WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Plumbing help Magnaflow Pump

renodaytona

Reaction score
My Daytona has never had a sea strainer on it, usually boat in fairly clean water. I'm looking at installing 2 dedicated strainers, one for the super chiller, and one for the motor. I also plan on separating the current oil/PS cooler as it is fairly small and I want to get a larger oil only cooler and small PS only cooler. I run a magnaflow cam driven water pump. Will there be an issue to run from the drive pick up to the strainer, then to the oil cooler, PS cooler and finally to the magnaflow pump? Seems like the only logical way to do it. I plan on using 1" NPT fittings and -16 an up tp the pump. Will I suffer any pressure drop having 3 separate pieces between the pickup and pump? Any experts or someone that may have this setup currently?

farmo83

Reaction score
Long time family friend has a magnaflow cam driven pump but he only draws it through the strainer to feed the engine. He has a dedicated pickup that is force fed for his intercooler and a dedicated pick up(also force fed) for his Oil Cooler and Trainy cooler. I would think drawing through the other two first could result in pressure drop. I'm sure someone smarter then me will come along to chime in though.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Not at all. My vdrive was all dash 16. From the pickup, to the strainer, to the oil cooler. To the pump. Then to the manifolds. Then into the motor. Then into the tails. You’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renodaytona

Reaction score
Thanks OD1 I know there are others with this set up just need real world knowledge. 👍

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Thanks OD1 I know there are others with this set up just need real world knowledge. 👍
If you have two strainers, the conventional wisdom for a high horsepower boat is one for the water pump to feed the engine, and then simply force feed the 2nd strainer to the intercooler, out of the intercooler and split to the other two coolers. Make sure to have equal or more size in lines exiting the intercooler so you don't cause too much pressure in it.

Any of the ski race type stuff I built fed with a -16 to the water pump, and a separate -16 to the intercooler. How much power are you dealing with?

renodaytona

Reaction score
If you have two strainers, the conventional wisdom for a high horsepower boat is one for the water pump to feed the engine, and then simply force feed the 2nd strainer to the intercooler, out of the intercooler and split to the other two coolers. Make sure to have equal or more size in lines exiting the intercooler so you don't cause too much pressure in it.

Any of the ski race type stuff I built fed with a -16 to the water pump, and a separate -16 to the intercooler. How much power are you dealing with?

New motor is in parts right now but should be in the 1100hp range.

Super chiller is plumbed thru Hull with -12an and two -10an dumps.

Motor will be all -16an up to the magnaflow pump.

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
How much boost do you plan to run? What size fittings in the Super chiller? I would consider 16 in with two 12's out if they are 3/4" pipe.

renodaytona

Reaction score
How much boost do you plan to run? What size fittings in the Super chiller? I would consider 16 in with two 12's out if they are 3/4" pipe.

10lbs of boost. I believe they are 3/4" NPT but I will verify tonight (I've never had the fittings out of the chiller).

Thanks for the info Barry, much appreciated.