WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Please keep an eye on your young ones...

Constant840

Reaction score
So sad to read things like this.
I'm not sure I could go on without my daughter.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/olympi...ces-19-month-old-daughter-died-012737136.html

Olympic gold medalist skier Bode Miller announced on Instagram Monday that his 19-month-old daughter Emeline Miller has died.
Authorities told the Associated Press that she drowned in a Southern California swimming pool. Orange County Fire Authority Captain Tony Bommarito said that paramedics responded to a call at a home in the Coto de Caza neighborhood, where they tried to resuscitate Emeline.

When on-site treatment failed, they rushed her to the emergency room.

“They had no pulses the whole way,” Bommarito told AP. “It didn’t end well.”

She died at an Orange County hospital.

Orange County sheriff’s spokeswoman Carrie Braun told AP that the death was under investigation.

“Never in a million years did we think we would experience a pain like this,” Miller wrote on Instagram. “Her love, her light, her spirit will never be forgotten. Our little girl loved life and lived it to it’s fullest everyday. Our family respectfully requests privacy during this painful time.”

The U.S. Ski and Snowboard team tweeted condolences to the Miller family.

Emeline was the youngest of four children for Bode Miller. He and his wife Morgan Beck also have a son together while he has a son and daughter from previous marriages.

Miller is a decorated U.S. skier who has earned six Olympic medals over three Games in Salt Lake City (2002), Vancouver (2010), and Sochi (2014). He earned gold in the super combined in Vancouver and has 33 first-place finishes in World Cup competition. He also has four gold medals in World Championship competition

rrrr

Reaction score
This is heartbreaking. You all remember I'm the guy that harps about PFDs and watching children. On Monday and Tuesday of last week two more Dallas kids drowned, and a local marine lost his life saving a girl at a swimming beach. The kids were a seven year old boy and an eight year old girl.

Little Emma Miller was only 19 months old. She was loved, but she wasn't watched. Don't let this happen to your family. Please. It will crush you and leave you with a lifetime of guilt.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Fuck. I could not even imagine.

Xaaaactly why we don't have a pool and wont until my youngest is well into her 8th year. The numbers are frightening.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Fuckin heartbreaking. I wouldn't have even opened the thread had I known the content.

GodSpeed to that little girl.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Heard this on the news this morning...heartbreaking...RIP little one.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
This is heart breaking not sure what I would do. We have a pool but it is totally enclosed by a gate and we do the river and have river front. We enrolled our boys in survival swim lessons. 6 weeks 4 days a week and what they have taught our boys is literally amazing.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
That's heart breaking. I cant imagine the feeling.
Really have to watch the little ones around water 24/7.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
So sad:(
It can happen in an instant too.....with ZERO noise.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
If your a good parent you always watch your kids.Things like this should never happen.RIP little one.

skiracr

Catalina Ski Race, Boat # 222
Reaction score
So sad:(
It can happen in an instant too.....with ZERO noise.
Very sad and so very true. We have a 3 month old and couldn't even imagine...

Our biggest slogan during in the summer and it is plastered on all of our apparatus is:

"Children Drown Without a Sound"

Often times they are so small you don't even hear the splash of them falling in a pool.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If your a good parent you always watch your kids.Things like this should never happen.RIP little one.

Yes and No.
shit happens fast your eyes come of a kid for 30seconds and that could be the end.

My daughter was a year old floating next to my wife ( next meaning literally touching) she fell out of her float. I was out of my chair and in the water as I saw her tip over. By the time I reached out to grab her my wife was pulling her up.

She was under the water maybe 2 seconds.
Scared me shitless.

Now even with floaters on. I watch like a fucking hawk and I won’t even hold a conversation with anyone while I watch.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I can not even imagine.We are still waiting to put in a pool because of young kids. The rule at the lake is life jackets go on at the dock. Even the dog gets a life jacket.

20180603_183917.jpg

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Yes and No.
shit happens fast your eyes come of a kid for 30seconds and that could be the end.

My daughter was a year old floating next to my wife ( next meaning literally touching) she fell out of her float. I was out of my chair and in the water as I saw her tip over. By the time I reached out to grab her my wife was pulling her up.

She was under the water maybe 2 seconds.
Scared me shitless.

Now even with floaters on. I watch like a fucking hawk and I won’t even hold a conversation with anyone while I watch.
My son and daughter would hate putting jackets on as young kids.You wanna go above your knees was the rule.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
R.I.P. little one.

