WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pontoon Education

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Hi All,

Getting back into boating after quite a while with my boating experience being my old Hallett jet and in-law's little open bow Bayliner. Wife is more comfortable getting a pontoon and I am leaning that way with more room for people, the dogs and so on. I have never had much outboard experience except for a buddy's bass boat. I am looking for some performance to pull a tub, get up and down both river and lakes and I need some education with the differences and pros/cons of pontoon vs. tritoons, etc.

Thanks in advance all!

I appreciate it!

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
I think almost everything is a tri toon now. My toon was my first OB too and I have to tell you it was so quiet and nice and had plenty of power to move my 27 Avalon. I went with Merc 350 and came with 5 years of complete engine warranty. They do suck the gass though but yearly service is easy and fairly inexpensive compared to what I was used to with a Teague 825 in my deck boat.

Jgarrison

Reaction score
I just bought a 25’ Avalon and love it. The space and comfort is amazing. We got the V8 300 verado instead of the L6 350. It. Runs great, not short on power at all unless your making a really long run. It runs 50 pretty comfortably and light load and bimimi tops down a little more. I wouldn’t get one with less than a 250 and really a 300 is about minimum I would want.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I just bought a 25’ Avalon and love it. The space and comfort is amazing. We got the V8 300 verado instead of the L6 350. It. Runs great, not short on power at all unless your making a really long run. It runs 50 pretty comfortably and light load and bimimi tops down a little more. I wouldn’t get one with less than a 250 and really a 300 is about minimum I would want.
I respectably disagree with this post. Maybe because I'm older and my fast boat, think drag, days were about 35 years ago. We bought a brand new Godfrey Sweetwater last July and have had a blast with it. It's a 23' with a Yamaha 150. Smooth as silk and runs all day at 35mph and tops out at 41mph. I don't understand why one buy's a toon and think they're in a drag boat with couches. It is super comfy and quiet as a church mouse. I refer to it as driving a big couch.
It does really good on our Lake Havasu and I don't worry about fuel as it hardly uses any at all. We can go from the London Bridge to Pirates and back on 11 gallons in comfort.
When you look for a toon you DO want a tri. Much more stable, more HP and faster on the big end. They also plane with the blink of an eye. I don't know your financial situation but when you start to look, say to yourself, what does this toon have that that one over there that is so much less. The prices very a LOT. We looked at 110K boats and we looked at 50K boats and settled on a 40k boat that has as much or more than we wanted. Remember it's nothing more than 3 aluminum beer cans with a garage door sitting on them with couches on it. Hard to believe people a paying upwards of a 1/4 million dollars for these things. We don't get all tied up on trying to impress the world with our stuff and could care less what that guy with the fancy Benington thinks about ours.

Our's does exactly what we need it to do, runs fast enough for us in an economical way, gets us on the lake and is more than comfy.
Good luck on your search

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
We bought a Crest Tritoon from JR marine (Havasu ) brand new ordered up from the factory Took about 5-6 months to get it’s a 2017 model, 23 ft With a merc 350. It’s just the wife and I and some friends On occasion. It’s like boating a lay z boy with a BBQ.

you want to make sure it’s a tri toon Check log sizes and rated HP for what ever boat your looking at and It has floor storage And a big ol gas tank 50 gallons minimum. I like the performance beer cans with lifting steaks and all the hi po do dads, With that option I think it would hold its value and work better all around. Some entry level toons have smaller diameter logs and you want to go big!

As for power we started with a 250 then bumped to a 300 and then settled on the 350 Verado. The motor is super quiet and you have to check the tach to see if it’s running if the stereo is on. The 350 was bout $3-3500 more than the 250 At the time.

And I’m very happy with the boat, we can cruise at what ever speed we want but over 40 the wind gets noisy and unpleasant of your face, our range is usually 32-38 maybe 42mph, our boat will easily go over 50 But it’s not as enjoyable as 38

we plan on keeping out beer can Boat for a while!

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Thanks all....all good on rough days out on Havasu and so on?
The only problem we ever have with it on the lake is putting that BIG sail back on the trailer in the wind!! I shouldn't say problem, but after 50 years with low profile boats it's definitely "different". 😁 The lake can throw anything at these things and one just has to drive it accordingly.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Thanks all....all good on rough days out on Havasu and so on?

A 25’ tritoon is going to ride better than just about any other type of boat in that size range. Literally Ive gone over wake board wakes and braced for the impact and you barely feel anything. They are noticeably better than deck boats the same size. Like someone mentioned, the only time they aren’t fun is trying to trailer or dock in wind. They don’t react quickly in tight spaces and they are like a huge sail. If I had a complaint, that would be it.

