WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pirate Boat"

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have the information on the New 65' Pirate Boat/Recreation Rental that was launched at Windsor yesterday.

jbird

Reaction score
FDB7DB05-0ADF-4A8B-A6B1-0257F5C8A135.jpeg

tostark

Liquid Equity
Reaction score
From News-Herald

A pirate ship has been spotted sailing the high seas of Lake Havasu and it’s looking for…vacationers.
On Tuesday morning Layla Wade, Ryan Dimit and Charley Robertson gathered at Windsor Beach in Lake Havasu State Park to supervise as their new boat/vacation rental, the 65 feet long Sirens Gate, was loaded off the truck by a sky crane into the water.
When the masts are reattached the ship will be nearly 30 feet tall.

The Sirens Gate is a 1985 Gibson Houseboat that has been converted to look like a ship from the worlds of Robert Louis Stevenson and “Pirates of the Caribbean.” Before Wade, Dimit and Robertson purchased the vessel, it was being run as a vacation rental in St. Paul, Minnesota.

According to Dimit, the Sirens Gate made a 50 mile journey up the Mississippi River to Red Wing, Mississippi, before it was loaded onto a truck and driven across the country to Lake Havasu City.

Sirens Gate’s new home will be at Havasu Springs and those who are looking to rent the house boat will have three packages to choose from when they make their reservation.
According to Dimit guests can stay on the boat while it’s docked at Havasu Springs, anchored at one of the many coves around the lake or charter a captain to navigate the boat to where they please.
Dimit says that there are plans to add two more house boats to the fleet if the Sirens Gate proves to be a successful venture.
While there is no official date yet for when people can make their reservations the owners of the Sirens Gate are hoping to have the ship in the English Channel on Christmas Eve for all to see.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
From News-Herald

A pirate ship has been spotted sailing the high seas of Lake Havasu and it’s looking for…vacationers.
On Tuesday morning Layla Wade, Ryan Dimit and Charley Robertson gathered at Windsor Beach in Lake Havasu State Park to supervise as their new boat/vacation rental, the 65 feet long Sirens Gate, was loaded off the truck by a sky crane into the water.
When the masts are reattached the ship will be nearly 30 feet tall.

The Sirens Gate is a 1985 Gibson Houseboat that has been converted to look like a ship from the worlds of Robert Louis Stevenson and “Pirates of the Caribbean.” Before Wade, Dimit and Robertson purchased the vessel, it was being run as a vacation rental in St. Paul, Minnesota.

According to Dimit, the Sirens Gate made a 50 mile journey up the Mississippi River to Red Wing, Mississippi, before it was loaded onto a truck and driven across the country to Lake Havasu City.

Sirens Gate’s new home will be at Havasu Springs and those who are looking to rent the house boat will have three packages to choose from when they make their reservation.
According to Dimit guests can stay on the boat while it’s docked at Havasu Springs, anchored at one of the many coves around the lake or charter a captain to navigate the boat to where they please.
Dimit says that there are plans to add two more house boats to the fleet if the Sirens Gate proves to be a successful venture.
While there is no official date yet for when people can make their reservations the owners of the Sirens Gate are hoping to have the ship in the English Channel on Christmas Eve for all to see.
Red Wing MINNESOTA not Mississippi. Red Wing, home of Red Wing Work Boots.

Looking Glass

Reaction score

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
The exposed running gear could be a problem at Havasu. It would have been better to have a boat with protective keels. Just saying.

Tank

Reaction score
Seriously though. 1200 a night? I just did a quick airbnb check and there are only 4 houses for rent in Havasu that are slightly more money and they sleep 23, 18, 14, and 10! Comparable 60' houseboat out of Havasu (that sleeps 10 though) is $1200 a night, but you get to take it and drive it where ever you want.

Sorry to poo poo it, I just think it's a tad over optimistic on pricing.

It is a "cute" idea and if it was more reasonable I'd even consider it for the kids. And its cool that it'll be on havasu. I'll blast by and raise a beer salute when I see it. LOL

Familyties

Reaction score
I hope they don't block my slip at the Springs. :)
It should be fun to look at while having a drink at Outer Harbor, can't wait

Tank

Reaction score
They will

They will get that no problem!!!
You really think that price is sustainable? You can't dive it like a standard house boat. So you stay at the dock or pay an extra fee to have it taken to a cove. I think it's way optimistic on pricing. Guess we'll see. More power to 'em.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I hope they don't block my slip at the Springs. :)
It should be fun to look at while having a drink at Outer Harbor, can't wait
You have to know that thing is gonna cause a cluster inside the wake barrier. 65 feet. Only a few spots it could fit at and you gotta figure it isn't the best for other boat traffic or baller boat parking favorites.

