Platinum or regular def?

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Does it make any difference?
70C391A8-CD05-4457-A8F9-22E0F6797AAA.jpeg

RichL

Reaction score
Actually never saw the platinum version before. Just refilled the tank in the Ram about an hour ago with the original Blue.

robby dmax

Reaction score
I just bought some myself trying to get the tank empty to full up with the new stuff

ka0tyk

Reaction score
I just bought some myself trying to get the tank empty to full up with the new stuff

Im new to this diesel stuff. I was driving home from Palm Springs and got a message that the engine wouldn’t start after 250 miles. That was pretty strange. The little “level” in the info system said we had like 1800 last time I checked when I changed the oil. It took the whole box so it must’ve been lower than what it thought. Now I know to keep it topped off if it ain’t gonna start when it runs out. Dumb emissions...
DC3D20A6-B8B3-4346-B93F-85F2EC685A41.jpeg

ka0tyk

Reaction score
What ever meets the spec called out in the owners manual.

It’s a land rover...the DEF you choose will not prevent impending doom.

but I bought the good oil. That gives me at least another year right?

DE1D3819-1B2D-4ABE-B8B5-9B7372F9A499.jpeg

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Article on the why: Still researching the difference .
Less impurities might be better for making UREA IED’s, lol

Taboma

Reaction score
Interesting that the info message states "Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid Detected", rather than a low level. I know my neighbor has had his Jeep Grand Cherokee going into limp mode numerous times stating it had a clogged DPF filter, despite him having driven it at freeway speeds for plenty of miles for a regen. Dealer's done a forced Regen about three times now under warranty, yet claims there's no problem.

Reactions: DWC

ka0tyk

Reaction score
Interesting that the info message states "Incorrect Diesel Exhaust Fluid Detected", rather than a low level. I know my neighbor has had his Jeep Grand Cherokee going into limp mode numerous times stating it had a clogged DPF filter, despite him having driven it at freeway speeds for plenty of miles for a regen. Dealer's done a forced Regen about three times now under warranty, yet claims there's no problem.

I think it was just really low. I filled it up and no message anymore. Fluid level on the dash says 10k miles till empty.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Do any of the gas/fuel stations have DEF at the pump or do you have to buy the little boxes to fill your DEF tanks?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Do any of the gas/fuel stations have DEF at the pump or do you have to buy the little boxes to fill your DEF tanks?

Lots of stations have it at the pump [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Lots of stations have it at the pump [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Some truck stops do... But I buy the standard box DEF without issue. It's annoying to do..but takes like 5 min
I thought they might have it at the truckstop/travel center RV pumps but I just have never paid much attention I’m usually on the other side, I just wondered if your big stations in the big cities had them. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed in Havasu but then again I’ve never really looked all my junk is gas.😊

yz450mm

Reaction score
Some stations definitely have it at the pump, seems to be getting a little more common these days. I also use the blue boxes you can get at Home Depot/lowes,or any auto parts store.

I'm not sure about the other brands, but my GMC gives me plenty of notice that I should throw a box in there. I think it starts at 1k miles of range, then 750, 500, 400, Etc, so it doesn't let it sneak up on you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
If I need to use “premium” DEF, my shit is getting deleted. Bunch of bullshit. I have read about guys using distilled water without issue depending on year/make/model of truck. I might end up going that route if I have issues. Trying not to delete as I have an extended warranty.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The early 6.7 Pstokes (11-14) have had DEF sensors go more than other brand sensors listed on some discussion boards.

It appears to come down to the purity of the mix as to deposit build up in the system.
I’ve had 0 issues in nine years with the standard stuff, going to stick with it and save my money for guns.

81Sprint

Reaction score
i went from LBZ to L5P duramax, no def before and i learned real quick to spend a little more to get the box with the filler hose after not having it and spilling that shit. I could definitely go for a "weight loss" from what i have read the L5P really wakes up. And i have the full banks kit on the way with the derringer, ram air and pedal monster so 1K lb torque to the wheels here i come!!