WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Plane crash Santee

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Talk about bad luck. UPS driver hit by plane. RIP guy.

53922747-D0C1-4203-89E3-72456DCB2BBD.png

boatpi

Reaction score
That is a lot of plane, a short trip for a 340.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
News said the plane wasn't coming from nor going to Santee's airport. It didn't crash land, it kamikazeed right on down. Pilot maybe had a heart attack or something?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
News said the plane wasn't coming from nor going to Santee's airport. It didn't crash land, it kamikazeed right on down. Pilot maybe had a heart attack or something?
he was flying to Montgomery field. There’s ATC audio. He got disoriented and flew It straight into the ground. 😥

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Wait. What the hell?

Was that the actual video of the incident?

How can he not under stand pull up?

Goes to show how quick things can go bad.

My father in law crashed his plane when my wife was young. He had mechanical issues while in some fog.

He ran out of altitude before he found a solution.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Wait. What the hell?

Was that the actual video of the incident?

How can he not under stand pull up?

Goes to show how quick things can go bad.

My father in law crashed his plane when my wife was young. He had mechanical issues while in some fog.

He ran out of altitude before he found a solution.
No, was a recreation someone did.

Spatial Disorientation would explain the spiral down to the ground in IMC but a few have pointed out that once clear of the clouds he doesn’t make any attempt to correct. Could point to a medical emergency in the plane. Sadly we’ll never know. 😥😥

CLdrinker

Reaction score
No, was a recreation someone did.

Spatial Disorientation would explain the spiral down to the ground in IMC but a few have pointed out that once clear of the clouds he doesn’t make any attempt to correct. Could point to a medical emergency in the plane. Sadly we’ll never know. 😥😥

Dang that recreation fooled me.

I would guess a medical emergency as well.

ATC kept calling out his altitude dropping and then told him to climb. Any pilot would understand climb.
The pilot was responding but it was like nobody was home.

Weird deal.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Dang that recreation fooled me.

I would guess a medical emergency as well.

ATC kept calling out his altitude dropping and then told him to climb. Any pilot would understand climb.
The pilot was responding but it was like nobody was home.

Weird deal.
Ehh, are you a pilot? (Honest question)

if you haven’t experienced spatial disorientation in IMC (clouds) it’s a motherfucker and people freeze up when nothing makes sense. The clouds were thicker and more solid than the recreation yesterday and with the way the wind was he was most likely getting rocked pretty good with turbulence.

The calm responses are odd… Sad deal no matter what

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Ehh, are you a pilot? (Honest question)

if you haven’t experienced spatial disorientation in IMC (clouds) it’s a motherfucker and people freeze up when nothing makes sense. The clouds were thicker and more solid than the recreation yesterday and with the way the wind was he was most likely getting rocked pretty good with turbulence.

I don’t know Jack shit about flying. Hence my curiosity.

Spatial disorientation, does that make you not understand up from down?

JDKRXW

Reaction score
To me, he got lost (not lost on a map, but spacially lost) when he thought he should be coming out of IMC, and he allowed the plane to get way, way out infront of what he could handle. A 340 Cessna is not a big plane but it's a massive handful if you aren't right on top of it.
Full credit to the controller in trying to get this pilot back on track and in control, but the guy was paralized in making any response other than reading back the controller's instructions.

JDKRXW

Reaction score

Yes.
In addition, you can't tell if you're in a turn or not and you can't even tell if you're upside down or right side up
It's the reason they drill -- trust your instruments no matter what you feel -- into you.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Yes.
In addition, you can't tell if you're in a turn or not and you can't even tell if you're upside down or right side up
It's the reason they drill -- trust your instruments no matter what you feel -- into you.

Interesting. I was thinking you could feel the gravity. But I guess depending on input the G forces would be counter acted and confuse you.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Interesting. I was thinking you could feel the gravity. But I guess depending on input the G forces would be counter acted and confuse you.
Yep, he is exactly right. A descending downward spiral can have exactly 1G and the problem is pulling back only tightens the spiral and makes you go down faster.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yes.

You can't tell if you're upside down ? This isn't zero gravity space, or scuba diving, or a jet where you might be tightly strapped in, you're going to know when you're upside down and hanging off your seat belt.

Living not all that far away, my cloud cover was much thicker than depicted on the recreation, and certainly he would not have seen the blue ocean on the horizon yesterday.

I suspect with the tower giving him clear instructions repeated several times to climb, which it seems he didn't make the slightest attempt to follow, he was suffering a rather serious mental and or physical emergency rendering him incapable of following simple direction.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yep, he is exactly right. A descending downward spiral can have exactly 1G and the problem is pulling back only tightens the spiral and makes you go down faster.

That doesn't explain why he seemed incapable of following simple instructions to climb before the final descent. Yes, I used to fly, but it's been many years now.

blue wonder

Reaction score
The pilot was a cardiologist from here in Yuma where I live, coincidentally one of the ones that almost killed me when I got CHF a few years ago, sad to hear though RIP

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
That doesn't explain why he seemed incapable of following simple instructions to climb before the final descent. Yes, I used to fly, but it's been many years now.
I had a response typed out but I honestly don't want to speculate any more. Could have been medical, could have been spatial disorientation and distraction. We'll never know :(

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yes.
Few years back a guy had the same issue in Yorba Linda, came straight in with the engines pinned in the fog.

