WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

PinkTaco's Little Blue Dune Buggy Build Thread....

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;_P63VDwpoaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P63VDwpoaY[/video]

So I picked up this little Rhino a few weeks ago as a fun winter toy, but realized that it was not as clean as I would like it. The original owner put a lot of work into it originally but the kid I got it from pretty much used it as if it were a Class 1 Jimco or one of those swamp buggy deals :grumble:. It's mechanically sound and has pretty much all the goodies that I would want to add (minus a 2 seat cage), so I figured I'd do the little car a solid and return it to it's previous glory :champagne:

Those of you who have met me know that I am far from a baller but I do what I can with what I have and try to have as much fun along the way as possible. Hopefully this build will be fun and I'll learn some stuff along the way :D

Any input is greatly appreciated :thumbsup

Here she is in her current state...

IMG_0606.jpg

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Must have been painted over at Kachina :skull... Whatever, I have a pink boat why not a giant rhino on the hood of my Rhino!?

IMG_4167.jpg

The light bar was an add on, so it and the rest of the cage needs to go in for powder coat. Pretty sure I'm gonna go silver on the light bar, cage, cooler rack and bumper...:cool

IMG_4153.jpg

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the paint is a little worse for wear... Not sure what I'm gonna do there yet

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the plastics are starting to show oxidation.... I have plans for them :D

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Nice. If you do en up going up two seat cage make sure that the rear springs are correct for two seater.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice. If you do en up going up two seat cage make sure that the rear springs are correct for two seater.

Thanks for the heads up Bill! Actually if anyone knows someone selling a two seat cage let me know! :thumbsup

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Making a little progress on disassembly. disconnecting all of the wiring and labeling is a tedious task :grumble:

IMG_4171.jpg

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I acquired a couple old Honda CB750's and a Suzuki DR250S that I am going to be parting out to pay for the rhinoplasty :D

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is how I'm going to fund my little project. I have a '79 and a '81 Honda CB750 and a mid 90's Suzuki DR250 that I am going to part out. I used to deal vintage and used motorcycle parts on the side when I was in the Powersports business so I have an idea what I can move and what I can't. I figure what fun is a build project if you just have stacks of cash to throw at it :D I will have to be pretty deliberate with what I do to the rhino as most of the money will come from the parts I sell off these bikes. Should be fun :D

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

Last edited:

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Here is how I'm going to fund my little project. I have a '79 and a '81 Honda CB750 and a mid 90's Suzuki DR250 that I am going to part out. I used to deal vintage and used motorcycle parts on the side when I was in the Powersports business so I have an idea what I can move and what I can't. I figure what fun is build project if you just have stacks of cash to throw at it :D I will have to be pretty deliberate with what I do to the rhino as most of the money will come from the parts I sell off these bikes. Should be fun :D

View attachment 239191

View attachment 239192

View attachment 239193

Find me an old wrecked Can Am quad with the 800 rotax motor? :D

Sent from my iPad using Tap That Ass

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a few more shots of the Rhino

Dirtay!

IMG_4162.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

Has some nice goodies on it... I think I'll keep the suspension

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

I believe a cooler to be as vital as a motor on a side x side :D

IMG_4164.jpg

Light bar has this electric ram for adjustment... It's actually pretty handy :thumbsup

IMG_4166.jpg

I think I'll find a little less "custom" way to mount my HID balasts :D

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the auctions are starting to get some action... and the I think I may have the Suzuki sold by the end of the weekend if it will stop snowing in Prescott :D

Meanwhile I've had a couple people interested in trading the Rhino for other toys.... A boat and a Baja Bug :hmm

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Sold the Suzuki this morning... Now have enough money for powder coat on the cage. :D

Here's a question for the peanut gallery.... I have a guy who is interested in trading a Class 5U Baja. 1835cc, bus trans. What are your thoughts?

3G83K33Ff5Gd5Ef5Jecbod8ab68b1e69e14c0.jpg

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Yea, for what? Some bike parts? Go for it.:thumbsup For the Rhino? You need to think about what you want todo:)

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I should have clarified... He wants to trade for the rhino :)

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
eBay and Craigslist have been good to me.... Now I can get this build rolling :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356218337.272303.jpg

NEVERENOUGH

Reaction score
My opinion I would keep the rhino as you know there are so many cool places around Prescott to ride. Looks like a solid little toy and can't wait to see the updates.

HotRod82

Reaction score
IMO....around Preskit I would think the 4x4 Rhino would be better, but open desert the bug hands down. Have you seen the bug up close? Garage build or pro- built?

