WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pocket knife

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
According to the google:

Folding pocked knives are legal, no mention of blade length.

Fixed blades are legal when not concealed, illegal when concealed, and again no mention of blade length.

Switchblades and other spring-loaded knives are illegal in California if their blade is 2″ or longer. The statute excludes pocket knives that can be opened with one hand by pushing the blade open with one’s thumb, as long as the knife “has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.”

Essentially, pocket knives are legal, and switchblades are legal if the blade is shorter than 2″.

And a KA-Bar on your side.

Dan'l

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
As someone posted, back in the day in small towns, most every kid had a pocket knife. Often referred to as jack knifes rather than "folding" knives.

My preference was always a 3 blade "cattlemen's" knife. Then Buck came out with a variety of locking blade knives and many went that direction.

Around the farm/ranch, many carried a fixed blade on their belts, often referred to as just, hunting knives.

My Dad bought me a nice deer antler handled hunting knife from a small MI company. Olsen Knives and I still have it. Great knife and their slogan that was posted on ad sign outside of their town is even better: "Fatty, fatty, run for your life.....Here comes skinny with an Olsen Knife.":D

Found this on internet. Very similar to mine. This one was made in Germany in the latter years of the company. While mine is an original made by Mr. Olsen. Mine is still shiny and not stained plus mine has a bit more curve and much better looking blade

DSCN82861.JPG

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Here try this one I don't carry it everyday but its interesting none the less.
IMG_6927.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6926.jpg
    IMG_6926.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 121

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
So pretty. I don’t think I would let that leave my house.

The older I get the more I disagree because I am beginning to understand the phrase you can't take it with you. I'm not saying don't have nice things, I'm just saying use the shit out of your nice things. If you have a nice watch, wear it. Have a nice car, drive it. Have a beautiful wife, well, enjoy the company.

YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU!

dp85tona

Two strokes is enough
Reaction score
I carry a few different ones depending on what I am doing. Everyday is a Case 2 blade in my left pocket and a Benchmade push button auto with Tanto blade in my right. When I am roping I carry the Case in my left pocket and a Spyderco stainless Harpy in my right. That Harpy is crazy sharp and will cut anything right away.

Albert

Reaction score
upload_2019-3-15_13-37-27.jpeg

Only when im not feeling like its such a good area

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I have lost 4 benchmade, lost my last cheap Gerber and now have this Gerber I got from Crate club.
15526841251877554296785620611008.jpg

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
my daily carry, prob close to 4 years now, has been a Quartermaster Mr. Roper. This is the first generation, titanium scales, 3" blade made of S35VN steel, texas tea finish. Its been great.

I bought a new one thats carbon fiber, and a bit bigger, but its never made it out of the box....

View attachment 735181 View attachment 735182

Wow that is a nice knife. If it was tio down I wod buy it in a second.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I guess i forgot to confirm my order so I went back and ordered 2
735F7767-FD87-41E8-A5AB-69DB4F543CF0.png

Attachments

• 7E668972-2724-4ABF-B32B-FE23387E3A5E.png
    7E668972-2724-4ABF-B32B-FE23387E3A5E.png
    366.2 KB · Views: 102

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
These are my go to. Kershaw cryo, brawler and Case Trapper XX.

The cryo is my edc. The case is my all time favorite
IMG_20190325_093627.jpeg

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

C-2

Reaction score
Those Endura 4's look really good, I'll put one on the list for Father's Day.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
From screwing around with cars, or equipment on jobsites, I now always have a Gerber multi-tool on my hip. Handy for a lot of stuff. Bounce back and forth between Gerber and Leatherman, both have advantages. Gerber can access pliers quicker, Leatherman has a small saw and pair of scissors.

When hunting or hiking, I carry a beat to hell, old, KaBar. Been used as a hammer, a stake and an axe. Knife choice really depends on what you do. Stripping wires, opening packages, hunting...I went through a bunch before I found what I'd use the most.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Those Endura 4's look really good, I'll put one on the list for Father's Day.

I have an endura 4 and it has been a pretty good knife, VG10 steel is great.

However, after 3 seasons of working at a christmas tree lot through high school and college and cutting the ropes off of tied up trees, the bushings in the pivot are kind of shot. It has become a 2 handed opening knife for me. Not a bad knife overall, just a data point of my experience.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
From screwing around with cars, or equipment on jobsites, I now always have a Gerber multi-tool on my hip. Handy for a lot of stuff. Bounce back and forth between Gerber and Leatherman, both have advantages. Gerber can access pliers quicker, Leatherman has a small saw and pair of scissors.

