WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Police boats

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Bunch of police boats are headed up River right now hopefully nothing bad happened! It’s blowing pretty crazy the lake is a disaster right now.

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Bunch of police boats are headed up River right now hopefully nothing bad happened! It’s blowing pretty crazy the lake is a disaster right now.
I read that someone drowned at Crazy Horse a bit ago trying to save their boat. Hope everyone else is ok.

Reactions: DWC

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
We got out of the water just as the wind hit. Ryan pulled his boat out in the middle of it. It was a mess.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Chaos...being on the water late is usually an adventure anyway. Add in the weather factor and things can get ugly quick. I hope nothing major happened up river...or anywhere else for that matter

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
We got out of the water just as the wind hit. Ryan pulled his boat out in the middle of it. It was a mess.
It was crazy out there. Channel was a sand storm. Barely enough visibility to get out of channel and to ramp. Once at the ramp boats were crashing into dock. Boats sideways on trailers. Chaos. Still trying to flush the sand out of my eyes. Quite the adventure.

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Buddy and several others in cars were pulled over on rice road between Vidal and Parker, somebody sped around them in to the water, car washed away, doesn’t look good.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I could see those cop boats lingering near river entrance for at least an hour.
Before the wind hit they were by windsor4 channel entrance.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
It was crazy out there. Channel was a sand storm. Barely enough visibility to get out of channel and to ramp. Once at the ramp boats were crashing into dock. Boats sideways on trailers. Chaos. Still trying to flush the sand out of my eyes. Quite the adventure.

Instinct is to get the boat out of water , but what is really the best (right) thing to do? I had my cobra get washed up on the beach one time at crazy horse. We went up to restock the cooler and weather changed quick. It was a mess and 7 dudes to get it off the beach but we were all safe.

Since then, It’s always been on my mind as to what is really the right move. Head for land? Beach? Open water?

cofooter

Reaction score
Instinct is to get the boat out of water , but what is really the best (right) thing to do? I had my cobra get washed up on the beach one time at crazy horse. We went up to restock the cooler and weather changed quick. It was a mess and 7 dudes to get it off the beach but we were all safe.

Since then, It’s always been on my mind as to what is really the right move. Head for land? Beach? Open water?

Closest leeward shore or protection if you can get there to ride it out. If you have time, pull it.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Closest leeward shore or protection if you can get there to ride it out. If you have time, pull it.

Wouldn’t the leeward shore have the biggest waves and potential for boat damage? Is it for passenger safety?

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Because we're talking in reference to a lake vs an island it's kinda backwards in that the leeward shore is hit before windward.
Leeward shore faces same direction as wind.
Windward shore faces at the wind.
For Sunday nights storm the Az shore was leeward.

cofooter

Reaction score
Because we're talking in reference to a lake vs an island it's kinda backwards in that the leeward shore is hit before windward.
Leeward shore faces same direction as wind.
Windward shore faces at the wind.
For Sunday nights storm the Az shore was leeward.
Not sure I agree with that, the meaning of leeward is sheltered/protected. Why would it make a difference on a lake vs island, never seen that distinction.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with that, the meaning of leeward is sheltered/protected. Why would it make a difference on a lake vs island, never seen that distinction.
Leeward is the shore which the wind passes over as it goes offshore. Windward the wind passes over going onshore. Always big waves on windward Generally used to refer to islands not inland lakes.
Gladly be corrected by a smarter knowledgeable individual because all I did was read various internet pages:D:D

77charger

Reaction score
This leeward windward shores got me confused. All I know if on water I'm headed to the shore or a cove that the wind is blowing from if possible.

I've been on powell when the wind has picked up and one trip we headed into dungeon canyon found a small cove enough for our 2 boats that was protected by a 20 ft rock but about 20 ft behind our boats water was nasty. Sat for 2 hours there nice beach too.

cofooter

Reaction score
This leeward windward shores got me confused. All I know if on water I'm headed to the shore or a cove that the wind is blowing from if possible.

I've been on powell when the wind has picked up and one trip we headed into dungeon canyon found a small cove enough for our 2 boats that was protected by a 20 ft rock but about 20 ft behind our boats water was nasty. Sat for 2 hours there nice beach too.

Right, go where there are no waves, you should be good!! haha

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
Lots of factors in the equation!
Boat you are in. Direction of wind vs position on the beach. If you have a good place to tuck into or not . Your skill level as a captain and knowing your vessels capabilities, and decision making all come in to play real quick as every situation is different.

gqchris

Reaction score
I got caught once in a monsoon. Ducked into the cove right before contact point. Anchored the boat bow out with plenty of scope. Tied the transom off to a tree and we waited it out on the beach. It was my 21’ jet. It rode it out and worked out. But it was quick thinking and pucker factor for a while.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
With smart phones... there is absolutely no reason for anyone to be surprised with this past storm.

“Oh it didn’t look bad.... I never thought it would have been so windy”

Should be translated as “it won’t happen to me”

I have zero sympathy for the damage to boats... sorry - can’t fix stupid.