Even when you think your watching, watch. When my daughter was a toddler, we had one of those little blue plastic 10” deep Walmart pools, you know like 6’ around. I was in the back yard with her, my wife poked hear head out the back door to say something, as we spoke, my daughter had fallen on her back, I turned to look at her, and she is gazing up through 5” of water. It was only for seconds, but crap, you loose years from it. I can’t emagin the guilt.

Bails

Reaction score
This story is just tragic.

Did you know that the number on cause of accidental death in children 1 to 4 is drowning? It only takes a second and it is silent. If you have a back yard pool I suggest you get a hold of some water watcher tags. One adult wears the tag and is identified as the water watcher. No distracting conversations, no cell phone use. The water watcher can had the tag off to another adult. The point is often times in the backyard pool scenario, one adult thinks the other adult is watching. If your in Orange County you can pick these up for free at any OCFA fire station.

Last year the State of California passed new legislation for pool safety. There are seven different safety measures for backyard pools, in the past homeowners only needed one in place. the new legislation requires two. I'm currently building a backyard pool and all the contractors and inspectors did not know about the new legislation. It cost me more money, however I'm happy to pay it. I can't imagine how devastated I would be if a child drowned in my pool.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
Godspeed little one!!!!

This HITS TOO close to home....my now 17 month old... jumps into our pool without anyone looking when she has her swin suit on.... we have eyes on her 100% of the time..... we NEED TO PUT HER IN swim lessons like yesterday....

Be safe Everyone ....

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Heartbreaking... we have a pool at our house and both sets of grandparents have pools. We like to spend a lot of time in or on the water. We got both boys swim lessons before they were two. It was extremely important to my wife. Learning to float and learning how to get to the wall and monkey crawl was big. I couldn’t even imagine. I think rd said something like for every kid in the water you need multiple eyes on them. We always dedicate “life guards” for parties.

boat 569

Reaction score
I used to feel this way too. I’d see these stories and wonder how it could happen. Well it almost happened to us when my daughter was 18 months old. We were at a friends pool and everyone went in for lunch and I dried my daughter off and stood her just inside the sliding glass door where she started following my wife down the hallway. I shut the door and walked a few feet away to get a dry towel. What I didn’t know was that my niece came out to get her phone and my daughter followed her. It happened so fast. I walked over to the door and my wife opens it and says where is the baby? I immediately look in the pool and there she is floating straight up and down in the deep end with just the very top of her head breaking the surface. I dove in and snatched her up and she spit and sputtered a little and started crying but was ok. We had taken her to water safety lessons when she was a year old where they dunk them and teach them to hold their breath. I believe that is what saved her. We were in separate cars and I had to pull over on the way home and was overcome by how close we came to losing our little girl. She is now 20 and it still shakes me up to think about it. Never take your eyes off of your kids around water.

JD D05

Reaction score

This has not happened to me but as a parent you quickly realize it is impossible to watch your kids every second of every day. You have to accept it and it sucks. I am the most protective parent than any other parent I have come across, I get teased and made fun of all the time from other parents.

wzuber

Reaction score
WOW....so very heart breaking and sad as well as some of the stories and experiences shared here. RIP little ones. unfathomable heart ache and pain for those parents.
In my business I see and repair a lot of wrought iron pool fencing in dis-repair, hinges rusted preventing return springs from closing and latching gates, latches that don't, rusted out pickets, bottom rails etc. what good is a safety barrier if not maintained properly to perform its intended function- protect the public and family members from accidents such as these. It's too easy to become complacent and procrastinate such simple maintenance. If you have a pool please take a moment to inspect and lubricate where necessary all the gates and fencing at least bi-annually to insure they are functioning now and well into the future to help prevent tragedies like these drownings. If necessary replace or at least clean and lubricate rusty hinges, adjust hinges that are adjustable to insure proper latch alignment. On the basic gravity gate latches tap the strike rod with hammer up/down/in/out as necessary to insure it aligns and latches everytime, adjust the spring tension or replace the springs if necessary to insure they have enough close rate/strength to close and latch the gate against the wind or whatever may try to prevent it from latching properly. The gate should latch easily, repeatedly when open no more then 12". You can buy gate return springs at home depot etc. that attach with sheet metal or hex head tek screws and install in place of, next to old worn out springs etc. It doesn't take long or cost much to keep a gate/fence system functional to help in prevention of these types of accidents. God speed to those babies taken way too soon.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
I used to think that too, until it happened to us.
This has not happened to me but as a parent you quickly realize it is impossible to watch your kids every second of every day. You have to accept it and it sucks. I am the most protective parent than any other parent I have come across, I get teased and made fun of all the time from other parents.
I,m sorry for my blunt post but was always on top of my kids.Surfing and boating made me aware of what dangers water can be.

JD D05

Reaction score
I,m sorry for my blunt post but was always on top of my kids.Surfing and boating made me aware of what dangers water can be.

No I agree with you 100% man, i am also. But for example they go to school or a field trip or daycare etc and i can't keep my eye on them. I have learned to deal with it I guess.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
No I agree with you 100% man, i am also. But for example they go to school or a field trip or daycare etc and i can't keep my eye on them. I have learned to deal with it I guess.
My son now older surfs all around the world and I still worry about him and the water.I had a few times surfing I would like to forget.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I watch my twins like a hawk when they are around the pool. I make sure I always have a back up watching them just in case

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score

Like jd dearden, I agree 100% too. I’ve always watched my kids like a hawk. But you just never know. I’ve posted the story on here before, but I don’t feel like typing it all out again. Just so nobody gets the wrong impression, I did have an 11 month old drown. In a totally unexpected scenario. My wife found him, and wouldn’t give up and even though he was “gone”, a miracle happened and he’s a heathy 6 year old now.

JBS

Reaction score
This is heart breaking not sure what I would do. We have a pool but it is totally enclosed by a gate and we do the river and have river front. We enrolled our boys in survival swim lessons. 6 weeks 4 days a week and what they have taught our boys is literally amazing.

Best thing you can do John. People are amazed at how well out 4yo swims. Don't forget the tuneups.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Like jd dearden, I agree 100% too. I’ve always watched my kids like a hawk. But you just never know. I’ve posted the story on here before, but I don’t feel like typing it all out again. Just so nobody gets the wrong impression, I did have an 11 month old drown. In a totally unexpected scenario. My wife found him, and wouldn’t give up and even though he was “gone”, a miracle happened and he’s a heathy 6 year old now.
Awesome!You and your wife are very blessed.Feel good story.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Godspeed and prayers to all families with losses.

This is one of my biggest fears of building Pools.
That something I created could take a life.

Iv had 2 holy shit moments that I can recall right now,
Demi Moore’s house ( built her Pool years back ) couple years ago on tmz her daughters friend died in Pool, wasn’t particularly Pool related cause but as it came on news my heart sunk.
Also my diamond bar house my ex wife’s cousin was over with her daughter, came home from work. She’s sitting inside on phone with backdoor open. I ask where her daughter is she’s like idk. Sure as shit I walk outside and she was at the bottom of my pool. One of the scariest feelings. Dove in and saved her life. Iv never hit a female but holy shit I was close that day! Even as I gave her cpr her mom was inside clueless what was going on.

Infants can be taught water safety, even if they can’t swim, all my kids learned before they could even crawl. They hold breath on impact and learn to roll on back and breath. Alarms, gates, doors etc can all be bypassed by human error.
A child knowing by instinct what to do rarely fails.

Sad day

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Best thing you can do John. People are amazed at how well out 4yo swims. Don't forget the tuneups.
We are doing tunes ups once a week...probably don't need it that often but I wold rather be safe than sorry. It's amazing how our 22 month old floats his back for what seems like forever. The instructor will pull him a couple of feet under water he breaks the surface and flops right on to his back. its a bit unnerving to watch but they both pop up and float. Swimming lessons are next spring, this spring/summer was strictly survival

jesco

Reaction score
My wife's good friend is the social worker at Mission Hospital that was on duty when this happened. She said this was by far the toughest death she has had and how horrible it was seeing the family and the neighbors try and deal with this. Such a sad deal... RIP

JBS

Reaction score
We are doing tunes ups once a week...probably don't need it that often but I wold rather be safe than sorry. It's amazing how our 22 month old floats his back for what seems like forever. The instructor will pull him a couple of feet under water he breaks the surface and flops right on to his back. its a bit unnerving to watch but they both pop up and float. Swimming lessons are next spring, this spring/summer was strictly survival

Sounds exactly like the program we did. Ari is kicking well and doing strokes now.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Interesting timing on this thread. Some friends want to take my 8 year old to a water park and we told them no. Nobody will watch my kid as closely as I do and I know that. My son is a phenomenal swimmer but if he slips and hits head he’s gonna drown.

A couple things to think about. Yes kids can get by you or you mix up who is watching them but they can’t fall in the pool if there is a fence. When my kids were young we put in a fence and when everyone went inside the pool got cleared and the fence got closed.

Another thing. Don’t underestimate your kids. I know so many people that until their kids are 5,6 and 7 years old to teach them to swim. My son was swimming at 2 years old. They can do it. Get them lessons....NOW. Stop using water wings!!!