When hunting or hiking, I carry a beat to hell, old, KaBar. Been used as a hammer, a stake and an axe. Knife choice really depends on what you do. Stripping wires, opening packages, hunting...I went through a bunch before I found what I'd use the most.
I use my knife as a multi-tool more than anything else really. Probably why I go through them like crazy. I tried carrying a multi-tool with my like a Leatherman, problem is, they are just way too bulky a standard folding knife is way more efficient for me.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have an endura 4 and it has been a pretty good knife, VG10 steel is great.

However, after 3 seasons of working at a christmas tree lot through high school and college and cutting the ropes off of tied up trees, the bushings in the pivot are kind of shot. It has become a 2 handed opening knife for me. Not a bad knife overall, just a data point of my experience.
I honestly like the look and feel of the vg10 more. Mine says made in China though so maybe I got ripped off. Endura says made in Japan I can open it one handed but I have to flick it pretty hard. Almost dangerous. 2 hands is safer

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I usually have this on me or in my desk drawer
image.jpg

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I carry this. Its sharp as fuck.

IMG_0384.jpg

The serrated area will bite you if you aren’t careful.

View attachment 739445

When I was younger I had a bunch of knives, but my dad took me camping and hunting all the time. I even had a wet stone for sharpening. I still have a couple Kershaws, Bucks, maybe a Schrade also somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I use my knife as a multi-tool more than anything else really. Probably why I go through them like crazy. I tried carrying a multi-tool with my like a Leatherman, problem is, they are just way too bulky a standard folding knife is way more efficient for me.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Understandable, especially if working in tight quarters. For me, a shop is the tightest area I'm in. On jobsites, I usually had nail bags on, or fall protection...never noticed the knife. I used to carry a Spyderco, but after breaking the tips on two of them slicing bundles I decided too costly. I admit, I abuse the crap out of my knives. I keep some as backups, and even have "donor" Leathermans and Gerbers to raid for parts. Keep the older, repaired ones in the barn or garage. When the donors get f pretty full of tweaked pieces I'll send them of to get repaired.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
I carry a Chris Reeves knife. https://chrisreeve.com/ He moved to Boise in 1990 I believe from either Australia or New Zealand. I bought it at a charity fundraiser silent auction at my son's school 26 years ago. It's 51/4" long opened end to end. It's all titanium. This particular model was featured on the cover of the Industry Mag in 1990 also. I have a copy of that. I paid 450.00 for it back then and stuck it away in my closet for years...just purely due to cost of it...now I've carried it for the last 8 or so years...I guess he's a big deal in the knife biz...
IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1318.JPG

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I carry a Chris Reeves knife. https://chrisreeve.com/ He moved to Boise in 1990 I believe from either Australia or New Zealand. I bought it at a charity fundraiser silent auction at my son's school 26 years ago. It's 51/4" long opened end to end. It's all titanium. This particular model was featured on the cover of the Industry Mag in 1990 also. I have a copy of that. I paid 450.00 for it back then and stuck it away in my closet for years...just purely due to cost of it...now I've carried it for the last 8 or so years...I guess he's a big deal in the knife biz...
View attachment 740098 View attachment 740099

CRK are some of the best of the best. Incredible that you have a 1990 model in such good shape, probably worth a pretty penny to the right buyer.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
CRK are some of the best of the best. Incredible that you have a 1990 model in such good shape, probably worth a pretty penny to the right buyer.

Kevin it's funny and one of the reason's I posted. So yesterday my son calls me "same son is now almost 40" and he works for a large construction company. He says "Dad do you know Chris Reeves..?" Me say's "ahh son I met him years ago when I bought my knife"...he had forgot. So yesterday CRK met with my son to build a new building. They have 42 employees. They have outgrown the place they are in...So Chris is gone and retired, the wife and him divorced. So the son is running it with Chris's ex wife. Chris's Son went to same private Christian school my son went to. I had sent my boy a pic of my knife to just break the ice with them..The Mom looked at the pic and says "That's really nice" and she leaves the room...she comes back in about 10 minutes and says..."tell your Dad that knife is worth about 1,000.00 today"...Holy Shit..I might have to put it in the gun safe...

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have been carrying this one for about two years now and like it. It was a “freebie” at a class I took.

