WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pickup Trucks

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
The generator option seems pretty damn cool.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Yeah. I wonder how they do it - Im guessing its a dual/triple alternator with an Ac inverter
Eager to see its variable RPM or fixed RPM, and if the onboard OLM accounts for hours as well as miles.

Could be great for the trades as well as home backup

When they say over the air updates it will be interesting to see what that encompasses.

Looks sweet.

UD

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I wonder if it would power a travel trailer AC
An optional 7500 watt would most definitely do so. The only problem would become the generator is drawing fuel from your tow vehicle.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I’m pissed the latest version of Ford Pass no longer allows me to start the truck from my phone.

Edit: After a couple days the Ford app seems to have fixed itself without an update. Now I can start the truck via my phone again.

LB247XS

Reaction score
I just bought this 2018 3500 Z71 monster and Absolutely love it
20200624_091015.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Yeah. I wonder how they do it - Im guessing its a dual/triple alternator with an Ac inverter
Eager to see its variable RPM or fixed RPM, and if the onboard OLM accounts for hours as well as miles.

Could be great for the trades as well as home backup

When they say over the air updates it will be interesting to see what that encompasses.

Looks sweet.

UD

An additional 100 amp alternator would provide enough to run a 7.5kW inverter.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Im not sure how, but Im still waiting for my first cup of coffee to kick in.

100 amps at 12V is 1200 Watts. two of these only gets you to 2400 says its a 14.4 at peak (not idle) it would be 1440X 2

Two 36V Alternators @ 100 amps will put out 3600 watts each at 120V getting you to the 7.2

But then you aren't at the right voltage for the rest of the truck but you could certainly step it down.

UD

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The hybrid generator outputs the following based on the press release:

Four bedside-mounted 120-volt, 20-amp outlets
Single 240-volt, 30-amp outlet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

100 amps at 12V is 1200 Watts. two of these only gets you to 2400 says its a 14.4 at peak (not idle) it would be 1440X 2

Two 36V Alternators @ 100 amps will put out 3600 watts each at 120V getting you to the 7.2

But then you aren't at the right voltage for the rest of the truck but you could certainly step it down.

UD
It's only in the hybrid version so I'm sure they are using the transmission mounted 75hp motor as the generator and running it through an inverter. Since it's in the transmission I bet it's set-up like a PTO.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
It's only in the hybrid version so I'm sure they are using the transmission mounted 75hp motor as the generator and running it through an inverter. Since it's in the transmission I bet it's set-up like a PTO.

Makes total sense.

I was going to add that I bet this shows up only in the hybrid where they are going to be using much higher voltages than the standard auto 12V

I wonder how many RPM the truck will have to turn to make that.

In terms of using it as a construction genset - (this is being proffered in their media)

Lets say it can make this power at a standard idle.
According to fords numbers on police vehicles every hour of idling equals 33 miles of driving.
Used in place of a construction genset daily for 2K hours a year is 66K miles of rotational cycles on the engine. Per year.

Used this way thats 330K of rotational wear in 5 years using it 8 hours a day for 2K hours a year.
Remember not a single mile will show up on the odometer so they have to have some sort of hourly maintenance to this.

UD

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score

Yeah hybrids don’t use starters or alternators , just Motor Generator Units (MGU’s)

Hybrid batteries aren’t 12V, so the system can be configured to output the desired voltage.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Whats everyones guess on what the high-zoot top trim 4x4 hybrid with onboard genset will MSRP at?
- or is that already posted.

UD

pronstar

Reaction score
Whats everyones guess on what the high-zoot top trim 4x4 hybrid with onboard genset will MSRP at?
- or is that already posted.

UD

$82k is my guess

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
$82k is my guess

In before the next "New trucks are too expensive thread"

At least now we can now say yore 06 Duramax didnt have an onboard generator or lay flat seating.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yeah hybrids don’t use starters or alternators , just Motor Generator Units (MGU’s)

Hybrid batteries aren’t 12V, so the system can be configured to output the desired voltage.

Am I hearing that I can now run the blender when in route to the river? :)

sintax

Reaction score
In before the next "New trucks are too expensive thread"

At least now we can now say yore 06 Duramax didnt have an onboard generator or lay flat seating.

The lay flat seating would certainly come in handy when I have to sell my house to buy the truck!

I wouldnt mind a 17 or 18 (with the emissions junk removed), but i think i'll be hanging onto my LBZ Duramax a little longer.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

UD

You're right...

I was doing the math from the inverter end, not the alternator output/inverter input.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
You're right...

I was doing the math from the inverter end, not the alternator output/inverter input.

Been there, I have done a lot of inverter work for dog grooming vans which require more enegery than a full sized RV
By the time I get it all on paper the amount of 10 base conversions starts to get crazy.

UD

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
The real question is will that dodge still be on the road in 10 years, If history is any indication of the future I would say not many. Chevy and Ford will. Always have always will

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the new interior. Don't like the shifter location. Hope a column shifter is optional like my 2018. I don't think I'll get one regardless. I like mine, planning on keeping it. The lease is up in Nov. Plan to get a car as a daily and use the truck as it was meant to be used.

pronstar

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the new interior. Don't like the shifter location. Hope a column shifter is optional like my 2018. I don't think I'll get one regardless. I like mine, planning on keeping it. The lease is up in Nov. Plan to get a car as a daily and use the truck as it was meant to be used.

Yeah that shifter, which electronically stows flat, seems gimmicky.

If I stow the shifter flat so that I have a desk-like area in my console, and I have to pack it all up to move my truck 10 feet at a jobsite, I won’t be a happy camper.

Shifters are no longer mechanical, they’re electronic. Free up that real estate for something useful.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I'm guessing the XL model will come with a 40/20/40 front seat, which I actually prefer to the big tunnel console thingy in the high-zoot models. I'm guessing a rotary shift knob on the dash.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Rivian Releases 4 New Videos Showcasing R1T Truck's Incredible Performance
3 short videos and one just over a minute long...

Performance testing

Fire trail

Drifting

Overview video

This is an older video of their truck doing a "Tank Turn"

pronstar

Reaction score
I love how these websites are like “oh since the TRX was announced, Ford had to react quickly and they just now put a blown V8 into the Raptor!”

Meanwhile, these decisions and prototypes were made years ago. Carmakers don’t just slap engines into vehicles overnight.