driver to take their hands off the steering wheel to more easily guide the trailer via the reverse camera. Both systems are built to accommodate all trailer styles, including fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailers.

trailer-backup-knob-300x150.jpg

Ford’s Pro Trailer Backup Assist allows drivers to take their hands off the wheel and use this knob and the reverse camera to more easily guide a trailer. (Photo: Ford)

Other features include adaptive cruise control and heating to prevent windshield wipers from freezing in cold conditions.

CATCHING UP
Much of what Ford has done is add technology features to the Super Duty trucks that were not ready when they were first introduced in 2016, Peterson said. But the powertrain upgrades and other improvements should maintain Ford’s position as the top player is this segment of the truck market, he said.

“The others are just getting up to where Ford was in 2016 with their 2020 heavy-duty pickups,” Peterson told Trucks.com.

Still, Ram will make some inroads with its new HD line, he said.

“It has a super interior, and that really helps sell a lot of trucks,” Peterson said.

Chevrolet will have more trouble gaining ground “because they have not reached as far.”

Ford’s trucks will be built at its factories in Louisville, Ky., and Avon Lake, Ohio, and go on sale late this year.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
TOYOTA REVEALS RUGGED TRD TRUCKS AND SUVS AT CHICAGO SHOW
2020 4Runner, RAV4, Tacoma and Land Cruiser get special treatments

Toyota revealed a squadron of TRD Pro and Special Edition trucks and SUVs at the Chicago Auto Show today, with something for just about every model made.

There are 2020 TRD Pro models of the 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia, as well as a TRD Off Road package for the RAV4. To top it off, there’s a 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage edition. That means there’s a high-profit version of just about every truck and SUV Toyota makes. Let’s take a look:

The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off Road gets a TRD off-road suspension “inspired by” the Rally RAV4 race team, with standard dynamic torque vectoring all-wheel drive, Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail all-terrain tires on TRD 18-inch matte black wheels and TRD exterior and interior features like magnetic gray metallic paint, dark gray front and rear lower fascias and standard front fog lights. Red stitching and red trim accent the interior.

The 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro setup includes internal bypass Fox shocks with progressive damping that Toyota claims will combine a smooth ride with the stiffness necessary for off-road driving. Outside, this Sequoia gets Rigid Industries fog lights and TRD 18-inch-by-8-inch BBS forged aluminum wheels. A cat-back exhaust finishes the job. TRD Pro black leather-trimmed seats with red stitching complement the interior.

The 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition gets exclusive interior and exterior trim including midnight black metallic or blizzard pearl paint with a black-accented grille and bronze-colored BBS wheels. Inside is black leather upholstery and bronze contrast stitching.

The 2020 Tacoma TRD Pro gets a few upgrades for 2020 including new sequential LED/DRL headlamps and black-insert tail lamps, 16-inch wheels and Rigid Industries LED fog lamps, in addition to a new Army green exterior color. It also gets 10-way power seats and a new 8-inch touchscreen display.

https://autoweek.com/article/chicag...rd-trucks-and-suvs-chicago-show#ixzz5fSk8Zxbe

WhatExit?

Reaction score
General Motors and Amazon may back electric truck startup Rivian, report says

General Motors and Amazon are in talks to take a stake in electric truck startup Rvian, people familiar with the matter told Reuters on Tuesday.

The Michigan-based outfit made a splash at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November, when it revealed the futuristic battery-powered pickup and SUV that it plans to start building at a former Mitsubishi factory in Normal, Ill., next year.

4967301c-riv-1.jpg

The independently-developed vehicles feature a claimed range of up to 400 miles per charge, supercar-like acceleration and an air suspension that can raise them high enough to provide over a foot of ground clearance and the ability to ford through water a yard deep. Clever design features include a front trunk, a pass-through storage bin between the cab and bed, a flip-down tailgate and a retractable tonneau cover.

riv-2.jpg

Rivian is aiming to offer the luxury vehicles at a starting price of $69,000, and is working with outside firms to develop a Level 3 autonomous driving system that will allow for hands-free driving in some situations.

0b959c43-rhi-3.jpg

Popstar Rihanna, whose boyfriend Hassan Jameel is deputy vice chairman of Rivian investor Abdul Latif Jameel Co., attended the company's November launch event in Los Angeles.

The company was founded in Florida in 2009 by MIT mechanical engineering degree-holder R.J. Scaringe to develop a hybrid electric sports car, but shifted its focus to electric trucks a few years later. It has 700 employees today working at locations in California, Michigan, Illinois and the United Kingdom. Current backers include Abdul Latif Jameel Co., Sumitomo Corp of Americas and Standard Chartered Bank.

FOX NEWS AUTOS INTERVIEW WITH R.J. SCARINGE:

Video
The anonymous sources told Reuters that the investments would value Rivian at between $1 billion and $2 billion.

riv-3.jpg

Amazon has not commented on the report, but GM issued a statement that said "we admire Rivian's contribution to a future of zero emissions and an all-electric future," while a Rivian spokesperson told the Detroit News that "we respect GM's vision of the future of mobility but have no immediate comment on this story.”

FORD CONFIRMS PLANS FOR ELECTRIC F-150

GM currently sells the battery-powered Chevrolet Bolt electric crossover and has promised to introduce 20 new all-electric models by 2023, so far confirming only that one of them will be a Cadillac utility vehicle. Last week Amazon took part in a $530 million investment round in autonomous driving tech company Aurora, and reportedly has an in-house team focused self-driving systems.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
It's all about the chassis: A closer look at Ram's heavy-duty work trucks

Most of the secret to the maximum 35,220-pound towing capability in the new Ram heavy duty chassis trucks is in the framing(Credit: Ram Truck)

Ram Truck unveiled new chassis cab heavy-duty work truck models at the Chicago Auto Show in February. With towing maxing at over 35,000 pounds, it's clear that something is happening with these trucks. Now we've had a chance to get up close and learn that the secret is in chassis engineering.

The similarities between the consumer-grade half-ton Ram 1500 pickupsand their heavy duty siblings are clear. Even the work truck versions unveiled in Chicago have a lot of similarities. Yet those are mainly on the surface. Removing the bodywork and interiors shows that the Ram 1500 and the heavier 3500/4500/5500 trucks are very different.

Traditionally, the numbers denoting a work truck's vehicle class (aka "capability") are divided into four groups in the United States. A Class 2 vehicle is anything with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) at or under 10,000 pounds, often referred to as a "2500" or "three-quarter ton" truck or van. A Class 3 (3500) is at or under 14,000 pounds, a Class 4 at or under 16,000 pounds, and a Class 5 at or under 19,500 pounds. The Ram chassis we'll be discussing here are inside the Class 3 to 5 categories.

Most of the secret to the maximum 35,220-pound (15,975 kilogram) towing capacity and 12,510-pound (5,674 kg) maximum cargo capacity in the new Ram heavy duty chassis trucks is in the framing. The new chassis is based on a frame made up almost entirely (97 percent) of high-strength steels. The C-channel rear frame rails use 50,000 psi steel and have eight separate roll-formed cross members. This means a highly rigid yet light weight frame.

Ram's new design for the heavy duty chassis cab framing includes a hydroformed front rail section with a wide frame rail width to accommodate outboard positioning of the suspension springs to improve roll stiffness. Ram says this improves both the ride quality and weight carrying capacity of the truck's front track, aiding stability in the process. On the 3500-class truck, a long-weld cross member adds stiffness without requiring more reinforcement. The other trucks have a more traditional multi-point front section.

Ram heavy duty commercial trucks also have other design elements made to allow aftermarket and specialty add-ons for equipment easier. All items in the truck's components behind the cab are kept below the top of the frame rails, which are themselves pre-drilled with mounting holes and set with the upper portion of the "C" flat and level. Dual fuel tanks are available on all models, also positioned below the railing, and fuel fillers and channels are kept inside the framing for that same purpose. The dual tanks are self-leveling, requiring no operator switch to swap tanks as one empties.

The suspension on the 2019 Ram chassis cab models works in concert with the framing. A three-link coil sprung front suspension on the 3500 is designed for heavy loads, positioned with two frame-to-axle radius arms and a 35mm stabilizer bar. A five-link coil is attached to a beam axle for increased capability commensurate with the 4500 and 5500 models. Front shock absorption on the trucks consists of gas-charged pistons with built-in rebound travel stops, tuned to the chassis cab truck's wheelbase, powertrain, and capability. The 4500 and 5500 models can be outfitted with higher-capacity springs for forward-biased weights in upfit applications, like aerial booms or snow plows.

The suspension at the rear of the heavy-duty chassis on these Ram trucks consists of traditional leaf springs designed for the various weights the trucks are capable of. The heavier the truck's capabilities, the larger these springs become, accommodating up to the maximum tow/haul of 35,220 pounds and 43,000 pounds of gross vehicle combined weight.

Steering on the Ram HD chassis is based on a recirculating-ball steering gear and robust linkages. Large-diameter drag and cross-vehicle links (29 mm and 51 mm respectively) hold steering characteristics no matter the load on the front end. This limits the amount of effort required while maintaining load capability. Wheel alignment is dimensionally-controlled through steering knuckle caster and camber settings.

Finally, to stop all the expected weight, the brakes were reconsidered for better capability. Disc brakes with hydro boosting are standard on all 3500-class and higher Ram trucks. This system offers better stopping distances and over-matches the highest capability of the given truck. Front rotors are 14.17 inches (360 mm) on the 3500 and use dual-piston calipers. The rear rotors are 14.09 inches (358 mm) with similar calipers. The 4500 and 5500 models have 15.35-inch (390 mm) front and rear rotors with similar dual-piston calipers.

Outside of the chassis, the new ram HD trucks have some powertrain upgrades. The base engine is a 6.4-liter Hemi V8 gasoline engine with an eight-speed automatic transmission as standard. This engine is not new to the Ram lineup and delivers 410 horsepower (306 kW) and 429 pound-feet (582 Nm) of torque in the 3500 model. The same engine is tuned to output 370 hp (276 kW) and the same 429 pound-feet on the 4500 and 5500 models.

A newly-updated Cummins 6.7-liter turbodiesel engine is optional in the Ram HD chassis trucks. This engine runs to an Aisin six-speed automatic transmission with optional PTO, tuned to handle the Cummins engine's 360 horsepower (268 kW) and massive 800 pound-feet (1,085 Nm) of maximum torque. The new engine has a cylinder block made of compacted graphite iron for better strength and vibration dampening, reducing the engine's weight by about 60 pounds. A cast-iron cylinder head has revised exhaust valves and springs and new rocker arms driven by a hollow crankshaft. New oil and water pumps finish the upgrades for better efficiency and further weight savings.

Also new on Ram HD chassis work truck models are advanced safety and driver aid technologies such as adaptive cruise control, forward crash mitigation (with automatic braking, including automatic trailer braking), and others.

There's a lot going on with a work truck's chassis design and the new Ram heavy duty chassis trucks are a good reminder that numbers can matter.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
There are a lot of issues with trucks today, but lets face the facts of smog being the biggest issue creating the problems. A cummins that has been deleted will run and run and run. So will the 6.7 and 6.6 from Ford and Chevy.

The 7.3 from Ford is great, but I think you will see the 5-6MPG's once you hook up some weight.