9A6FFCC1-40B7-4A75-BBEE-5EFE5F64DEF8.jpeg
C237A079-8AFA-480F-8DA4-5773EA07AD30.jpeg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I started carrying a knife a couple years ago...mainly because I was constantly looking for box cutters with everything showing up from brown Santa now, and some new guy taping every damn sample box shut at work. I went to Big 5 when they had Kershaws on sale and bought about 6 different models in the $25 range. I really like the Kershaw opening assist. The Brawler is my favorite layout and I prefer a tanto blade but the painted blade pisses me off. I’m mostly carrying this now:

image.jpg

Last edited:

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I started carrying a knife a couple years ago...mainly because I was constantly looking for box cutters with everything showing up from brown Santa now, and some new guy taping every damn sample box shut at work. I went to Big 5 when they had Kershaws on sale and bought about 6 different models in the $25 range. I really like the Kershaw opening assist. The Brawler is my favorite layout and I prefer a tanto blade but the painted blade pisses me off. I’m mostly carrying this now:

View attachment 1016539
I had some an hour to kill last week, and there was a Big 5 right there, so I went in to look at the knives. I saw all the Kershaw knives on sale. I also prefer a tanto blade in black.

Sent Using Tapatalk

USMC2010

Reaction score
In AZ I carry a Benchmade automatic that I got in Iraq 2004. 2 years ago I lost my Spyderco Police I bought in 1999 (still pissed about that). I had another far expensive Benchmade edc I traveled with until Friday. It had been missing for about a month, TSA found it for me in Vegas 🤔😡🤷🏼‍♂️. Time to go shopping for something else.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I was carrying the spyder co everyday for a while but I’ve switched to this one. My wife bought me a couple different colors.

it’s big enough for most tasks but if I’m working out back with the animals I prefer a bigger knife. Everyday at work though this is perfect

93B4DFDD-CB72-4E76-B7ED-D9E5084EBDF2.jpeg
1BBDB35A-62CF-49C7-B237-51776939849F.jpeg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I've been carrying this Steel Will 'Cutjack' Model for the last year and have been really happy, holds an edge well.
It's the Model C22M and has D2 Steel, which isn't too bad of steel.
I picked it up online for under $40 shipped (prob. because of the color) but I don't care, it's in my pocket. (it does come in black)
The finger choil and thumb-texture really give you a good grip on the knife. The un-assisted flipper is 'ok', not the greatest, but works fine for me.
I dig the blade shape for my needs, but it's def. NOT a 'poker' for detail work if that's what you need.
Pocket clip is reversible, and the knife is thin and light for it's size. (2.8 oz.) 4" length . . . 3" blade.
This is the low-end Cutjack, but it does have bronze bushing I believe, they offer the same platform with even better steel,/ handle material etc. for more $$$
But this model pretty much caps out my budget for an EDC. If I lose it, I'll be bummed, but not the end of the world.

IMG_0457.jpeg

Here's a review . . .

Last edited:

petie6464

Reaction score
Really can't beat these cheap Kershaw's.
Nothing fancy, sharp as a scalpel and hold an edge, if lost you're not out much.

16243081752618880183235617370395.jpg

Duramax

Reaction score
I have carried Kershaw for years, but about a year ago purchased a CRKT Provoke. I tried posting a pic but got locked up, anyway, great little knife.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
…I knew I had one of these… I started looking around and found it in a drawer of my Lance camper…I am sure that I have had this almost 40 years???… not really sure where or exactly when I did buy it???…
…Gonna take it out in the garage and give it a little cleanup👍..,
F4D34F24-6E35-42F7-B709-B0C7D9A04ADD.jpeg

… Cleaned up pretty good with a light go over on a buffing wheel…I must’ve picked this up when I was heavy into saving old wood boats from their demise… we used to use these to poke around looking for a dry rot…I don’t recall ever having a sheath for it and carrying it around as a buck knife… but it does seem a little heavy to be a daily pocket carry around???
7043F8A8-088E-4D2E-B978-5160B8D9D019.jpeg

Last edited:

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
…I knew I had one of these… I started looking around and found it in a drawer of my Lance camper…I am sure that I have had this almost 40 years???… not really sure where or exactly when I did buy it???…
…Gonna take it out in the garage and give it a little cleanup👍..,
View attachment 1016789
… Cleaned up pretty good with a light go over on a buffing wheel…I must’ve picked this up when I was heavy into saving old wood boats from their demise… we used to use these to poke around looking for a dry rot…I don’t recall ever having a sheath for it and carrying it around as a buck knife… but it does seem a little heavy to be a daily pocket carry around???
View attachment 1016810
Puma or Buck??

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Puma or Buck??
… I have no idea … but at the base of the blade it has stamped… Uncle Henry and below that SCHRADE +….below that USA…so Dunno???…
…It may have been manufactured between 1973 and 2004 when Schrade closed their doors …subsequently somebody picked up the name…and still sells knives under the Schrade name… since I honestly cannot remember exactly when I acquired this knife there is a possibility that I may have in my possession a Chinese knock off …who knows???… might require further research???…
… can’t make out what is stamped right before USA…If it is NY probably not of Chinese manufacture???..,Using a magnifying glass I can make out a partial right before USA..it may say something like T&Z …Dunno???..,

Last edited: