WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pony Baseball 10-12U Drills- I'm a "new coach"

Hammer

Reaction score
Seeing how there is a ton of knowledge on this site and I know some of you have played and coach/coached your kids I thought I'd ask for some good tutorials on how to be a better coach.

Unfortunately, we only get one field a week to practice on for an hour and a half and have to share it(rain isn't helping either). I need to learn how to be more efficient with my time while getting valuable drills in. Our biggest challenge is pass balls with new catchers and consistent pitching. But I'll take all infield/outfield drills too. The kids are talented and know baseball, but they aren't ABL or travel ball good. They need a ton of reps to not make routine errors. They also lack staying engaged in the game when things get tough. No adversity. I came from "tough" coaching which is an entirely different generation. I don't think these kids can handle me being a tough/stern coach. They react better when things are fun. But I need them to know how to turn it on at game time and take it serious.

In order to get a second practice field in the city I have to get there at 2:30 and beat 3 other teams to the field. We have too many sports teams and not enough fields and I can ditch work twice a week to grab a field. It's not an option. We have cage work once a week for an hour with two cages.

Any help would be great. I understand baseball and the game, but it was never "my sport". I wasn't going to coach, mainly because I lack the coaching experience(I didn't play in HS either) to help them get better, I know what is wrong, but I don't know how to relay the message properly to fix their mechanics or what drills to start with. I was never a "baseball guy", but we are severely short handed with coaching volunteers and assistant coaches throughout the league. I stepped up solo because nobody else would and it gave me an opportunity to bond with my step son. I do love sports so it makes it easier, I have more anxiety coaching that I ever did playing! 😂

Lets see some tutorials... :cool:

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Seeing how there is a ton of knowledge on this site and I know some of you have played and coach/coached your kids I thought I'd ask for some good tutorials on how to be a better coach.

Unfortunately, we only get one field a week to practice on for an hour and a half and have to share it(rain isn't helping either). I need to learn how to be more efficient with my time while getting valuable drills in. Our biggest challenge is pass balls with new catchers and consistent pitching. But I'll take all infield/outfield drills too. The kids are talented and know baseball, but they aren't ABL or travel ball good. They need a ton of reps to not make routine errors. They also lack staying engaged in the game when things get tough. No adversity. I came from "tough" coaching which is an entirely different generation. I don't think these kids can handle me being a tough/stern coach. They react better when things are fun. But I need them to know how to turn it on at game time and take it serious.

In order to get a second practice field in the city I have to get there at 2:30 and beat 3 other teams to the field. We have too many sports teams and not enough fields and I can ditch work twice a week to grab a field. It's not an option. We have cage work once a week for an hour with two cages.

Any help would be great. I understand baseball and the game, but it was never "my sport". I wasn't going to coach, mainly because I lack the coaching experience(I didn't play in HS either) to help them get better, I know what is wrong, but I don't know how to relay the message properly to fix their mechanics or what drills to start with. I was never a "baseball guy", but we are severely short handed with coaching volunteers and assistant coaches throughout the league. I stepped up solo because nobody else would and it gave me an opportunity to bond with my step son. I do love sports so it makes it easier, I have more anxiety coaching that I ever did playing! 😂

Give me a call brother, I have a few things you can implement right away for the catchers as well as some tips for the pitchers.

Of course, tons of infield/outfield stuff but I always kept it simple stupid.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
hammer call me 714.267.4827

for all you other prospective coaches check this link out....I put this together for our little league. tons of drills practice plans throwing programs.

Baseball is all about reps. your job as coach is to get them reps and have fun working hard. I can tell you a million things coaches do wrong at this level. but you asked a couple great questions which deal in development which i am all about.

