WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Please school me in toy haulers!

sczagurs

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing either a new or used toy hauler to haul around my canam (4 seater). I’ve taken a look around giant RV and several other dealers.

We like the torque 378 and the attitude 3016ss or the 3322sag.
I’m very curious of your experience with these brands or have any other suggestions

I will be towing with a 2019 super duty.

DLC

Reaction score
I’ve been looking also, everything with a 14 ft garage / open space for a max is big and heavy!
I like the idea of a separate garage but it’s not a must have.

sczagurs

Reaction score
I’ve been looking also, everything with a 14 ft garage / open space for a max is big and heavy!
I like the idea of a separate garage but it’s not a must have.

I’m limited due to the towing capacity of my truck and my canam needing approximately 15’ storage.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Very happy with our new vortex. Had a couple small issues with a plumbing leak and had to caulk the shower little more. Other than that it did pretty good on 3 week trip in it.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Do not buy from Giant RV! Allot of people have been complaining about attitudes last few years.
If I buy again it will be Genesis or Momentum.

I have a Forest River Stealth. It’s nothing speacial and has been decent this far. No major issues.

Jim Tuck from Epic RV has been good to me and I didn’t even buy from him. He is up north but has partner dealerships down here.

Rowley White is good as well from what I hear.

sczagurs

Reaction score
Any reason you went with vortex vs attitude?

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Very happy with our new vortex. Had a couple small issues with a plumbing leak and had to caulk the shower little more. Other than that it did pretty good on 3 week trip in it.
That’s it for a 3 week trip? That’s awesome. Genesis is definitely better than most.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

I hate Facebook and just deleted. But if you have it start joining various groups and everyone bitches about Attitudes. Not many bitch about Genesis / Vortex.

BigMike

Reaction score
We have a Jayco T30F toy hauler that we bought new in 2017 and it’s been a great trailer for us. No big issues, large fresh water and grey/black tanks, 40 gallon fuel station, 16’ garage, king size bed up front, large bathroom, and a decent amount of storage considering it’s a toy hauler. We added a 2nd AC for the bedroom, a second battery, and a kill switch for when we store it for long periods. It is big and heavy though. I estimate it is about 12,500-13,000 pounds when it’s fully loaded headed to Glamis. Kind of wish it was a triple axle for better weight distribution, but it has 2-8,000 pound axles to handle the weight just fine.
6276E043-6F9E-43BF-AF69-E53AECBCE60C.jpeg
1FCA0C44-92B9-42F0-8124-8406873CBFCD.jpeg
ADD768D0-508B-4BA1-871D-185BEC05E26D.jpeg

Cdog

Reaction score
My Genisus gs34 has been awesome. Had a Jayco before with roof issues & a Weekend warrior that had weight issues. The Genesis has been 100% awesome compared to the others.

AE79244B-FDC2-492E-8D07-F0DD43E8A5DD.jpeg

sczagurs

Reaction score
I’ve also have been eyeing genesis MGM series. I’m somewhat limited due to having a 250. I really Need to iron out a true towing capacity.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
You pick the garage and storage leave the rest of the selections to the girls in the family.

Attitudes have always had serious issues of some sort.
Check out Grand Design.
Avoid OC dealers.

Best bets North of Bakersfield and Yuma.
Shoot for at least 30% off msrp or better.
Don’t get the soft floor models. Resale is horrific.

RV are in high demand now be willing to order one.

Last edited:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The ones I've been in that have a separate garage, unless they are pushing 40', the living space is tiny! My aunt and uncle had a mid 30' raptor with a separate garage and if there were more than 3 people in there, it was difficult to have a conversation due to no comfortable way to sit and look anywhere near at somebody. Pros and cons to all floor plans but if it were me and I had to be in the mid 30' range, I'd go with no separate garage. Gives FAR more versatility and usability IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Here is my Stealth this weekend. It was cold trailer did well except the batteries didn’t make it through the night. 2 6V with heater at 65. The died around 4:30 I’m the morning. No frozen pipes.

Attachments

• 94207CB1-2E99-400B-B8EB-E410BC582A0A.jpeg
    94207CB1-2E99-400B-B8EB-E410BC582A0A.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 171

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Other family members have Genesis and all had good things to say. Based on that and just doing our own research. That’s what we landed on.

I had a cyclone 4012 before, but didn’t want a garage this time. That was a well built unit, but heavy as hell. Would have done a cyclone again but only 1 unit does not have garage and we didn’t like the layout and length.

