WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pizza !

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Pina’s Pizza in Downey is still there. Not bad, but preferred Sal’s mkt. LHC - Rosati’s thin crust is very good. Their deep Chicago style, not a fan.

pavski2

Reaction score
Jonny's Saloon in HB. Get the "Snafu" pastrami pickles and a little mustard, so good. All of their pizza's are great.

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Forget everything you've read. There is only one mecca for pizza...

1660163686040.png

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Also another vote for Rosatis I can walk to the one in Temecula from my house!

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
Domenico's in Belmont Shore.

medium-domenicos-special.jpg

The Domenico Special, extra onions and garlic. 👍

Flat crust and ground ingredients.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
“One bite, everyone knows the rules!”

Menifee, CA - Giovanni’s Pizza (Chicken Alfredo)

Temecula, CA - Stadium Pizza only because that’s where we went when we won our baseball games.
Both of these were good when we lived in SoCa. Damn, we ate a lot of Stadium Pizza. I think I compare all others against it.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Kinda off topic, but who remembers Shakeys cinnamon rolls during the all you can eat buffets?

I loved Shakey's in the 70s, way before cinnamon rolls and buffets. Pizza Chalet in Riverside was another great place. Anyplace with a fireplace has to be good, no matter what kind of food is served, IMO. 😝

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I loved Shakey's in the 70s, way before cinnamon rolls and buffets. Pizza Chalet in Riverside was another great place. Anyplace with a fireplace has to be good, no matter what kind of food is served, IMO. 😝

My Neighbors when I was a kid owned all the Shakey's in the Area, including the original. Eventually, He and some partners bought the company. He was also a former waterski racer.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Pina’s Pizza at Paramount/Firestone in Downey, relatives of Persico’s, was also a great place.

in HB, the only choice for great pizza is Buon Gusto on Warner.
Pina’s and Persico’s are kind of related. After John and Pina divorced John opened up Persico’s but it never garnered the patronage of Pina’s.

retaocleg

Reaction score
Kinda off topic, but who remembers Shakeys cinnamon rolls during the all you can eat buffets?
funny, but everytime i go into a pizza place, my mind instantly goes to shakeys pizza from when i was a kid in so cal.......had a shakeys within distance a kid could travel on a bike(when kids could bike out of sight of their house) to play video games........funny how smells can trigger memories from childhood(pre 10 yrs old)

smell of budweiser to this day and my mind goes to my uncle jim........

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
True story, after 2 yrs in Italy we were wanting to have a US pizza. Came on on vacation, went straight to Shakey’s in HB and realized this was NOT pizza. And we’d previously loved it. The crust is vital and much of that is determined by the local water used. NYC has surprisingly good water. And therefore some really good pizza. Good Luck LHC.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Give El Padrino a try. Probably our favorite in town. A few doors down from Bashas

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Maxx's in BC

Attachments

• PXL_20220811_030942259.jpg
    PXL_20220811_030942259.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 15

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Friends of mine own a bunch of them and eventually bought the company in 2004.
That may be after my neighbors owned the company. I will have to ask my parents about the dates. They were from NorCal, but moved to Texas prior to buying the company.

Edit: It was actually two of my neighbors that bought the company. They bought it in 1984 and sold it in 1989.

Last edited:

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I thought so too, then we started getting them in Havasu.

When we get into town we may grab one on the drive in, or I will go to Smiths to shop after getting into town and grab the pizza on the way home. Wife kicks on the oven, I throw the pie in when I get there, 15 mins later we are eating.

We like it because it is pretty good and fits into the schedule/transportation program.
Getting one and letting in set awhile make the crust rise a little more and I think it is better that way.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Marri’s pizza in Long Beach. Best Italian food in Long Beach. Been eating here since 1967!
Marri’s pizza in Long Beach. Best Italian food in Long Beach. Been eating here since 1967!
… When I lived aboard Marri’s was a place that we would go to every couple months… Pretty sure I autographed their wall with a felt tip pen???…Didn’t Marri’s change locations sometime in the 80s???…

retaocleg

Reaction score
That may be after my neighbors owned the company. I will have to ask my parents about the dates. They were from NorCal, but moved to Texas prior to buying the company.

Edit: It was actually two of my neighbors that bought the company. They bought it in 1984 and sold it in 1889.
1889, must be very rustic😎

timstoy

Reaction score
… When I lived aboard Marri’s was a place that we would go to every couple months… Pretty sure I autographed their wall with a felt tip pen???…Didn’t Marri’s change locations sometime in the 80s???…
Marri’s had a location in downtown Long Beach and I believe in OC that are now closed. We have gone to the Marri’s on Palo Verde and Stearns in east Long Beach since 1967. They don’t have the Italian newspaper on the walls anymore but they have a framed newspaper with all the names and writings hanging on the wall like the old days. The food is still great with little change of the menu over the years. As a bonus to us we can walk home if we need to!

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Toppers Pizza. I think they are only in Ventura County though. Great and always consistent.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Linda's in havasu has good pizza dough and store made Italian meats for them.

Linda's Italian foods next to Safeway is a great little store, family run. Art and Linda opened the store YEARS ago. Art was a butcher for Lucky grocery stores and retired to LHC. He had all the contacts for great meat suppliers. Art passed away earlier this year, a great man who will be missed. THEY HAVE A FROZEN LASAGNA THAT IS AWESOME. The hot dogs are very good - I know weird, not Italian....lol but their sausage's are awesome.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Mission Viejo - Sabitino's great Italian food, awesome pizza. (Alicia and Olympiad)

dread Pirate

Reaction score
My Neighbors when I was a kid owned all the Shakey's in the Area, including the original. Eventually, He and some partners bought the company. He was also a former waterski racer.

The one in Sacramento? Can't remember what street is was on. I have stories about that place,,, 😂

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Yes,
The one in Sacramento? Can't remember what street is was on. I have stories about that place,,, 😂

Yes, they owed all of them in Sacramento and Placer Counties, including the original on J street.

Spill the beans on those stories.... 😃😜

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Yes,

Yes, they owed all of them in Sacramento and Placer Counties, including the original on J street.

Spill the beans on those stories.... 😃😜
J Street! Thank you! That was the high school lunch spot. I sprained my ankle jumping out of the back of my friends mega lifted Toyota there. Still feel the pain today.

Have you ever heard any of the pellet gun stories from that place?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
J Street! Thank you! That was the high school lunch spot. I sprained my ankle jumping out of the back of my friends mega lifted Toyota there. Still feel the pain today.

Have you ever heard any of the pellet gun stories from that place?
No. I think I have only been to that location once, when I was a kid. I didn't live in Sacramento proper.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
San Clemente - Sonny's
LHC - Red Baron
Durango (close to ski area) - Schoolhouse
Newport Beach - The Pizza Bakery
San Carlos - Mountain Mike's

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Linda's Italian foods next to Safeway is a great little store, family run. Art and Linda opened the store YEARS ago. Art was a butcher for Lucky grocery stores and retired to LHC. He had all the contacts for great meat suppliers. Art passed away earlier this year, a great man who will be missed. THEY HAVE A FROZEN LASAGNA THAT IS AWESOME. The hot dogs are very good - I know weird, not Italian....lol but their sausage's are awesome.
I LOVE their Lasagna !