WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Plumbing Question

aftershock

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions/clarity on jet boat plumbing. New to the jet boat world and everything I've searched for online still has me a little confused. I recently purchased a 21 skier with a 6.0 vortec (Kodiak Marine) and a dominator pump. It originally had the water inlet from the pump go directly into a thermostat housing with a 140deg thermostat. The thermostat went bad and wouldn't open anymore so I took it out. Now after reading other threads about plumbing I'm worried that I might be giving the motor too much water pressure without the thermostat. There's no valve or anything like that from the pump to the thermostat housing. Should I put a thermostat back in? Should I leave it out and install a gate valve? Pressure relief valve?

D19

Reaction score
Looking for some opinions/clarity on jet boat plumbing. New to the jet boat world and everything I've searched for online still has me a little confused. I recently purchased a 21 skier with a 6.0 vortec (Kodiak Marine) and a dominator pump. It originally had the water inlet from the pump go directly into a thermostat housing with a 140deg thermostat. The thermostat went bad and wouldn't open anymore so I took it out. Now after reading other threads about plumbing I'm worried that I might be giving the motor too much water pressure without the thermostat. There's no valve or anything like that from the pump to the thermostat housing. Should I put a thermostat back in? Should I leave it out and install a gate valve? Pressure relief valve?

Don't use a gate valve. Ditch the T stat.
Off pump, into a regulator set at no more than 40psi then into block, dump from thermostat housing. The Watts regulators work well.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Loads of questions for clarification call for Tech help 805 466 4719

Nikwho

Reaction score
I run this as a dump valve to prevent the pump from over pressurizing the engine coolant passages

At 15 psi it vents excess water through a hull mounted dump

I also have a pre screener filter after this to prevent debris from entering as well.

I run a similar pressure regulator, followed by a wye strainer. They are very easy/quick to clean out.