WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pirates Cove: River info

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I was able to persuade my HR folks that a "river meeting" would be safe and fun for my team. I am headed to Pirates Cover the first week in June but I have only been on this part of the river years ago as a kid. My "River" time has always been at Parker, so I am looking for any insights / Hazards surrounding the river near Pirates Cove. Thanks in advance for any heads up.

JSquared

M31
Reaction score
Pirates Cover? I’m assuming you mean Pirates Cove. The river at Pirates is a pretty safe bet. Nice boat launch, sandy peninsulas to setup easy ups and camp fires, a small store and restaurant. Are you camping, rental cottages, RVing, etc?

DWC

Reaction score
Yeah, not much to worry about from Needles bridge to the Sandbar along that stretch. Getting in and out of the channel can be trickiest part depending on how busy and # of PWC. Watch the water levels. Quite a few people get caught sleeping mid-day. Usually a push with extra hands but can get pretty high and dry.
I’ve thought about taking my team out a few times but pretty sure most of them wouldn’t get it.

Last edited:

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
How far up river is it to Needles from Pirates Cove? Isn't Jack Smith up that way? How far to AVI? I'd like to learn that section of river.

DWC

Reaction score
How far up river is it to Needles from Pirates Cove? Isn't Jack Smith up that way? How far to AVI? I'd like to learn that section of river.

I’d guess 10 miles from Jack Smith to Pirates. The Needles bridge is just past Jack Smith. It can get dicey past the bridge especially when water levels are down. We’ve taken the neighbors 23’ cobra a bunch with no issues but I’m too much of a chicken to take mine.
Bully and Don Johnson probably have the best advice on when and how to get to the Avi safely.

JSquared

M31
Reaction score
Agreed, if you’re not familiar with that section, you’re safe heading south from Jack Smith, but heading north towards AVI takes some serious experience and a high water level. Even in the pontoon we take it nice and slow

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score

I can show you from the bridge to our Marina in Willow Valley, I run it in the Tremor even at 2 units, just don’t look down. [emoji23]

Getting to the Avi you’re on your own though!!

Here’s our little gem just south of the marina.
IMG_2450.JPG

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I can show you from the bridge to our Marina in Willow Valley, I run it in the Tremor even at 2 units, just don’t look down. [emoji23]

Here’s our little gem just south of the marina. View attachment 628606
just orienting my self to this picture, CA side is to the right correct?

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Thanks gents! you guys are great, my life has been all flat bottoms til now, the Spectra isn’t that deep but she’s a hell of a lot heavier if i stick her in the sand some place. I rented out 3 cabins at Pirates, we may have a couple folks that want to tent it as well, i hope everyone gets along

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Thanks gents! you guys are great, my life has been all flat bottoms til now, the Spectra isn’t that deep but she’s a hell of a lot heavier if i stick her in the sand some place. I rented out 3 cabins at Pirates, we may have a couple folks that want to tent it as well, i hope everyone gets along

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
From Pirates to Jack Smith (Needless) there is only one sketchy spot, locals call it “The Steps” but where you can see the big overhead mast for the railroad signals you want to hug the AZ side.
From Needles bridge to Rainbow Beach is cereal and easy, but just north of rainbow you gotta huh the AZ side again at the big house on the Ca side then slalom the bout and go back to the middle.
Your then clear till you can see the last house of the Budweiser road housing track at the last three houses huh the AZ side again and by hug i mean make the unknowing nervous as soon as you open to the Willow Valley launch and beaches you are gtg in the middle of the river all the way up to the AVI. Sounds complicated but you can see the currents change at all three of those low spots if you have any river knowledge etc. we did it just last week in my 25’ but I’ve been on the stretch from Davis to i40 bridge since i was a kid.

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
perfect! i grew up on a small river in central cal and it’s the same way, i’ll copy this info down and ideal around a bit to orient my self. thanks again guys

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

12 miles from Needles bridge to Pirates cove. Needles bridge is about a mile up river from Jack Smith

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but going too far North of Pirates on a weekend seems crazier than going South, too many wake boats and way to narrow.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but going too far North of Pirates on a weekend seems crazier than going South, too many wake boats and way to narrow.

Nothing is worse than the area south of pirates, between the rock walls but before the gorge no wake zone. 4' monster boat eating chop! They dont' call it the washing machine for nothing

DWC

Reaction score

I’d may agree on the mega weekends. Moabi is whack a mole for PWC’s on every campsite. Never know where they’re coming out of. Tons of boarders and tubers on the beaches closer to Jack Smith.
Most weekends it’s my favorite stretch of river. Great beaches to pull out the shoes, corn hole, frisbees, foot ball or bochce balls. Nothing better than BigBore’s place on any given weekend.

n8huntsman

Reaction score
Great pic. Is that a drone? Wish I could see all the shallow spots in that detail! I just bought a place on Carob last October. Haven’t gotten the boat out yet. It’s a 28’ Advantage Party Cat XL. Staying to the left headed south, is it so shallow that I need to be on plane? Or can I just go slow, trim up, and idle through till I learn all the spots? Looking at the water release of late, it’s showing 4 units at 2am and continues all day till midnight at the dam. Even after that only goes down to 3 units. Is it about a six hour lag? Will it be that many units all summer or do they start to reduce the flow?

Here’s our little gem just south of the marina. View attachment 628606

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Great pic. Is that a drone? Wish I could see all the shallow spots in that detail! I just bought a place on Carob last October. Haven’t gotten the boat out yet. It’s a 28’ Advantage Party Cat XL. Staying to the left headed south, is it so shallow that I need to be on plane? Or can I just go slow, trim up, and idle through till I learn all the spots? Looking at the water release of late, it’s showing 4 units at 2am and continues all day till midnight at the dam. Even after that only goes down to 3 units. Is it about a six hour lag? Will it be that many units all summer or do they start to reduce the flow?

I’m always, always on plane through that spot, period. I was taught never to come off plane from our marina to the Needles bridge.

On 4 units hugging the AZ side you may be OK.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
You better do your due diligence on tents at Pirate Cove!