WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pneumonia anyone?

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I've been having lung issues for the past two and a half months, and then I caught a minor head cold from my preschool son.....

Apparently I now have pneumonia in the bottom half of my left lung. Kicking my butt though. I have been knocked down since last Wednesday, went to the doc yesterday. The real bummer is I had a dive trip to the Channel Islands that leaves Friday, non refundable and a group of friends is taking over the boat.

Who has had this kind of fun and how did recovery go? The part that is a little scary is that this is their first guess, the realistic options go down hill from there quite rapidly. That is still ignoring the oddball exotics.

Fun times...….

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
I caught it when I was in my 30's... don't know how?? Surfung, Waterskiing???
I was playing in a Golf Tourney ... could not finish... pretty much keeled over.... laid low, Family picnic following day.. woke up went to picnic, dropped everyone off... went to ER... Momma called me out and said I just didn't want to hang out.... until she heard the results...
I had to stay home for 2 weeks and rest... 1st time ever missed worked... didn't feel bad when at home.... went back to work after 2 weeks ...no issues since..

KICKED MY ASS!!!!
dont F with it

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Got it from a cold .
Was in the hospital for a day
Could barely breathe
Kicked my ass for 3 weeks .
I get worried every winter when the cold and flu season comes .

Forget about that dive trip

Last edited:

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like a prednisone steroid inhaler in your near future.......be prepared to be an aggressive agitated asshole....lol

kiethco

Reaction score
I got what I thought was the flu last April. I kept waiting to get better and I told my wife I'd go to the Dr. if it got worse. Finally after a week or so I woke up and told her i was crashing, I needed to go to urgent care for some tami-flu or whatever that is. I walked in and the P.A. did a few quick checks and told my wife she called 911. I got to the hospital and they did a chest x-ray and thought i had lung cancer. The pneumonia was so advanced it showed as a mass in both lungs. I was immediately put on 4 bags of iv's around the clork for 5 days. I was discharged and it took another 3-4 months to get all my strength back.
My siggestion to anyone over 50 is to get the pneumonia shot. I asked for it when I was 52 or so after I got west nile and the Doc said I was too young......screw that, I'd get the shot now.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My high school sweetheart (My wife) had it bad her junior year. She was a swimmer, and had just come back from Senior Nationals in Texas. The following Saturday morning, she's swimming at workout...finishes a couple hundred yards, and tells the coach something's wrong. Her mom takes her to the ER. She get's all sorts of BS diagnosis'. Finally chest X-rays are done. One lung full of fluid, the other about 2/3s full. Apparently she was at Death's Door, but just felt a little sluggish.
She spent the next month in the hospital. They ran a drain tube in her back...being nice so she wouldn't get the scaring in the more visible areas. She was up and running in about 6 weeks. She had it really bad, I think it helps that you are getting it handled pretty quick, and no mention of a drain tube.

Good luck!

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
Was checked for pneumonia today and truthfully waited to long to see the doc, all clear but have a upper respiratory infection that’s been going on since July 2nd. Got on the Z Pak today but I get bad anxiety when I can’t breathe with the sweats and low grade fever. Walking calms me down, I had a really bad one March of 16 lasted about 4 weeks before I was clear. I have a inhaler PROAIR HFA 108 MCG, it does help. Sucks you are going through this.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Was checked for pneumonia today and truthfully waited to long to see the doc, all clear but have a upper respiratory infection that’s been going on since July 2nd. Got on the Z Pak today but I get bad anxiety when I can’t breathe with the sweats and low grade fever. Walking calms me down, I had a really bad one March of 16 lasted about 4 weeks before I was clear. I have a inhaler PROAIR HFA 108 MCG, it does help. Sucks you are going through this.
Might have you waited longer it might have gone to your lungs . Good you went to see the dr

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Had it in HS. Parents thought I was faking it. When I ask my dad to take me to the “fucking” hospital he knew something was up. (Never swore in-front of my parents). Upon walking in the nurse immediately put me in a wheel chair & rushed me off. After waking up in hospital bed, doc said I woulda been dead in the morning

Both my lungs were full of fluid. Giant needle thru the back to drain them. 2 weeks later I was released

Get it checked. It doesnt fix itself

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I’ve had pneumonia 2X. You have to be super careful around cold & flu season, as once you’ve had it you are more susceptible to pneumonia again. I always get the flu shot, and starting in the fall I will start getting the Pneumonia Shot. Pretty sure it’s 3 Strikes and your out! The last time landed me in the hospital as I was down to 30% oxygen level. I’m surprised I’m still alive after that one :eek:

Forget about that dive trip. It’s not worth risking your life, there will be others!

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Yea I caught it without too much progress although I had it for over two months. Just the bottom half of the left lung. Of course I got to hear the "why didn't you take care of this sooner" lecture from the wife.
On a second antibiotic today. the first one just stalled the progress but I was not getting better after 48 hours. Hoping this double up works. Going to suck if they have to get more serious.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
PSA
All respiratory distress needs to be checked out.
It can ruin your heart quickly.

Hope you get well WJ.
Ps. Your wife was right. LOL.:D

Tank

Reaction score
Don't fuck around with that shit! I almost died about 8 years ago. For real. I'm not talking about "walking phenomena", I'm talking about the real deal.

I was at work was feeling fine, few hours before I was due to get off I start feeling shitty, FAST. By the time I'm walking out the door I have the chills. I go home and get into a hot bath because I'm freezing. That spikes my temp to 103/104. Ice under the arms and on my head all night trying to reduce the fever. Off to the emergency room in the morning. They do blood and hydrate me. Send me home. Next morning they tell me to get back to the ER ASAP. They explain aggressive pneumonia and want to admit me. I say no, I'll go home and lay in bed. Basically don't remember a few days until I'm so weak I can't get out of bed or breath. Back to the dr. Going into kidney failure and my blood is going septic. At this point I should've been admitted but I still refused. Figured I could rest better at home. Down for 3 weeks, in bed. Lost like 30 lbs. I'm on the mend and just starting to get off pain meds for it all when I get the gnarliest pain in my lower back I've ever felt in my life. Back to the ER. They think I have a kidney stone (never had one before), I'm in so much pain I'm in tears in the ER. They give me delaudnum and Morphine and it doesn't even touch the pain. More tests, come to find out its pleurisy (the mucus membrane around the lungs dries up and sticks to your rib cage. Explained perfectly to me like a scab being ripped off every time you breath! Excruciating).

All in all, I was down for about 6 weeks. Don't remember a large portion of it. If it wasn't for my wife reading through my medical records with a fine tooth comb, I'm absolutely positive I'd be dead. She caught the sepsis and kidney failure.

I'd skip the dive trip and treat what you have with a high amount of respect. Shit aint no joke.

RichL

Reaction score
Quick side track. Pleurisy. This is another one not to mess with. I had it a couple of times in my younger life. No fun.
Take care of yourself and follow the Doc's orders.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Had walking pneumonia in my mid 20's and it kicked my ass for almost two weeks.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Doing a little better today, and have a dr's appt tomorrow morning. I thing the new mix is starting to work. Yea, kicking my butt, and the wife is usually right. :rolleyes: