WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pirate Cove Water Ski Race - March 31st

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
On Saturday, March 31st, Pirate Cove will be the host site of the 1st Water Ski Race on the River near Needles.

There will be two races. First race is from Pirate Cove to Needles and Back (About 20 miles total). The main event is from Pirate Cove to the Avi Resort and back (About 40 miles total).

Each Race will have the unique time trial format of 1 boat every 30 seconds so each boat will get sheet glass and the river to themselves. All boats will start at Pirate Cove, head down river for the first leg and stop.

Once all boats complete the first leg, all boats will head back to Pirate Cove one at at a time. Multiple classes so all levels/boat types can participate. Legendary US Ski Racer, former World Champion and 10 time Catalina Water Ski Race Winner Todd Haig is leading the efforts to make this race happen.

Ski Racing in the US needs a shot in the arm and a unique event like this is a great way to rejuvenate some interest in a great sport.

Hopefully this race will bring some folks out of the "woodworks" to participate in a race that is unique and not easy to make happen. Its success is dependant on participation and the focus is on people enjoying a fun event.

After party on Saturday night at Pirate Cove should be a great time with great people. Support the sport and support the Cove.

As with any first time event, challenges and obstacles are expected. These are being worked through and finalized with a few short weeks ahead. The hope is for a FUN day that will lead to a bigger and better and hopefully annual event.

Below is a list of classes for each race...

Sprint Race...

Grass Roots
Novice
Jr. Boys
Jr. Girls
51 & Over
Double Up
Flat Bottom
Up and Back (One skier skis each way)
Unlimited (any type boat, any age skier)

Main Event...

Open Men
Open Women
Unlimited
70 mph class
Jet Boat
Stock Boat
Outboard
Flat Bottom
Double Up
Up and Back

Attachments

• Pirate Cove Water Ski Race.jpg
    Pirate Cove Water Ski Race.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 1,017

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea, Aussie type format!

hallett21

Reaction score
I wanna do that!!! And my first race is in two weeks in Parker lol

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I will be there for sure...would love the ski the sprint and pull the main!

Haiger

Reaction score
So Berry i will count you in for helping out on that day if your not in a boat riding for someone.:D

skifaster

Hard Member
Reaction score
Is the Outboard class running the F2 rules?

Outboard is not running F2 rules. The idea was to make it less restricted so if you have an Outboard, you can run the race. The intent of this entire race is to get people to participate. It would be awesome to see your boat out there again John.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
So Berry i will count you in for helping out on that day if your not in a boat riding for someone.:D

If I had more notice, I would be on a ski. Don't think the boat will be done in time!

Halvecto

Reaction score
Way to go Andy & Todd!

Looks like a great race with a twist. I have never been to that area of the river. Given RD's thread, are there many shallow areas that could cause problems and will they be marked with buoys of some sort?

Hoping to make it out with the kids and some new skiers for the slow boat classes. :rolleyes:

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
This looks like an awesome event, and we can't wait do run up to Avi.

Andy and Todd, from what i understand the both of you had a lot to do with being able to run this race. Thank you for stepping up for our sport, im sure its a ton of work. if you guys need any help let me know.

so i am going to throw it out there...this is most likely to be one of the fastest races because of conditions and format so....

whos going to hit the top speed?

and what will that top speed be?:eek:

i will start by it wont be me! :rolleyes:

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
Looks like I picked a good year for a comeback (OB); can't wait to saddle up in #14 for this one.
Unlimited class?; Envision a 43' Skater, 400-450' rope....with Dave Chandler all tuned up and rippin'. Ohboy.

Thanks a ton Todd & Andy. Anything I can do to lend a hand just ask.
Denny

Last edited:

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score
Denny, looking forward to seeing you and Jaime!

The Daytona stands ready to pull Chandler if Sue will let him run behind a cat!

SGettmann

Reaction score
When I think of point to point river races, I think double up. Who's in?

Erin and I will ski the morning race, with Dave driving the Schiada 347 and BJ observing. Then for the main, BJ and I on the back, with Erin observing and Dave driving. It's going to be one fun day. I'm trying to visualize the rope handling at the mid way point when we're on break. Hole shot for the first start, then another hole shot and rope for the second start? Not sure if there will be enough time to reload the hole shot. Observer will have there hands full keeping the ropes sorted without the hole shots in the vdrive.

I'm looking forward to Paker, though have to say that I'm really fired up this river race. Makes the gym sessions more intense and the early season ski time on the water, well, not as cold.

