WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

polishing aluminum ?

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score

Last edited:

Director...
Reaction score
I have a peice of aluminum that is a little rough, what sequence of sand paper should I use before I polish it out?

How rough?.....I have started on parts I have done with 80 grit......and worked up

If it was a previously polished piece......and just got ugly looking ....whatever grit that will take out any scratches......400....then up to 1500...then I put it on the wheel..aluminum is pretty forgiving

Director...
Reaction score
slightly pitted looks like it may have been bead blasted

The idea is to start with the finest grit that will remove any scratches or pitts in a reasonable amount of time....If you have a wheel setup....sand out deep scratches and level any pitts......and start with the grey wheel compound...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
White Works, do you just have to polish one part? or is there a series?

RD

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
it turned out pretty good didnt get to crazy trying to make it perfect just cleaned it up a bit. polishing aluminum is a bitch.
airbox2.jpg
airbox1.jpg

Whenever i hand polish aluminum (though usually i'm doing it on parts i can turn in the lathe) i'll use some good wet/dry paper with wd-40, keep the paper and part wet, it helps stop clogging of the paper and really improves the time it takes to polish out.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
it turned out pretty good didnt get to crazy trying to make it perfect just cleaned it up a bit. polishing aluminum is a bitch.
airbox2.jpg
airbox1.jpg

Yes.. Yes it is, one of the few parts of metal working I genuinely do not enjoy. I tend to just take everything to a local guy becuase it's not worth my time and frustration.

RD