WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Places that are gone.......but were there in your youth.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
My wife was once the “front door girl” (took your money) at the Cinnamon Cinder for Mickey Brown Mgr and partner with Bob Eubanks.
… The Cininimonn Cinder in Studio City on Ventura Boulevard turned into the Magic Mushroom which was a very psychedelic night club …no booze Hansens organic drinks and some of the greatest music I ever heard …so many bands played there before they became famous… but the magic mushroom historically gets very little press???…

Last edited:

Oso Viejo

Reaction score
Free parking along PCH, Oxnard to Laguna

OCIR and Lion’s

Golden Bear in HB

Palace Theatre in Hollywood

The {Old} Crazy Horse in Santa Ana

Palomino Club in NoHo

Tower Records

Belisles in GG

Mazzotti’s in HB

Holly House in Whittier

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
Tava Lanes Bowling Alley
Riverside Raceway x 10
Old Vegas & the 99¢ shrimp cocktails 🍤 $5.99 steak and eggs.
Warehouse Records/Tower Records
Thom McAnn Shoes

And not a place but what happened to PeeChee folders?

And Vince’s Spaghetti still on Holt in Ontario . . . since 1945.

“Mrs. Lucky”

B7CE34B7-1482-4DAC-A716-DC1D8ADFCEB5.png
24734818-AFDB-4BA1-B8F4-ED5D7D0DF434.png
375912D9-8EF9-49C9-AEAA-BCF9A5714133.png

Last edited:

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Tava Lanes Bowling Alley
Riverside Raceway x 10
Thom McAnn Shoes

“Mrs. Lucky”

View attachment 1147705 View attachment 1147706 View attachment 1147707
I believe you can still find Pee Chees......but you still gotta add the afros though. 😂😂

Oh...and it was Wherehouse Records....😁
And don't forget Licorice Pizza. 🤘

Lucky Larry

Reaction score
I believe you can still find Pee Chees......but you still gotta add the afros though. 😂😂

Oh...and it was Wherehouse Records....😁
And don't forget Licorice Pizza. 🤘
I thought there was an H in there ~ even googled it to check ~ and Warehouse came up. 😕. Thank uou, I prefer to be accurate. 😁😁

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
My younger brother did side cars with the Mathersons out of Mission Yamaha.
View attachment 1147146
The land got sold, they had no choice but to go big or go home and big they went. I got my motorhome stuck up there once. There's a story.

Mission Motorsports thrived for years however closed about 1 1/2 years ago. I spent some $$ at MY as I had a Banshee mental condition back in the 90's.
Best people the Mathersons, always friendly even when they went big over off Bake and Moulton. Even surviving the death of John and growing.

Great picture!!

wishiknew

Reaction score
Tava Lanes Bowling Alley
Riverside Raceway x 10
Thom McAnn Shoes

“Mrs. Lucky”

Tava Lanes Bowling Alley
Riverside Raceway x 10
Thom McAnn Shoes

“Mrs. Lucky”

that menu must have been from Vince’s Glendora as it was the only one that had lasagna

Last edited:

cheezpanel

Reaction score
Aquarius Roller Rink in La Mesa
Family Fun Center in La Mesa
El Cajon Bowl on 2nd st.
Marshall Scotty’s in El Cajon
Big Oak Ranch in Dehesa

There’s a ton more places down this way, but no fun for others if I name them all…lol!
I was thinking THESE also. Plus...
Doodle Burger La Mesa
Square Pan Pizza 2nd Street
Oshman's Sporting Goods Parkway Plaza

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
"Mad Man Muntz" on Roscoe, across the street from Budweiser Brewery. All the latest 4-8 tracks to listen to on headsets and buxom young girls playing the tapes of your choice.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Man our paths had to cross at some point!, I think I’ve been to every place you mentioned in Long Beach and with the 50 cent gas we have to be close in age. Did you ever eat at Russell’s hamburgers and pies on Atlantic across from the Crest theater? They had great food. My Mom was the manager in the outside drug department at the original Von’s on Atlantic Ave. She would take me to work with her once a week in the summertime and I would dust, read and arrange the magazine rack and mostly got in her way. We would go to lunch at Russell’s and then she give me money to go across the street to the Creast theater for the afternoon double feature. I liked going up to the Lounge upstairs, it was such a beautiful theater I always thought it should have been preserved. Sometimes I would go to Towne theater across from Vons depending on the movie. Rode skateboards in Shear park and checked out the bikes down the street at Long Beach Honda. It was a great time to grow up in LB!

Small world.
I lived on grew up on 46th st, behind Vons. We tried to move to June Lake when I was in second grade, but only lasted a year, a school bond issue failed and a lot of families with kids left. My mom shopped at Vons until 1978, when they sold the house for the move north (up here). My dear friend worked at that Vons too. Steve Saybrook...
I was up north when they sold, needed to get on with College and found the town I belonged in.
Yes, I remember Russell's, we ate there, and Hamburger Henry's too!
Do you remember Parks Texaco Station, and Kens Restaurant with the Polar Bear in the window? My mom got coupons or stamps or something for buying gas at Parks. She saved them up and got me a cool Tonka style Texaco Tanker...I still have it over 50 years later.

