WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Poll - 2 Door or 4 Door SxS for Havasu???

2 Door or 4 Door SxS for Havasu?

• 2 Door

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • 4 Door

Votes: 90 81.8%

• Total voters

riverroyal

Reaction score
I think those are stock for 2020. I’ve been looking at the Baja Designs headlight assembly, my stock ones suck!
Im buying Baja design stuff today. The BD head lights are pretty expensive. right at 12000 lumens for $1200. BUT, your not really adding 12000 since your removing the stock ones. The better way to spend money I think is adding more lights, not replacing. Im getting the 10" shock tower. I have the sector 7 mirrors with lights now. We left topock in the dark saturday in dust. It sucked.

Reactions: DLC

riverroyal

Reaction score
In HAVASU the only real adjustments needed are when your in the wash board.... It’s so bad and chattering shaking the car even at 50-60 mph
Its so bad right now. The wash to topock will make your insides hurt. NO matter what speed or $$$ into suspension.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
In HAVASU the only real adjustments needed are when your in the wash board.... It’s so bad and chattering shaking the car even at 50-60 mph

What WOULD you do for the washboards in your car if you were going to hop out and change anything. I would imagine you would soften rebound and high speed compression, leaving low speed compression alone.

That is the thing, the Smart Shox don't have any conpression adjustment, except passively bypassing oil around the piston, so I can totally see why the car would start bucking over medium whoops... The thing could be absolutely miserable in a rough Havasu wash.

PlanB

Reaction score
What WOULD you do for the washboards in your car if you were going to hop out and change anything. I would imagine you would soften rebound and high speed compression, leaving low speed compression alone.

That is the thing, the Smart Shox don't have any conpression adjustment, except passively bypassing oil around the piston, so I can totally see why the car would start bucking over medium whoops... The thing could be absolutely miserable in a rough Havasu wash.

ST said anything over 10" is really rough with the Smart Shox from the factory.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Im buying Baja design stuff today. The BD head lights are pretty expensive. right at 12000 lumens for $1200. BUT, your not really adding 12000 since your removing the stock ones. The better way to spend money I think is adding more lights, not replacing. Im getting the 10" shock tower. I have the sector 7 mirrors with lights now. We left topock in the dark saturday in dust. It sucked.

@DLC has the shock tower light. Get it in amber. It is freaking amazing in the dust day or night. If I cant see Doug's front amber light glowing in my rearview mirror I know he was lost miles ago, probably never to be found.

I think you are on the right track, spend the money on additional lights, not replacing the headlights.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Its so bad right now. The wash to topock will make your insides hurt. NO matter what speed or $$$ into suspension.

How fast were you going? It smooths out and is bearable @ 55 approaching 60. It is brutal from 40-55 though if I have to slow down or speed up.

DLC

Reaction score

it would bad ass to deflate your tires like down to 6 psi to soak up the chatter.... shocks I don’t think you can dampen that chatter

DLC

Reaction score

they have a high low beam wire set up so ask about it when you get your lights

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
it would bad ass to deflate your tires like down to 6 psi to soak up the chatter.... shocks I don’t think you can dampen that chatter

Yea that is true. With my single adjustable shocks it is all a compromise. I think I could get it better with a triple adjustable setup like yours, but it would sacrifice some stability. I think softening just the high speed compression might help. Deflating the tires would help too, but again we'd lose stability.

DLC

Reaction score

I haven’t ridden to Topoc which way do you go? I can get to the bridge just west of the AZ check point. I think it’s 7 mile bridge
EF7390E0-A5DD-4F01-922F-37546AF9ED60.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
Yea that is true. With my single adjustable shocks it is all a compromise. I think I could get it better with a triple adjustable setup like yours, but it would sacrifice some stability. I think softening just the high speed compression might help. Deflating the tires would help too, but again we'd lose stability.

the shock doesn’t move very much on that chatter and it happens so fast. It would be best to head out with a 12 pack and AC in a jeep with a section of chain link and smooth it out.

I like the side trail we did that was way more fun.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
the shock doesn’t move very much on that chatter and it happens so fast. It would be best to head out with a 12 pack and AC in a jeep with a section of chain link and smooth it out.

