WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Polypropylene Gas Tanks?

HavAZd

Reaction score
Anyone have opinions, pros or cons on polypropylene tanks? I would have to check the height after putting in the floor but these tanks might work. And a lot cheaper than aluminum.

My neighbor races outboards and uses poly tanks - at over 100 mph.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new tank as well. Any insight on types would be great!

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
The issue with the glass tanks wasn't anything structural, plenty of fast boats have had glass tanks. The chemical make up combined with the chemistry of todays gas is what caused the issues in all shape and size of boats, the tanks were just being eaten away not breaking. I am not a chemist but am assuming that the Poly tanks would stand up to the new fuel and seems to be a good option. Can you get these with baffels in them, are they making for marine use? If so seems like a good option and they would look pretty cool as well.

stickman07

Reaction score
I'm in the market as well. I'm trying to get some built local, maybe a bulk purchase if enough interest. I'll update when I find out & will be looking here for updates as well. This wasn't on my to do list or in my budget, oh well what is anymore........:grumble:

stickman07

Reaction score
Well, old tanks cut out, rotten floor cut out as well (didn't see that one coming) and going to order the poly tanks today. Hope to have the ol tug spiffed up & on the water by July 4th. Torture listening to a Taylor LP running around all weekend. Time to Get ER Done !!!!

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
We've got ours ripped out as well ready for new. What kind of price have you gotten on the poly tanks?

Thanks, Mark

stickman07

Reaction score
Eastern Marine Outlet, $188.00 ea. for 19 gal. tank. From the way I see it they should work perfect. GB

alohajeff

Reaction score
Do their tanks draw fuel from the top or ??? Are they USCG approved and all that Jazz? I've got a buddy that is looking for an inexpensive option but he's very specific that the tanks must be legit in terms of design and construction.

How are the stringers? Any signs of rot?

Aloha

stickman07

Reaction score
They seem totally legit, Moeller Marine Products. USCG approved, and look very similar to the original design with the addition of sending units built in. Never had a gas gauge in mine before. Another member has a set of aluminum tanks and is gonna get me a price to ship from Cali, but may be rather expensive compared to the poly tanks. I should know which route i'm going by tomorrow. If I don't get the aluminum tanks due to shipping cost, that may be an option for your buddy. GB

stickman07

Reaction score
Everything looks good except for the original floor. I'm gonna glass in some new support stringers & lay in a raised floor like I did before, so don't see the need to replace the original. May end up being a good place for a small storage locker.

Last edited:

alohajeff

Reaction score
They seem totally legit, Moeller Marine Products. USCG approved, and look very similar to the original design with the addition of sending units built in. Never had a gas gauge in mine before. Another member has a set of aluminum tanks and is gonna get me a price to ship from Cali, but may be rather expensive compared to the poly tanks. I should know which route i'm going by tomorrow. If I don't get the aluminum tanks due to shipping cost, that may be an option for your buddy. GB

They sound like a pretty nice solution.

I ship truck and SUV parts all over the world on a M-F basis. If you tell me the from/to zip codes and the approximate dimensions of the tanks I can give you a pretty accurate shipping estimate.

Aloha