WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Plumbing question?? Washing machine

Bear Down

Reaction score
My piping for my washing machine drain hose is overflowing when the washing machine is draining. Never had an issue before but now we have one. We redid the roof and has been happening since. Not sure if it’s coincidence or not. I snaked / flushed the drain pipe and the vent pipe ( roof outlet) and no obstruction there. It’s an old ass house and I’m sure the piping is crusted and raunchy, but this is out of my wheel house. It washing machine is about 10-12 years old. Any insight? Local plumbing recommendations

Much appreciated!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Odd it happened with the roof timing. My parents house did that, and it was a mess of lint and laundry detergent. Snaked it out and switched to liquid detergent instead of powder, and never had another issue. It was a house built in 54, this was in the 90's...was fine until 2012 when it sold.

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
My piping for my washing machine drain hose is overflowing when the washing machine is draining. Never had an issue before but now we have one. We redid the roof and has been happening since. Not sure if it’s coincidence or not. I snaked / flushed the drain pipe and the vent pipe ( roof outlet) and no obstruction there. It’s an old ass house and I’m sure the piping is crusted and raunchy, but this is out of my wheel house. It washing machine is about 10-12 years old. Any insight? Local plumbing recommendations

Much appreciated!
Define local.....

Sharky

Reaction score
Have a local plumber run a camera down the line. Washing machines can dump a lot of lint and hard soap scum down the line over the years.

Did the roofer fuck up the vent? Same plumber who knows his shit should be able to camera the vent as well.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
How much or how (excuse the reference) anal were you in snaking both the drain and and vent pipe. Wondering if like a sink drain if throwing some vinegar or something similar down will help dissolve the issue.
Good luck.
And like asked above. Did the roofer mess the vent up ???

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
My guys have left a rag in a shower drain or a toilet flange before. Accidents happen. It probably is not bigger than a 2" vent.

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
The roof timing is odd but my plumber buddy taught me to use bleach in all of my drains as a maintenance to dissolve hair and likeness. Like you, I've got an older house and if something starts to back up in any way I drop a gallon of bleach down the line and let it sit for 45 minutes. Run hot water through after and its flowing without any issues. Cheap enough to see if it helps.

Edit: Only for use on sewer, not a good idea for septic.

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
The roof timing is odd but my plumber buddy taught me to use bleach in all of my drains as a maintenance to dissolve hair and likeness. Like you, I've got an older house and if something starts to back up in any way I drop a gallon of bleach down the line and let it sit for 45 minutes. Run hot water through after and its flowing without any issues. Cheap enough to see if it helps.
Never heard of the bleach delo before. Cheap if it works.

Bear Down

Reaction score
How much or how (excuse the reference) anal were you in snaking both the drain and and vent pipe. Wondering if like a sink drain if throwing some vinegar or something similar down will help dissolve the issue.
Good luck.
And like asked above. Did the roofer mess the vent up ???
Used the a small pipe snake about 20’ of drain line and exhaust/vent pipe. Couldn’t really get to deep in exhaust vent/pipe had a 90 degree angle on it. I didn’t see any damage at all to vent. It wasn’t a tear off job.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

I did the same (we just got a new hvac) but also blew 100psi of compressed air into it every few months…

FreeBird236

Reaction score
It doesn't take too much soap deposits and corrosion to start catching threads and fibers and then it creates turbulence and won't keep up with the flow. Any plumber should be able to fix easily. If you want to try yourself, get some Clear-All, basically muriatic acid, but don't leave in steel pipes too long.

DLC

Reaction score
Be careful with extra / excessive bleach if your on a septic system!

It can mess up the good bacteria/ enzymes that breaks down All the corn and TP !!

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
Be careful with extra / excessive bleach if your on a septic system!

It can mess up the good bacteria/ enzymes that breaks down All the corn and TP !!

Good point, should have disclaimed only if on sewer which I am. Added that to ensure no one wrecks their septic.

Reactions: DLC

Backlash

Reaction score

Much appreciated!
Is your plumbing (Drains, roof vent, etc.), cast iron?

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Only time mine did that was when My drain hose popped up about 5/8” on the rinse cycle. I shoved it in, and attached a clamp, and it hasn’t been a problem since.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Clear All, used to sell that in high school at the mom and pop I worked at. Powerful stuff, I didn't know it is still available.