Groper

Reaction score
LOL that looks like a Termite factory :oops: can you imagine the maintenance on that wood structure.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Maybe someone knows....Why isn't there a booze cruise boat that goes out on the lake? Something like this would be perfect for it? There was one back home 35-55$ for a couple hours that we went on regularly...got smashed while the captain pretended to be Johnny Depp it was a good time. Always thought something like it would do well on havasu. I agree with @Tank much of the year I don't see them getting that, who knows though.

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
Can't believe someone has not thought of or been successful at getting the appropriate licensing and setting up a Willy T's in one of the coves....thing would be a cash cow....

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Maybe someone knows....Why isn't there a booze cruise boat that goes out on the lake? Something like this would be perfect for it? There was one back home 35-55$ for a couple hours that we went on regularly...got smashed while the captain pretended to be Johnny Depp it was a good time. Always thought something like it would do well on havasu. I agree with @Tank much of the year I don't see them getting that, who knows though.

Liability, Maybe?

traquer

Reaction score
Liability, Maybe?
Maybe, I think on most booze cruises the boat is too big and the water too cold so nobody swims. On the Croatia sailing tours that's like a few grand and a couple days so I guess they're able to provide the minimal amount of training to not be liable legally

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Oh Boy.... this'll be fun to watch. Following..... we've had tourism related boat ventures pass through Newport Harbor for years. Most recently was a glass bottom "Submarine" from owners in Alaska.... took a couple years and gone. Apparently there's nothing to see down there ha.

Looking Glass

Reaction score
Maybe, I think on most booze cruises the boat is too big and the water too cold so nobody swims. On the Croatia sailing tours that's like a few grand and a couple days so I guess they're able to provide the minimal amount of training to not be liable legally

Tripping, Falling down, Falling Overboard? I don't know, BUT!!

As a Wise Man told me years ago = You Need an Attorney to get Born, To Live and To Die.

Humans without Booze are an Accident waiting to happen, then just Add "Nitro" to the Equation.:oops:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
It is a "cute" idea and if it was more reasonable I'd even consider it for the kids.
I typically hate theme based stuff. I think Pirates Cove and their stupid uniforms is dumb, but some families want that stuff. Good luck to them, but I'd much rather be on a contemporary houseboat, with good amenities, even at the same cost.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
There used to be a big Bud Light boat under the bridge that you could rent that had a huge stereo. Held about 15-20 people. Used to see it in Steamboat. I think the guy that rented and drove it is the guy that rents the pontoon boats without motors in the channel.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
At 65' it's going to be interesting getting it around the Springs breakwater. I've personally witnessed fuckers having a hard time on a Sea-Doo. 🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
3800$, three day minimum, does sound excessive. On the flipside though, I believe Pirate Cove gets 400+ to rent a RZR for 8 hours. That seems expensive also, but people pay it. It wouldn't be my first choice on a business proposition, but these people must be brighter than me. The way I see it, they have amassed enough capital to buy the boat and have it moved already, so they've made some good decisions in their lives.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I wonder if they have pirate outfits on board. I can see the nautical swingers party weekends moving to this. 'Arrgggghhhh, swill on the poop deck capt sparrow'

outboard_256

Reaction score
I typically hate theme based stuff. I think Pirates Cove and their stupid uniforms is dumb, but some families want that stuff. Good luck to them, but I'd much rather be on a contemporary houseboat, with good amenities, even at the same cost.

I never understood it until I had kids. I can go to a super nice hotel and the kids are bored to death, go to lego land hotel and they are having so much fun in the hotel they don't want to leave. I had a disney cruise that I had to cancel due to covid but it was more expensive than my princess cruises.

My guess is thier thought is you can find a contemporary houseboat anywhere and they would have to compete with those that are better. You aren't going to find a pirate ship to rent so you have the full market place. Now how big that market place is they are going to find out. But I do see big money out on the lake so who knows.

Tank

Reaction score
I agree with this. I think a booze cruise with entertainment and food at sunset or a "swim / booze cruise" for a few hours out to one of the bays mid day would KILL it! I love the one in Kona. We still go out on it once in a while because it's so much fun. There's actually a lot of tourists that don't bring boats that roll into Havasu.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
Can't believe someone has not thought of or been successful at getting the appropriate licensing and setting up a Willy T's in one of the coves....thing would be a cash cow....

It has to do with permitting and licensing. Besides Coast Guard permits, licenses, inspections, certifications, etc, the BLM regulates commerce on the River/Lake/Water surface. There are limits to the type and number of concessions allowed, and they can't set up a permanent location, without a whole bunch of amenities, to comply with the Recreational Concession requirements.

This thing came from the midwest, where it's been doing this for 5-6 years, so lot of the inspections and stuff have been done, they'll just have to have it recertified before it can run out here. And FYI, one of the people mentioned in the article is the daughter of one of the principals in CRA, Emerald Cove, Havasu Springs, plus Windmill, Big Bend, River Island Market, etc.

Last edited: