WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Plug in Hybrid EV

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I don’t know anything about these but is that a competitive price? That’s a lot of scratch $$. Value is in the eye of the beholder but I’d hope it’s pretty luxurious inside for that kind of money.

BMW's are driver's cars. Meaning? When you drive one, and actually feel the ride, you are hooked. The drive is no less than amazing with the suspension and powertrain designs they use.

The problems lie in the software they use in their control units. It's horrible and very prone to failure. This makes a BMW Extremely unreliable and very expensive to fix.

Sure, the independent shops can do the general service and all that. But BMW in all their infinite wisdom (meaning that are cheap) uses the same control module in every car. That module has to be programmed and coded at the dealership with the correct software after being installed in the car, to work properly in the car it's installed in. It's a major pain, cause during this process, the programing computer checks all 40 other modules in the car to update them to the latest software versions as well. The independent garages are not going to have this equipment.

So...

Do they drive kick ass? Hell yes. They are amazing cars to drive!

Are they dependable? With all the crazy electronics in the new cars, sadly no. They are not.

How is the resale? Probably the worst with Subaru being the best, so go figure.

Cearly, the car line does have its fans. 😉

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Of course, it is certainly not the end all be all but it is one of the few consistent ish points of data that we have.

@rivermobster is just letting you know from the mechanics side how BMW's are. I've had a couple and my father has had a couple. Even though it was 10 yrs ago now, the issue we had with different models was enough not to own one out of warranty, unless you know the potential of costly repairs.

Did have have a 5 series over this last weekend in TX with the 4 cylinder.... would never thought the torque coming from that was as good as it was.....

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Funny how this turned into a BMW thread. I drive a 2015 X5 and it has to be one of my favorite vehicles. Bought it as CPO in 2017. Great sales and service experience from Nick Alexander's in LA.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
@rivermobster is just letting you know from the mechanics side how BMW's are. I've had a couple and my father has had a couple. Even though it was 10 yrs ago now, the issue we had with different models was enough not to own one out of warranty, unless you know the potential of costly repairs.

Did have have a 5 series over this last weekend in TX with the 4 cylinder.... would never thought the torque coming from that was as good as it was.....

I appreciate his input, but that was not the point of the thread as I stated in the OP. I was looking for opinions on a whether or not to purchase a PHEV.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I appreciate his input, but that was not the point of the thread as I stated in the OP. I was looking for opinions on a whether or not to purchase a PHEV.

It went sideways when you mentioned the BMW EV..... IMOP I wouldn't go EV just for the credit, not worth it for me anyways. If I had Giraffe money like @boatpi why not, already has a lambo. I'll stick with gas/diesel engines that i can still somewhat work on if needed too or know more people that due and how it works.....

Father picked up a black label navigator....Nice car and it has me looking at the aviator

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
It went sideways when you mentioned the BMW EV..... IMOP I wouldn't go EV just for the credit, not worth it for me anyways. If I had Giraffe money like @boatpi why not, already has a lambo. I'll stick with gas/diesel engines that i can still somewhat work on if needed too or know more people that due and how it works.....

Father picked up a black label navigator....Nice car and it has me looking at the aviator

I'm starting to agree that the added complication of the PHEV makes the juice not worth the squeeze so will probably end up with their standard straight 6 engine.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

The only vote against owning one is the Possible repair bills down the road.

On Any new technology, a lease would be your best option. IF you do fall in love with the car, you can always buy it outa the lease.

If it turns out to not be a good decision for you, drop it off and kiss it goodbye!

No massive deprication to deal with. 😊

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The only vote against owning one is the Possible repair bills down the road.

On Any new technology, a lease would be your best option. IF you do fall in love with the car, you can always buy it outa the lease.

If it turns out to not be a good decision for you, drop it off and kiss it goodbye!

No massive deprication to deal with. 😊

My wife has a 60 mile round trip commute to contend with so the mileage makes the least not make sense.

Will cost me $38,250 in rent over 3 years

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
My wife has a 60 mile round trip commute to contend with so the mileage makes the least not make sense.

Will cost me $38,250 in rent over 3 years

According to the below depreciation calculator, I will lose 26k in depreciation over the same 3 years.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I will add that the hybrid system on my 330e has been fine. I only have about 33k miles on the car, but have not had any issues with the hybrid system acting up. As you noted, the PHEV is a great best of both worlds option for some. For short drives, you don't use any gas, but you essentially have unlimited range just like a traditional car. When I run out of electric power in my car, I get around 30 MPG on the gas engine. When I was driving back and forth to the office every day (60 miles RT but I could charge at work), I'd average around 70 MPG due to the amount of all electric driving I was able to get.

If you don't mind the potential increased maintenance costs associated with the brand, I wouldn't steer away from the hybrid system. My concerns about my car would be there even if I didn't have the PHEV version. In general I like my car, but sometimes I kick myself for not just getting a Volt or another more basic PHEV. I bought mine CPO that was 1 year old with 7k miles on it, for about 50% of the sticker price. No way I would but it new, but as a used purchase it was only a few $k more than other PHEV options and a nicer car.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I didn’t buy our Tesla trying to be green or economical. I wanted something sporty to replace the 15 year old bimmer. Made the mistake of test driving one. 😁

I don't doubt it, either would I. On paper they really scoot, having never ridden in any Tesla cars, I find I'm curious what the sensation of speed is and how it differs from ICE cars. The only thing I can relate with is my electric golf cart In my Camaro, I enjoy the exhaust note and whine of the supercharger. I'm sure the head toss back and G-force punches you good in the faster Teslas, but it must be a different sensation otherwise.
Of course I chuckle when I recall how growing up in the 60's with muscle cars, they felt so brutal and exciting and so different compared modern Hi-Po cars, which are much better behaved.

boatpi

Reaction score
I hate to break it to everyone here but hybrid power is a future of most automobiles around the world. Quite frankly there are many advantages in the system is nearly flawless Toyota is the brain child behind all of this. Within two years Lamborghini is going to have a plug-in hybrid model and quite frankly it’ll probably be faster than some of the existing models in the end a lot of this is about reduced emissions. With your like it or not it’s coming in the greatest advantage it is going to be the SUV and pick up trucks because they have more places to put the batteries for storage. If you haven’t driven a hybrid a plug-in hybrid vehicle and I don’t mean some Prius some thing like the Mercedes that we own and hammered accelerater when the battery has a charged, it’s beyond impressive.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
For the way we use our cars, a model 3 or a leaf is too much of a one trick pony. We are planning on using this car as a road trip car as well. My truck isn't all that comfortable on long hauls and gets really shit mileage because I am making a good amount of boost at an 80mph cruise
I feel your pain. If they made a Plug-In Hybrid that got 75+ miles before the gasoline engine kicked in I would already have one to commute to work (70 miles round trip) and use for non-stop river trips.

To me the technology is not mature enough to go either hybrid or full electric to justify the added cost. That and the auto makers for some reason think the general public wants a hybrid that only goes 30 miles. I can get a Dino Camry that gets 40 MPG that’s around $25K.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I feel your pain. If they made a Plug-In Hybrid that got 75+ miles before the gasoline engine kicked in I would already have one to commute to work (70 miles round trip) and use for non-stop river trips.

To me the technology is not mature enough to go either hybrid or full electric to justify the added cost. That and the auto makers for some reason think the general public wants a hybrid that only goes 30 miles. I can get a Dino Camry that gets 40+ MPG that’s around $30K.

According to BMW the average commute in the US is 20 miles round trip.

My wife is 27 one way and they have charging stations at the hospital, so she could make the PHEV be full ev for her commutes. I'm just not sure if it's something I want to commit to this early. The tech is fascinating, but I will let someone else be the early adopter on that. Fully expect the car after this one to be PHEV or full EV.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

To me the technology is not mature enough to go either hybrid or full electric to justify the added cost. That and the auto makers for some reason think the general public wants a hybrid that only goes 30 miles. I can get a Dino Camry that gets 40+ MPG that’s around $30K.

Ive considered doing the pre-order on one of these...depends if we stay in TX long term or not... It's not that much different than an x5 45e...

530RL

Reaction score
Kevin,

You love your wife so just get her something nice in the plug-in hybrid model lineup.

Maybe something with 7 year maintenance included?

Sporty yet dependable.....:):):)

If you go Ford, Lexus, Toyota, Volkswagen or Mazda PM me and I can hook you up in metro Phoenix.

If you go BMW, Earnhardt will typically beat any other dealer although now that Van Tuyl is back in the business his BMW store is buying market share. Penske takes care of its customers with service but is more expensive on the buy.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score

Ive considered doing the pre-order on one of these...depends if we stay in TX long term or not... It's not that much different than an x5 45e...

Nice little car, but for 83k base for one is crazy.......

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Kevin,

You love your wife so just get her something nice in the plug-in hybrid model lineup.

Maybe something with 7 year maintenance included?

Sporty yet dependable.....:):):)

If you go Ford, Lexus, Toyota, Volkswagen or Mazda PM me and I can hook you up in metro Phoenix.

If you go BMW, Earnhardt will typically beat any other dealer although now that Van Tuyl is back in the business his BMW store is buying market share. Penske takes care of its customers with service but is more expensive on the buy.

Tried to send you PM but you're locked down. Can you send me one?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I hate to break it to everyone here but hybrid power is a future of most automobiles around the world. Quite frankly there are many advantages in the system is nearly flawless Toyota is the brain child behind all of this. Within two years Lamborghini is going to have a plug-in hybrid model and quite frankly it’ll probably be faster than some of the existing models in the end a lot of this is about reduced emissions. With your like it or not it’s coming in the greatest advantage it is going to be the SUV and pick up trucks because they have more places to put the batteries for storage. If you haven’t driven a hybrid a plug-in hybrid vehicle and I don’t mean some Prius some thing like the Mercedes that we own and hammered accelerater when the battery has a charged, it’s beyond impressive.

Yup.

Even Ferrari is on board…their new CEO spent his entire career in electronics, and has zero automotive experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Nice little car, but for 83k base for one is crazy.......

I don't foresee them having many options...I'll wait and see what it finally looks like...but for people in an urban setting its not a bad deal compared to a model x or something.