WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pickup Trucks

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Has Elon Musk just suggested that a Tesla pickup truck will outhaul one of the mighty Ram trucks? That sure seems to be what he's implying in a recent tweet.

First, his words: 12,000 lbs!? How puny. Do you construct children’s toys?

Of course, we need some context here to explain what Musk is referring to, so here's the tweet embedded in full:

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 7.47.40 AM.png

It's not a secret that Tesla is working on an electric pickup truck. In fact, it's scheduled to be revealed sometime later this year. As for its towing/hauling abilities, both are still up in the air. However, we do know that the expectations are high...very high.

The truck will be a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive pickup with "crazy torque & a suspension that dynamically adjusts for load. Those will be standard," noted Musk in a previous tweet. We suspect that whatever a Ram 1500 or Ford F-150 can do, Tesla will one-up those figures.

We'll find out the actual info in detail later this year when Tesla reveals its much-anticipated electric truck.

tesla-pickup-heavy-duty-e1550234900506.jpg

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Ford Super Duty Tremor Was Initially Called ‘FX4 Max’

Using the Raptor moniker wouldn't have worked either

The Ford Super Duty Tremor is the Blue Oval's rugged, new package for the big truck that makes it more capable off-road. The truck market almost got the model by a different name, though. Ford Authority learned that the company originally intended to call the variant FX4 Max. Execs refused to say why they changed their minds, but Tremor was a much better, more evocative choice in our opinion.

Ford decided not to call the new Superduty variant Raptor because he moniker didn't match the latest truck's abilities. Sources told Muscle Cars and Trucks that the company engineered the Tremor to excel at low-speed off-roading, like rock crawling. Conversely, the team has always developed the Raptor for high-speed capability on rugged terrain. The crew didn't think it made sense to give them both the same name.

The Tremor Is An Earth-Shaking Pickup

The Tremor takes the Super Duty and lifts ride height by 2 inches (5.08 centimeters), which brings total ground clearance to 10.8 inches (27.4 centimeters) and the max water fording depth to 33 inches (83.82 centimeters). There are 35-inch tires over 18-inch matte black wheels. For better traction, the truck uses a Dana limited-slip differential at the front and a locking differential at the rear. A new rock crawl setting joins the array of driving modes. The body also gains deployable running boards that tuck into the body when not needed and additional skid plates.

The Tremor package is available on the XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum trim levels. Buyers can select either the 7.3-liter V8 gasoline engine or 6.7-liter PowerStroke diesel V8. The only gearbox option is a 10-speed automatic. The Blue Oval isn't yet offering pricing details for the new option.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So the ragazines are finally telling the truth?? Oh my!

GM must not have paid as much out in advertising this year? Sponsors rule!

:p

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Ford Super Duty Tremor Was Initially Called ‘FX4 Max’

Using the Raptor moniker wouldn't have worked either

The Ford Super Duty Tremor is the Blue Oval's rugged, new package for the big truck that makes it more capable off-road. The truck market almost got the model by a different name, though. Ford Authority learned that the company originally intended to call the variant FX4 Max. Execs refused to say why they changed their minds, but Tremor was a much better, more evocative choice in our opinion.

Ford decided not to call the new Superduty variant Raptor because he moniker didn't match the latest truck's abilities. Sources told Muscle Cars and Trucks that the company engineered the Tremor to excel at low-speed off-roading, like rock crawling. Conversely, the team has always developed the Raptor for high-speed capability on rugged terrain. The crew didn't think it made sense to give them both the same name.

The Tremor Is An Earth-Shaking Pickup

The Tremor takes the Super Duty and lifts ride height by 2 inches (5.08 centimeters), which brings total ground clearance to 10.8 inches (27.4 centimeters) and the max water fording depth to 33 inches (83.82 centimeters). There are 35-inch tires over 18-inch matte black wheels. For better traction, the truck uses a Dana limited-slip differential at the front and a locking differential at the rear. A new rock crawl setting joins the array of driving modes. The body also gains deployable running boards that tuck into the body when not needed and additional skid plates.

The Tremor package is available on the XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum trim levels. Buyers can select either the 7.3-liter V8 gasoline engine or 6.7-liter PowerStroke diesel V8. The only gearbox option is a 10-speed automatic. The Blue Oval isn't yet offering pricing details for the new option.