Andy, will there be online registration through www.nwsra.net? How should we sign up and make our commitment? Sean

Haiger

Reaction score
There is two real shallow spot one above needles the other just below willow valley we are planning on putting out buoys to help the driver navigate these area. For the couple spot above willow valley we will make them as well. With any luck Davis dam will release at lest 4 units and there shouldn't be any problems.

Denny i hope you have ear plugs for your year in #14 boat. Anyone that know Brady know he can spin a yarn.

it would be awesome if Dave Chandler can out and skied!!

Sean i am glad your asking these questions. The way i see it is if there is 30 boats starting 30 sec apart it should take 15 min to get all the boats started and headed up river. 20 miles depending on your speed shouldn't take more then 20 min (if it does its ok). After the last boat finishes the start boat will run up behind it as a sweep and as soon as it get to the turn around point and everything is safe we will go on a 10 min to the start. Then run the start procedure all over again and you start were you finished if you finished 5 on the first leg then you start 5 on the seconded leg. So depending were you finished you should have at least 20min to reload your hole shot or any other pre race rituals.

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score
There is two real shallow spot one above needles the other just below willow valley we are planning on putting out buoys to help the driver navigate these area. For the couple spot above willow valley we will make them as well. With any luck Davis dam will release at lest 4 units and there shouldn't be any problems.

Denny i hope you have ear plugs for your year in #14 boat. Anyone that know Brady know he can spin a yarn.

it would be awesome if Dave Chandler can out and skied!!

Sean i am glad your asking these questions. The way i see it is if there is 30 boats starting 30 sec apart it should take 15 min to get all the boats started and headed up river. 20 miles depending on your speed shouldn't take more then 20 min (if it does its ok). After the last boat finishes the start boat will run up behind it as a sweep and as soon as it get to the turn around point and everything is safe we will go on a 10 min to the start. Then run the start procedure all over again and you start were you finished if you finished 5 on the first leg then you start 5 on the seconded leg. So depending were you finished you should have at least 20min to reload your hole shot or any other pre race rituals.
Thanks Todd. I will be hanging in the #14 for all (3) marathons and circles. So you know, I just turn up the volume in the Peltor; filters out all those yarns and other undesirables. DC's in Daytona and I wil definately get him at the race one way or another. G'luk my friend, let me know if I can help out.
DV

Don Johnson

Don Johnson
Reaction score

QUOTE]

There are 2 other areas of concern, up river past Willow Valley. One is just downriver from circle beach a rock bar and the other just downriver from Avi where there are 2 or 3 old trees that depending on water level can be hidden just under the surface and if you do not know where those are you are on top of them before you can see them.

racerden

Boat #197
Reaction score

QUOTE]

There are 2 other areas of concern, up river past Willow Valley. One is just downriver from circle beach a rock bar and the other just downriver from Avi where there are 2 or 3 old trees that depending on water level can be hidden just under the surface and if you do not know where those are you are on top of them before you can see them.
Thanks DJ. I know this is your home turf and have great knowledge in this area (especially when you are helming your 38'). Be sure to offer up any ideas/assistance to Todd and Andy.
DV

bradyhoggins

Reaction score
I am glad we are getting racesw over here that can be fun and are like catalina a distance not timed race. Really looking forward to skiing it Todd thanx for putting this together it will be awesome. also thanx for telling everyone what they already know that i talk shit and make things sound way better then they are :)

SKI SCHOOL

Reaction score
This race is going to be great! I'm Coming out of retirement for this one.

Halvecto

Reaction score
NWSRA or some group should make another run at this race.... Still think it is a great format and different approach. Would attract all kinds of various levels of boats, skiers, ages, etc.

@Hammer, After finishing the HIH, maybe Hallett and/or Nordic would get behind this.

montaj629

Reaction score
We did a race a long time ago that started near the front of Havasu Landing. Turn boat was at Havasu Springs and finish was in front Nautical. That would be a good one to do as well. Time it for off-season Havasu so we don’t fight it.

Halvecto

Reaction score
We did a race a long time ago that started near the front of Havasu Landing. Turn boat was at Havasu Springs and finish was in front Nautical. That would be a good one to do as well. Time it for off-season Havasu so we don’t fight it.

What do you think the total distance is for that route?

Wbinder

Reaction score
Spent my first day on a long board ski yesterday I’m hooked and still have no idea what I’m doin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
That one never happened, I forget what the issue was.

I'm pretty sure it was a permit issue with the coast guard, as well as not having enough rescue boats/crews...