WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Poison Oak

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
This stuff sucks. While working on a trail in the hills the other day, I picked up a bunch of it behind my knees, on the inside of my arms, and around the front of my stomach.

All of it needs to die.
WTH? Were you doing yoga in the shit?😖😄

DWC

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Brutal shit. Got it when we lived in Atl. Itched the shit out of it at night and got infected. Bad week

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
WTH? Were you doing yoga in the shit?😖😄

It sure as hell seems like it, but since I'm pretty sure I'd get stuck if I ever tried yoga, it wasn't that. I had to trim some back to make way for a bridge and I thought I was careful enough with it, but I guess not. Didn't touch any of it with my hands and used the clippers to move the trimmings away. Still got it all over me. Potent shit.

I got some prescription ointment which seems to help, but it's still pretty bad.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It sure as hell seems like it, but since I'm pretty sure I'd get stuck if I ever tried yoga, it wasn't that. I had to trim some back to make way for a bridge and I thought I was careful enough with it, but I guess not. Didn't touch any of it with my hands and used the clippers to move the trimmings away. Still got it all over me. Potent shit.

I got some prescription ointment which seems to help, but it's still pretty bad.

Where were you at? Boy Scout project?

Leaves of three, let em be!!! Learned that shit in Cub Scouts. :p

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Where were you at? Boy Scout project?

Leaves of three, let em be!!! Learned that shit in Cub Scouts. :p

No, mountain bike trail I've been working on near the house. No leaves on the plant at this time of year, but I can still identify it. Huge stand of it growing from down in the creek bed. Not an option to leave it be...it was in the way of our bridge!

All those tan sticks especially to the right of the picture are poison oak shoots. Nasty damn plant.

36C8DEF0-A060-4A63-9373-B73C57F7055F.jpeg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I have had the shit a ton of times.

This is my recommendation, this is the only think that I ever found to work and have it dried up and stop itching better than anything. I've tried calamine lotion, benadryl, even a cortisone shot(had that when it got in my eyes).

-Go to the store and buy some 91% or 99% rubbing alcohol.
- get some of the white Terry cloth rags
- saturate rag in alcohol
- rub infected spots with rag pretty hard, enough to break the blisters.
- throw that rag away
- grab another and repeat
- rub down with alcohol rag about every 4hrs until it quits oozing
- once it dries up just wipe it down a couple times a day

It stings like hell and turns into an oozing mess but trust me this is the best thing I've found.

The goal is to get ride of all the oil from the plant from under the blisters.

Every other way it will take weeks to get ride of and you'll be an itchy mess.

Learned this from an old timer(my foreman) when I did reforestation out of high school. We once slash burned 180 acre unit that was cover in poison oak. The smoke from the fire is how I got it in my eyes. That was terrible!

Actually got a little a few months ago and have no clue how cause I can spot that shit a mile away🤣

Like I said the alcohol method hurts like hell but is the fastest way to dry it up and get rid of it!

Hope this help, I feel for you..lol

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
wait till that shit catches on fire and you get the smoke covering you.............

Been there. 180 acers of it. Had it all over and in my eyes. My buddy that was on my crew on the same burn got it in his eyes throat and sinuses. He was in bad shape for about 2 weeks. His eyes swelled shut for like 3 days and could only drink and eat cold liquids for about a week. That was the first experience of having to get a cortisone shot!

I've had people call bullshit saying that the oil doesnt exist in the smoke, not possible. I offer to find some and burn it for them while they stand in the smoke. No one has taken me up on that offer🤣🤣

4Waters

Reaction score
This stuff sucks. While working on a trail in the hills the other day, I picked up a bunch of it behind my knees, on the inside of my arms, and around the front of my stomach.

All of it needs to die.
Get this, it's not 100% but it does work, you will get some relief

51+sTsOKEFL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I have had the shit a ton of times.

This is my recommendation, this is the only think that I ever found to work and have it dried up and stop itching better than anything. I've tried calamine lotion, benadryl, even a cortisone shot(had that when it got in my eyes).

-Go to the store and buy some 91% or 99% rubbing alcohol.
- get some of the white Terry cloth rags
- saturate rag in alcohol
- rub infected spots with rag pretty hard, enough to break the blisters.
- throw that rag away
- grab another and repeat
- rub down with alcohol rag about every 4hrs until it quits oozing
- once it dries up just wipe it down a couple times a day

It stings like hell and turns into an oozing mess but trust me this is the best thing I've found.

The goal is to get ride of all the oil from the plant from under the blisters.

Every other way it will take weeks to get ride of and you'll be an itchy mess.

Learned this from an old timer(my foreman) when I did reforestation out of high school. We once slash burned 180 acre unit that was cover in poison oak. The smoke from the fire is how I got it in my eyes. That was terrible!

Actually got a little a few months ago and have no clue how cause I can spot that shit a mile away🤣

Like I said the alcohol method hurts like hell but is the fastest way to dry it up and get rid of it!

Hope this help, I feel for you..lol
That's how I do it also. Usually a knife or needle to slice and dice the blisters. The Tecnu wash helps also cold water only.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
In linework everyone gets poison oak, all the time and it’s usually the number 1 lost time accident. unfortunately it’s an OSHA recordable if a guy misses a day because of it. Soo our contractors have spent millions$$ testing, treating and trying to prevent poison oak rashes.
We’ve tried every remedy known to man and then a couple more. So far the best we’ve come up with is a combination of the following products.

-IvyX pretreat skin solution is used before working.
-IvyX post contact skin cleanser Is used after contact (tube or towelettes good for cleaning skin, clothes, boots, tools,etc...followed by a change of of clothes.)
-ZANFEL Is the absolute best treatment after outbreak of rash. It bonds with Urushiol and removes it from skin and blisters, shortens rash duration and helps control the itch too.
-ARRID XX Extra Dry antiperspirant is used after ZANFEL to help keep skin cool and dry and prevent oozing and itch that comes with sweating.

I carry a second of clothes at work just in case I have to hike thru or work around poison oak. And we have ziplock go bags with poison Oak treatment kits in all trucks, yards, at home, everywhere.
The white tyvek paper throwaway coveralls work great too.
I feel your pain so I Hope this helps.
A2A09EA8-F226-4E0B-B16E-26D6DB602AD1.jpeg
46BA7725-CBA2-4537-8539-17DEDB0D9C89.jpeg
49E0361A-605A-4829-A339-498A322E1DC0.jpeg

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score

" If the leaves of poison oak are broken or the plant is damaged in some way, it releases an oil – urushiol – that is poisonous to humans. The oil triggers the body's immune system and produces a rash. Even dead leaves, stems, or roots contain the oil; it can also be inhaled if the plants are burned. "

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Yep. If i was OP i would hit the area with Pump sprayer full of Roundup, Bleach or Concentrated Vinegar And kill that shit.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yep. If i was OP i would hit the area with Pump sprayer full of Roundup, Bleach or Concentrated Vinegar And kill that shit.
Release the goats 😁 My buddy up in Oregon had a large area with nasty poison oak and thorny berries he needed cleaned up to make a garden. Tossed a temp fence around it and borrowed some guy's big goat and turned him loose in the fenced area. Took that goat awhile, but eventually, he ate about everything to the dirt, poison, thorns, just kept chewing. :oops:

81eliminator

Reaction score
Wash your body with Dawn dish soap, it removes the oil from the poison oak and ivy that causes the problem.

4Waters

Reaction score
Wash your body with Dawn dish soap, it removes the oil from the poison oak and ivy that causes the problem.
I've never heard of this working but hell I'd give it a try but you gotta use the blue Dawn, that's the one they use for oiled birds.

brgrcru

Reaction score
I have tried everything . Once a year . It hits me , doing MTB trail work .
My only solution is go to doc, get some type of steroid pill . With in 1 day most itching is over . 2 days it's better and healing .

