WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

polish th 400 case

HYLIFE

Reaction score
Looking to have a TH 400 trans case polished, any leads for good work? thanks

Got to thinking about this too, with the amount of horsepower and torque involved (about 1200)what are your opinions on updated shafts and sprags and any else in a th 400 that could be improved? I think the second gear drum turns more than engine rpm, so there is a lot of rotating mass involved at times. With people sitting on top of the trans, and seeing a thread on another site about a recently exploding flywheel it starts to make me wonder more about safety issues. I have always used good quality billet flywheels, just wondering about other parts.

Last edited:

Deangang

v-drive row member
Reaction score
What kind of boat ,power and I'm guessing a vdrive?or?

Darren

Deangang

v-drive row member
Reaction score
I have a very similar set up 22 schiada 1200 horse 540 tt 38 gears . I had an Art Carr that let go last season,broke the case into hundreds of pieces. I had a mikes transmissions Manuel shift turbo 400 competition model that was sitting in my garage so I had it stripped down and sent the case over to Kaleidoscope Polishing in Gardena there not cheap but they are good. Just make sure that you grind any of the ears or imperfections that were cast into the case off before you take it there. Added a deep pan and reversed the valve body .The trans has worked flawlessly since.

Darren

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
John Killgore for the trans work in Burbank and Derek at DMP fasteners for the polishing, in Chatsworth. John has built some 'unbreakable' close ratio T-400's for me in the past. Derek (DMP) has been doing "show quality at working man's prices" on boats, bikes and cars for over 20 years. I have used his polishing services all the way back when he was in Reseda. TOP QUALITY WORK at reasonable prices......

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Looking to have a TH 400 trans case polished, any leads for good work? thanks

Got to thinking about this too, with the amount of horsepower and torque involved (about 1200)what are your opinions on updated shafts and sprags and any else in a th 400 that could be improved? I think the second gear drum turns more than engine rpm, so there is a lot of rotating mass involved at times. With people sitting on top of the trans, and seeing a thread on another site about a recently exploding flywheel it starts to make me wonder more about safety issues. I have always used good quality billet flywheels, just wondering about other parts.

I have a guy that has polished a couple of T400's for some really nice boats, not a bad deal. I am Glendora.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I have a guy that has polished a couple of T400's for some really nice boats, not a bad deal. I am Glendora.

Barry's guy is who did my re-polish!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353388780.534495.jpg

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
That looks great!!!!! What kind of coupler unit are you using to connect engine to trans? and a flywheel or flexplate?

Using a spline drive and a flywheel.

HYLIFE

Reaction score
Finally got th 400 stripped down and sent to dmp for polish, should have it back by the end of the week, thanks!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Finally got th 400 stripped down and sent to dmp for polish, should have it back by the end of the week, thanks!!

Do yourself a favor and call nantech coatings on here when you get it back.. They can apply a clear coat on it that will keep it polished for the lifetime of the tranny.

RD