A 250 Verado and up makes them accelerate well and have a decent cruising speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
We bought a new Avalon rear lounger 25, with a 200 on it, runs 41, for the cost and comfort it cant be beat, if I want to go 100 mph we take the other boat.

PlanB

Reaction score
Bought our Bennington R25 in late 2015 with a 300 Verado. Before that, we had a 2005 28' R series 28 Bennington with a 350 Mag. Both boats are tritoons, with the newer one having the ESP bottom (wider deeper center toon). The 300 Verado will push our boat 44-46 with biminis up and full of fuel and gear. I have seen 49.7 with the biminis down and light on fuel. The ESP bottom turns almost like a V bottom. Tight turns are easy, and it leans inward when turning.

I would go with the biggest motor you can afford. When we bought our boat the 300 was the biggest motor Bennington would put on it. If we end up keeping this boat I will eventually hang a bigger motor off the back. Even though we usually cruise about 35 mph, it's nice to have more speed when running up to Topock or down to the Springs.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
here is my '02

I got away from a performance custom that I was deeply involved in when designing and watching it get built. After several years and 800 hours on it I found myself at a turning point. Either replace the motor or sell it and buy a new boat. Fast forward...

What was going to be important to me? I didn't want t give up the ability to feel like I could go fast, I wanted functional comforts and some nice features. Again, being an enthusiast of performance customs, this became tricky. I have an eye for details and the fit and finish in pontoons (production boat) just isn't the same. Fast forward...

I bought a 25' Berkshire with a merc 400r. Berkshire is made by Forest River Marine, the same company that builds Trifecta and Southbay. It was a matter of which boat to find in inventory or wait to have one built.

here is a link to a brief review I wrote in another section,

the bottom line here is, ask yourself what your boating priorities are(?). I could not see spending the money it was going take to build another performance custom to my own expectations. I decided simplicity was the way to go, easy on and off with guests. Simplicity for service, maintenance. I didn't want to take all day to get from one end of the lake to the other. The smooth comfortable ride is no joke, I have been caught saying this about lake chop, "running on top, without spilling a drop".

Checkmate21

Reaction score
Boatdoc55 is spot on! You do not need to go fast. It is a pontoon boat, not a performance boat. I bought a 24" Suntracker with a Merc 150. Runs 29mph in Big Bear. I think that is makes gas, it uses so little. I mostly cruise around around 15mph and relax. If I am in the mood to go fast, there are other boats in our family. The more that you spend, the more that you will worry about it.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
If you boat with dogs that are on the larger size you will appreciate the room of a pontoon. Only problem is they do tend to monopolize the seating.😊
7C9438A5-C52B-4E47-B148-76CFCEB22310.jpeg

As some have said get the biggest engine you can afford it’s not about going fast it’s about getting to where you want to go in a timely manner. My old pontoon had a top speed of about 18 mph, I always showed up at my favorite Cove a half hour after someone else got there first. ☹️ Newer one tops out around 45 but cruise 32 most of the time.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Research like you are now. Keep in mind they are modular and not built like a custom boat.
Ive heard there have been some bad aluminum welds showing up lately.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Bumping this thread back up for any updates in the last two years. Until this summer, I had not considered a pontoon boat, but our boating habits have changed over the years like many here at RDP.

I'm not willing to pay six figures for a boat of any kind at this stage in my life, but I do want to be able to have a fighting chance at outrunning a storm and rough water.
@TPC made a note about Cabelas Regency boats, and for the money, they look hard to beat. I don't want super sexy interior fabrics, just functional and well-thought-out interior.

The beaches in Montana and Northern Idaho are nothing but rocks when you can find them, so beaching like at Havasu is not an option. The platform seems to lend itself well to dropping an anchor offshore and chilling. We like to fish as well, so this also seems a great option and since we spend winter in Havasu runs up to Topock before the river gets too low and fishing for stripper and afternoon booze cruises seems a no-brainer.

So the biggest question I have is the power choices. I get the biggest power you can afford comment, but what is realistic?

In the used market, you don't have a lot of power choices, an example: will a 225 Merc power a Avalon Cruise 2685 RVL, or is that a slug? ($70K in Spokane)
Regency with a 300 Varado? If I buy new in Montana they are not gonna have 400R motors on them. I don't need a $50K+ power package.