I have a little bit of experience in the game :)

wallnutz

Reaction score

Just hope you don't have a bunch of "Karens" for parents. Awesome you are taking this on, l Loved coaching the kids and seeing them progress.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Reps reps reps...hope you have a coach or two to help you out. If so, break them up in multiple stations so they get more reps in smaller groups. Maximize good, productive use of such a small amount of practice time. I've seen a lot of coaches that waste a lot of time with poor time management. 1.5 to 2 hours goes fast.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Hold this thought:

One of our sons played on one of the most fantastic teams to ever take the field in Ventura County.
Kids with astounding talent. Every position and at the plate. Extraordinary Phenoms.

In the final countywide championship game they got beat by a mediocre team that simply had baseball fundamentals down perfect.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Mike. I’m assuming you’re out SCV and playing at our local big bball facility.
the challenge you bring up just to get a practice field. Let alone an actual field is so tough. I don’t envy you on that.
As for your comment on being too tough and handling it. Every kid is different. I tried to make it fun and even make batting practice or working with catchers blocking past balls even infield getting the kids to focus kind of a fun contest. You know beat the other kid. lol. And ya. I yelled a bit at times. Just selected when. It’s normal.
Hell even got kicked out of a few games sticking up for the kids which I felt was needed. It might not come quick but respect does come both ways. From you to the kids the kids to you and yes. Even the parents.
I sure hope you have at least two other parents helping you.
I’m sure you will get some good advice from people on here. I played through HS but coached by the seat of my pants and just tried to use tactics that kept me interested
Good luck.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Been quite a few years since the last time I coached, I had 9 single moms and ended up driving kids home all the time or to games. Not saying it wasn't worth it to get to throw them a dodger dog ever once in awhile, but lack of support from dads I just never got.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Been quite a few years since the last time I coached, I had 9 single moms and ended up driving kids home all the time or to games. Not saying it wasn't worth it to get to throw them a dodger dog ever once in awhile, but lack of support from dads I just never got.
I agree with the lack of help. Some feel they paid to play now someone else can babysit for a few hours a day a couple times a week and they’ll show up for a game

Hammer

Reaction score
Reps reps reps...hope you have a coach or two to help you out. If so, break them up in multiple stations so they get more reps in smaller groups. Maximize good, productive use of such a small amount of practice time. I've seen a lot of coaches that waste a lot of time with poor time management. 1.5 to 2 hours goes fast.
I felt like I was spinning my wheels and not accomplishing much because I ran out of time.

I talked to Dirtbag for a bit. It really helped me out.

Thanks Hoots! 😎

Hammer

Reaction score
hammer call me 714.267.4827

for all you other prospective coaches check this link out....I put this together for our little league. tons of drills practice plans throwing programs.

Baseball is all about reps. your job as coach is to get them reps and have fun working hard. I can tell you a million things coaches do wrong at this level. but you asked a couple great questions which deal in development which i am all about.

I have a little bit of experience in the game :)
Thank you for the time Marcus! 👍

Hammer

Reaction score
Mike. I’m assuming you’re out SCV and playing at our local big bball facility.
the challenge you bring up just to get a practice field. Let alone an actual field is so tough. I don’t envy you on that.
As for your comment on being too tough and handling it. Every kid is different. I tried to make it fun and even make batting practice or working with catchers blocking past balls even infield getting the kids to focus kind of a fun contest. You know beat the other kid. lol. And ya. I yelled a bit at times. Just selected when. It’s normal.
Hell even got kicked out of a few games sticking up for the kids which I felt was needed. It might not come quick but respect does come both ways. From you to the kids the kids to you and yes. Even the parents.
I sure hope you have at least two other parents helping you.
I’m sure you will get some good advice from people on here. I played through HS but coached by the seat of my pants and just tried to use tactics that kept me interested
Good luck.

Thanks Mr. C , yes local big facility. I held out and ignored the managers needed email because I didn’t want to fight for fields and I wanted more than one night a week to practice as I knew the kids would need it to get better.

It’s a nightmare and it almost makes it not worth it.

I do have a a few dads helping which is great.

The kid’s personalities are definitely a challenge, each one is different. Some are tough, some aren’t. Then keeping the more talented kids engaged when the less talented kids are struggling. It’s hard!

I appreciate the insight. Hopefully we can win a few games. I really enjoy it. It’s the one thing I do where everything else is secondary. My son is pretty good for only being in his second season ever at 12 years old. 🙂. I think my daughter is going to be a stud softball player(even though she’s only 6! 😂)

I grew up in SCV, there is a rich community sports program here and I’m happy I get to give back to something that was so influential to me growing up. It teaches young kids resilience and it’s ok to fail. We don’t do participation trophies either. We have to earn it…

Last edited:

adam909

Reaction score
with limited time on the feild its best to have a couple buckets full of balls to use during drills and extra buckets for the kids to drop the balls in, that way you can just rotate buckets.. Picking up balls takes up time.. With them still being young its all about fundamentals. Here's a video that really shows how much you can get done with just buckets of balls and buckets.. Its all about fundamentals

TrollerDave

Reaction score
Get a cooler full of Coors and a sponsorship from Chico’s Bail Bonds. 😂
1679460597586.jpeg

Seriously, great job stepping up. 👍🏻

Hammer

Reaction score

Dirtbag

Reaction score
with limited time on the feild its best to have a couple buckets full of balls to use during drills and extra buckets for the kids to drop the balls in, that way you can just rotate buckets.. Picking up balls takes up time.. With them still being young its all about fundamentals. Here's a video that really shows how much you can get done with just buckets of balls and buckets.. Its all about fundamentals

this right here is awesome info....my buckets for practices have 150 balls! we use the big tubs.

Dirtbag

Reaction score

Hammer this is exactly what i was talking about rolling balls instead of hitting them....look at how many great reps they get and how fast it goes. 10 guys 150 balls at 3b ss and 2b is a lot of ground balls in a short amount of time.

Dirtbag

Reaction score

adam thank you for this video gonna add it to our little league page. Coach Candrea is a legend!

Hammer

Reaction score
Hammer this is exactly what i was talking about rolling balls instead of hitting them....look at how many great reps they get and how fast it goes. 10 guys 150 balls at 3b ss and 2b is a lot of ground balls in a short amount of time.
Seeing it go fast and efficient on tape like that makes a ton of sense visually.

thanks Adam! That’s a great video and was what Dirtbag was telling me about.some of the drills I have to do research on. Reading on paper I can’t picture it.

I’m going to talk to the coach before my practice and see if I can sneak in my kids to use the outfield and out if his practice. I think an extra 30-45 minutes would really help us out. Hopefully he will work with me.

I appreciate all the responses. Keep them coming…..

Hammer

Reaction score
I ended up buying a couple more buckets and 60 baseballs to go with what I already had. I was trying not to spend money but the more I looked into it I didn't really have a choice if I want to help myself and these kids get better. I'll get good use out of the investment over the next 10 years. I have a 3 year old who will be in T-ball shortly.

Last edited:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I ended up buying a couple more buckets and 60 baseballs to go with what I already had. I was trying not to spend money but the more I looked into it I didn't really have a choice if I want to help myself these kids get better. I'll get good use out of the investment over the next 10 years. I have a 3 year old who will be in T-ball shortly.
I think some of the batting cages used sell the old balls might be worth looking into if you need more. That is if they even still use a bball and not a cage ball. It’s been awhile for me as well.

I see a lot of chili cheese fries and corn dogs in your future. Lol

I’m at the field a couple times a week with grandkids. So what team are you and I think your mustang field

Hammer

Reaction score
I think some of the batting cages used sell the old balls might be worth looking into if you need more. That is if they even still use a bball and not a cage ball. It’s been awhile for me as well.

I see a lot of chili cheese fries and corn dogs in your future. Lol

I’m at the field a couple times a week with grandkids. So what team are you and I think your mustang field
The cage balls aren't real baseballs, also, I noticed the cheap baseballs get slick after awhile, I buy the blem league balls, also, the game balls turn into practice balls. I should have plenty now.👍

Chili cheese fries are the best!! LOL, of course they have a catering company running the snack shop now. I don't think the recipe has changed in 25 years, of course the price of the food has a lot. Pretty crazy to think I played there that long ago...

I'll shoot you a PM. :)

Meaney77

Reaction score
I ended up buying a couple more buckets and 60 baseballs to go with what I already had. I was trying not to spend money but the more I looked into it I didn't really have a choice if I want to help myself and these kids get better. I'll get good use out of the investment over the next 10 years. I have a 3 year old who will be in T-ball shortly.
Do you guys have a Play it agian Sports local to you? You can find alot of used gear, balls, equipment, etc... at a reasonable price. And you can turn your used stuff in and get cash or credit. Might be worth checking out.

Good on you for doing all of this. I never played any sports growing up and never had any desire to- always rode/raced dirt bikes, etc... I have 3 girls and 2 of them are playing 8U sotball. This is their 4th year, and I get alot of satisfaction coaching, and assiting, each week. I really like watching all of the girls learn and grow, I learn new things each week myself as I work with them. I never in a million years thought I would be as involved abd consumed as I am and really enjoy and look forward to it wach week.

WildHorses24

Reaction score
My oldest (12) has fully transitioned into travel and my youngest (10) is still playing rec ball. I've coached both since T-Ball... @Dirtbag has great information and I've been silently paying attention to anything he says for years! I've been lucky to be involved with my sons travel team and see high level coaching, which I obviously just take to the Rec Ball teams... the fact that you care means you're going to be a great coach. It's sad seeing Rec leagues "Volunn-tell" parents to manage and the kids get a shit experience because the parent isn't into it.

The only thing I can add is at this level it's just as much a "head game" if not more than a skill set. I always tell my players to keep their energy "even keel" not too high and not too low, we don't "chant/sing"(never have) for at bats etc, that shits for girls softball... When a player gets emotional from a bad play/strike out/ or bad pitching we learn to pick them up as a team. At this age keeping them out of their own heads is the difference when talent is even. Listening to Tony Robins on how to get them out of a bad "state" and into to a good one quickly is just as important as reps. We've all seen the Youtube of the coach making fun of the pitchers at the mound in the LL game... that's Tony Robin's technique, get them out of a bad state and make them laugh.

Being in South HB we have the opposite problem where parents think their kid is the next Mike Trout so they're going to a hitting coach, pitching coach, agility coach... it's crazy. Kids burn out quick, once you've lost their interest you lost them as a player regardless of talent. Keep it fun, keep it moving and remember they're only 10.

707dog

Reaction score
if they are hitting they aint sitting... got nothing to add great input above already.

boatnam2

Reaction score
I think i was 16 or so, we had this coach who was running for mayor of Torrance and thought it was a good look for his pics to be on his campaign flyer showing him as a coach. First practice we go to have some BP, he say whos the catcher, I said me, he says well no equipment yet can you catch Hitting practice without it, it was a long season. He was Cuban, wore the uniform with Cuban dress shoes, classic! His kid sucked but he started him at first, his nick name was hat trick because he K'ed 3 times every game.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPC

Not So Fast

Reaction score
Coached for about ten years in Lake Forest Little league,about 1990, had 2 undefeated seasons, one as 12 year olds, who alsp won the District 55 City Championship, then we won the league as 14 years olds. But I must confess I had twin boys who could could throw the ball very well so any one who says pitching isnt 90% 0f the game dont know crap. One of them now coaches here in Havasu and was Tournament of Champions manager about 3 years ago. Great times for sure.
Man how I mis it and the camaraderie with the boys :)
NSF

