WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pirates Cove buoy’s

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
So we were at Pirates last Sunday and i know it wouldn’t have changed the outcome of the incident last Labor Day, but how would someone go about appropriately making a suggestion to Park Moabi/Pirates Cove about moving the two buoy’s out?? I have my idea of how and where and all it is is to slow the congestion of hot rods flying in and out. And honestly feel it’d make it much safer all together entering and exiting.
X’s are exciting buoy’s O’s are where i personally think it’d be better.
B43F3992-9A67-4C0B-A01B-9381FCE67457.jpeg

And no it’s not supposed to look like a woman o_O

Last edited:

Rbcconst

Reaction score
They should be moved out. I think a little further and there should be 4-5 of them. But how is that going to affect the flow of traffic on the river. People will be slowing down in the middle of the river earlier to prepare to go in. It’s already a cluster on the river right there. Maybe they need to extend the no wake from topock past the first pirates beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
No more - no wakes. Soon this will be the pirates of the Caribbean Disney ride. They keep pushing the devils elbow buoys out and making that stretch longer to go through.

It is an inlet. The buoy in the middle screws people up more than not. I would pull them out as drawn so people come off plane and do not go full send right in the entry.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Some people are pretty responsible, and understand the blind corner heading in. There are others that hit that entrance wide open. What gets really stupid is when you have someone hammering it at the bouys leaving, and someone racing to the bouys from the river.

If the bouys were placed diagonally, in line from the beach to the reeds, they would not impede river traffic. As it is, anyone with the bare minimum of brain activity slows down as they hit the turn anyway.

I don't know if that would have made a difference or not in last years incident. Too late for those families if so. More than anything, probably someone being reckless, and bouys won't stop the actions of those people.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
More than anything imho it’s tge dorks leaving. I’ve been swamped more than once as i come off plane well before and guys hit the second buoy and it’s like a green light on the drag strip to them. Common sense is not more in life, absolutely nothing common with it.

Singleton

Reaction score
I grew up boating in IL, IN and WI. You always had to be no wake before entering INTO a channel. The drawing posted IMO is how it should be marked and how I operate.
With that said I can no longer count the number of time people entering the channel have almost run up my stern. Getting to the point I don’t head north unless it is Sunday morning

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Rdp kind of keeps me in line when I’m on the water. Everyone knows my boat and I don’t need any call out threads so I behave entering and exiting and always follow the no wake zones. :)

Socalx09

Reaction score
Unfortunately if we want to head up river, its on weekdays. When friends or family went to go, we will leave Windsor Friday at 930am and head up. Everyone eats at Pirates or Topock and we are back in Havasu before traffic starts. Seen one too many incidents of wreckless behavior. Maybe the buoys need to be moved, but until people learn how to operate a boat safely, there are always going to be issues.

Made the mistake of breaking this rule a year or so ago. A pontoon boat was in a weird spot and we couldn’t pass as traffic was going heavy the other way and the other lane was too close and the boats wake would affect the pontoon. The no wake zone on devils elbow was about 30 seconds ahead. One boat decides he doesn’t want to wait, gets close to us and proceeds to cut the pontoon off. That pontoon boat was rocking and the guy speeds up for 15 seconds and then stops for the no wake zone.

Some people are always going to be racing into and out of buoys whenever it’s located regardless of if it’s safe or not.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
If common sense was actually common still this would be a nonissue... however as Singleton said i as well act as tho the buoys are were i said they should be in my opinion, and have numerous situations were i thought someone was coming up my ass, as well have been flat swamped by assholes who hit the buoy and pin it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't know if I do it right or wrong, but leaving Pirate's I treat like an intersection...I idle out to where I see both up and down the river, make sure I'm clear and go. Coming back in, I make it a point to come in from the north, and at idle before buoys. That's where I launch from now, but we head out early, and back on trailer before 6pm. So far so good.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
If common sense was actually common still this would be a nonissue... however as Singleton said i as well act as tho the buoys are were i said they should be in my opinion, and have numerous situations were i thought someone was coming up my ass, as well have been flat swamped by assholes who hit the buoy and pin it.

Hell yeah. I’ve had this a bunch. Some cock bite pins it past me like I’m a 90 year old lady in the fast lane. The no wake should be extended as you said. I won’t take off until I get out far enough to see down river. Some of the assholes cut the corner to tight coming up river and you will have a head on. Also as you’ve mentioned the water right there can get big from the lack of common sense. I’ve had to sit there and wait for the water to calm down before trying to take off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
There is as much risk in moving it out as there is leaving it where it is in my mind.

The dumb people are not going to go away, no matter where you put the bouys. If you move the bouys you are only moving the problems you describe from a protected lower traffic area, out to the middle of the narrow, high traffic waterway, turning idiot boaters entering Pirates into slow moving chicanes for other idiot boaters to run though.

