WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Police shoot, kill armed man in Huntington Beach

wash11

Reaction score
Can you imagine the shame of being shot by an officer wearing shorts and tactical tights?

The guy in tights is a family friend, he's covered in tats so he's gotta suit up. He's actually a detective, so not his usual gig, but HBPD is short handed so you either volunteer for day shift walking the beach or you are voluntold that you are working nights😁.

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm sure he's a swell guy and a good cop, but he looks completely ridiculous. He should honestly just wear a pair of 5-11 tactical pants instead of the shorts/tights combination, and stop trying to look "Cool." If he showed up for an emergency call for service, I would have a hard time taking him serious, based on that getup alone. No dog in the fight, just giving my opinion. 👍

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
This is why the EDC is so important, even at the beach. Must carry at all times. Never know when you will need to protect yourself and family. Im off to HotRoads and Handguns to practice, need to go more often!
Unfortunately yore 💯 correct about EDC! You never know when your going to encounter somebody like this who has no regard for human life or his own. Just glad nobody else was hurt/killed by random gunfire. He obviously was trying to take down some LEO’s. Glad the Good Guys won this time!!

MPHSystems

Hallett 240
Reaction score
California Police shot and killed an armed man on the sand in Huntington Bea

Police said they received reports around 3:15 p.m. of a suspicious man with a gun at Huntington City Beach, according to a statement released on social media Saturday night.

Police approached him on the sand, where they say the subject was “noncompliant” with officers’ orders, leading to cops opening fire.

“Various lifesaving measures were provided, and the subject was transported to a local hospital where he was later pronounced deceased,” police said.

A gun was recovered at the scene, according to police.

The man wasn’t identified.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department will now lead the investigation into the shooting, police said.

California police say the unidentified man was noncompliant with responding officers at Huntington Beach on Sept. 25, 2021. California police say the unidentified man was “noncompliant” with responding officers at Huntington Beach on Sept. 25, 2021.Ana Leticia Police say they've recovered a gun at the scene of the shooting.'ve recovered a gun at the scene of the shooting.

Police say they’ve recovered a gun at the scene of the shooting.

Photos and videos circulated on social media showed the wounded man lying on his back in the sand, not moving.

“We started hearing pop, pop, pop,” Hector Tovar, who lives nearby, told the OC Register. “I thought it was fireworks, that’s how many rounds there were.”

A large section of the beach was cordoned off while law enforcement investigated.

The man wasn’t identified.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department will now lead the investigation into the shooting, police said.

Photos and videos circulated on social media showed the wounded man lying on his back in the sand, not moving.

“We started hearing pop, pop, pop,” Hector Tovar, who lives nearby, told the OC Register. “I thought it was fireworks, that’s how many rounds there were.”

A large section of the beach was cordoned off while law enforcement investigated.

The surf tournament is expected to go on as planned on Sunday.

View attachment 1053304

Sounds like there are describing me, a non compliant susppicious man on the sand with a gun…. Chek check and check, that’s me.

Unfortunately for HB, the guy looks black and the cops look white. Let the parties commence!

Anyone know if Kyle Rittenhouse is available for crowd control? That kid is aces!

Last edited:

just_floatin

Reaction score
Black shorts, white tee's, socks pulled to the knees...no loss
So ten people at the beach start yelling “gun” to LEO all while recording and dialing 911. This scenario would put any individual in the same precarious situation. Once LEO arrives adrenaline kicks-in and paradigms change how they views the situation. I have still yet to find a weapon at the scene. But hey black shorts, tee shirt, tube socks pointing two fingers under a tee shirt. Execute the person.
0D125E2B-C80F-442B-BC57-56827D7E1073.png
F9E46EED-21F4-46C6-A3FF-F7FB420335EB.jpeg

Attachments

• E8C5725B-E239-4164-A648-CC65A0557CC4.png
    E8C5725B-E239-4164-A648-CC65A0557CC4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
So ten people at the beach start yelling “gun” to LEO all while recording and dialing 911. This scenario would put any individual in the same precarious situation. Once LEO arrives adrenaline kicks-in and paradigms change how they views the situation. I have still yet to find a weapon found at the scene. But hey black shorts, tee shirt, tube socks pointing two fingers under a tee shirt. Execute the person.
View attachment 1053518
Was he a straight A student on his way bring puppies to the old folks home?