I like the side trail we did that was way more fun.

Yea the shock adjustment will only help so much. Honestly I think the Walker links are the biggest help out there.

Yea I want to use that route from now on. That reminds me, I have a GPS surprise for you next time I see you.

riverroyal

Reaction score
How fast were you going? It smooths out and is bearable @ 55 approaching 60. It is brutal from 40-55 though if I have to slow down or speed up.
Not 55. I was going faster than my lights already

I have the walker links. Meh.
they work but not a big improvement

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Yea at night in an unfamiliar wash you are kind of relegated to a slower speed.

In that stuff the walker links help once you are "on top" of the washboards/small whoops. Below that speed they are just a mild improvement, as they only free you up for about 6 inches of total wheel travel.

gqchris

Reaction score
I hate the damn Havasu washes. LOL....I almost wanted to turn around on the Alamo trip, I was like, "Please dont tell me we have 130 more miles of this shit!" LOL

And I drive like a Grandpa, so pretty much was just taking them as they come!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I hate the damn Havasu washes. LOL....I almost wanted to turn around on the Alamo trip, I was like, "Please dont tell me we have 130 more miles of this shit!" LOL

And I drive like a Grandpa, so pretty much was just taking them as they come!

You have to hit them at over 50.. unfortunately that is not safe or predent all the time

Fenderbender

Reaction score

Well I don't own a SXS but for mountain bike and Moto small bump compliance would be a low speed compression adjustment. I would try leaving all other settings alone and making a significant adjustment to the LSC and see how it feels.

c_land

Reaction score
Yea the shock adjustment will only help so much. Honestly I think the Walker links are the biggest help out there.

Yea I want to use that route from now on. That reminds me, I have a GPS surprise for you next time I see you.

I have the walker links too. The only thing I notice it when you're on the brakes hard in the chatter it helps a little.

I just turn all the shocks compression to zero and let her eat. 🤷‍♂️

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Well I don't own a SXS but for mountain bike and Moto small bump compliance would be a low speed compression adjustment. I would try leaving all other settings alone and making a significant adjustment to the LSC and see how it feels.

You are 100% right, I had it backwards, don't know what I was thinking haha!

Last edited:

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
S3 makes good stuff. My dealer had one of their shock towers and it was very similar to the TMW one I have. You should be good to go. As far as the radius rods, the TMW pull plate in my pic's was on sale recently for $75.00. (I paid $100.00). they still might be on sale if you check their site. It's the only one I found that offers true double shear for the upper and lower rods.

Edit: Still on sale

Here is the TMW bulkhead kit if you want to compare it to the one from S3:

Save your cash and get what you need during Black Friday sales.

Watch the Shock Therapy videos on bulletproofing the X3. It is more than you will need but gives you an idea on what breaks and where to spend money.

The rear hub bushing/reinforcement deal is cheaper than a single hub. You’ll be buying 2 hubs eventually if you don’t do that.

Thanks guys,

So I watched all the videos and ordered the gusset kit, front shock tower support brace and front bumper all in octane blue from S3 power sports. They had 13% off for Halloween.

Also ordered 3 inch spacers from Super ATV but a local shop said don't put them on or do the fox tune. I started a thread about feedback. Dont want to thread jack so will leave it at that.

But the next few weekends is going to be busy getting ready for the thanksgiving trip.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have the walker links too. The only thing I notice it when you're on the brakes hard in the chatter it helps a little.

I just turn all the shocks compression to zero and let her eat. 🤷‍♂️

Good point.. They do cut down the wheel hop when you hit the brakes.

c_land

Reaction score
XP Pro R is coming in December.
2L 4cyl engine. I was told 230HP. 72+ inches wide. 5 lug wheels/hubs. Still on CVT.

The marketing shots that i have seen look similar to the XP pro. The whole thing looks a lot bigger though so it may even be wider than 72.

satellitemike

Reaction score
XP Pro R is coming in December.
2L 4cyl engine. I was told 230HP. 72+ inches wide. 5 lug wheels/hubs. Still on CVT.

The marketing shots that i have seen look similar to the XP pro. The whole thing looks a lot bigger though so it may even be wider than 72.
Damn and I was about ready to pull the trigger on a XP pro. Just did a quick google search and nothing out there?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Damn and I was about ready to pull the trigger on a XP pro. Just did a quick google search and nothing out there?

The spy shots were out a few months ago. It has the 2.0 engine out of a slingshot in it. The problem is that it is 2.0 NA, so making it any faster is gonna be a boatload of cash, although it should have decent power.

This opens the door for another level of progression though, as many regulations will have to be changed to support UTVs with over 1000CC in their current form. Emissions, crash testing, helmet laws will all need to be adjusted.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The spy shots were out a few months ago. It has the 2.0 engine out of a slingshot in it. The problem is that it is 2.0 NA, so making it any faster is gonna be a boatload of cash, although it should have decent power.

This opens the door for another level of progression though, as many regulations will have to be changed to support UTVs with over 1000CC in their current form. Emissions, crash testing, helmet laws will all need to be adjusted.

On one of the shock therapy live videos they mentioned COVID delayed the Pro R until at least spring, early summer 2021. Seems like it could be a badass car, will be interesting to see what our legislative overlords decide to do with it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
On one of the shock therapy live videos they mentioned COVID delayed the Pro R until at least spring, early summer 2021. Seems like it could be a badass car, will be interesting to see what our legislative overlords decide to do with it.

I don't see it dropping in December personally. Too late in the desert season, and its pretty cold in the rest of the country. But I don't have any insider info either.

PlanB

Reaction score
Picked the car up. Doors were supposed to be silver, but I actually like the red better so I am going to get the rear fenders wrapped to match. Still waiting on PRP to finish the nets (cage is tabbed for them) and for the side mirrors to come back from powder coat. I think the only thing left for now is GPS.

A42A11DE-878E-4B16-A0BD-2B72849E00FF.jpeg
0336B4CD-DE1B-4D86-8418-A3FD26724F3A.jpeg
3226A4AD-CAA4-40D3-A621-977766B5A00E.jpeg
73BBD0F3-26DE-4DB8-9A7E-FD279DB26022.jpeg
CA520C1A-60AD-4C36-8947-EBC2B216ED19.jpeg
73C148D7-AE75-40BE-9A23-4FE39CD0FA47.jpeg
507FB3F3-871E-4E46-B2E5-16B5A5FC1EE3.jpeg
DC13A9FE-34BD-4B0D-B506-AEDBCE4C961F.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Picked the car up. Doors were supposed to be silver, but I actually like the red better so I am going to get the rear fenders wrapped to match. Still waiting on PRP to finish the nets (cage is tabbed for them) and for the side mirrors to come back from powder coat. I think the only thing left for now is GPS.

. View attachment 951183 View attachment 951184 View attachment 951185 View attachment 951186 View attachment 951188 View attachment 951189 View attachment 951191 View attachment 951192

Holy hell that turned out bad ass. You NEED gold wheels.

Last edited:

37 boat

Reaction score

. View attachment 951183 View attachment 951184 View attachment 951185 View attachment 951186 View attachment 951188 View attachment 951189 View attachment 951191 View attachment 951192
Car looks awesome 👍

SKIDMARC

Reaction score

I’m not usually a red fan but that thing looks sick!!!! You probably have more in upgrades than I spent on my 2021 DS model. I love the rim tire combo!!!!

NoOtherWay

Reaction score
Just curious, who has a deposit down on a Speed UTV besides Dave? 2 door or 4?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Just curious, who has a deposit down on a Speed UTV besides Dave? 2 door or 4?
We would have, but I probably wouldn’t have gotten it for at least a year, so we bought a can am.

PlanB

Reaction score
I’m not usually a red fan but that thing looks sick!!!! You probably have more in upgrades than I spent on my 2021 DS model. I love the rim tire combo!!!!

Yeah, I think the Can Am Red is actually a nice color. I was a little surprised when I drove up to the shop and the doors were red. Once the fenders match I think it will look good.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the Can Am Red is actually a nice color. I was a little surprised when I drove up to the shop and the doors were red. Once the fenders match I think it will look good.

I really like how it looks in all red.