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO....around Preskit I would think the 4x4 Rhino would be better, but open desert the bug hands down. Have you seen the bug up close? Garage build or pro- built?

I've not seen the car up close. Supposedly a pro build. The car is in Havasu so I am trying to get my hands on a car hauler to head out to look at it...:cool

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Decided to keep the Rhino and have fun with my budget build :thumbsup. A few years back when everyone was ballin' out of control (remember those days?) I really wanted a Rhino that was all tricked out with long travel etc. Basically I wanted what this thing used to be :D, but I was up to my ears in motocross bikes at the time and frankly just didn't have room in my life (or garage) for an off road vehicle of the 4 wheel variety. Fast forward to post economic collapse, foreclosure, job loss, etc, and, much like this little car, it was time to rebuild :smackhead I did manage to get out of my economic crisis with some of my toys since I didn't finance my recreation. So I traded my '67 beetle that I was into right and acquired the Rhino :cool Since I'm still not stackin' chips so to speak I've been parting out a couple old motorcycles for the cash to refresh the Rhino. I'm off to a decent start and have put together about a grand to get things going :).
Anyway now that we are up to speed here is where I'm at...

Spent some time tonight taking the light bar and cage off (or at least attempting... more on that later) and deciding on my direction with this thing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go silver on the bumper, light bar, cage, and cooler/gas rack. Also going to hydro-dip the dash, glove box, engine cowl, and headlight buckets and grill. But.... first I have to get all these goodies off the car :grumble:. The wiring looks like it was done by.... well... me, so I'm going to learn how to redo it the right way. The cage bolts appear to be permanently fused to the cage so they are soaking in some penetrating oil in hopes that they will be more agreeable tomorrow. Anywhoo, it may be a long process but I've resigned to have fun with it!

Here's where it is right now... Got the light bar and rear rack off and pulled the lights and wiring off the light bar to get ready for powder coat

IMG_2013.jpg

The wiring is a real beaut Clark!

IMG_2012.jpg

Apparently the cage has had some "modifications".... Gonna grind this down and clean it all up before powder coat.

IMG_2008.jpg

Last edited:

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Got the old light bar welds ground off. Should be getting the cage etc in to the powder coater tomorrow :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357084921.798451.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357084949.241729.jpg

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
The steering wheel adapter is not agreeable. Gonna have to find a different puller.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357085198.673062.jpg

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Just dropped off the cage, bumper, light bar, and cooler rack for powder coat. $250 for all of it coated in Super Silver :D

Anyone else ever had anything Hydro-dipped? Doing the dash, headlight buckets, grill and engine cowl done. I was quoted $450 for all of it and don't know if that is a reasonable price :hmm

NEVERENOUGH

Reaction score
Who do you have doing the powder coating? The local shop or did you take it to Cottonwood? I am thinking about changing up the look of my Teryx and the price seems like a good deal for coating.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Who do you have doing the powder coating? The local shop or did you take it to Cottonwood? I am thinking about changing up the look of my Teryx and the price seems like a good deal for coating.

I had Performance Powdercoating in Prescott do it. I pick it up tomorrow so ill let you know the result!

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up the cage etc from powdercoating. Turned out pretty good :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358192949.697955.jpg

NEVERENOUGH

Reaction score
Looks like it turned out pretty good.Now get to work I can't wait to see that thing finished and back on the trail.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like it turned out pretty good.Now get to work I can't wait to see that thing finished and back on the trail.

I'm happy with it... I asked about having them do my boat trailer and they quoted me $800. Seems pretty reasonable. :thumbsup

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a lot cheaper than buying new plastics for sure! Basically they prep the plastic then paint a base color ( in this case black) then they lay a super thin film with the pattern printed on it in a tub of water and submerse the part into the film. The film wraps the part and it is removed to dry then a clear is sprayed over the top and buffed out. Pretty cool. I opted for a carbon fiber look. I think it turned out pretty cool.

Hammer

Reaction score
It's a lot cheaper than buying new plastics for sure! Basically they prep the plastic then paint a base color ( in this case black) then they lay a super thin film with the pattern printed on it in a tub of water and submerse the part into the film. The film wraps the part and it is removed to dry then a clear is sprayed over the top and buffed out. Pretty cool. I opted for a carbon fiber look. I think it turned out pretty cool.

I belive I saw a show on the process now that you mention it, they were dipping camo guns. Turned out really cool .

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
Getting the steps and door rails coated with Spray in bed liner.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359476198.103960.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359476221.397421.jpg