WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Places that are gone.......but were there in your youth.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Is Ynot still around? Miss that place.

Yeah. My Dad's office is across the street. Breakfast sucks now but lunch is good. Same owner him and his wife working all the time. Ate at El Torito tonight just down the way with the big black bull out front. Happy hour in the bar every night. Schooners of Modelo and Margaritas for $6. Tacos vampiros are bomb.
[/QUOTE]
I miss me some El Paso Cantina happy hour and Rizzos..oh..and Acapulco Cafe on Carson.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
National Lumber
Rancho Lumber on Beach Blvd
Mission Yahama then Mission Motorsports
Sports Chalet

In Mammoth....Grumpy's

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Skateland

h_2000-crm-la-skateland0-f331999d5056a36_f3319d35-5056-a36f-230e2447e01e8bae.jpg

skateland___20192830545.png

LDN-L-SKATELAND-0326-06-1.jpg

Did you go to Skateland West out in Westland?

Your ad here

Reaction score
Dana Point pre 2004.
Has anyone been to A's Burger off Avery lately? Is it still there? I was there 2 months ago and Caltrans had the Chevron and Carl's jr fenced off but A's was still there operating.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Burger King now Wendy's? By Bishop. We used to hang at the burger King by Peninsula. Tore down now mod pizza. Cruise the Esplanade on the weekends. Locals at the Village for drinks and dinner.

Yeah, thats the BK, it was happening after and before partys, and after cruising the Esplanade, that was around 86-89

dirtslinger2

Reaction score

Yeah. My Dad's office is across the street. Breakfast sucks now but lunch is good. Same owner him and his wife working all the time. Ate at El Torito tonight just down the way with the big black bull out front. Happy hour in the bar every night. Schooners of Modelo and Margaritas for $6. Tacos vampiros are bomb.
[/QUOTE]

YNOT is still there.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Dana Point pre 2004.
Has anyone been to A's Burger off Avery lately? Is it still there? I was there 2 months ago and Caltrans had the Chevron and Carl's jr fenced off but A's was still there operating.
Yes, Dana and San Juan (Avery Pkwy). A stablemate for my Kids who graduated from Capo Valley HS. Really good burrito's.

The freeway construction will still be underway for the next 20 years it seems. Really has fucked up our way of life around here. My son was in the 8th grade when the shit show started and he's now starting his 2nd year at Saddleback College and I would say they are 30% done.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Old School Lampost Pizzas after High School Football Game
Pizza Hut inside West Covina Fashion Plaza after Football Games
Zodies (sp) was an awesome store
Slides at Puddingstone for family fun days on the weekends
Cliftons Restaurant-soo good as a kid (west covina)
Cruising Whittier (east la) as a kid on Sundays.
Classic Boardsmanville with Chuck and Jeannie in the old days. Popping my head at 11 pm praying to see the red strobe light on signifying it was still open and getting a pizza at midnight with beer.
Skate Junction was always fun

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I remember the Gas Station in Rice. When we were teenagers (16ish) in the late 70’s we would always stop in there and buy our beer for the weekend before heading to Parker to camp at Buckskin or LaPaz. They would sell to anybody. There was zero law enforcement out there in those days. Not sure what caused the demise of that place? If anybody knows?

I remember spending time at Sports Valley in Parker around the same time. The drinking age in Arizona was 18 back then so we would rarely get carded, lol.

Damn I can’t believe our parents would let all of us 16 year old boys go off camping by ourselves with no adult supervision. It’s a different World now!

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Tha Aquarius Theater with their weekend all night locked in concerts.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I miss me some El Paso Cantina happy hour and Rizzos..oh..and Acapulco Cafe on Carson.
[/QUOTE]

El Paso got bulldozed now its a Wendy's. Eat at that Wendy's for lunch when working close by. New York Deli still next door eat there for lunch also.

Acapulco gone. Few different spots have been there since. Best Mexican is from deli at Numero Uno down the street for lunch. Taco sinaloa still by there. El Gallitos taco truck parks by there. Bomb shrimp tacos.

Rizzos moved to Lomita. Same owner. I eat lunch there . Turkey sandwich extra dressing. Occasionally the meatball. Brother gets pizza and breadsticks there for all the kids parties.