HBCraig

Reaction score
So ten people at the beach start yelling “gun” to LEO all while recording and dialing 911. This scenario would put any individual in the same precarious situation. Once LEO arrives adrenaline kicks-in and paradigms change how they views the situation. I have still yet to find a weapon at the scene. But hey black shorts, tee shirt, tube socks pointing two fingers under a tee shirt. Execute the person.
View attachment 1053518 View attachment 1053519
They found a weapon. That was stated yesterday. So, that yesterday's news

Dettom

Reaction score
So what caliber was the said weapon that was retrieved by the HBPD? Anyone see the weapon in the video? Look the link below for a higher resolution video. Notice the headline story “Alleged Gunman.” Mexican armed with a tee shirt is all I see🤔.

Heaven forbid in today’s world a gun barrel and camera never gets pointed at you and we get watch and comment on yore demise. Carry On with the whole judge and jury routine. The days of reckoning are coming and yore perception of the folks you are cheerleading on the sidelines for will change soon enough.
You are missing the point. Pulling the trigger was the wrong call.
OCSO will do the investigation. Maybe when it’s complete they can come back to you and get your expert opinion based on viewing one video and reverse their decision, because, hey it’s the wrong call. Sounds pretty solid to me..

just_floatin

Reaction score
OCSO will do the investigation. Maybe when it’s complete they can come back to you and get your expert opinion based on viewing one video and reverse their decision, because, hey it’s the wrong call. Sounds pretty solid to me..
F69705BF-E1B5-446F-ABFD-A04CB55B6E4B.jpeg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Hold-Up . . Let me ask you this . . . Suppose you're a cop, you get a call for a "man with a gun at the pier when there's a large surf contest going on" . . . you book it down there, you confront what looks to be a male suspect in his 40's shaved head, white t-shirt, long shorts, socks pulled up to the knees, and he's non-compliant, he raises his t-shirt-covered hand and points it at you . . . . but you're solid that it's a 'Wrong Call' to draw your duty weapon to defend yourself right? Never mind your wife / kids and other family, heck you didn't want to be on this planet in the 1st place . . . . would it be better to take fire to confirm it is indeed a gun? After all, he probably won't hit you with the 1st round and that will give you plenty of time to decide if you should return fire. Then you can decide what caliber it is and determine if it's enough to kill you or not. In the meantime, while you're processing all this, you reach into your back pocket and grab a business card for a Social Worker and flip it to him, and say "Hey Man, hold-Up, i'm just trying to get you the help you need" . . . . wait, that might be discriminatory to assume someone needs help, I take that back . . . . maybe just flip the dude a $20 and call it good?
You tell Me.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Pretty sure if he didn't point 'found' weapon at officers this upstanding gentleman would still be on this planet today Sir.

just_floatin

Reaction score
based on the gun being found you are changing your opinion…right?
I am weary of all shootings involving LEO having been on the other side of the proverbial “good guys” barrel because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Had I seen the weapon or anything resembling a weapon, the perp deserved what he got.

All I have found online is a generic Police statement, pictures on the scene with no weapon and news reports with no concrete evidence. I am not sure I agree with using deadly force lighting the guy up on the sand makes it easier because it was at a public surfing competition.

The ask is simple, surface the weapon. Still looks like two fingers in the picture. I got no dog in this hunt and if what is happening in Australia hits our shores, this discussion will soon be a mute point. Carry on.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I am weary of all shootings involving LEO having been on the other side of the proverbial “good guys” barrel because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Had I seen the weapon or anything resembling a weapon, the perp deserved what he got.

All I have found online is a generic Police statement, pictures on the scene with no weapon and news reports with no concrete evidence. I am not sure I agree with using deadly force lighting the guy up on the sand makes it easier because it was at a public surfing competition.

The ask is simple, surface the weapon. Still looks like two fingers in the picture. I got no dog in this hunt and if what is happening in Australia hits our shores, this discussion will soon be a mute point. Carry on.