@stephenkatsea @oldboatsrule

Wife and I met senior year at Jordan. We are both Class of 76...
Yes, it was a good time to grow up there. We could hear the Fuel Cars at Lions on big race nights.
Lions, OCIR...(remember the Fox Hunt?) great places to spend time...and all gone.
I left for the north end of the state 4 weeks after graduation...wife and I did the long distance romance thing while we did the college deal and married in 1980.

Last edited:

timstoy

Reaction score
Small world.
I lived on grew up on 46th st, behind Vons. We tried to move to June Lake when I was in second grade, but only lasted a year, a school bond issue failed and a lot of families with kids left. My mom shopped there until 1978, when they sold the house for the move north.
I was up north by then.
Yes, I remember Russell's, we ate there, and Hamburger Henry's too!
Do you remember Parks Texaco Station, and Kens Restaurant with the Polar Bear in the window? My mom got coupons or stamps or something for buying gas at Parks. She saved them up and got me a cool Tonka style Texaco Tanker...I still have it over 50 years later.

@stephenkatsea @oldboatsrule

Wife and I met senior year at Jordan. We are both Class of 76...
Yes, it was a good time to grow up there. We could hear the Fuel Cars at Lions on big race nights.
Lions, OCIR...(remember the Fox Hunt?) great places to spend time...and all gone.
I left for the north end of the state 4 weeks after graduation...wife and I did the long distance romance thing while we did the college deal and married in 1980.
I remember Parks Texaco had several locations and gave out Green Stamps. I also had a Texaco tanker, don’t know where it went to. Mom probably got it with Green stamps also.Vons gave out Blue stamps that you could redeem for merchandise, same with Green stamps both had stores to take your stamps to. Ate at Hamburger Henry’s, Clearmans North Woods Inn and other 2nd st. places. I’m don’t remember Ken’s off hand. When my mom retired from Vons they had a party for her at a place on Atlantic north of Carson I think it might have been a smorgasbord I can’t remember the name of the place. Went to Lions, OCIR, Fontana, original Irwindale drag strip and TI raceway or Brotherhood later on. Went to Costa Mesa speedway, Irwindale, OCIR, Ascot, Industry hills. My wife and I graduated from Millikan High in 1973 and got married in 1975.

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
City of Orange-
Casey's Bar and Grill
Racer's Pit Stop
CZ/Jawa
Cruising Orange Mall
Orange Engine- Ferdie and Eddie with unlit cigars
Bikeland
Western Sports O'rama- https://bmxsociety.com/topic/44145-western-sports-orama/
Lakeview/La Palma in Anaheim for street racing

Damn we're old!
At 16 I was the first customer to walk into Orange Engine, Ferdie and Eddie treated me like the most important guy in the world, even in my 40’s I would travel from So. Co. to get parts!
Arrow Hardware was the same many trips there to find stuff the big box stores didn’t stock.
Old school bars Sgt. Pepper’s now O’Hara’s, Paul’s, Marty’s and the Olive Pit.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
The Bull and Mouth at UCR. Drinking and hermit crab races.

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
The Golden Bear in HB
Overton Marina at Lake Mead
We used to camp at Overton a week or two at a time, primitive camping at its best, trip every afternoon for ice cream at the cafe!

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Ok this was before my time but does anyone remember when Black angus would turn into a night club after hours?

If you go into a old school black angus the bar area is sunken where the dance floor used to be! I remember my teenage cousins always trying to sneak on the dance floor after a late dinner with family in laguna.

termiteguy

Reaction score
Loved 49ers! The picture of the cowboy and the girl on the doors...

Lake Forest - Bodeckers Sandwich shop, the Iron Mule
That's funny I was sitting here reading all of this and that's one of the places I was thinking about. A side note my wife was a bar tender there for the final year it was open I saw the worst bar fight in there one of the big mugs upside dudes head

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Ok this was before my time but does anyone remember when Black angus would turn into a night club after hours?

If you go into a old school black angus the bar area is sunken where the dance floor used to be! I remember my teenage cousins always trying to sneak on the dance floor after a late dinner with family in laguna.
The old one in Lake Forest, is now Sammy’s, got thrown out when a Black Angus, kind of a Ron White type of story, involving a hat and some big bouncers😜

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… there were a couple of stores from about 57 through 59 that’s sold Sir Guy shirts… One store was it in Sun Valley one was in North Hollywood… We thought we were so cool with our Sir Guy shirts our starched khaki pants and our French toed very shiny shoes😎🤷🏽‍♀️

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Believe wearing a Sir Guy, with the well ironed khakis, also required a particular walk. Just sayin’

framer1

Reaction score
Dupar‘s in Thousand Oaks, if you grew up there you would know what an iconic place it was. Of course they torn it down. Another T.O. One is the back nine of the Los Robles golf course used to be where the Oaks mall is at.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
How about the Boobie Trap, Torrid Zone, Joker, Grand Prix, Pit Stop, Centerfold? I think I missed some.😂

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
We live in Newhall now and will drive into the valley for Cupids and Bear Pit.
Cupids has changed. It’s not the same dog at all.
Bear pit is going away. Word is that corner is going to be one of those giant stucco box’s of apts.

pixrthis

Reaction score
Cupids has changed. It’s not the same dog at all.
Bear pit is going away. Word is that corner is going to be one of those giant stucco box’s of apts.
Bear Pit sold a year or two ago, nobody has mentioned it closing. I’ll be really bummed if they close it, losing Nachos and Loves was traumatic enough.
I like Cupids, they still snap and the chili is still good.