WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Places that are gone.......but were there in your youth.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
For me it was Western Auto in Yucaipa they had everything or at least I thought they did when I was a kid! BB guns, drums go carts everything you ever wanted along with auto parts for dad! The ads in the link below are from before my time but you get the idea when you read the article!

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Ontario motor speedway (I crashed there chasing a girl)

Irvine Ampitheatre, I was backstage for Ozzy in '82, drove the equipment to LAX afterward (best food ever backstage)

Riverside raceway, the only track I raced my H1R on, scary fast.

Cruising Van Nuys Blvd, Bobs big boy to the Super Shop.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Noel’s Restaurant, age served was very comfortable, at the water tower across from Sam’s on PCH. We’d confidently order numerous VO & 7’s. Worked for us. Then have great lobster dinners. Still wet from skiing at Marine Stadium.

Pierpoint Landing and Pacific Sportfishing in LB. Many of their boats are still operating today.

Last edited:

wishiknew

Reaction score
How about Claude Osteen's cycle park in what is now Phillips Ranch.... Heck I remember Corona MX where they had the BMX track downhill... raced the Big Momma Mother's Day race there...
Worked Phillips ranch after Claude Ostend closed rode every day after work

Cdog

Reaction score
Ascot racetrack
OC drag strip
Tijuana Inn restaurant in Gardena
Woolworth dept store
Riverside raceway
White Front
Loves BBQ

You beat me to Loves bbq. That place was awesome

wishiknew

Reaction score
I was thinking when I was driving home last weekend from the river via Rice; these places use to be open when I was a kid. I remembered that Rice had a gas station and Desert Center was open. Then the Randsburg thread caused me to think again why. Why did these things/places close? Was it the river or desert lost its losing its luster with the new generation? Is it that cars get better mileage, so they don't need to stop as often? Was it that these towns were created from commerce long ago? For DC and Rice there were barracks out there during the war so there was a lot of coming/going.

Either way it's sad to see places go away. What other notable places are gone? What are your thoughts on why they go away?
In 1970 the guy that owned the gas station in rice cut all the straps on 3 train cars loaded with drywall they left and all the drywall flew off on the curve above rice I was on many nite trips to retrieve drywall for houses in moonridge marina the guy from rice thought he owned the drywall that’s why we went at nite only

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
California alligator farm by knott’s
Japanese deer park in buena park
The old Huntington beach (before it turned into mission Viejo by the sea)
Southern hills golfland
Highway 39 drive in
Radio city in cypress
Safari sams in HB (now a surf museum)
OCIR
Hobby city
Racing orange ymca bmx
Irvine bmx track (what ever happened to that)
The Harbor bmx track in San Pedro
Liberty park bmx in Westminster before and after it was s skate park( in the 70’s)
Garden grove when is was suburban and still had strawberry fields around
Man OC used to be bitchen I could go on

Javajoe

Reaction score
EF9F7D64-E440-4EED-8585-15897BC06F1B.jpeg

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The Fallbrook Country Club Golf Coarse. .

Last edited:

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Indian Dunes Mx
Saddleback Mx
Carlsbad Mx
Ascot
Saugas Speedway
Country Club in Reseda
Gazzaris Hollywood
Lions Drag strip
Riverside Raceway

mbrown2

Reaction score
More used motorcylces at Bert's Motorcycle than new....and not the fleece mall it is today...

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I read some fishing stuff in this thread, how about Fisherman's Retreat out behind Beaumont and Banning?

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Malibu Grand Prix in Northridge.