I personally like diesel and am willing to suffer the increased costs of maintenance. It just personal choice.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Ram Sales Gain Aided by Paying Dealers Up to $7,500 Per Truck
March 1, 2019, 1:12 PM MST
1000x-1.jpg

2019 Ram 1500 Limited pickup truck Photographer: Daniel Acker/Bloomberg
Ram just recorded another big month of U.S. sales, in part by paying dealers as much as $7,500 to get them to do the buying.

The company ran a promotion in the last days of the month on a range of 2019 Ram 1500 pickup models to entice dealers to purchase the trucks for their service-loaner fleets, according to an emailed memo. Fiat Chrysler offered as much as $3,000 cash payments to get dealers to put the trucks into service fleets, and up to $7,500 for when they are moved to dealers’ used-vehicle lots.
Dealers loan service vehicles to customers whose cars are being repaired. Paying dealers big, late-month incentives do more buying than they might otherwise is a tactic that helped BMW AG outsell rival Mercedes in the U.S. luxury market in 2016. Some dealers criticize the programs for artificially inflating sales and undermining their ability to hit future targets the manufacturers set.

Fiat Chrysler is taking a two-pronged approach to gain share in the ultra-competitive pickup market. Its award-winning redesigned Ram 1500 has been a hit with big-spending customers, but it’s also extending production of its older “Ram Classic” pickups through 2019 to go after more budget-conscious buyers.

Ram’s pickups have been closing the gap with General Motors Co.’s Chevrolet Silverado, the longtime No. 2 in the full-size truck segment, and even outsold that model line in the last three months of 2018.

“We’re going to keep our pickup trucks competitive in the marketplace, whether that’s through advertising, marketing, incentives, whatever,” Reid Bigland, Fiat Chrysler’s U.S. sales chief, said in an interview in January.

A Fiat Chrysler spokesman said the company doesn’t comment on dealer incentive programs.

Stronger Sales
Ram pickup sales jumped 20 percent to 39,950 units in February, while overall deliveries for the brand were up 24 percent. GM no longer reports monthly figures to the public and will release quarterly results early next month.

Fiat Chrysler is offering big discounts on its older Ram Classic models. Incentives were about 21.5 percent of average transaction prices in February, compared with 16.1 percent for older model Chevrolet Silverados and 14.3 percent for Ford Motor Co.’s F-150, according to J.D. Power dealer data.

Incentive spending by both Fiat Chrysler and GM probably will decline this year because the companies have introduced redesigned models, said Eric Lyman, chief industry analyst at TrueCar Inc.’s ALG unit. Ford, whose F-Series line dominates the segment, likely will increase promotions because its models are older.

Fiat Chrysler and GM incentives aren’t that far apart, according to Lyman. The forecast for their residual values in the next 36 months are among the strongest in the pickup segment, he said.

“While we’re seeing Ram and Silverado come down in their spend with that sort of long view, we’re also seeing Ford go up,” Lyman said. “They’re starting to converge, and I think that makes sense, because you have the influence of those new models coming into the market.”

WhatExit?

Reaction score
With their newly-designed plastics and reformed trims, the aero efficiency has increased 8-percent over the existing RAM. Also, the fine-tuned aerodynamics creates a smoother transition through the air. That smooth ride gliding through the air mixed with the acoustic glass, and windshield in the first row makes for -10-decibel drop. According to the company, it makes the RAM trucks the quietest truck in the heavy-duty market.

The new 1,000-lb/ft of torque Cummins 6.7-liter diesel engine is an $11,795 option for the 3500 model trucks only. The standard Cummins diesel is a $9,100 option.

Diesel Engine Icon: 6.7-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel Delivering 1,000 ft/lbs of Torque

Firstly, the engine doesn’t physically look much different than other under the hood. But this engine is so much more than we’re used to. Not only does it offer higher horsepower and torque ratings, after some serious revisions, but this engine also weighs 60-pounds lighter. Same 6.7-liter displacement but now pushing out 400-horsepower and 1,000-ft/lbs of torque.

Major upgrades to these engines in 2019 including revised cylinder heads that feature new exhaust valves and springs, new rocker arms, forged connecting rods and bearings, lighter and stronger pistons with low-friction rings, and a reworked variable geometry turbo. Granted the engine was stout to begin with, but those are the changes that have been made to create that four-digit torque number.

Among these upgrades to the engine, one stands out from the rest. These new 6.7 engines are constructed with Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) blocks. The current 6.7 engines and the previous 5.9’s utilize the cast iron block which is known to hold up well. But, there are many benefits to moving on to a CGI block, especially when it comes to performance. In fact, ever NASCAR engine block is cast in CGI.

First of all, CGI is 75-percent stronger than traditional cast iron as well as 45-percent stiffer and has double the fatigue strength. These great characteristics are important to an engine that generates high boost pressure and extreme heat every single day. It will be interesting to observe how the CGI blocks perform long-term versus their cast iron predecessors.

First Drive To Eldorado Canyon Mine
So after our initial rundown from the RAM execs, it was time to get behind the wheel. We were told to walk outside and pick out a truck with which we would commute to our next location: the Eldorado Canyon Mines. Eldorado is based at the historical Techatticup Mine just outside of Las Vegas and is the oldest, richest, and most famous gold mine in Southern Nevada.

In my quick walkaround, I spotted that the tailgate and tail lamps are different. Their new design offers a more sleek, modern look and the tailgate can now be operated from the interior of the truck – which is great for those who are backing up to a gooseneck trailer. But then how do you see the ball? Did I mention there are 360-degree cameras on this truck? If you find something this truck doesn’t do, please let us know.