Listen to the cops and don’t get killed, it is very simple. Like I said in the Australia thread, the cops have a sense of self preservation. The same thing will happen here if it slides that far.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score

understand but…I am assuming the reports of him having a gun and brandishing it are true. If he had a gun adios

my first thought has been it was a cop suicide

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
understand but…I am assuming the reports of him having a gun and brandishing it are true. If he had a gun adios

It obviously is, as he’s scrambling for his t shirt after going down.

I’m sure the toxicology report will find nothing at all in his system and I’m sure he’s just some RE broker from Irvine with a family and no priors that just happened to be in the wrong place any the wrong time -with a gun, acting irrationally, causing trouble, threatening others, and deciding not to listen to police.🤣

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Maybe they could've come in on horseback like in the old westerns . . . you know, with a 'Lasso' spinning over their cowboy hats, . . . then threw it over his feet , tied him off and raised their hands to get the time !!!! 😎 🤣 😎 🤣

(Did I just use the word 'Lasso' ???. . . awesome)

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
How can you say the cops made the wrong call? Were you there? Did you see/hear and experience everything each cop did? What kind of training do you have specific to deadly force encounters? Do you know all of the facts including what this person might have done leading up this shooting?

So, based on the knowledge you have, what would you have done? Give me your plan of action that ensures the safety of innocent bystanders, other police officers and other potential bad guys that might be nearby?

HBCraig

Reaction score

That's what some witnesses were saying. He was wanting to die. The area where it happened was near a restaurant on the beach. I guess a few small kids saw the whole thing and were pretty shaken up as you would expect.
I have done some testifying in the past about accidents and being in a "hyper vigilant " state. I was assume being an officer and having a weapon pointed at you were be an extreme hyper vigilant situation. All your senses become heightened and reaction time improves. In my humble opinion, pulling the trigger was what he had to do 100%

Taboma

Reaction score
So let's play "What If" --- what if this individual who's portraying himself as a gang banger, was robbing surf shop customers with nothing more than a towel wrapped around two fingers.
Assuming he was rather close to his victims as he performed this ruse, it apparently was good enough to fool these folks.
Theses folks and possibly witnesses dialed their phones, reporting the incidents to LEO, who responded to this individual robbing people at gun point.

LEO find and surround, order perp to drop the perceived weapon, perp has towel covering fingers pointed at LEO, who are at a much further distance away than any previous victims.
Perp could have simply complied by dropping the towel revealing two fingers, also dropped his fingers then dropped to the ground.
But alas, he did not, he pointed towel in a manner to suggest it was concealing a gun and he's now dead. Then, after being apparently shot and now on the ground,
made a valiant attempt to reach for said towel, perhaps thinking he still had a chance at fooling and intimidating the LEO.

I believe there was a weapon, I believe the people he robbed saw a weapon, not just a draped towel hiding two fingers.
I'm mostly quite amazed he only sustained two gun shot wounds, I'd figured closer to twenty. Seems they did however shot the living shit out of the sand.

HBCraig

Reaction score
How can you say the cops made the wrong call? Were you there? Did you see/hear and experience everything each cop did? What kind of training do you have specific to deadly force encounters? Do you know all of the facts including what this person might have done leading up this shooting?

So, based on the knowledge you have, what would you have done? Give me your plan of action that ensures the safety of innocent bystanders, other police officers and other potential bad guys that might be nearby?
Remind you, just prior to this, there were numerous reports of said suspect robbing patrons at gunpoint

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Agree to disagree.

The video I see is a man that isn't complying while concealing his hands. As you stated, several people were informing police this guy had a gun, so at that point, it is assumed he's got it in his concealed hands. That's a green light in my opinion, and what seems to be suicide by cop.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So let's play "What If" --- what if this individual who's portraying himself as a gang banger, was robbing surf shop customers with nothing more than a towel wrapped around two fingers.
Assuming he was rather close to his victims as he performed this ruse, it apparently was good enough to fool these folks.
Theses folks and possibly witnesses dialed their phones, reporting the incidents to LEO, who responded to this individual robbing people at gun point.