Why on earth would they put garbage twin-tube shocks on this truck?

IMG_1789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

j21black

Reaction score
Someone is gonna tow a utility trailer!!

Horses, Boats, and occasionally this thing.

IMG_3393.jpg

My daughters new horse has a serious bloodline.

IMG_3879.jpg

And she’s huge.

IMG_3877.jpg

And my dad is wanting to sell this covered trailer. Pic taken last year when I borrowed it. I’m considering buying it now as he hasn’t been able to move it in a year with his asking price.

IMG_4053.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Reaction score
He's got a Yeti cooler so he's all set :D

Justfishing

Reaction score
So because the RAM has a better interior and ride quality, it wins? It lost everywhere (or nearly) it counts for a TRUCK. The reviewers couldn't get past the interior, stereo, and infotainment system of the RAM. it's no wonder why I don't read Car and Driver anymore.

The 22 wheel/tire combo is ridiculous. I can't imagine that's a good combo should you find yourself in the dirt.

The premise of the article was luxury toy haulers. It was not geared to off road or work trucks.

My view was they rated them on ride and luxury daily drivers that are used as toy haulers a small amount of the time. I do think it influences the criteria.

pronstar

Reaction score
That is odd, one of the changes to the 18 and 19 F150s is that they went to mono tube shocks.

Yeah one article I read also questioned it. Very strange.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Elon Musk & Tesla should be worried...

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Ford to release 7 new electric vehicles by 2022 (obviously they'll be pickups and SUVs). Spending $11.5B to electrify their vehicles.

The F-150 is "coming out in a couple of years"

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Not pickups but relevant...

GM offers the Z71 package on a number of different vehicles, including its various trucks and SUVs. The package adds a host of equipment that bless the given vehicle with extra off-roading prowess and bolder styling. Let’s take a closer look at the Z71 package as it applies to the current Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe SUVs.

When it comes time to hit the dusty trail, it’s important to have the right components for the job. With that in mind, the Z71 package for the current Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe includes the following content:
  • Package-specific suspension
  • Z71-specific 18-inch wheels (RCV)
  • 18-inch all-terrain tires (RBX) that help the SUVs grip non-paved surfaces with greater tenacity
In the event some large, unmovable obstacle threatens the vital mechanical bits underneath the body, there’s also Z71-specific skid plates (NZZ) to help cushion the blow.

2015-Chevrolet-Tahoe-Z71-GMA-Garage-1.jpg

To help get the power to the ground, there’s also an upgraded 3.42 rear axle (GU6) and a new transfer case (NQH), while a high-capacity air cleaner (K47) helps the engine breathe a little better and create more power.

As expected, the Z71 package for the Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe also comes with a full list of aesthetic exterior upgrades, both for show and for function. These include:

Exterior:
  • Z71-specific grille design
  • Fog lamps (T3U)
  • Black tubular assist steps (BVV)
  • Black recovery hooks (V76)
  • Badging on the pillar and liftgate
Interior:
  • Z71-specific front sill plates
  • Z71-specific rubber floor mats with logo (B5N)
  • Decal on the cluster gauge
Finally, the Z71 package for the Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe tosses in a few electronic assists, including Hill Descent Control (JHD) along with Front and Rear Park Assist (UD5).

The Z71 package is available on Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe models in the LT trim level, and is restricted only to 4WD models. The Z71 package content is included as standard with the Z71 Midnight Edition package (WJP). However, the package is not available in conjunction with the LT Midnight Edition (ST7) or with any LPO wheel option. Pricing for the package is set at $1,850.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/07...e-chevrolet-suburban-and-tahoe/#ixzz5uWdTsKq9

Dirty Daytona

Reaction score
My brother has an 18 GMC with the 22" wheels. The wheels look cool, but that's about it.
My Escalade came with the 22 inch wheels. I bought some 18 inch brand new take off from a Yukon and switched them out, it was the best thing I ever did. Rides smoother and quieter, that extra sidewall makes a huge difference.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Ford to release 7 new electric vehicles by 2022 (obviously they'll be pickups and SUVs). Spending $11.5B to electrify their vehicles.