I would like to pull the kids around on an inflatable, maybe a skier if possible; when the weather goes to shit, I want to get back home. I don't need to race the thing.
I hope to launch and retrieve it with a diesel ZR2 Chevy Colorado, but tow it between Havasu and Flathead Lake with the DP RV. ( I'll be pushing the 70-foot limits.)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

Reactions: DLC

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Bumping this thread back up for any updates in the last two years. Until this summer, I had not considered a pontoon boat, but our boating habits have changed over the years like many here at RDP.

I'm not willing to pay six figures for a boat of any kind at this stage in my life, but I do want to be able to have a fighting chance at outrunning a storm and rough water.
@TPC made a note about Cabelas Regency boats, and for the money, they look hard to beat. I don't want super sexy interior fabrics, just functional and well-thought-out interior.

The beaches in Montana and Northern Idaho are nothing but rocks when you can find them, so beaching like at Havasu is not an option. The platform seems to lend itself well to dropping an anchor offshore and chilling. We like to fish as well, so this also seems a great option and since we spend winter in Havasu runs up to Topock before the river gets too low and fishing for stripper and afternoon booze cruises seems a no-brainer.

So the biggest question I have is the power choices. I get the biggest power you can afford comment, but what is realistic?

In the used market, you don't have a lot of power choices, an example: will a 225 Merc power a Avalon Cruise 2685 RVL, or is that a slug? ($70K in Spokane)
Regency with a 300 Varado? If I buy new in Montana they are not gonna have 400R motors on them. I don't need a $50K+ power package.

I would like to pull the kids around on an inflatable, maybe a skier if possible; when the weather goes to shit, I want to get back home. I don't need to race the thing.
I hope to launch and retrieve it with a diesel ZR2 Chevy Colorado, but tow it between Havasu and Flathead Lake with the DP RV. ( I'll be pushing the 70-foot limits.)

Not sure of what year idea of a slug is but with a 225 I would think that should cruise at 30 mph and top out around 38 to 42. Might be a little bit less depending on altitude and how loaded down of a boat you get.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Truthfully? I'm kinna bored with mine.

Launching and retrieving is a Huge pain in the ass! Clean up is easy, but throwing a cover on this monster is not.

I've also had mine WAY before anyone thought they were cool! 🤣 (Could be why I'm bored with it).

I'd like to have something a lot easier to launch and retrieve, and smaller. A 28ft tri toon is cozy out on the water, but everything else about it is a pain.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Truthfully? I'm kinna bored with mine.

Launching and retrieving is a Huge pain in the ass! Clean up is easy, but throwing a cover on this monster is not.

I've also had mine WAY before anyone thought they were cool! 🤣 (Could be why I'm bored with it).

I'd like to have something a lot easier to launch and retrieve, and smaller. A 28ft tri toon is cozy out on the water, but everything else about it is a pain.
Good feedback; I suspect after the craze wears off, I get the full picture, not the hype. I appreciate the candor. Angie has a cover fetish; putting a cover on anything sucks. BBQs, Bikes, Golfcart.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score

I just got a new to me 2017 regency 254 with a 300 verado. Last week cruised havasu to topcock ran high 30's most of the way. Got the interior my wife wanted and enough motor to keep me mostly happy.

DLC

Reaction score

One of the other things to consider is w/ 300 hp merc and larger you get real power steering, at least that was the deal when we bought in 2017

at the minimum I’d go 300

If it’s always just you and the wife you could get away with a 250

make sure you have at least 50 gallons of fuel on board! I typically use about 15/20gallons on average w/ wife and I travel bout 35 to 42 mph

add a few extra bodies I use 25/ 30 at the same speed

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Good feedback; I suspect after the craze wears off, I get the full picture, not the hype. I appreciate the candor. Angie has a cover fetish; putting a cover on anything sucks. BBQs, Bikes, Golfcart.

We put my buddies Stoker back on the trailer and cover it in 5min flat. Pisses me off big time! 🤣

I put mine back on the trailer early early in the morning. With no wakes, wind and people around.

Also have to be warry of launch ramp (submerged) length with that long azz trailer.

Everything is doable, but definitely requires planning. It's not for the faint of...skill! 😝

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Also have to be warry of launch ramp (submerged) length with that long azz trailer.

Everything is doable, but definitely requires planning. It's not for the faint of...skill! 😝

This is a good point. Launch and retrieve might be an issue with my small truck due to water depth, but it does sit on 32"s. Last week my FILs 2WD truck has to go pretty deep with a shallow angle ramp and late summer low water levels with a 19-foot run about.