LEO find and surround, order perp to drop the perceived weapon, perp has towel covering fingers pointed at LEO, who are at a much further distance away than any previous victims.
Perp could have simply complied by dropping the towel revealing two fingers, also dropped his fingers then dropped to the ground.
But alas, he did not, he pointed towel in a manner to suggest it was concealing a gun and he's now dead. Then, after being apparently shot and now on the ground,
made a valiant attempt to reach for said towel, perhaps thinking he still had a chance at fooling and intimidating the LEO.

I believe there was a weapon, I believe the people he robbed saw a weapon, not just a draped towel hiding two fingers.
I'm mostly quite amazed he only sustained two gun shot wounds, I'd figured closer to twenty. Seems they did however shot the living shit out of the sand.

Yep that sand is dead for sure.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
you sir are the definition of a fucktard. Did you watch the multiple videos? Did you read the report from the HBPD? Fuckin move to minneapolis

Taboma

Reaction score
Yep that sand is dead for sure.

Is that area of sand now considered hazardous waste due to it's high lead content and require trucking off to Idaho where California dumps all it's hazards trash, like liberals as one example ?

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

You can change the facts/scenario and possibly come to the same outcome. Each one of these police shootings has its own facts and is a unique case. Under the current case law, cops are not judged by what we know on Monday morning. There are judged on ALL the FACTS and what the individual officer knew and perceived at the time he/she used deadly force.

I don't know what this guy was thinking or if he wanted to die and didn't have the guts to do it himself. The investigation will take some time as always and could fill in some of these questions folks have.

As far as how many rounds were fired, how many hit the bad guy and other facts, that will be determined by the investigation. Anything heard right now is simply speculation.

just_floatin

Reaction score

Where is the weapon? Nine out of ten crime scenes display the weapon. I certainly would not question the situation had I seen a weapon as reported. Having said that, if the perp pointed a phone or any projectile at LEO, stupid games stupid prizes. Personally I think the perp wanted to die by police suicide as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Let’s wait for the HB police body cam to be released. Personally I side with LEO, however, hold them to the same level of accountability as the rest of us non LEO citizens. Given the evidence thus far, if perp is a black 43 year old male same attire. All hell would break loose in HB. Nobody wants that

From the 50,000’ level.
CNN 👇🏽
Same CNN 👇🏽

Dettom

Reaction score
Hold-Up . . Let me ask you this . . . Suppose you're a cop, you get a call for a "man with a gun at the pier when there's a large surf contest going on" . . . you book it down there, you confront what looks to be a male suspect in his 40's shaved head, white t-shirt, long shorts, socks pulled up to the knees, and he's non-compliant, he raises his t-shirt-covered hand and points it at you . . . . but you're solid that it's a 'Wrong Call' to draw your duty weapon to defend yourself right? Never mind your wife / kids and other family, heck you didn't want to be on this planet in the 1st place . . . . would it be better to take fire to confirm it is indeed a gun? After all, he probably won't hit you with the 1st round and that will give you plenty of time to decide if you should return fire. Then you can decide what caliber it is and determine if it's enough to kill you or not. In the meantime, while you're processing all this, you reach into your back pocket and grab a business card for a Social Worker and flip it to him, and say "Hey Man, hold-Up, i'm just trying to get you the help you need" . . . . wait, that might be discriminatory to assume someone needs help, I take that back . . . . maybe just flip the dude a $20 and call it good?
You tell Me.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Taboma

Reaction score
Cops good, Cops bad, laws we believe in and concur with good, others are bad and let anarchy reign supreme.

Some LEO on RDP set excellent examples with their conduct and properly represent the badge and law.

Others, as witnessed both in public and on this very forum, are a disgrace with a "I'm Bob Bitchin and You're Not, God Complex".

Some laws we feel should be vigorously enforced, while others we don't personally agree with, shouldn't be enforced at all and we should rise up and rebel.

We should comply with LEO directives only when we agree with the law he or she is attempting to enforce. It's a free country, we should each have the right to decide.

LEO should be required to enquire prior to attempting enforced, to see how we really feel.

LEO should only shoot you if you try to shoot them first, least they make a mistake and you're just holding up your fingers shouting "Bang Bang".