Singleton

Reaction score
while garage models are nice, they average 12’.
go open floor plan and your options open.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That’s it for a 3 week trip? That’s awesome. Genesis is definitely better than most.

Well, we found this out on our 2 night trip picking it up in AZ from the dealer. So I knew what I needed to fix.

No mater your going to fix odds and ends.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Here is my Stealth this weekend. It was cold trailer did well except the batteries didn’t make it through the night. 2 6V with heater at 65. The died around 4:30 I’m the morning. No frozen pipes.

That’s crazy. The heater doesn’t take that much power.

We have the residential package and 4 dry cell bats with solar. Wondering how long we can go. We’ve done 1 night and 2 days driving with no issue.

Kids use lot of power. Lol I even run our Wi-Fi/4g unit 24hrs.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

We have the residential package and 4 dry cell bats with solar. Wondering how long we can go. We’ve done 1 night and 2 days driving with no issue.

That’s the first time they didn’t make it through the night. But also the first night in the snow. It was super cold.
I anticipated them not making it through the night. I meant to start the generator in the middle of the night but slept through it. Luckily I already had our portable generator plugged in. And sitting at the entry.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

The blower is what kills the batteries, they suck the juice right out of them.

DLC

Reaction score

thats where you need a small generator like a Honda eu2000 or a 2200, let it run all night, set it in the bed of the truck facing away.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
That’s the first time they didn’t make it through the night. But also the first night in the snow. It was super cold.
I anticipated them not making it through the night. I meant to start the generator in the middle of the night but slept through it. Luckily I already had our portable generator plugged in. And sitting at the entry.

This is why I wanted to a auto gen start this time around. We also have a 2nd start/stop for gen by the master bed.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Genesis have less complaints ; I’d go with them
I bought a 17’ Attitude 32IBG that was owned by a. Relative of Attitiude. I have no doubt my trailer had “extra attention” in the build as I’ve had NONE of the issues I’ve read about with other Attitudes/Iconics/ eclipse trailers

The solar panels and Lipo batteries are super low key for maintence and work well.
I have 15’9” to first cabinet and my can am is 15’ with aftermarket cage.
I like 3 axles for blow outs over two axles and went with bumper pull due to trees where I live (La Habra Heights)
I’d be missing. An AC unit if I went 5th wheel , but I’d recommend a 5th wheel for towing

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Learned my lesson the hard way😖

I’m sure. I’ve learned too check propane and add a site gauge to the tanks working in Vegas in winter. Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night and no propane and the furnace fan running non stop. Brrrr

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I bought a 17’ Attitude 32IBG that was owned by a. Relative of Attitiude. I have no doubt my trailer had “extra attention” in the build as I’ve had NONE of the issues I’ve read about with other Attitudes/Iconics/ eclipse trailers

The solar panels and Lipo batteries are super low key for maintence and work well.
I like 3 axles for blow outs over two axles and went with bumper pull due to trees where I live (La Habra Heights)
I’d be missing. An AC unit if I went 5th wheel , but I’d recommend a 5th wheel for towing .

The 5er are freaking tall. I’m 13’-2”.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
thats where you need a small generator like a Honda eu2000 or a 2200, let it run all night, set it in the bed of the truck facing away.
I have a Westinghouse 2500i that I use allot. I don’t run it all night out of courtesy to others. I could have this time because we were alone.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My bro in law uses a little Honda generator and an Electric space heater. Runs a humidifier all night long too.

My two 6v will run the heater all night, but wont start my generator in the morning. I just ran my truck for awhile to get the batteries to where they would start the Genny.

I don't cold camp often enough to invest in the Honda set up my bro in law runs!

sczagurs

Reaction score

I’d be missing. An AC unit if I went 5th wheel , but I’d recommend a 5th wheel for towing

Small world, I work in la Habra heights/hacienda heights. I could only imagine how much of a pain It would be moving a large 5th wheel up there.

Singleton

Reaction score
I guess, It’s only a 12volt fan. I can see it if you are trying to heat the unit to 80.

just get a bid buddy heater.
i have not used my trailer heater in 2 years.
added an extra propane line direct to big buddy (it’s fan runs on 4 D batteries and have not replaced those in 2 years), and crack the ceiling vent.
i run on high when the kid goes to sleep, turn to low when I go to bed the medium when I wake up until wife is up, keeps trailer warmer then house unit in trailer

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Small world, I work in la Habra heights/hacienda heights. I could only imagine how much of a pain It would be moving a large 5th wheel up there.
I live by East Road/Churchill, tree city lol!

Boat 405

Reaction score
They all suck, put together with paper and glue. Some are mildly better than others but it's almost better to buy used to let someone else figure out the problems. I've had two. A 2007 Gearbox and a 2017 Iconic. The gearbox was solid, zero issues other than a roof repair and an ac after a leak. The Iconic.... I'll never buy another Eclipse trailer....

Good luck!

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If you do consider bumper pulls don’t buy the biggest Genesis bumper pull 30ck I think?
It has reputation of having tons of sway. Axles are to far forward.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
over priced, My buddy bought a 32GSG in January of 2020 fully loaded with everything plus the nicer awning and the rear awning over the play pen for 52otd.
Covid pricing
Your buddy can sell it for what he bought it for now
Follow @str8 up toy trader and prove me wrong
You won’t

It’s not1/20
It’s “can’t do anything but Camp and boat”

weekend warriors are going for crazy money

the one I listed will sell for 43k or higher , it’s Supply and demand Covid world

LowRiver2

Reaction score
If you do consider bumper pulls don’t buy the biggest Genesis bumper pull 30ck I think?
It has reputation of having tons of sway. Axles are to far forward.
Hence 3 axles =solid on the road

Dettom

Reaction score
Don’t buy a new one if you can avoid it. Get one that’s a couple years old and has most of the bugs worked out of it. Most, are pieces of shit, put together by a bunch uneducated border brothers who are told just get it out the door. Quality control on most assembly lines is very minimal. And most dealers, once they get your money, you’re yesterday’s news. If you’re not going to travel all over the country, like I have, you’ll probably be ok. You’ll still have issues, but not as many as if you hauled it across the US a couple of times. Just my .02.

Roaddawg

Reaction score
I picked up a Genesis 37 GSXL last November and it has been pretty good so far. Had to fix a few little things first trip out but that is pretty standard. Its nicer than my old Attitude.

Dettom

Reaction score
Do not buy from Giant RV! Allot of people have been complaining about attitudes last few years.
If I buy again it will be Genesis or Momentum.

I have a Forest River Stealth. It’s nothing speacial and has been decent this far. No major issues.

Jim Tuck from Epic RV has been good to me and I didn’t even buy from him. He is up north but has partner dealerships down here.

Rowley White is good as well from what I hear.
This^^

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
Genesis Vortex here and I’d buy another in a heartbeat. It’s our 4th trailer. Bought it new in 2018 from Rowley White after a 2 year search. The factory tour really sealed the deal for us but I understand they’re on COVID hold. The customer service has been top notch and only minor odds and ends that you’d expect from a toy hauler.

13136F11-1B05-46F1-BE1C-C16CF87D92D4.jpeg

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Genesis Vortex here and I’d buy another in a heartbeat. It’s our 4th trailer. Bought it new in 2018 from Rowley White after a 2 year search. The factory tour really sealed the deal for us but I understand they’re on COVID hold. The customer service has been top notch and only minor odds and ends that you’d expect from a toy hauler.

View attachment 966173

Don’t You have the 3817?

Icky

Reaction score
A friend of mine sold me his Genesis 2016 40cr, I told him he could sell it for more than he was offering it to me for especially with covid pricing. Overall it was bigger than I wanted to go, but knowing he's had it since day one, how he takes care of his stuff and the boss really wanting it I had no choice. Good news is, by selling to me he has a place to stay if he feels like coming to glamis again.
Coming from a weekend warrior 28fsw to this is a night a day difference. Just the front compartment alone on the 5th wheel holds everything I would stack around the sxs and would have to move before unloading. The solar keeping the batteries charged is another plus, no more plugging it in at home.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I guess, It’s only a 12volt fan. I can see it if you are trying to heat the unit to 80.
It's a ducted 12volt fan so it draws far more juice than just a 12 volt fan sitting on a counter.

Also, set the T'stat down to 55 and just throw blankets at everybody.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cdog

Reaction score
Predator 3500 keeping us warm in low 30 degree weather tonight. 12 hrs run time +. Granted I ordered our Genesis 34gs with artic pkg. so far I go through 3gallons of propane at 70 degrees every 24 hrs.