SoCalZero

Reaction score

[/QUOTE]
Used to go there all the time. Went there recently. Isn’t the owners name Tony and Tony backwards is Ynot?

mbrown2

Reaction score
Old School Lampost Pizzas after High School Football Game
Pizza Hut inside West Covina Fashion Plaza after Football Games
Zodies (sp) was an awesome store
Slides at Puddingstone for family fun days on the weekends
Cliftons Restaurant-soo good as a kid (west covina)
Cruising Whittier (east la) as a kid on Sundays.
Classic Boardsmanville with Chuck and Jeannie in the old days. Popping my head at 11 pm praying to see the red strobe light on signifying it was still open and getting a pizza at midnight with beer.
Skate Junction was always fun
We grew up near each other sounds like.... Skate Junction, Skate Country, Malibu, Showboat.... PJ Pizzaz!

Then when we turned 21 we would do the Friday night circuit.... no cell phones we just knew where to meet.. Friday's (Citrus still there), from there on to Charlie Browns (not there) for some dancing when the DJ came on at 10pm ($1 dollar omelet guy too) then to Safari Bar (not there) around midnight.... some great Fridays.....

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Sambo's was the bomb.....it was literally cancelled way before cancel culture was cool :)
For a long time, the family still kept one open in Santa Barbara I believe. That was 15-20 years ago, last I heard. The owner, son or grandson maybe, had a nice 40 Ford wagon I worked on.
We grew up near each other sounds like.... Skate Junction, Skate Country, Malibu, Showboat.... PJ Pizzaz!

Then when we turned 21 we would do the Friday night circuit.... no cell phones we just knew where to meet.. Friday's (Citrus still there), from there on to Charlie Browns (not there) for some dancing when the DJ came on at 10pm ($1 dollar omelet guy too) then to Safari Bar (not there) around midnight.... some great Fridays.....
You must be a tad older than me, but that was the area I grew up in. Family diner at the Mariposa, or a pie from Marie Callenders...high school we used to hang out at Shooter's, pool hall on Citrus.

mbrown2

Reaction score
For a long time, the family still kept one open in Santa Barbara I believe. That was 15-20 years ago, last I heard. The owner, son or grandson maybe, had a nice 40 Ford wagon I worked on.

You must be a tad older than me, but that was the area I grew up in. Family diner at the Mariposa, or a pie from Marie Callenders...high school we used to hang out at Shooter's, pool hall on Citrus.
I went to Sambo's in SB in the last 15 years...it was still there...not sure about now.

I went to Shooters to....fun spot ...grew up in La Puente...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I went to Sambo's in SB in the last 15 years...it was still there...not sure about now.

I grew up in Covina, Pops' family was in La Puente and Bassett...and my wife was from Valinda. Yep, pretty familiar with the area 😂

Finally made it

Reaction score
Fudruckers
Bonkers
Flacky Jakes
Topanga Mall ice rink
Hamburger Hamlet
Dunes cycle park
Saugas speedway. We were there for the last race. Loved the train races and the figure 8s
Jeremias restaurant in Northridge
Gemco
Fedco
All sort of race tracks. Drags and road courses and roundy rounds

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Dana Point pre 2004.
A's is still there and still good.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I remember the Gas Station in Rice. When we were teenagers (16ish) in the late 70’s we would always stop in there and buy our beer for the weekend before heading to Parker to camp at Buckskin or LaPaz. They would sell to anybody. There was zero law enforcement out there in those days. Not sure what caused the demise of that place? If anybody knows?

I remember spending time at Sports Valley in Parker around the same time. The drinking age in Arizona was 18 back then so we would rarely get carded, lol.

Damn I can’t believe our parents would let all of us 16 year old boys go off camping by ourselves with no adult supervision. It’s a different World now!

no kidding. now a 40yr old needs a permission slip to go out into public places

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
For me it was Western Auto in Yucaipa they had everything or at least I thought they did when I was a kid! BB guns, drums go carts everything you ever wanted along with auto parts for dad! The ads in the link below are from before my time but you get the idea when you read the article!

Funny to see this, I have a 20 gauge from Western Auto.
20220818_085515.jpg

havasuhusker

Reaction score
Metro center mall Phoenix. Watched hockey games as a really young guy, played video games there when I was I still young and then watched some people tear it up as vans skate park as a teenager.

Bill and Ted's excellent adventure was even filmed there too!
Same. Spent ungodly amounts playing Ivan Stewart's Offroad!

My friend's were in Bill and Ted's...they are the redheaded twins in the Metro scenes.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Mine is a local neighborhood store. I rode my bike there for candy in 78 when I was 6 years old. Would buy cigarettes there from 11 years old and into my 20's. The Korean owners would be jailed today for selling smokes to minors. It was our hang out. Still a store there, but its not the same. Tore down the original store in 04 and built a new one. I miss the old one.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is still there and open!

