WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Plane stuff

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Posting this just because. Just some info on owning a plane for those that might be semi interested and maybe considering taking up ownership/flying.
Each year the plane must go thru an annual inspection, the plane gets torn apart to be inspected by a certified mechanic and then put all back together.
I do owner assisted annuals where I do most of the work and the mechanic inspects and signs off. The other option is to drop your plane off at the shop and wait for the phone call. I just completed my annual and my plane was down for only 2.5 days, shops can have your plane down for weeks.
Some of the stuff we have to do.
Remove wheels, clean and inspect brakes, repack wheel bearings.
Pull all spark plugs, clean and re-gap, borescope each cylinder and take photo of each exhaust valve (exhaust valves are the weakest link on the Continental motors) I do this 2 times a year at approx every 50hrs.
Compression test.
Check/set timing.
Any way the list goes on, I enjoy being at the hangar, wrenching/cleaning and making sure all is ok for the next flight.
Couple pics of the process.
C90850CB-33A8-4EF0-A921-51439503D079.jpeg
7AD46C4B-12D7-4A7C-9DF1-79067017F5E1.jpeg
6304CB86-62C7-4D84-8DD8-03F40A72C25F.jpeg
E6890DCF-694C-4E61-B3CF-835384F92BFA.jpeg
373329EF-C25C-4533-B9E6-BDE4916E3BFA.jpeg
A74A0C4F-AD4D-4360-80BC-207B26CFF1B7.jpeg
4F9F0C23-C755-4D43-83D7-D291545520A2.jpeg
6F28FD99-FC57-4952-BDE2-6FB409940821.jpeg
2FC90F92-9D7E-4E1B-90C3-F2F7412505F3.jpeg

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! Getting my pilots license is on my list. I just need to do it.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Do you fly for fun or business? Or both?

I would fly for just fun. Mainly to the lake. Maybe some biz trips. But in the back of my head is always the what if’s. Family in there with me or employees. Not sure.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I don't think many Bonanza owners are doing what you are. Good job.

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
No way to sugar coat it, planes are not cheap. Probably similar costs to DCB kinda boat. Just like a boat when bad things happen it can get kind of expensive. I put a new motor in my plane in 2017, motor with all new accessories etc.. installed was close to 50k. But the recommended TBO (time between overhaul) is 1700hrs, I fly about 100hrs a year so if all goes well this motor should last most of my remaining flying career. However at about 1000 hrs the exhaust valves might start acting up and a new “top overhaul” would be required and that is 15k ish.
But you can keep the costs WAY down if you do some/most of the work yourself.
I am not sure but I think the shops flat fee for an annual for my plane is $3k ish. That is just for labor for tearing apart/inspecting/putting back together. Every else is additional parts and labor. Some people will wait till annual for all repairs that are not airworthy repairs, this adds quite a bit to the annual cost. I fix most all items as they show up throughout the year, it still adds up but I spread the costs all year long. Not counting my labor the annual I just finished cost me less than 1500.00 and that was with installing a new front tire.

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
I fly for fun, mostly from French Valley to Havasu with a few other vacation trips each year.
1 hr flight each way makes it all worth it.
Do you fly for fun or business? Or both?

I would fly for just fun. Mainly to the lake. Maybe some biz trips. But in the back of my head is always the what if’s. Family in there with me or employees. Not sure.

hallett21

Reaction score
No way to sugar coat it, planes are not cheap. Probably similar costs to DCB kinda boat. Just like a boat when bad things happen it can get kind of expensive. I put a new motor in my plane in 2017, motor with all new accessories etc.. installed was close to 50k. But the recommended TBO (time between overhaul) is 1700hrs, I fly about 100hrs a year so if all goes well this motor should last most of my remaining flying career. However at about 1000 hrs the exhaust valves might start acting up and a new “top overhaul” would be required and that is 15k ish.
But you can keep the costs WAY down if you do some/most of the work yourself.
I am not sure but I think the shops flat fee for an annual for my plane is $3k ish. That is just for labor for tearing apart/inspecting/putting back together. Every else is additional parts and labor. Some people will wait till annual for all repairs that are not airworthy repairs, this adds quite a bit to the annual cost. I fix most all items as they show up throughout the year, it still adds up but I spread the costs all year long. Not counting my labor the annual I just finished cost me less than 1500.00 and that was with installing a new front tire.