The F-150 is "coming out in a couple of years"

If they can build a f150 all electric that has decent range and is not $$$$$$$ it will sell like hot cakes too the fleet guys. Hell, if they can make one with 200 ish mile actual range( as in using it for work) in fleet trim under 50k I would buy one. The few years would make up for it np.

jet496

Reaction score
Some Chevy lowlights: It's staggering just how stark the difference is between the Silverado and the two other trucks here. One logbook note called the Chevy "a $70,000 kick in the nuts." Technical editor David Beard wrote, "I like the engine in this truck, and that's it."

Our frustration with the Silverado is rooted in its ride and the noodly feel of the structure. Chevy followed its crosstown rival down the aluminum road only a short way, stamping the hood, doors, and tailgate from aluminum. The body and box are still steel. Chevy manages to undercut the Ford by 90 pounds just the same, though after driving the Silverado, we wished Chevy had put a little more beef into its structure. Those 22-inch wheels are the hammers, and the body is a dulcimer string. This truck shakes and vibrates so much that, bombing down a rough road, we expected to get a call from OnStar asking if we'd been in an accident. (We've had that experience before off-pavement.)

There's nothing like a $70,000 Silverado to prove just how far GM hasn't come with its interiors. The plastics look and feel cheap, and the design, even in this High Country model, feels phoned in. Our jurors all agreed that few things about this truck feel new; Tingwall decreed it "a throwback to the days when pickup trucks were not family transportation." It's a far cry from the luxury toy-hauler experiences offered by Ford and Ram.
I pay around $45 for my Crew cab, 2018 Silverados purchased thru a fleet department here in San Diego & bought a couple 2017 as well. Great trucks for the money.

I also bought a Ford F350 last year, which has been good, but we like the Silverados better for some reason. Anybody paying $70K for one is nutso though. Dealerships love those people.

j21black

Reaction score
Oh. I did buy that Covered trailer from my Dad.

IMG_4209.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Could be cool -

Did you see the 1M+ pound pull on a proto F150 ?

It's a stunt but pretty cool no less- should have no problem yanking a boat out of the water or starting a trailer up a hill.

It's going to be a looong time before Ford has the battery pack manufacturing chops to make many electric F150's, and even longer for there to be any real charging infrastructure, but they have to start somewhere.

UD

ramos45

Reaction score
Could be cool -

Did you see the 1M+ pound pull on a proto F150 ?

It's a stunt but pretty cool no less- should have no problem yanking a boat out of the water or starting a trailer up a hill.

It's going to be a looong time before Ford has the battery pack manufacturing chops to make many electric F150's, and even longer for there to be any real charging infrastructure, but they have to start somewhere.

UD

I wonder what the remaining range is after the stunt, pretty cool though.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I wonder what the remaining range is after the stunt, pretty cool though.

No doubt a butt load less than when they started.

I wonder if that stunt can cause permanent damage to the motors in terms of smoking the windings.

Electrics make a shit ton of torque out of hole no doubt.

UD

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Details about Tesla’s upcoming pickup truck are relatively few and far between, so even small updates are welcome among the all-electric car maker’s community of enthusiasts. That said, CEO Elon Musk recently revealed the final details of the truck are underway and its unveiling should be in two to three months.

“We’re close, but the magic is in the final details. Maybe 2 to 3 months,” Musk teased on Twitter in reference to the Tesla Truck’s reveal timeline.

The last major update from Musk about the cyberpunk-styled truck was given during the recently-held 2019 Annual Shareholder Meeting. During the event, the vehicle’s design, towing capacity, and performance were briefly discussed, Musk specifically noting that the truck’s stats would be comparable or even better than a base Porsche 911. He further estimated its unveiling date to be near the end of summer 2019 which is in line with his most recent comments on the timeline.

tesla-pickup-truck-4.jpg

An artist’s render of the Tesla Pickup Truck. (Credit: Emre Husman)

WhatExit?

Reaction score
While we saw Musk's hideous truck there are other options including the Rivian which will be commercially available.

R1T-Web_r2_00013-75032d52ba80013db5c9fa24b491ab55.png

WhatExit?

Reaction score
And the Hummer electric truck is coming too...

The Hummer EV is a new electric pickup truck that General Motors is launching under the GMC brand. It promises up to 1000 horsepower and will offer one-, two-, and three-motor versions. The GMC Hummer EV will debut May 20, 2020 and go on sale starting in fall 2021.