PlanB

Reaction score
Got a package from PCI tonight. They threw a bunch of swag in the box to go along with the GPS, Helmet comms and headset bag that I ordered. They have been great every time I have called about something, and now a great hookup on stuff. Great company!

AFF4AB11-4DCA-4CAE-A8F4-5C472AE002B6.jpeg

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Got a package from PCI tonight. They threw a bunch of swag in the box to go along with the GPS, Helmet comms and headset bag that I ordered. They have been great every time I have called about something, and now a great hookup on stuff. Great company!

View attachment 956634

Fuuuuuggggk. I bought a rugged system on cyber Monday because it was a better discount. I’ve absolutely regretted it ever since. First off, it hasn’t worked for shit with the 2021 can am because of the bigger stator. I also had to send back a cable that shorted, a alpha bass headset that doesn’t work properly and I’m missing 5 nuts and 2 screws. I’ve had the car apart about 4 times, and even had to take it Into a shop for an extra $300. Not only did it negate the savings, but it has cost me more and been extremely frustrating. I would only recommend PCI. I wish so bad I’d have just spent the extra money.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Fuuuuuggggk. I bought a rugged system on cyber Monday because it was a better discount. I’ve absolutely regretted it ever since. First off, it hasn’t worked for shit with the 2021 can am because of the bigger stator. I also had to send back a cable that shorted, a alpha bass headset that doesn’t work properly and I’m missing 5 nuts and 2 screws. I’ve had the car apart about 4 times, and even had to take it Into a shop for an extra $300. Not only did it negate the savings, but it has cost me more and been extremely frustrating. I would only recommend PCI. I wish so bad I’d have just spent the extra money.

Just a question.. is there something different in the PCI setup that would have negated your problems due to the new Can Am stator for 2021?

Frustrating for sure.

PlanB

Reaction score

That really sucks! I can't say enough about PCI. The radios worked great right out of the box, and they even overnighted some extra push pins for the install for free. They will spend time on the phone answering questions and not bullshitting you. With the GPS they explained what map to go with and did not try and upsell the more expensive one. Ordered the GPS yesterday and the box arrived this evening. Great service!

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Just a question.. is there something different in the PCI setup that would have negated your problems due to the new Can Am stator for 2021?

Frustrating for sure.
Yes, they use the kenwood filter I had to switch to... Not the inadequate rugged filter.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

View attachment 956634

Interested to see how you like the HDS Live.

Then again, my wallet maybe less interested :).

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes, they use the kenwood filter I had to switch to... Not the inadequate rugged filter.

Ahh good to know. That sucks that the Rugged one didn’t solve the noise issue you were having.

I will say I do like the Rugged headsets better than the PCI ones. The PCI hardware and cables are very good though and I feel are a bit better quality.

I know a few folks that have had issues lately with the last gen 60 watt Rugged radios, and they have taken care of them, no questions asked.

PlanB

Reaction score

Frustrating for sure.
Interested to see how you like the HDS Live.

Then again, my wallet maybe less interested :).

Faster processor and the ability to run a backup camera was the reason I went with it. It also comes with the external antenna at no extra cost, so it made sense. Just need to install it and figure out how to use it. ;)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Faster processor and the ability to run a backup camera was the reason I went with it. It also comes with the external antenna at no extra cost, so it made sense. Just need to install it and figure out how to use it. ;)

Yea I am doing the external antenna for sure this time around. I have a new 7” elite Ti2 ready to go.

Take the time to figure out how to use it. Turn off all the crap you don’t need, and customize the display to your liking. It really helps.

PlanB

Reaction score
Couple more updates: GPS installed and fenders off to get wrapped. Getting closer, at least for now.
991491CA-4619-4FED-8D59-A21AF1F0BC99.jpeg
31F49248-5DB2-4B3B-B134-14E299C03CC3.jpeg
1956F194-9274-477B-8FAF-E5BB35FA1431.jpeg
80B8E1A1-9667-422D-8742-C8283D7C2EC1.jpeg
4336715B-2880-4345-A610-11D6DDF49F50.jpeg
E01DCE0A-B332-452E-A6AF-C8398B35025D.jpeg