I just ran the numbers on a 23-foot Legacy Toon, which puts me over 75 feet total length behind the RV, so this might not work out.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This is a good point. Launch and retrieve might be an issue with my small truck due to water depth, but it does sit on 32"s. Last week my FILs 2WD truck has to go pretty deep with a shallow angle ramp and late summer low water levels with a 19-foot run about.

I just ran the numbers on a 23-foot Legacy Toon, which puts me over 75 feet total length behind the RV, so this might not work out.

I have an F350 sitting on 37's with a huge lift kit. In Parker, the water is Low in the mornings...

Most of the time I won't even use the ramp, I'll angle the trailer so it goes in next to the ramp at an angle.

My truck ends up pretty deep in the water at times, and in the dirt/sand.

Keep in mind...

The total length of the rig does not tell you where where your trailer axles will be!

I have a triple axle trailer, so the most forward axle isn't as far back as you might think...

Be mindful of where you will launch. And do your homework. It's definitely tricky in Parker with the wind and current and all.

Probably why it's closed now. 😉

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I have an F350 sitting on 37's with a huge lift kit. In Parker, the water is Low in the mornings...

Most of the time I won't even use the ramp, I'll angle the trailer so it goes in next to the ramp at an angle.

My truck ends up pretty deep in the water at times, and in the dirt/sand.

Keep in mind...

The total length of the rig does not tell you where where your trailer axles will be!

I have a triple axle trailer, so the most forward axle isn't as far back as you might think...

Be mindful of where you will launch. And do your homework. It's definitely tricky in Parker with the wind and current and all.

Probably why it's closed now. 😉
I'm rethinking this now. (I tend to overthink things) I like the Colorado and don't want to get sucked into buying a full-size truck. I'll have to take a look at shorter versions to stay under 75 feet overall length on the RV plus boat. Perhaps something will strike my fancy in the fall used market.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I'm rethinking this now. (I tend to overthink things) I like the Colorado and don't want to get sucked into buying a full-size truck. I'll have to take a look at shorter versions to stay under 75 feet overall length on the RV plus boat. Perhaps something will strike my fancy in the fall used market.
Is there a particular state you’re concerned with? Have you heard of any other people actually having problems being over length? If it’s not a commercial truck I really don’t think you have much to worry about unless you get a real dick of an officer. Only time I think you would have an issue is a postage skinny Road otherwise I don’t think it would be much of a problem. This is just my opinion but I’ve never seen DOT measuring a motorhome and/or trailer. I have been measured many times in a commercial truck especially in California.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Is there a particular state you’re concerned with? Have you heard of any other people actually having problems being over length? If it’s not a commercial truck I really don’t think you have much to worry about unless you get a real dick of an officer. Only time I think you would have an issue is a postage skinny Road otherwise I don’t think it would be much of a problem. This is just my opinion but I’ve never seen DOT measuring a motorhome and/or trailer. I have been measured many times in a commercial truck especially in California.
California Hwy 95 to 40 between Nv and Az. The rest of the route is a mix of 70 & 75-foot max length, but Ca is 65 feet. California requires a commercial license for air brakes, but Montana, my home state, does not give a crap and does not require a commercial endorsement.

I really don’t think you have much to worry about unless you get a real dick of an officer.
California seems to have a few of those.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
California Hwy 95 to 40 between Nv and Az. The rest of the route is a mix of 70 & 75-foot max length, but Ca is 65 feet. California requires a commercial license for air brakes, but Montana, my home state, does not give a crap and does not require a commercial endorsement.

California seems to have a few of those.
I was under the impression that you were licensed out of Montana or Idaho, but yes if licensed in California you probably got to put up with their bullshit. I wasn’t aware you needed a airbrake endorsement for motorhome class A license in California but I do not know.

Almost 33 years of driving a truck throughout the country, California was the only place that I ever took length measurements, I got measured almost weekly on Highway 101 in Norcal. I thought it was kind of stupid that the highway patrol let me hold when end of the tape measure. Strangely enough I was always under by a few inches.🤣

Last edited:

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I was under the impression that you were licensed out of Montana or Idaho, but yes if licensed in California you probably got to put up with their bullshit. I wasn’t aware you needed a airbrake endorsement for motorhome class A license in California but I do not know.

Almost 33 years of driving a truck throughout the country, California was the only place that I ever took length measurements, I got measured almost weekly on Highway 101 in Norcal. I thought it was kind of stupid that the highway patrol let me hold when end of the tape measure. Strangely enough I was always under by a few inches.🤣
I'm licensed in Montana; my home state (Montana) does not require an endorsement for air brake or weight requirements. California requires a "Non Commercial Class A" endorsement for the weight and airbrakes on my coach. I'm unsure how a jerk CHP would handle me if I were over 75 feet tip to tip with a Montana Plate and DL.
Nevada requires an endorsement for the air brake and weight as well.

I don't recall which states are 70 and which are 75 between Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and AZ, but I'm pretty sure Ca is 65 feet. I dread that short section of the 95 in California to get to the 40, but not enough to tackle the grades going down to Laughlin from either side.

Montana would let me drive a tractor on the highway pulling a load of hay half drunk as long as I did not run into any tourists.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I'm licensed in Montana; my home state (Montana) does not require an endorsement for air brake or weight requirements. California requires a "Non Commercial Class A" endorsement for the weight and airbrakes on my coach. I'm unsure how a jerk CHP would handle me if I were over 75 feet tip to tip with a Montana Plate and DL.
Nevada requires an endorsement for the air brake and weight as well.

I don't recall which states are 70 and which are 75 between Montana, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and AZ, but I'm pretty sure Ca is 65 feet. I dread that short section of the 95 in California to get to the 40, but not enough to tackle the grades going down to Laughlin from either side.

Montana would let me drive a tractor on the highway pulling a load of hay half drunk as long as I did not run into any tourists.
I believe as long as you are properly licensed for your state of residence you should be fine in California the length deal might be a problem, I don’t know for sure maybe @FlyByWire might be able to enlighten us. 😊

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I believe as long as you are properly licensed for your state of residence you should be fine in California the length deal might be a problem, I don’t know for sure maybe @FlyByWire might be able to enlighten us. 😊
75 feet is a no no in CA regardless of state of registration or DL.

That said, I highly doubt there will be an issue on the section of road he’s talking about. Especically after 9pm. 😉

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Call me crazy but how do you get from Montana to Arizona without dealing with grades? 🤣
I got plenty. Cross the Divide twice in Montana, Pocatello, Idaho, and Cedar City, Utah. Everything on the Interstate is fine. The ones I don't like have traffic signals or stop signs at the bottom. I have a recurring nightmare that my third-grade catholic school Nun teacher (Sister Susan) is in the crosswalk with a gaggle of school girls in blue plaid knee-high dresses, and I can't stop. Moments before I mow her and the girls down, she looks me in the eye and says wake up. The signal coming down from Springdale, Utah, into Hurricane scares the crap out of me. It's a School crosswalk. :) Tell me I don't have baggage from Catholic school.

I don't want anything to do with the signals in Laughlin and Bullhead.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I got plenty. Cross the Divide twice in Montana, Pocatello, Idaho, and Cedar City, Utah. Everything on the Interstate is fine. The ones I don't like have traffic signals or stop signs at the bottom. I have a recurring nightmare that my third-grade catholic school Nun teacher (Sister Susan) is in the crosswalk with a gaggle of school girls in blue plaid knee-high dresses, and I can't stop. Moments before I mow her and the girls down, she looks me in the eye and says wake up. The signal coming down from Springdale, Utah, into Hurricane scares the crap out of me. It's a School crosswalk. :) Tell me I don't have baggage from Catholic school.

I don't want anything to do with the signals in Laughlin and Bullhead.
The route @Ziggy was pointing out is all freeway all the way to Kingman no signals. It’s a nice interstate and Highway 93 is in Arizona is a four-lane divided highway.

One signal light at interstate 40 where you have to turn right to go to Havasu anyway.
Not trying to bust your balls it’s just a nice road since you don’t have to go through Boulder anymore. 😊

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
The route @Ziggy was pointing out is all freeway all the way to Kingman no signals. It’s a nice interstate and Highway 93 is in Arizona is a four-lane divided highway.

One signal light at interstate 40 where you have to turn right to go to Havasu anyway.
Not trying to bust your balls it’s just a nice road since you don’t have to go through Boulder anymore. 😊
I'll take a look. Thanks for the tip.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Look up Interstate 11 in Nevada, crosses the big bridge by Hoover and turns into the 93 in Az.
I drove that every week when I was working and for the life of me couldn’t remember what interstate # it was. 😬

farmo83

Reaction score
You don't need a boat that's overpowered but you DO NOT want one under powered.

we've had pontoon boats in the fleet since the late 90's. A tri toon will plane out vs a regular pontoon will just plow through the water.

I think both of the ones we had had a 200 or a 225 and it rode great with a boat load of people and pulled tubers etc.

If your wanting to roll around at a good clip get something else IMO.