Honestly that’s not as bad as I thought. A brand new 300r outboard is 25k so you’re doing good in my book.

I wouldn’t want to skimp on maintenance on something that’s 1,000s of feet in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c_land

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. What year was your bonanza manufactured??

DaveH

Reaction score
owning a certified aircraft is the cheap part.

its the hanger, (or outdoor tie down) fuel, maintenance, and annual inspections that run the cost through the roof.

many opt to go experimental if you are the DIY type and you can save a LOT with that type of aircraft. I would argue many of the FAA mandated engines and components are totally obsolete (albeit proven reliability when you follow all the inspections) and there are better choices and much less expensive ways with the experimental stuff.

it all boils down to how deep your pockets are.

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
In retirement if I have to cut costs I will probably go the experimental route with maybe an RV10 4 seater.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that I had started flight school again. I pulled my flight log out of the bottom of a box this weekend, and I solo’d nearly 20 years ago to the day, and my fourth solo flight in was when I crashed my C150. I have been up in little shit since then with no ill effects, but never as the PIC. Getting back into it has been a great experience. I will have my solo sign off again here in a couple weeks (sooner if I can find the time and the weather cooperates) and couldn’t be more excited.

I am doing this strictly as a commuter plane from the town I live in, to the town I work in, approximately 70 miles by car. The commute during Covid was awesome! Not so much now.

I am looking at mostly RV-12s. I want side by side seating for the rare occasion my fiancé goes with me, low fuel burn, and low maintenance costs!

rrrr

Reaction score
Posting this just because. Just some info on owning a plane for those that might be semi interested and maybe considering taking up ownership/flying.

Any way the list goes on, I enjoy being at the hangar, wrenching/cleaning and making sure all is ok for the next flight.
Couple pics of the process View attachment 1003039 View attachment 1003040

Allow me to compliment you on the cleanliness and detail under the cowling. You obviously spend hours working from the spinner to the firewall, and I don't think I've seen an engine bay so beautifully cared for.

It seems like 99.9% of all general aviation aircraft engine installations are filthy, scabbed together craptoid ugliness. The baffling is worn and leaky, scat tubing is unsupported, and fire sleeving on fuel and electrical lines are worn out junk. Electrical wiring looks like it is routed as if a 16 year old was working on a '93 Civic.

Your installation is clean, everything is neatly routed and secured, the baffling is perfect, and the pride you have in your plane clearly shows. It's an astounding example of what an engine compartment is supposed to look like.

It's a beautiful aircraft.

👍

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
Thank you..
To be fair those pics of the engine are from when the engine was just installed in 2017.
But I will say it still looks very much the same today.
I can have her cleaned up in about 2 beers time😉

Allow me to compliment you on the cleanliness and detail under the cowling. You obviously spend hours working from the spinner to the firewall, and I don't think I've seen an engine bay so beautifully cared for.

It seems like 99.9% of all general aviation aircraft engine installations are filthy, scabbed together craptoid ugliness. The baffling is worn and leaky, scat tubing is unsupported, and fire sleeving on fuel and electrical lines are worn out junk. Electrical wiring looks like it is routed as if a 16 year old was working on a '93 Civic.

Your installation is clean, everything is neatly routed and secured, the baffling is perfect, and the pride you have in your plane clearly shows. It's an astounding example of what an engine compartment is supposed to look like.

It's a beautiful aircraft.

👍

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
The center row seats are interchangeable to face forward or to the rear. We have been trying this set up (one forward one rear) for a bit and the girls seem to like it so they can be kinda face to face chatting.
The normal set up is “club searing” where both center row seats face backward and the 3rd row faces forward. I do not have the 3rd row seats in my plane currently as we mostly travel with 2-4 peeps and that leaves the back of the plane with tons of storage. I couldn’t find a picture of mine in the “club seating” position so I grabbed this pic off the web.
63BDFF13-5049-49AE-B27D-76483FCE234C.png
337CC9F6-9719-4D8E-A325-B6980178C664.png

SLT Kota

Reaction score
Thank you..
To be fair those pics of the engine are from when the engine was just installed in 2017.
But I will say it still looks very much the same today.
I can have her cleaned up in about 2 beers time😉

I was going to say I would fly with you just based off how clean and tidy the landing gear is. When I was in college a friends dad paid me to clean his plane, I was surprised how quickly it got dirty for a fair weather flyer.

Reactions: DWC

c_land

Reaction score
1980 A36 with IO 520 TN motor. TN= turbo normalized, constant 31” manifold pressure thru 15k’

Thanks for that, I am pretty fascinated with the world of private aviation.

Are the differences between the A36 and G36 limited to year manufactured?

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
Yes the G36 is the newer model with much upgraded interiors and avionics. The complete airframe is almost exactly the same as the older models. The G36 has gotten quite heavy with upgrades so the useful load can be quite a bit less than the older models.
You can upgrade the older models to be just as fancy as the newer models and be in the plane for substantially less $$.

Thanks for that, I am pretty fascinated with the world of private aviation.

Are the differences between the A36 and G36 limited to year manufactured?

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Whomever said if it flys, floats or f__cks rent it; was not a member in good standing on this forum. :D
Great thread @DUNEFLYER . It is great learning tips and tricks from GA pilots.
They are to smart to be here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SJP

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
Just noticed the last pic I posted is not my “normal” kinda cruise info, I noticed only 12degrees outside air temp which is way colder than normal and also 16.3 gph for fuel flow which is also high for me. Normal fuel for me is 14.5-15.2 gph to keep all cylinder head temps in check which is <380 degrees. This new pic is with much more normal conditions. Sorry for all the repost stuff.

82A79A1D-3480-411C-9F50-AFBE83C0D1E6.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
And last but not least, she moves right along.
For those on the fence considering making flying a reality, just do it. These things are game changers and a time machine.

View attachment 1003441
I’ve only done the trip to Havasu once by plane. Game changer is an understatement. If i hit the lotto I’d join the club in a heartbeat. (Commuter and seaplane :cool:) I’m barely up the Cajon pass in an hour. You guys are telling the tower where you’re gonna exit the runway.

rrrr

Reaction score
And last but not least, she moves right along.
For those on the fence considering making flying a reality, just do it. These things are game changers and a time machine.

View attachment 1003441

I'm up for adoption, I'd make a good airplane bitch for you or @Dkhanjob. I'll even wash the bottom of the fuselage once a week.

😁

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
That’s the real deal SkyDirt, we are just playing with toys in the single piston world. Very nice.

Havafewinsider

Reaction score
Just noticed the last pic I posted is not my “normal” kinda cruise info, I noticed only 12degrees outside air temp which is way colder than normal and also 16.3 gph for fuel flow which is also high for me. Normal fuel for me is 14.5-15.2 gph to keep all cylinder head temps in check which is <380 degrees. This new pic is with much more normal conditions. Sorry for all the repost stuff.

View attachment 1003559
Nice Panel fist pic you were bumping the yellow Arc and a little higher manifold pressure. Nice cruise speec at 14.6gph

Boat211

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I am currently going through flight training as well. I am loving it so far. Been looking at planes and still trying to figure it all out. Your plane is beautiful.

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Nice ! I do some basic maintenance but annuals go into the shop. My Extra goes in today. All goes well I’ll have it back Friday. Pretty straight forward and everything is visible. Super low TT helps to.