Taboma

Reaction score
I mean by now, I'm missing about 95% of pretty much everything falls under By-Gone things and places. But one that stands out I truly miss are days like these.
Taking the skiff to Catalina after school and bringing home a nice bass for dinner, or me and the boys, tossing beers and a few tuna. But mostly just knowing I'd made dad proud. 😁;)

No really, fishing used to be a whole lot better. 😘

PS: Thanks for all the interesting member contributions, my head is reeling as I read all these places and things that I recognize and how so many I'd forgotten were part of my past. Cool Thread 👍

BSB Catalina Isl..jpg

Tuna day.jpg

Bear Down

Reaction score

OK...

Here we go for some flashbacks...Seems like @mbrown2 and @monkeyswrench are within stones reach of my age 47.

Fridays used to be the Shit in the 90s... I grew up in LP and Valinda for my later years Amat '93

I miss these clubs soo badley

Red Onion (portos)
Fantasia (puente hills)
Florentine Gardens (el monte)
Safari bar was the Meat market for sure...LOVED that place... before it became Bjs.
Map Points in High School since we had no cell phones.
Shooters was the shit back in the day.... AAAAhhhhh the memories! I could go on, but i am feeling really old..

boatnam2

Reaction score
The go cart track on PCH next to Torrance airport, uncle in law owned the place and i could go as many laps as i wanted as a kid, a kid flipped one on a one in a million deal and dies in said uncles arms and track was closed.

MOUZER

Reaction score
didnt read them all...

Ascott raceway gardena ca

marineland palos verdes

GEMCO

naugles

pup and taco

crowdless river trips

Sundown marine beach blvd HB

surf shack beach blvd anaheim ca

Plow boys market lincoln ave carson ca

RVRKID

Reaction score
I believe the Vinces owner got offed back in the day if I remember the story right. There is still a Farrells in Rancho I believe. The one in Riverside didn't survive.
I'm pretty sure it was the son that got offed on his porch in Riverside or Redlands, there still have one in Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario.
Farrells closed a few years back.
Places that closed for me:
Infield at Fontana Speedway after 2023
El Gato Gordo
Sneakers
Buffalo Inn
Pipeline
Go Karts in Pomona
Best-not Best Buy
Islands in Rancho and Montclair-Beer was ice cold
Old School Havasu-Hussongs, Tiki Terrace...

240Hallett

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was the son that got offed on his porch in Riverside or Redlands, there still have one in Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario.
Farrells closed a few years back.
Places that closed for me:
Infield at Fontana Speedway after 2023
El Gato Gordo
Sneakers
Buffalo Inn
Pipeline
Go Karts in Pomona
Best-not Best Buy
Islands in Rancho and Montclair-Beer was ice cold
Old School Havasu-Hussongs, Tiki Terrace...
That’s gonna suck about the speedway.
Buffalo chips and beers!
Do you remember bartender Nate at the Rancho Islands restaurant?

Taboma

Reaction score
Dated a real cutie from Charter Oaks HS back in 66'. A rather long distance relationship back then for a kid from the Tustin area, but I'd met her at Lake Arrowhead.
Reading this thread and how many of you fall into an age group similar to my own kids, it's not a huge stretch that I might have "Known" your mom :oops:😂;)
If so, you were very fortunate and f*ck no, I'm not any of yawl's daddy. :eek:🤣

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
You
Yeah, thats the BK, it was happening after and before partys, and after cruising the Esplanade, that was around 86-89

You cruised Esplanade before the stop signs went in....I may know someone who mashed through blowing them all after they were put in. 😁

HOOTER SLED-

Reaction score
Oh yea...I think it was Gallitos truck....but we used to go to it and it was over by Harbor Park I believe near Normandie and PCH...near Kaiser. My wife still talks about those tacos...😂

El Paso got bulldozed now its a Wendy's. Eat at that Wendy's for lunch when working close by. New York Deli still next door eat there for lunch also.

Acapulco gone. Few different spots have been there since. Best Mexican is from deli at Numero Uno down the street for lunch. Taco sinaloa still by there. El Gallitos taco truck parks by there. Bomb shrimp tacos.

Rizzos moved to Lomita. Same owner. I eat lunch there . Turkey sandwich extra dressing. Occasionally the meatball. Brother gets pizza and breadsticks there for all the kids parties.
[/QUOTE]