Fastest way out of that hell .

81eliminator

Reaction score
The guys who ride off road at Glen Helen get poison oak all the time. They carry Dawn and use it right away after riding

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I am allergic to poison ivy. I got it extremely bad every summer as a kid. Crusty oozing welts. All you had to do was say poison ivy and I got it. To make matters worse was my school bus stop was right next to the woods where it was. Used to get it so bad I couldn’t open my mouth to eat. Fuck those plants.

Ricks raft

Reaction score
I'm fairly allergic to many things including poison oak. When I was young a shot of kenalog(so). I believe a steroid. Prednisone also works. Day or two and starts working quickly.
If I happen to already be on a prednisone series for asthma, I don't really get it just minor rash.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
That shit is all over the golf courses in San Diego I’ve been lucky to never get it! We had signs all over the place at a couple courses I worked at but we’d get idiots pretty much every day that would get it looking for a golf ball!! One of the superintendents got it pretty bad from petting his dog after it spent the day chasing the squirrels at his course. When we go camping hiking in Julian I always make sure our dog stays on the trial!!

samsah33

Reaction score
I've never had the pleasure of getting poison oak/ivy, but I did walk around my backyard in LHC 2 springs ago in flip flops and discovered the joys of scorpion weed... knees down looked like raw hamburger for about 3 weeks...

grumpy88

Reaction score
I always would go to urgent care for the shot .usually a cute nurse telling me to drop my pants for the shot as a bonus !

4Waters

Reaction score
I've never had the pleasure of getting poison oak/ivy, but I did walk around my backyard in LHC 2 springs ago in flip flops and discovered the joys of scorpion weed... knees down looked like raw hamburger for about 3 weeks...
Just looked that rash up 😳 looks like a bad case of herpes

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
In linework everyone gets poison oak, all the time and it’s usually the number 1 lost time accident. unfortunately it’s an OSHA recordable if a guy misses a day because of it. Soo our contractors have spent millions$$ testing, treating and trying to prevent poison oak rashes.
We’ve tried every remedy known to man and then a couple more. So far the best we’ve come up with is a combination of the following products.

-IvyX pretreat skin solution is used before working.
-IvyX post contact skin cleanser Is used after contact (tube or towelettes good for cleaning skin, clothes, boots, tools,etc...followed by a change of of clothes.)
-ZANFEL Is the absolute best treatment after outbreak of rash. It bonds with Urushiol and removes it from skin and blisters, shortens rash duration and helps control the itch too.
-ARRID XX Extra Dry antiperspirant is used after ZANFEL to help keep skin cool and dry and prevent oozing and itch that comes with sweating.

I carry a second of clothes at work just in case I have to hike thru or work around poison oak. And we have ziplock go bags with poison Oak treatment kits in all trucks, yards, at home, everywhere.
The white tyvek paper throwaway coveralls work great too.
I feel your pain so I Hope this helps.
View attachment 962906 View attachment 962907 View attachment 962908

Zanfel does work well. I am allergic to poison ivy/oak. Have to go to ER and get shot.

We have it on our land in TN. I am very careful doing yard work. Long pants and shirt. When done every thing comes off and into the washer. Take a cool shower and wash 3 times. Didn't get it last year doing it this way.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
That’s solid advice. Clean, Clean, Clean. The Arrid extra dry for such a simple addition is a game changer with ZANFEL. Justwannarace was spot on with rubbing Alcohol. Diluted bleach on wet towel also works well, especially if used like a compress.

Nikwho

Reaction score

All of it needs to die.
Last summer I got it badly while working on a fire. I ended up going on anti-biotics, as it all started to get infected. It was the WORST! Worst part was that it was pretty early into the fire, so I was sleeping in a tent with limited supply of clean clothing and working 16 hours per day with it. I cannot explain how miserable it was! Good luck!

Nik