The grill and headlights have also been upgraded. They’ve gone from the traditional clear halogens to the completely upgraded LED lamps. These lights are the troops that work alongside the new grille that has been introduced to make sure oncoming traffic knows that a RAM is headed their way. No doubt that RAM has stepped up their game on the exterior side of things this year.

When I get the opportunity to take a truck this nice out with a backdrop like that, I will never pass that opportunity. We pulled off a camping zone and set it up and wow did this truck look great out there.

Mixing the outstanding drivability with the high-quality interior and you might feel like you’re in a luxury car. You have to remind yourself that you’re in an absolute workhorse of a truck. Hitting the freeways on the outskirts of Las Vegas, you can imagine what the traffic was like. But once that 1,000-lb/ft of torque and 400-horsepower kicks in, it was only a matter of a few seconds before we were snaking around slower traffic. Nelson and I discussed our thoughts during our hour cruise out to the testing location and we were both impressed with the new RAM right off the hit.

Arrival And Testing

Upon arrival, the RAM Group had trucks already lined up and loaded for testing. In front, there was a big four-door dually pulling a Case backhoe loaded on a trailer. Second in line was a massive camper connected to a new long wheelbase, single rear wheel RAM. Lastly, but certainly not least, was the regular cab dually with the largest load capacity of them all at 35,100 pounds. On this 35-foot trailer there was an even larger Case backhoe positioned just over the axles and loaded closer to the tongue was a monster pallet of pavers.

As a matter of fact, since that didn’t weigh enough to reach the advertised capacity, RAM staff loaded the bed down with sand bags to make sure it was accurate. Out of the available trucks, we drove the 35,100-pound load and the four-wheel-drive dually with the smaller backhoe on the trailer.

The normal route of modifying the engine and its ancillaries to improve power and performance just didn’t seem necessary when towing this trailer. All the power we needed was there. The 1,000-lb/ft of torque kicks in just in time and holds that power all throughout the driving experience. In our testing, we wanted to see how the truck shifted as well as how it handled the temperatures of this extreme situation. As we’re out in the hills of Eldorado Canyon Mines why not push this thing up the 7-percent grade?

At a completely dead stop aiming upwards, it was pedal to the metal. The transmission shifted smooth as butter, locked into gear as requested, accelerating the truck fast enough that we need to start slowing down to crest the hill, and with all that the temperature gauges never moved. Our transmission temperature maintained 165-degrees, while the coolant temperature was steady at 201-degrees; the truck didn’t even smell warm.

Now, you may say, yeah, but you’re the only one who did that. No. There were groups driving all day doing the same thing so this truck has taken a beating and it didn’t seem to care what was thrown at it. I use a modified 2011 6.7-liter RAM to tow our race truck and the 2019 is comparable to its drivability right out of the box – no modifications needed. Great down-low performance all the way to accelerating past traffic at highway speeds.

Ram 2500 Heavy Duty

A new 2019 barebones Heavy Duty RAM pickup will start out at an MSRP of $33,395. That is for a two-wheel-drive, regular cab tradesman with a long-wheelbase powered by the 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 engine backed by an 8-speed automatic transmission.

Also with the 6.4-liter HEMI V8 engine, the top of the line RAM 2500 line is the four-wheel-drive Limited short-bed pickup truck. If luxury is your cup of tea, it’s going to cost you $65,700. Between all of the trim levels, the prices are listed below. NOTE: Delivery is $1,695. Upgrade from a Crew Cab to a Mega Cab is $1,500 and going to a 4×4 configuration – add $2,900.

• TRADESMAN Reg Cab 4×2 with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $33,395
  • BIG HORN Reg Cab 4×2 with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $37,645
  • LARAMIE Crew Cab 4×2 with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $49,100
  • POWER WAGON Crew Cab with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $52,900
  • LONGHORN Crew Cab with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $56,300
  • LIMITED Crew Cab with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $61,300
Ram 3500 HD

If you’re here, this is what you’re wanting to know. In the 3500 models, a two-wheel-drive regular cab in Tradesman trim starts out at $34,845 and tops the charts at $67,050. If you’re looking to build yourself a new Ram, with a high-output Cummins engine, and all the bells and whistles, you’re looking at an ending price around $75,000.

The Limited options come equipped with a 12-inch Uconnect 4C touchscreen head unit. Talk about upgrading from the traditional den units we’re all used to, these are the future.

• TRADESMAN Reg Cab 4×2 with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $34,845
  • BIG HORN Reg Cab 4×2 with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $39,095
  • LARAMIE Crew Cab 4×2 with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $50,450
  • LONGHORN Crew Cab 4×2 with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $57,650
  • LIMITED Crew Cab 4×2 with HEMI 6.4L V8 – $62,650
The two optional engine choices for both the 2500 and the 3500 are the standard 6.7-liter Cummins and the High-Output 6.7-liter Cummins. These are the engines that allow the RAM Heavy-Duty truck to be the first to break that 1,000-lb/ft of torque wall that every manufacturer has been chasing after. With all of that torque comes it’s capabilities including the 35,100-pounds of tow and 7,680-pound payload capacity.

• The standard 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel engine will cost an additional $9,100. It is available on both RAM 2500 and RAM 3500 models.
  • The “High Output” 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel mated to a high-performance Aisin 6-speed automatic transmission – producing 1,000 lb.-ft. of torque – will add $11,795 to the price. It is only available on the RAM 3500.
Overall Impressions

After driving all the generations of the RAM trucks, that’s 89-93, 94-02, 03-07, 08-10, and the 2011 and up trucks, these 2019 models have solidly placed themselves in our hearts.

Exterior- Some of you are year loyal and would rather have the older rugged look of the first generation RAM trucks, but the 2019 RAM has to get you excited. The changes that the exterior team have made like the tailgate, the rear lighting, and the new grille and headlight combo is groundbreaking. Working alongside the engineering team to not only create a beefy, yet professional, image, these changes work hand-in-hand in making the truck perform better aerodynamically.

Powertrain- Between the updated legendary Cummins engine, the new Aisin transmission, and the improvements made to the chassis, these trucks are the future of heavy-duty trucking. The fact that you can have over 35,000-pounds behind you and climb almost any terrain while maintaining proper temperatures with flawless shifting says something about the RAM brand. Some may not want to accept the new Aisin transmission, but until you try it, don’t knock it. After driving other trucks, this combination is the gun in a knife fight.

So, to sum up, the trucks from the Tradesman all the way to the Limited, RAM has it going on. With these trucks getting better and better every year, at what point will it stop? How many options can they come up? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! To build and price your own RAM heavy-duty, be sure and check out their website. Stay tuned to Diesel Army for more news from the industry.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Take It Higher: Installing MaxTrac’s Forged Aluminum Lift Kit

MARCH 01, 2019

Lifting a truck – we know what to expect, right? Lift blocks, new shocks, gloss or flat black, wheels, tires, the works. If you’ve seen a kit from one company, chances are you’ve seen them from 50 others. But what MaxTrac is doing to the lift kit is sure to turn the scene on its head.

Having seen the kit at trade shows, we know that MaxTrac’s forged aluminum radius arm lift kit represents a sleek twist on the familiar lift kit game. Making the undercarriage stand out without having to resort to powder coating, the polished appearance cleverly brings the eyes down, where MaxTrac’s kit does the work – its coil springs raise the front end, while hefty lift blocks bolster the rear, and longer Fox Performance Series shocks keep the ride comfort (and off-roading ability) intact.

A bone-stock F-250 is pretty cool, but it’s nothing compared to when it’s lifted and looking fresh.

We got the chance to see one of these kits go onto a 2018 F-250 crew cab over at MaxTrac’s headquarters in Anaheim, California. We also made sure the crew got the right wheels to go with the build – a set of Mayhem Warrior 20-inch units, ready for battle. MaxTrac supplied its own set of tires, those being Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws. With all of the pieces ready, we made our way up and got to work.

A Closer Look

It’s clear from just looking at the kit that MaxTrac wanted to make something that stood out. We spoke with MaxTrac’s Adam Montiel to find out a bit more, however. “We wanted to create a unique yet practical kit,” he said.

Forged aluminum is the eye-catching material used to create the radius arms, and possesses the necessary strength to deal with the ups and downs of driving a diesel truck. “Forged aluminum is ideal for performance and safety,” said Adam. “It’s also very light compared to factory or steel replacement arms.”

The forged aluminum arms on the MaxTrac kit not only look great, but they also have adjustability for caster, which the installer can modify without having to disassemble everything off of the truck.

Beyond simply giving customers a kit that looked one-off and stayed tough, MaxTrac wanted to make a kit that offered practical solutions to common problems with lift kits. “We did something different when it came to the radius arms,” said Adam. “We designed ours so that they can be adjusted while on the vehicle. You’ll find on other kits that to make adjustments after the installation, it becomes a hassle, since you have to take multiple measurements and uninstall and reinstall the kit. On ours, we use rebuildable rod ends that are threaded into a chromoly sleeve and have an adjustment collar. So you can make adjustments to caster whenever you have to.”

The kit is available for American diesel makes including Ford and Ram. The kits come in multiple versions, being packaged in lift kits from four to eight inches in height, but they can also be installed into non-lifted applications.

To round out our lift kit install, we went with 20-inch Mayhem wheels and Falken 37-inch A/T3W all-terrains.

Installation

MaxTrac took care of sourcing the truck, tires, and lift kit to help the build succeed; we helped with arranging wheels. With that out of the way and with everything laid out on the shop floor, we were ready to begin.

We began by getting the truck up on a lift. We went after the front wheels, brake lines, shocks, springs, sway bar, and Panhard bar. Before long, we had our hands on the stock radius arms. They were removed without much hassle.

Disassembling the truck to prepare for the new kit.

Something we had to take care of at this point was measuring the length of the radius arms. This was necessary because it would dictate the length of the MaxTrac aluminum arms. For this particular F-250, we got an eye-to-eye measurement of 32 inches. Using the unique, adjustable rod end on the aluminum arm, we set the correct length and installed it onto the truck.

The design of the MaxTrac arms calls for one quite different from OEM. Ford’s design is a one-piece steel unit, and bolts up in a simple arrangement – one bolt goes in the rear, the forking front is held in with two bolts. MaxTrac’s replacement comes across much sturdier, using multiple bolts in the rear and making use of a mounting point a short distance away to increase the strength.

Top: By applying the measurement of the stock radius arm to the MaxTrac radius arm, we adjusted the new arms' lengths to 32 inches. Bottom: Seeing the difference in the stock versus MaxTrac radius arms was a revelation!

Now that the stars of the show were installed, we moved on to the supporting cast – drop brackets. We began by popping out the drag link from the pitman arm. We then spent about 30-45 minutes attacking the pitman arm with everything we had; it finally gave up and clanged to the ground.

In went the drop brackets for the Panhard rod and sway bar, as well as the bump stops. We drooped the axle as much as we could to stuff the new springs into their perches (as well as the new Fox shocks), and after we tightened everything up, we were done with the hard part of the job. Out back, all we had to do was remove the old shocks and install the new ones, as well as undo the stock blocks and U-bolts and replace them with the new, taller MaxTrac units.

In the rear, a simple swap of shocks and lift blocks wrapped up the install.

The wheels and tires were sent to a local shop to get mounted and balanced, and they looked awesome once they were on the Super Duty. Going for the 37s was definitely a good choice, and made the truck stand out all the more combined with the new lift kit.

Nearing the finish line… and it looks so good.

Taking It Out For A Spin

Wrapped up and rolling out is how we all want to be, and we were finally at that point. We set off from MaxTrac HQ and stopped at a local spot to get some pictures of the Super Duty sitting still. Comparing it against the old truck we saw just a few hours earlier, they might as well have been from two different continents.

You can see for yourself just what a difference the lift kit, wheels, and tires made. Gone was the safe, hokey pickup everyone knew from visiting a Ford dealership. In its place was a meaner, taller truck – a truck in every sense of the word.

It's like visiting the eye doctor – "Better 1, or 2?" The answer in this case is "2"!!

But looks can only go so far; when it comes to lifting a truck, ride comfort is an issue that comes to mind. Thankfully, the Super Duty suffered no sacrifices to its ride comfort despite going up six inches in height. Our careful measurements during the install also mitigated issues of alignment later on, and we experienced a calm, death-wobble-free drive from the shop to Wrightwood, a nearby town that had just gotten its first good blanket of snow in winter.

The drive up was pleasant, and got exciting once we started seeing the white powder everywhere. We had plans on taking a highway journey through snowy landscapes on the CA-2, but it was locked shut when we got there, so we had to settle for simply driving around Mount San Antonio instead. Families were out with kids and dogs playing around, building snowmen and sledding down hillsides; it was a reminder of the glory days of youth.

Equipped with Toyo tires and Mayhem wheels, we made quick work of whatever snow we came across.

We made our way through Wrightwood checking out the sights, and the whole time, the truck was running fine. It was great to see more than we would have at stock ride height, and there was a lot to take in, from clouds floating lazily overhead to snow-covered pine trees shedding icicles as the sun’s meager heat shone down.

It was a fun time exploring the frozen town of Wrightwood and being able to play in the snow for a bit; definitely not something we’re used to here in Southern California! We encourage you to check out more from MaxTrac on its website and Facebook page. And don’t forget to visit Mayhem Wheels’ website and Falken’s website.

pronstar

Reaction score
Lift blocks and 2-in shocks aren’t as “rough and ready” as that article seems to imply.

Good enough for a mall cruiser, but you’ll smoke those shocks pretty quick on something as benign as a high speed fire road.

Ask me how I know [emoji23]

These heavy trucks create a ton of energy that has to go somewhere.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Lift blocks and 2-in shocks aren’t as “rough and ready” as that article seems to imply.

Good enough for a mall cruiser, but you’ll smoke those shocks pretty quick on something as benign as a high speed fire road.

Ask me how I know [emoji23]

These heavy trucks create a ton of energy that has to go somewhere.

Under daily driving/occasional mild off road use when should King's be rebuilt? Assuming they are not leaking.

Hullbilly

Reaction score

MARCH 01, 2019

Lifting a truck – we know what to expect, right? Lift blocks, new shocks, gloss or flat black, wheels, tires, the works. If you’ve seen a kit from one company, chances are you’ve seen them from 50 others. But what MaxTrac is doing to the lift kit is sure to turn the scene on its head.

Having seen the kit at trade shows, we know that MaxTrac’s forged aluminum radius arm lift kit represents a sleek twist on the familiar lift kit game. Making the undercarriage stand out without having to resort to powder coating, the polished appearance cleverly brings the eyes down, where MaxTrac’s kit does the work – its coil springs raise the front end, while hefty lift blocks bolster the rear, and longer Fox Performance Series shocks keep the ride comfort (and off-roading ability) intact.

A bone-stock F-250 is pretty cool, but it’s nothing compared to when it’s lifted and looking fresh.

We got the chance to see one of these kits go onto a 2018 F-250 crew cab over at MaxTrac’s headquarters in Anaheim, California. We also made sure the crew got the right wheels to go with the build – a set of Mayhem Warrior 20-inch units, ready for battle. MaxTrac supplied its own set of tires, those being Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws. With all of the pieces ready, we made our way up and got to work.

A Closer Look

It’s clear from just looking at the kit that MaxTrac wanted to make something that stood out. We spoke with MaxTrac’s Adam Montiel to find out a bit more, however. “We wanted to create a unique yet practical kit,” he said.

Forged aluminum is the eye-catching material used to create the radius arms, and possesses the necessary strength to deal with the ups and downs of driving a diesel truck. “Forged aluminum is ideal for performance and safety,” said Adam. “It’s also very light compared to factory or steel replacement arms.”

The forged aluminum arms on the MaxTrac kit not only look great, but they also have adjustability for caster, which the installer can modify without having to disassemble everything off of the truck.

Beyond simply giving customers a kit that looked one-off and stayed tough, MaxTrac wanted to make a kit that offered practical solutions to common problems with lift kits. “We did something different when it came to the radius arms,” said Adam. “We designed ours so that they can be adjusted while on the vehicle. You’ll find on other kits that to make adjustments after the installation, it becomes a hassle, since you have to take multiple measurements and uninstall and reinstall the kit. On ours, we use rebuildable rod ends that are threaded into a chromoly sleeve and have an adjustment collar. So you can make adjustments to caster whenever you have to.”

The kit is available for American diesel makes including Ford and Ram. The kits come in multiple versions, being packaged in lift kits from four to eight inches in height, but they can also be installed into non-lifted applications.

To round out our lift kit install, we went with 20-inch Mayhem wheels and Falken 37-inch A/T3W all-terrains.

Installation

MaxTrac took care of sourcing the truck, tires, and lift kit to help the build succeed; we helped with arranging wheels. With that out of the way and with everything laid out on the shop floor, we were ready to begin.

We began by getting the truck up on a lift. We went after the front wheels, brake lines, shocks, springs, sway bar, and Panhard bar. Before long, we had our hands on the stock radius arms. They were removed without much hassle.

Something we had to take care of at this point was measuring the length of the radius arms. This was necessary because it would dictate the length of the MaxTrac aluminum arms. For this particular F-250, we got an eye-to-eye measurement of 32 inches. Using the unique, adjustable rod end on the aluminum arm, we set the correct length and installed it onto the truck.

The design of the MaxTrac arms calls for one quite different from OEM. Ford’s design is a one-piece steel unit, and bolts up in a simple arrangement – one bolt goes in the rear, the forking front is held in with two bolts. MaxTrac’s replacement comes across much sturdier, using multiple bolts in the rear and making use of a mounting point a short distance away to increase the strength.

Top: By applying the measurement of the stock radius arm to the MaxTrac radius arm, we adjusted the new arms' lengths to 32 inches. Bottom: Seeing the difference in the stock versus MaxTrac radius arms was a revelation!

Now that the stars of the show were installed, we moved on to the supporting cast – drop brackets. We began by popping out the drag link from the pitman arm. We then spent about 30-45 minutes attacking the pitman arm with everything we had; it finally gave up and clanged to the ground.

In went the drop brackets for the Panhard rod and sway bar, as well as the bump stops. We drooped the axle as much as we could to stuff the new springs into their perches (as well as the new Fox shocks), and after we tightened everything up, we were done with the hard part of the job. Out back, all we had to do was remove the old shocks and install the new ones, as well as undo the stock blocks and U-bolts and replace them with the new, taller MaxTrac units.

The wheels and tires were sent to a local shop to get mounted and balanced, and they looked awesome once they were on the Super Duty. Going for the 37s was definitely a good choice, and made the truck stand out all the more combined with the new lift kit.

Taking It Out For A Spin

Wrapped up and rolling out is how we all want to be, and we were finally at that point. We set off from MaxTrac HQ and stopped at a local spot to get some pictures of the Super Duty sitting still. Comparing it against the old truck we saw just a few hours earlier, they might as well have been from two different continents.

You can see for yourself just what a difference the lift kit, wheels, and tires made. Gone was the safe, hokey pickup everyone knew from visiting a Ford dealership. In its place was a meaner, taller truck – a truck in every sense of the word.

It's like visiting the eye doctor – "Better 1, or 2?" The answer in this case is "2"!!

But looks can only go so far; when it comes to lifting a truck, ride comfort is an issue that comes to mind. Thankfully, the Super Duty suffered no sacrifices to its ride comfort despite going up six inches in height. Our careful measurements during the install also mitigated issues of alignment later on, and we experienced a calm, death-wobble-free drive from the shop to Wrightwood, a nearby town that had just gotten its first good blanket of snow in winter.

The drive up was pleasant, and got exciting once we started seeing the white powder everywhere. We had plans on taking a highway journey through snowy landscapes on the CA-2, but it was locked shut when we got there, so we had to settle for simply driving around Mount San Antonio instead. Families were out with kids and dogs playing around, building snowmen and sledding down hillsides; it was a reminder of the glory days of youth.

Equipped with Toyo tires and Mayhem wheels, we made quick work of whatever snow we came across.

We made our way through Wrightwood checking out the sights, and the whole time, the truck was running fine. It was great to see more than we would have at stock ride height, and there was a lot to take in, from clouds floating lazily overhead to snow-covered pine trees shedding icicles as the sun’s meager heat shone down.

It was a fun time exploring the frozen town of Wrightwood and being able to play in the snow for a bit; definitely not something we’re used to here in Southern California! We encourage you to check out more from MaxTrac on its website and Facebook page. And don’t forget to visit Mayhem Wheels’ website and Falken’s website.

That truck must have a pallet of concrete in the bed, it’s already sitting low and there’s no trailer hooked up....

Cdog

Reaction score

MARCH 01, 2019

A Closer Look

Installation

Taking It Out For A Spin

Looks awesome though. I don’t need a score truck. Just a tow truck that won’t break. And look good.

pronstar

Reaction score
Under daily driving/occasional mild off road use when should King's be rebuilt? Assuming they are not leaking.

I wouldn’t think about them until 30k-ish miles or three-ish years. And they likely go longer than that, so if performance hasn’t degraded then they’re GTG.

There’s so many variables - how they’re used, mileage, environmental factors - that it’s hard to say exactly.

pronstar

Reaction score
Looks awesome though. I don’t need a score truck. Just a tow truck that won’t break. And look good.

Here’s the thing that’s really significant (to me) for a 3/4-ton or larger truck:

Good springs/shocks will make the everyday ride on the highway a LOT better. So they aren’t just for off-roading.

Lifts that ride like shit make no sense to me...why increase wheel travel if you ain’t gonna use it?

Off-road trucks should ride like marshmallows on-road. That can be good or bad LOL but that’s what airbags are for.

If you’re willing to drop the coin, you won’t have to live with a punishing ride.

I laugh when people insist “real trucks ride like shit”

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Here’s the thing that’s really significant (to me) for a 3/4-ton or larger truck:

Good springs/shocks will make the everyday ride on the highway a LOT better. So they aren’t just for off-roading.

Off-road trucks should ride like marshmallows on-road. That can be good or bad LOL but that’s what airbags are for.

If you’re willing to drop the coin, you won’t have to live with a punishing ride.

My Raptor is a sweet ride on and off road!

pronstar

Reaction score
My Raptor is a sweet ride on and off road!

I hope so!
There’s really no excuse for a half-ton truck to ever ride like shit LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Here Are The First Pictures Of GM’s 3.0L Duramax Diesel Engine: Exclusive
— MAR 2, 2019

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 8.37.22 AM.png

We still don’t have any official performance figures about the upcoming GM 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel engine, RPO code LM2, though leaks from late last year have pegged the new inline-six motor at 250 horsepower and 440 pound-feet of torque in the 2019 Silverado 1500 and 2019 Sierra 1500. Besides a confirmation that the engine is not delayed despite several rumors, that’s the last we’ve heard about the new diesel mill… until now.

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 8.39.45 AM.png

The first in-the-wild sighting of the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the Duramax Diesel engine in June 2018

Thanks to an eagle-eyed GM Authority reader who, for the time being, shall remain anonymous – we have been able to uncover new pictures of the new 3.0L Duramax. The photos represent the very first images of the new engine… but it gets better.http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-cont...-President-GM-South-America-February-2019.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 8.37.42 AM.png

The images in question are from official GM documents and are actually vectors, meaning that they contain a significant level of detail. This allows us to zoom in on the front and rear isometric views and see so many more details.

Grab the vectors at your own leisure by clicking here. Note that the file is a PDF document about 40 MB in size. You can zoom in and out on the engine pictures in that document as if it were any PDF document.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 8.37.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 8.37.42 AM.png
    455.9 KB · Views: 295

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Only Three Pickups Have Good Passenger-Side Protection: IIHS

Ever since the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety began subjecting vehicles to its passenger-side small overlap crash test in 2017, it’s been a hard one to pass. Pickup trucks are no exception.

On Thursday the IIHS reported that, after testing 11 crew cab pickups, only three managed to nail a Good rating. They are the Ford F-150 and the Nissan Titan, which join the Ram 1500 (models built after last July), which earned the rating in late 2018.

In particular, the IIHS praised the F-150 for its structure that held up well. Maximum intrusion into the cabin was five inches “at the rightmost section of the toepan,” and the seat belts and airbags “worked well together to control the movement of the passenger and driver dummies.” Neither of the two dummies were recorded to have potential injuries.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Hellcat-Powered 2021 Ram Rebel TRX Spied Testing
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 9.01.56 PM.png

First came Ford with their Raptor back in 2010. Then, Chevrolet threw down with the Colorado ZR2, a very different take on the performance off-road pickup truck concept. Now comes Dodge, a little late to the party, but with a truck that many Mopar fans would likely tell us is the best of the three.

Chrysler Corporation is no stranger to high-performance pickup trucks. Back in 2004, they released the Ram SRT-10, powered by the Dodge Viper's V10 engine. It stayed in production for just three short years – leaving for good in 2006 – but certainly made an impression on sport truck fans.
After a long sabbatical, it looks like the world is ready for another performance Ram – we know we are, at least. Current sensibilities seem to favor off-road inspired, prerunner-style trucks for that purpose and that's just what it appears the engineers at Chrysler Corp. are cooking up.

The upcoming Ram Rebel TRX, shown here in spy shots, has the Hellcat-sourced horsepower to back up its aggressive off-road looks. From our sources, while the Ram Rebel TR will get roughly 520 horsepower and 525 lb/ft of torque from an new V8, the Ram Rebel TRX will get the same 707 horsepower that the Hellcat gets, detuning be damned.

7 Photos

Previous spy shots have pointed to a beefed-up frame, likely designed to take a beating off road as well as handle the tremendous power. We expect a similarly beefed-up suspension and braking setup. There are what look like some haphazardly-attached plastic covers visible in the rear wheel wells, possibly covering up something really interesting going on with the suspension. In fact, we'd count on it.

The current Ram is a great truck inside and out. With 707 horsepower, we expect it to be a stump jumpin', mud boggin' good time.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Are you ready for a $100,000 pickup truck?

Rumor: The Ford F-150 Raptor Is Getting the Mustang GT500's Supercharged V-8

Sources within Ford say that this 700-plus-hp super-Raptor will be a sendoff for the current-gen pickup.

MAR 22, 2019
2018-ford-f-150-raptor-supercab-106-1541189411.jpg

• A special version of Ford's F-150 Raptor pickup is coming with the Mustang GT500's supercharged 5.2-liter V-8 engine.
  • This powertrain would give this already impressive off-road performance truck upward of 700 horsepower—not to mention a more thrilling soundtrack than its current 450-hp twin-turbo 3.5-liter V-6.
  • Expect the V-8–powered Raptor to arrive sometime in 2020 or 2021, near the end of the current F-150's production run.
Ford is looking to bring back V-8 power for a special version of the F-150 Raptor. Multiple sources within Ford are telling us that the company is building a Raptor with the Mustang GT500's 5.2-liter supercharged V-8. This super-Raptor will serve as a sendoff for the current-generation F-150, scheduled to be replaced in 2021 or 2022.

At this point, we only know that the supercharged 5.2-liter V-8 is slated to make more than 700 horsepower in its Mustang Shelby GT500 application, so it's safe to assume that the V-8 will provide a similar amount of power in the Raptor pickup. Ford and GM's 10-speed automatic transmission seems like it would be plenty stout to hold up to this engine, given that it's used in the 650-hp Camaro ZL1, while Ford could easily source a sturdy enough live rear axle from component supplier Dana.

This would give Ford a strong response to Ram's planned TRX pickup, which is all but confirmed to use FCA's supercharged Hellcat V-8 that makes upward of 700 horsepower. Ram is likely to get the jump on Ford in terms of timing, as the TRX is slated for a debut sometime in 2020.

The Ford should arrive late in 2020 at the earliest, as we hear that this V-8–powered version of the Raptor will have a short production run spanning either one or two of the last model years for the current-generation F-150 that debuted for 2015. Given the current Raptor's base price of $54,450, we might expect this V-8 version to command somewhere north of $70,000.

pronstar

Reaction score
Trophy-truck power in a consumer-grade off-roader.

That’s gonna find the weak link in the chassis REAL fast.