You can tell it's a GM product based on its looks (not a fan but that's just MO):

gmc-hummer-e-truck-fr1-final3-1580917363.jpg

WhatExit?

Reaction score
IMO the most interesting truck will be the one from Nikola - they're calling it the Badger.

The fuel-cell (hybrid) version has massive potential with its huge power and 600 mile range. Nikola is launching their hydrogen fuel stations nationwide in support of their over the road trucks so there will be plenty of fuel stations supporting these trucks.

The battery-electric version of the Badger will offer 300 miles of range, while the fuel-cell/battery-electric hybrid offers 600, the company said. What sets it apart from the rest of the upcoming electrified-truck pack is that, if an owner buys the battery-electric-only version, they can later upgrade and have the fuel-cell system added to their Badger.

While Nikola is pushing hard for fuel-cell semis, making sure the truck is available as an battery-electric vehicle is a smart move considering that most of the fuel-cell fueling infrastructure is in California, with expansion to other areas moving slowly.

nikola_badger1.jpg

Trevor Milton
@nikolatrevo

I wanted to post something no one has seen. badger pre-production interior CAD. Notice the floor mounting system? It's throughout the truck and made to secure any loads within the vehicle safely. See quality of everything - waterproof. Hidden Fridge too:)

EaBWyi-XgAIWNqL

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Nikola is launching their hydrogen fuel stations nationwide in support of their over the road trucks so there will be plenty of fuel stations supporting these trucks.
This is where the Nikola hype falls apart.

I know of one operational Hydrogen station today. Newport Beach area. There are probably a couple more, but I'm not looking it up. Miniscule. I've been in the Alternate Fuels business for 25 years. Deeply involved globally. Infrastructure is still where this falls apart. Especially with a brand new vehicle fuel. Trevor Milton was a competitor of mine (was, so I got no walrus in this squabble). I even bought some NKLA this week, but got out right away for the reasons above. I'm not too proud to take a quick gain, but again, infrastructure is a huge deal. With Natural Gas, there is an exploration, drilling, storage and pipeline system throughout the entire globe and we couldn't make it work for heavy-duty vehicles (Trevor couldn't either). Still very infantile even with all of that what I call "Macro-structure" behind it. I believe in Hydrogen Fuel Cells, and they will happen someday, but just listen to my favorite quote from T. Boone Pickens "Hydrogen, the fuel of the future, and it always will be."

pronstar

Reaction score
I’m really looking forward to seeing more of the Bollinger trucks.

Utilitarian like a Jeep or Defender 90, but also full-sized.

Sherpa

Reaction score
the GM/CHevy "Man-step" tailgate is kinda neat, except there's a flaw in the design................. it won't work if theres a hitch in the receiver.......... the tailgate hits it.

that's a big miss for a new tailgate design team.........

--Sherpa

After my 1990 F250 trans issues, I'd never buy another ford. on purpose.
I'll stick with my 2018 dodge 3500...

WhatExit?

Reaction score
This is where the Nikola hype falls apart.

I know of one operational Hydrogen station today. Newport Beach area. There are probably a couple more, but I'm not looking it up. Miniscule. I've been in the Alternate Fuels business for 25 years. Deeply involved globally. Infrastructure is still where this falls apart. Especially with a brand new vehicle fuel. Trevor Milton was a competitor of mine (was, so I got no walrus in this squabble). I even bought some NKLA this week, but got out right away for the reasons above. I'm not too proud to take a quick gain, but again, infrastructure is a huge deal. With Natural Gas, there is an exploration, drilling, storage and pipeline system throughout the entire globe and we couldn't make it work for heavy-duty vehicles (Trevor couldn't either). Still very infantile even with all of that what I call "Macro-structure" behind it. I believe in Hydrogen Fuel Cells, and they will happen someday, but just listen to my favorite quote from T. Boone Pickens "Hydrogen, the fuel of the future, and it always will be."

Like your points and TBP's quote. As you said, a gating factor for Nikola are the hydrogen fueling stations but they have to (and are) building them because their heavy trucks and pickups will depend on them.