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
about 2 miles from my sisters, super sad to recognize the neighborhood. That audio is strange, it's like he stopped responding? And I feel for the UPS driver and those who's houses were lost. My parents have lived under the flight path of Gillespie for 45 years, this is not the first crash a bit to close for comfort. All very tragic.

Taboma

Reaction score
I had a response typed out but I honestly don't want to speculate any more. Could have been medical, could have been spatial disorientation and distraction. We'll never know :(

I agree on all counts :(

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
another video.. sad deal

That’s hard to listen to. The controller knew he was in trouble and he’s just repeating the instructions back but not doing anything. He was confused for some reason. That reason we will never know why however.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Yorba Linda, you can hear him throttle up to try and pull out.....

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
My cousin lives 2 blocks from where it happened and kids school is 3 blocks away said that it sounded like a bomb went off and he braced for an impact.

RIP to the deceased.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You have me wondering if this spatial disorientation had anything to do with my father in laws accident. 😕

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Spatial disorientation and the loss of control. Could be he was trying to recover out of the clouds and just ran out of room.

ME report will give an idea of his health.

C-2

Reaction score
I'm just amazed at that re-creation. I was on the fence about it, but after I saw the UPS truck I thought, damn, it's real, but how did they get it.

How can somebody recreate something so quickly and with such detail, geesh.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I'm just amazed at that re-creation. I was on the fence about it, but after I saw the UPS truck I thought, damn, it's real, but how did they get it.

How can somebody recreate something so quickly and with such detail, geesh.
computer recreates the flight from air traffic tracking data, ie all of the coordinates of the plan as it flew

SternDrive

Reaction score
Few years back a guy had the same issue in Yorba Linda, came straight in with the engines pinned in the fog.

You can't tell if you're upside down ? This isn't zero gravity space, or scuba diving, or a jet where you might be tightly strapped in, you're going to know when you're upside down and hanging off your seat belt.

Living not all that far away, my cloud cover was much thicker than depicted on the recreation, and certainly he would not have seen the blue ocean on the horizon yesterday.

I suspect with the tower giving him clear instructions repeated several times to climb, which it seems he didn't make the slightest attempt to follow, he was suffering a rather serious mental and or physical emergency rendering him incapable of following simple direction.

SternDrive

Reaction score
It's just a flight simulator. I remember flying the KC-135R simulator at Castle AFB and seeing cars moving on the streets off the end of the runway. Funny thing, the software was developed in the UK, so the cars were moving on the wrong side of the road. The realism is amazing.

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
Actually they are not odd, at least in commercial airliner crashes. I’ve heard a few black box recordings and they pilot and copilots are almost invariably calm and collected, some times in the last second you will hear an expletive but now always.

Englewood

Reaction score
I have friends all over this neighborhood. One of them is 2 doors down, the other is 4. People felt the impact a mile away.

Pilot was a cardiologist from Yuma and commuted between SD and Vegas. Listening to the scanner there were body parts scattered all over several yards. His flight path was normal then he made a big circle.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have friends all over this neighborhood. One of them is 2 doors down, the other is 4. People felt the impact a mile away.

Pilot was a cardiologist from Yuma and commuted between SD and Vegas. Listening to the scanner there were body parts scattered all over several yards. His flight path was normal then he made a big circle.

That sucks

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

Yep.

Its known as “The Leans”
It’s the same reason the NTSB said that Kobe’s pilot did what he did.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
It seems so simple when you are listening to it over the radio. Controller asks altitude, he says 2600, controller tells him to go up to 4000, then 5000, ok just follow his instructions and you will be fine you would seem, but its not so simple when you are disorientated.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Friends of our lived in Cerritos during the big mid air collision many years back. There were bodies and parts of bodies on their roof, stuck in the trees, etc., that day messed up many people and first responders after seeing that.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
You got me on that one.........how the f did they do that?
A lot of these dudes dedicated to flying invest in a fuck ton of money to make it as realistic as possible. I like watching the flight channel because they recreate everything to the t

kimbalee

Reaction score
Va xxed pilots are dropping dead midflight all over the show (clots aka "heart attacks" maybe expedited by high altitude idk) and they are covering it up & censoring posts as fast as they can but I've seen some chatter on tiktok & IG about this being one of the driving factors for SW pilot walkout. A large % of those pilots are ex-military and they are rising up & refusing the whackcine.

2Driver

Reaction score
Yes.
In addition, you can't tell if you're in a turn or not and you can't even tell if you're upside down or right side up.

I get the disorientation, but wouldn’t hanging from your seat belt give you some indication you are upside down?

530RL

Reaction score
I get the disorientation, but wouldn’t hanging from your seat belt give you some indication you are upside down?

Yes, but even if one has some indication, it takes a while to process the information and figure it out. If you have limited altitude and are in an upset attitude, you may not have adequate altitude to recover.

Modern avionics and digital autopilots have a LVL button that will level the aircraft. But it still takes some altitude.

mode-control-067903c9-eec2-49ae-b843-49b7de0e856a.jpg

More recent innovations include auto land from Garmin. It is pretty clever for the non-pilot passenger if your buddy the pilot dies or is incapacitated in flight.