I my youthful rowdy days, it used to be a whole lot more simple, but that's when I could run faster and further. 😂
Now I just place my hands on the wheel and shut the fuck up. :oops:

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
yes
Maybe they could've come in on horseback like in the old westerns . . . you know, with a 'Lasso' spinning over their cowboy hats, . . . then threw it over his feet , tied him off and raised their hands to get the time !!!! 😎 🤣 😎 🤣

(Did I just use the word 'Lasso' ???. . . awesome)
! they could work up an ol' number 6 on his ass!

HBCraig

Reaction score
Where is the weapon? Nine out of ten crime scenes display the weapon. I certainly would not question the situation had I seen a weapon as reported. Having said that, if the perp pointed a phone or any projectile at LEO, stupid games stupid prizes. Personally I think the perp wanted to die by police suicide as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Let’s wait for the HB police body cam to be released. Personally I side with LEO, however, hold them to the same level of accountability as the rest of us non LEO citizens. Given the evidence thus far, if perp is a black 43 year old male same attire. All hell would break loose in HB. Nobody wants that

From the 50,000’ level.
CNN 👇🏽
Same CNN 👇🏽
Sorry but CNN cannot be a reliable source of information in any case or scenario

Dettom

Reaction score

I’m weary of going to funerals for dead cops. Seeing the grief inflicted on their family, kids, friends and co-workers etc.. I’m tired of seeing the smug and satisfied looks on the faces of media who gleefully report cops getting killed, usually these days, in an ambush, or they waited too long to react because they had second thoughts about the media and politicians going after everything they worked for and gave the POS the upper hand. In a gunfight, there no such thing as second place. And even when you win, you lose.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

From the 50,000’ level.
CNN 👇🏽
Same CNN 👇🏽

During the live KTLA news feed I was watching later that day the news woman was showing the detectives taking inventory of evidence and they showed the gun as a detective was examining it. Looked to be a Glock 9mm covered in sand.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
My daughter-in-law was at the nearby restaurant. One in her group went over to look at the commotion going on. When the shooting started, they ran into the restaurant kitchen to take cover.

just_floatin

Reaction score
During the live KTLA news feed I was watching later that day the news woman was showing the detectives taking inventory of evidence and they showed the gun as a detective was examining it. Looked to be a Glock 9mm covered in sand.
This clip?

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

From the 50,000’ level.
CNN 👇🏽
Same CNN 👇🏽
Not sure where you get the 9 out of 10 stat but that hasn't been my experience over the course of the last 30 plus years.

Video such as cell phone video, surveillance video or body worn camera video can be valuable but its just one piece or perspective of the incident.

All the facts in case like this don't hit the press immediately. Law enforcement will not generally parade the evidence around in the media. On some cases cities/counties will make a decision to release pics of a weapon or other evidence early on. We will have to wait and see in this case.

As far as accountability goes police are held to a very accountable standard, as it should be. Everything thing is on video nowadays. The officers in this case will be investigated by a team that will collect facts and present them to the local district attorney's office who will carefully analyze ALL of the evidence. Their review of the facts will determine if any of the police officers violated criminal law. Their agency will investigate if they violated any department policies. If they did, they are subject to discipline up to termination. They will also in all probability be the subject of a civil lawsuit.

Not sure where you work but are you that accountable for a split second life or death decision at work? Or anywhere in your personal life?

gqchris

Reaction score
My daughter-in-law was at the nearby restaurant. One in her group went over to look at the commotion going on. When the shooting started, they ran into the restaurant kitchen to take cover.
I eat at that restaurant all the time. This shit hit close to home and Im getting my ass to the range later today.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
This clip?

That’s not the broadcast I saw. Your link appears to be the morning after.

I think it was the 10pm broadcast the same day when detectives were still actively working the scene and a detective was physically inspecting the gun. I remember clearly saying to myself it looked like a Glock 19, I have the same gun.

just_floatin

Reaction score
Looks like a taser was the first option used by HBPD in the clip below.
The second video (NSFW) appears to show an outline of a weapon in the end. The report states no body cams were worn. Case closed. Suicide by cop.