According to Nikola, the Badger will have 906 horsepower, 980 lb-ft of torque, and a towing capacity of more than 8000 pounds. It'll be equipped with a 160.0-kWh battery pack and an optional 120.0-kW fuel cell.

dribble

Reaction score
I'm curious if those reviews carry over to the GMC brands as well?

RD

They are built on the same assembly line. They are just badged differently. I once saw a GMC pick up brand new on a dealer’s lot and on one side it had a Chevrolet badge. Somebody on that side of the assembly line either didn’t read their build sheet or ran out of GMC badges.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I put my name on the list for a Tesla. Like most ugly things, outside looks don't matter once your inside. :D The stainless steel construction is what sold me. I'll will the thing to my Grandchildren.

The Bollinger is interesting, but the price is eye-watering. Same with the Rivan.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I put my name on the list for a Tesla. Like most ugly things, outside looks don't matter once your inside. :D The stainless steel construction is what sold me. I'll will the thing to my Grandchildren.

The Bollinger is interesting, but the price is eye-watering. Same with the Rivan.
Is the Tesla a bargain compared to the other two? Don’t know haven’t seen pricing on any of it not that I’m going to buy one. 😂

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
List price of 49,9 for the dual motor model. Don't which options yet for that price.

WhatExit?

Reaction score
Here's the answer to the question, "How do you make a Taco with 6 wheels?"

toyota-tacoma-trd-6x6-is-the-widebody-truck-nobody-asked-for-145237_1.jpg

toyota-tacoma-trd-6x6-is-the-widebody-truck-nobody-asked-for_1.jpg

toyota-tacoma-trd-6x6-is-the-widebody-truck-nobody-asked-for_2.jpg

toyota-tacoma-trd-6x6-is-the-widebody-truck-nobody-asked-for_3.jpg

WhatExit?

Reaction score
The new Ford F-150, set to be revealed tomorrow if it doesn't leak sooner

Here's Why the 2021 Ford F-150 Is Such a Huge Deal: With $42 billion in revenue in 2019, the F-Series alone brings in more money than McDonald's and Nike.

Forget the new Bronco, forget the BMW M4 (I bet you want to, with that face) and forget even the Volkswagen Arteon. In fact, forget almost every other consumer product that's set to debut this year. The new Ford F-150, set to be revealed tomorrow if it doesn't leak sooner, is by revenue perhaps the most important thing you can buy coming out in 2020.

Let's get past the obvious importance. We know it's America's best-selling vehicle, Ford's best-selling vehicle, and so crucial that the automaker literally can't afford to screw up its launch like the Explorer last year. But Bloomberg is here to examine what a big deal it—and by extension, the entire F-Series family—is in terms of sales numbers and total revenue.

The almost 900,000 F-Series pickups sold last year generated about $42 billion in revenue, according to a study Ford commissioned from the Boston Consulting Group. That ranks near Apple Inc.’s iPhone among the biggest U.S. consumer products. On its own, F-Series is larger than McDonald’s, Nike, Coca-Cola Co. and Starbucks.

“It’s the crown jewels of the business,” Hau Thai-Tang, Ford’s product development chief, said in an interview. The revenue figure BCG cites is almost 30% of the total Ford reported for its automotive business last year. “There’s no product more important for us, and when the F-150 chief engineer calls, he usually gets all the help he needs.”

The F-Series line of trucks supports roughly half a million jobs and contributes $49 billion annually to U.S. gross domestic product, the study found.

AZMIDLYF

Reaction score
Whatever it is, you can witness it tonight at 8pm ET. That’s when Ford will reveal the redesigned F-150 it's been hyping for months.

Lest you think, “sweet, new truck”...agreed, but it’s much more than that. The F-150 has been the U.S.’ best-selling vehicle for decades. As for the broader F-Series family, here are some nuts truck stats:

• In a study commissioned by Ford, Boston Consulting Group found the F-Series made about $42 billion in revenue last year, not far behind the iPhone's $55 billion in revenue.
  • The F-Series generated more revenue in 2019 than the MLB, NHL, NFL, and NBA combined.
  • On its own, the F-Series would be a Fortune 100 company larger than McDonald’s, Nike, Coca-Cola, and Starbucks in terms of revenue.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Tell that to wifey and her daily driver
5AC6AB4D-4986-45B4-A754-36D284853415.jpeg