In short, I don’t know if you gain anything by moving them.

Last edited:

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
It's difficult for a non-government entity to place buoys on a Navigable Waterway. In order to (legally) do it, there must be concurrence and written approval from all applicable Agencies. In that area, it would be San Berdoo County, Cal Fish and Game, Cal Dept of Boating and Waterways, State of Arizona, Arizona Game and Fish, Mohave County, US Bureau of Reclamation, US Coast Guard, US Army Corps of Engineers, and a host of others.

By putting them within the opening to the cove, and not in the River channel, the above approval isn't needed, as they are inside of the "line of demarcation" between the two points of the cove entrance.

gqchris

Reaction score
Like mentioned, I dont go to the river on weekends anymore. Its amazing to me how many people feel the route to pirates is the 405 freeway. Fuck all that noise.

Midweek for this old man.

DWC

Reaction score
I’m not against slowing people down coming in. Getting out of there in a flatty could get a little sketchy. People treated the old bouys like a finish line. There are some big wakes on the way out. Low free board at idle can’t be a lot of fun with a big boat plowing in.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
There is as much risk in moving it out as there is leaving it where it is in my mind.

The dumb people are not going to go away, no matter where you put the bouys. If you move the bouys you are only moving the problems you describe from a protected lower traffic area, out to the middle of the narrow, high traffic waterway, turning idiot boaters entering Pirates into slow moving chicanes for other idiot boaters to run though.

In short, I don’t know if you gain anything by moving them.
There will always be risk, and even tho i am not an advocate on more law it’s the safety in my opinion. I took 7 years off of boating and i sweat either i was to young and dumb to notice so many fuqtards or its gotten extremely worse.

Maybe I’ll just grab my scuba shit one weekday and pull them out. Just do it 5-6 different times in the next few months and then it’ll just look like an occurrence of good will lol.

Singleton

Reaction score
It's difficult for a non-government entity to place buoys on a Navigable Waterway. In order to (legally) do it, there must be concurrence and written approval from all applicable Agencies. In that area, it would be San Berdoo County, Cal Fish and Game, Cal Dept of Boating and Waterways, State of Arizona, Arizona Game and Fish, Mohave County, US Bureau of Reclamation, US Coast Guard, US Army Corps of Engineers, and a host of others.

By putting them within the opening to the cove, and not in the River channel, the above approval isn't needed, as they are inside of the "line of demarcation" between the two points of the cove entrance.

That’s the problem. Way too many govt agencies involved! Should not be that difficult.
However, the buoys by the gorge and i40 are set by the LHMA and don’t have all those approvals

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I may have been too young and dumb also, maybe I was one of the dumbasses...
Had kids and got more in tune to safety and common sense.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
That’s the problem. Way too many govt agencies involved! Should not be that difficult.
However, the buoys by the gorge and i40 are set by the LHMA and don’t have all those approvals

They may have been physically placed by LHMA, but they were requested by AZ Game and Fish and San Bernardino County.

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
I don't boat there but if it's such a safety hazard why not simply put 5mph bouy's across the entire river on both sides of the entry? Wouldn't be ideal for folks wanting to roll past there on the river at 100 but I'd suspect it would eliminate the issues at that entrance.

MooreMoney

Reaction score
The picture is not accurate dipiction of the actual entrance. So basing judgement off the picture doesn’t correlate to the actual river entrance.

hallett21

Reaction score
5mph buoys are the finish line [emoji469][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DWC

D19

Reaction score
Sure... you can put all the buoys, enforce speed limits and "feel good" safety precautions your heart desires, but at the end of the day all it does is punish responsible boaters. Idiots will still be idiots regardless of how well you try to inform and protect them. You can't fix stupid.

If you don't feel safe entering and exiting Pirates Cove, then stop going.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I'm not really on the gas until about the blue marks anyway so I can get a view up and down of whats coming or going. Maybe just me. I don't need more restrictions, I'll take care of myself.

DB / HAV

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I'm not really on the gas until about the blue marks anyway so I can get a view up and down of whats coming or going. Maybe just me. I don't need more restrictions, I'll take care of myself.

I agree, same here!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I fear it’s only a matter of time before it is a no wake zone from the pipeline to north of the entrance of pirates. :(

Singleton

Reaction score

That is how I operate. Then again I enjoy relaxing so I just avoid going north from Havasu on Saturdays now. Find a cove and relax with family. Sunday we cruise north, breakfast at Topock then relax at Moabi.

Once Pirates builds the additional cabins on the beach side (across from current ones) and they start limiting beaching on that side, I think I am done. Sunday will become breakfast, cruise to Needles bridge and float down the river.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Well your in the majority, but that is only 60% the other 35% come off plane at the buoys and skin it at the buoys leaving. The other 5% are the ones that just keep hauling ass through the whole channel, we saw one of those last Sunday as well.