22549640_10155707951049463_8644815049317912093_n.jpg

B6qJVam.jpg

We had a Malibu Grand Prix in Sacramento. It was right against Hwy 50, so we drove by it all the time. You had to be 16 to drive. It closed before I was 16, so I never got to do it. 😥😥

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… Tijuana Trim… On Avenida Revolution…in Tijuana Mexico in the mid 60s I don’t think there was anywhere or anyone that could crank out quality upholstery like Tijuana Trim… They were not of Tony Nancy quality but … For hopping across the border to get cheap upholstery when you were a kid… It was just amazing …some of the quality that came out of there…👍😎…(Camarina came in a close second)…

caribbean20

Reaction score
Funny story. We lived in Hong Kong for 3 years. We’re in the bar district, place is packed. Had my Poop Deck T on. Guy across the street recognizes it and yells “POOP DECK, I used to life guard there.”
EB6EC559-ED6F-4169-B4F7-C3589B12F731.jpeg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Indian Dunes Mx
Saddleback Mx
Carlsbad Mx
Ascot
Saugas Speedway
Country Club in Reseda
Gazzaris Hollywood
Lions Drag strip
Riverside Raceway

We used to go to Gazzaris frequently 1986 - 1990. My Buddy's band played there a lot, and a mural of them was on the building. Loved that place.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
51 posts before Saugus speedway and only 1 follow up?
How about Whitman speedway?
And, how about boat races on Hansen dam?
And Sports Valley

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
I read some fishing stuff in this thread, how about Fisherman's Retreat out behind Beaumont and Banning?
that was still there i think a year or two ago when i passed by. it is/was in san timeteo canyon

NicPaus

Reaction score
Vince’s spaghetti & Farrell’s ice cream in Torrance. I remember birthdays there as a little chump.
My Lady always talks about Vinces. Forget where we were recently she saw the old owner. I always liked the Seafood broiler up Hawthorne. Worked across the parking lot for a while.

She said Farrells turned into Ed's, now El pollo inka. We eat at El pollo inka regularly but PV location. Handels is around the corner and best ice cream around. Hit it last night for the Tuesday special.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I was there every weekend, and the last night of the Esplanade when the RB cops came thru and ended it forever. I walk my dog there in the evenings and think it almost daily how good those times were.

What about the Burger King on Torrance Blvd. after the Esplanade?
Burger King now Wendy's? By Bishop. We used to hang at the burger King by Peninsula. Tore down now mod pizza. Cruise the Esplanade on the weekends. Locals at the Village for drinks and dinner.

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
Honda haven.
The old Desmond Bridge
Pier point
Ports of Call (its a shadow of what it used to be )
Shady acres mini golf (hell ALL the mini golf places)
OG Plow boys in Hawaiian gardens,
And the go cart track next door
Drag boats in Marine Stadium (watched from my Boston Whaler beginning at age 10 or so )
Circle , Los Altos, Hi way 39 drive ins
78 cent gasoline.
Zodys
Fedco
Two guys department store
and much more

And the thing I miss the most
The "Good Ol' Days"

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
My Lady always talks about Vinces. Forget where we were recently she saw the old owner. I always liked the Seafood broiler up Hawthorne. Worked across the parking lot for a while.

She said Farrells turned into Ed's, now El pollo inka. We eat at El pollo inka regularly but PV location. Handels is around the corner and best ice cream around. Hit it last night for the Tuesday special.
I believe the Vinces owner got offed back in the day if I remember the story right. There is still a Farrells in Rancho I believe. The one in Riverside didn't survive.
Is Ynot still around? Miss that place.

Cdog

Reaction score
I believe the Vinces owner got offed back in the day if I remember the story right. There is still a Farrells in Rancho I believe. The one in Riverside didn't survive.
I had y not maybe back in 2014. Was in town doing some car stuff & had a nitto tire separation so went to the America tire a couple of doors down. Good stuff.

There was a farrells in the mission Viejo mall in 2018 ish. Took my kids there. They had a lot of fun.

I think the last family meal we had with my gramps before he died in 2011 was at Vince’s there off of Hawthorn. Good memories

NicPaus

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Yeah. My Dad's office is across the street. Breakfast sucks now but lunch is good. Same owner him and his wife working all the time. Ate at El Torito tonight just down the way with the big black bull out front. Happy hour in the bar every night. Schooners of Modelo and Margaritas for $6. Tacos vampiros are bomb.