Havasu Surfer

Reaction score
All good info offered by the inmates and there are hundreds of videos on YouTube. I coached for 6 years and miss it so much. Keep in mind that it is a GAME of failure so always celebrate and embellish moments of glory and accomplishment. We made it a point to always have a discussion before each game about what the strategy was going to be and what is expected from everybody. At the conclusion of the game, we mandated a post-Game Debrief in the dugout, (no parents) and if appropriate acknowledged player/s of the game with a signed ball with the date and a note. Most athletes are competitive by nature (especially in the early teens) and showcasing with little tokens will get them to push themselves for acknowledgement or bragging rights. Purposely put weaker players with the experienced during warm throwing to give them the interaction and visual of how the athletic do it. If time is limited, stretching should be accomplished at home before practice and games to avoid injuries which can kill a line up. Get in their heads and try to uncover what motivates them so you can pull their strings in times of needing to step up and deliver. Some of those kids will end up surprising you with how much they can progress in one season. If a kid or parent has an expectation to play a certain position it was expected that they were putting in the extra time doing outside work with a batting or pitching coach if they were going to build the skills to deliver for the team. Keeping it fun is on track but structure and discipline needs to be intertwined to get results. Just my 3 cents. Good luck with the season and soak it all in because it goes way too fast.

Justfishing

Reaction score
I dont have any drills but the thing i did is make it clear to all the parents i will accept help at practices. . I would have 3-4 stations and kids were always working.

Baseball is a complicated sport. Hitting cutoffs. Who covers 2nd etc. Although you may not have the field you can spend time teaching the game.

Last edited:

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I need to learn how to be more efficient with my time while getting valuable drills in.

I can't help with baseball specifically (I'm a hockey guy); BUT-
I judge any coach in any sport by observing 2 things;
1) Does he or she have a written practice plan? By written, I mean on a clipboard or whiteboard that they carry on the field, court or ice with them.
2) Again, I'm not sure about baseball but with hockey (or basketball , soccer or every other sport I can think of) you absolutley need 'constant flow' drills to keep anyone, including your assistant coaches, from standing around.
It boils down to time - your time and the kid's time being used most efficiently.

Hammer

Reaction score
Do you guys have a Play it agian Sports local to you? You can find alot of used gear, balls, equipment, etc... at a reasonable price. And you can turn your used stuff in and get cash or credit. Might be worth checking out.

Good on you for doing all of this. I never played any sports growing up and never had any desire to- always rode/raced dirt bikes, etc... I have 3 girls and 2 of them are playing 8U sotball. This is their 4th year, and I get alot of satisfaction coaching, and assiting, each week. I really like watching all of the girls learn and grow, I learn new things each week myself as I work with them. I never in a million years thought I would be as involved abd consumed as I am and really enjoy and look forward to it wach week.
It was too much of a hassle for me to find a Play it Again Sports, we don’t have one in town. It would have cost me too much of my time to go to the valley and track all the gear I’d want down. If coaching and my kids doesn’t work out(Highly unlikely), I’ll pay it forward and give it to the next coach that is starting out.

Funny you mentioned that, I was the opposite. I grew up obsessed playing sports(not by parents pressure, I just loved it). I used to go from Junior high after school to the high school to watch the varsity practice football. I could watch and learn and never get sick of it(I’d make my mom tape record college and nfl games so I can rewind the plays to analyze why it broke down). I’m still that way today. In my 20’s, I assumed it was just a time in my life and I’d grow out of the obsession. Nope.

My dad always took me camping and boating growing up and I had to learn how to balance sport’s requirements(being accountable to my team and not ditching practice/games for the lake/desert). I’m glad he did, as I got older I started to realize playing sports doesn’t last forever and I’m probably not going pro. It taught me balance. I understand why pro/college athletes have issues when their careers are over.

Sometimes I think I need to sell the boats and dirtbikes because they sit. But my kids love that too and so do I. We will fit it in as best we can.

I always hoped my kids would one day want to play sports so I can be involved in their teams as I feel team sports teaches lifelong lessons. Toughness, teamwork etc…

My daughter is 5-6u softball and I think she’s going to be pretty good. She hates my involvement with her team, so I just let her do her thing. My older son is a little behind in technique and fundamentals as he didn’t start playing until 10 years old. He’s pretty good considering he got a late start. I think he’d be a great pitcher but he wants no part of it. Then I got a 3 year old that already wants to play football and baseball. He’s going to be like me I think. Already has a favorite football team and asks to watch them all the time.

I really enjoy the kids evolving as well and watching the less talented kids make good plays or getting their first hit. They probably think I’m crazy because I’m jumping and screaming louder than the parents. 😂.

I’m sure a ton of you can relate to being a parent and going through what I am currently. All I can say is I love every part of being a dad and being involved in their sports programs, even for the kids that aren’t mine, I want to see them grow too. It’s hard as hell, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. I don’t understand why other parents aren’t like me sometimes. 🤷‍♂️

Hammer

Reaction score
Coached for about ten years in Lake Forest Little league,about 1990, had 2 undefeated seasons, one as 12 year olds, who alsp won the District 55 City Championship, then we won the league as 14 years olds. But I must confess I had twin boys who could could throw the ball very well so any one who says pitching isnt 90% 0f the game dont know crap. One of them now coaches here in Havasu and was Tournament of Champions manager about 3 years ago. Great times for sure.
Man how I mis it and the camaraderie with the boys :)
NSF

Pitching is huge. If a kid throws hard he’s almost un hittable. I have one kid who has a cannon. But he’s never pitched before. 2nd season ever for him. Talented but raw. A lefty too. My goal is for him to be elite by playoffs.

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
I can't help with baseball specifically (I'm a hockey guy); BUT-
I judge any coach in any sport by observing 2 things;
1) Does he or she have a written practice plan? By written, I mean on a clipboard or whiteboard that they carry on the field, court or ice with them.
2) Again, I'm not sure about baseball but with hockey (or basketball , soccer or every other sport I can think of) you absolutley need 'constant flow' drills to keep anyone, including your assistant coaches, from standing around.
It boils down to time - your time and the kid's time being used most efficiently.
I’m guilty of this for sure. One of the reasons I started this thread. I didn’t think I needed a practice plan, nor did I want to carve out the time to make one. I thought I could wing it.

I’m In the process of changing that now. I need to put the kids in a position to succeed on game day. A structured practice plan will help achieve that.

Last edited:

Hammer

Reaction score
I dont have any drills but the thing i did is make it clear to all the parents i will accept help at practices. . I would have 3-4 stations and kids were always working.

Baseball is a complicated sport. Hitting cutoffs. Who covers 2nd etc. Although you may not have the field you can spend time teaching the game.
Ironically, my entire team knows how the cut offs work who covers second etc… I thought I’d be teaching that for sure. They are all in sync when it comes to that. Except for two kids. I’m impressed with that.

I do need to get back to basics and a practice plan as mentioned above. We have miscues on the basic stuff in games. Walks and pass balls are killing us.

Hammer

Reaction score
Sweet. Practice has been rained out for three weeks and we got a game tonight at 7. 😳😬

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Sweet. Practice has been rained out for three weeks and we got a game tonight at 7. 😳😬
So put your best catcher behind the plate. Need a shortstop and a first baseman who can scoop em up. Your fastest chaser in center. Say a few hail Mary’s. And go have fun 😱😜
Most of all make sure they have fun.

You got this.

Good luck.

Hopefully your best catcher , shortstop , first baseman and pitcher aren’t all the same kid😆

Hammer

Reaction score
So put your best catcher behind the plate. Need a shortstop and a first baseman who can scoop em up. Your fastest chaser in center. Say a few hail Mary’s. And go have fun 😱😜
Most of all make sure they have fun.

You got this.

Good luck.

Hopefully your best catcher , shortstop , first baseman and pitcher aren’t all the same kid😆
He’s 2 out of the 4 and is out sick🙄! We will be fine and we will have some fun! 😁

I was hoping to get some these practice routines in before the next game. 🤷‍♂️

Hammer

Reaction score
He’s 2 out of the 4 and is out sick🙄! We will be fine and we will have some fun! 😁

I was hoping to get some these practice routines in before the next game. 🤷‍♂️
Pulled out the W . 8-6 nail biter.
My kid had a huge put out behind the plate. Pick off in the last inning to third. 3rd missed it got the ball fired it home to my boy for the out. 2outs. Struck out the last kid for the Win.

I know it’s supposed to be fun! But god damn that 1st Dub felt good. 😎

DC-88

Reaction score
I coached a ton with my boys at that level before they moved on to travel ball / hs / juco / 4 year and it was so much fun . Two easy things to work on that the whole team can do, and can really make a difference playing against another rec team are base running, and being disciplined at the plate. Aggressive base running forces the other team to be able to play catch without the wheels falling off. Not swinging outside the zone with the pitch count rules can result in hanging around vs a hard throwing rec pitcher, and burning them for whoever they play next game as well. We had a cage at the house and one day a week the team was broken into thirds and came over 30 min apart to hit . Having another Dad or 2 who can throw bp makes a big difference. Pitching machine is much less effective . Is that at Hart? My little guy played in a double header league there one year with his travel team. The chili was amazing .

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Lol. Great pic though. 👍👍😜
My son way back when didn’t want to be behind the plate either. Then one of his first games he took a foul ball off his mask. Turned it sideways. Looked at me and with a big ass grin said that’s was so cool dad. Always loved catching after that. 👍

Hammer

Reaction score
I coached a ton with my boys at that level before they moved on to travel ball / hs / juco / 4 year and it was so much fun . Two easy things to work on that the whole team can do, and can really make a difference playing against another rec team are base running, and being disciplined at the plate. Aggressive base running forces the other team to be able to play catch without the wheels falling off. Not swinging outside the zone with the pitch count rules can result in hanging around vs a hard throwing rec pitcher, and burning them for whoever they play next game as well. We had a cage at the house and one day a week the team was broken into thirds and came over 30 min apart to hit . Having another Dad or 2 who can throw bp makes a big difference. Pitching machine is much less effective . Is that at Hart? My little guy played in a double header league there one year with his travel team. The chili was amazing .
Yes. That’s at Hart. Thanks for the insight. 👍

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Heading over to the fields soon. Hopefully the little woman will let me enjoy the canteen food. Doubtful but one can hope. Good times.

HBCraig

Reaction score

PM me if you'd like to chat. I have coached a lot and still coach 16u-17u and give lessons. I've taken multiple teams to the junior Olympics and am headed to the USA Baseball facility in NC next week for an invitational.
@HOOTER SLED- is right. They need reps in smaller groups to get the fundamentals down. Especially bunt defense and cutoffs from the outfield.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Coached for six years, read most of the posts...not much to add that hasn't been already said. Try not to make yourself crazy over perfection, remember that you are volunteering and its not the big leagues. You're definitely gonna need some help so recruit anyone ya can...this will help with running multiple stations at the same time. Keep them from being idle at all times. They are looking at you to show them the way so do the best you can. Remember...if they are having fun they will play like its the World Series!
Ya gotta have a few secret weapons, if things start looking bad in a game...bust out the candy and gatorade. Start drawing mustaches and glasses on their faces...my boys got so fired up they came back from an eight run deficit in the 8th inning that way. Wish I could do it all over again.

IMG_4962.JPG

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Mike,

So awesome you're doing this!!! I loved when my kids were in baseball, I miss those days Really bad!

My kids? They don't miss em at all. My daughter played hardball with the boys and hit a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth to win the championship game! Does she remember that? Nope. But I do. 😜

As long as you're involved with your kids, it's all good.

You're gonna be a great dad. 👍🏼