WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool Acid too high…Drain Pool 🤷🏻

Javajoe

Reaction score
So wife went down and got water tested because she can’t get the acid down. It’s at about 300ppm. Leslies says ya gotta drain the pool and refill. Says there is no way to stabilize it. What’s your guys take on this? I don’t FW it. It’s the wife’s job 😎 I do other shit

Javajoe

Reaction score
300ppm?!?! Holy shit! Ideal levels are around 30-50ppm. Unfortunately for you, they’re right and the only way to “dilute” it at those levels is to completely drain it.
Well, guess we will drain it. Wish I had a fire hydrant close to my house. Not a big pool. About 16,000 gal. Should be about $50.00. Riverside water is cheap. I just paid 65.00 for my monthly 24,000 gal usage
Bummer is doing it in the heat but it’s pebble tech plaster about 5 years old so should be ok I imagine. Gunna fill it back right away with a couple garden hoses

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Well, guess we will drain it. Wish I had a fire hydrant close to my house. Not a big pool. About 16,000 gal. Should be about $50.00. Riverside water is cheap. I just paid 65.00 for my monthly 24,000 gal usage
Bummer is doing it in the heat but it’s pebble tech plaster about 5 years old so should be ok I imagine. Gunna fill it back right away with a couple garden hoses
Do you use stabilized chlorine? If you do, backwash your filters before you refill it. Chlorine with CYA has been known to linger in the filters which might bring you back to where you’re at now.

Javajoe

Reaction score
👌
No idea what stabilized chlorine is. She uses Tablets and liquid once in a while. I’ll do the filters why we are at it. I think it’s been 6 months anyway

mobldj

Reaction score
yea leslies said my water was all fucked up.added no phos,murratic acid,bunch of other shit.tested today and hit 90 percent correct. definately clean the filters.mine were disgusting.good to go !

grumpy88

Reaction score
yea leslies said my water was all fucked up.added no phos,murratic acid,bunch of other shit.tested today and hit 90 percent correct. definately clean the filters.mine were disgusting.good to go !
If your busy playing pool guy who is mowing the lawn at the river !lol

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
👌
No idea what stabilized chlorine is. She uses Tablets and liquid once in a while. I’ll do the filters why we are at it. I think it’s been 6 months anyway
It’s chlorine that has CYA in it. If the ingredients show “trichloroisocyanurate”, “potassium dichloroisocyanurate”, or “sodium dichloroisocyanurate”….it contains CYA

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
The city may give you a discount. If you notify them you are filling the pool. Since your usage will spike.

riverroyal

Reaction score
old-school-decks.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So wife went down and got water tested because she can’t get the acid down. It’s at about 300ppm. Leslies says ya gotta drain the pool and refill. Says there is no way to stabilize it. What’s your guys take on this? I don’t FW it. It’s the wife’s job 😎 I do other shit

Leslie's employees are idiots. NEVER go into those stores!!

First question is...

Fiberglass or plaster pool?

HitIt

Reaction score
The tablets will screw you after a while by increasing CYA. Switch to liquid bleach.

You need to replace 83% of your water to get from 300ppm to 50ppm

Javajoe

Reaction score
Leslie's employees are idiots. NEVER go into those stores!!

First question is...

Fiberglass or plaster pool?
She buys all the chemicals from SPC. She checks all the chemicals herself but decided to have them confirm her suspicions. It’s plaster pool. Replastered it about 7 years ago. The Chem stick and the drop test tested the same.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
She buys all the chemicals from SPC. She checks all the chemicals herself but decided to have them confirm her suspicions. It’s plaster pool. Replastered it about 7 years ago. The Chem stick and the drop test tested the same.

Cool.

2nd...

Acid is normal checked by a PH level check. I've never seen it gauged by ppm.

Are you referring to something else maybe? Do you have a pic of the test results you guys took?

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Cool.

2nd...

Are you referring to something else maybe? Do you have a pic of the test results you guys took?
Most if not all test strips are gauged in ppm. Test strips are typically more accurate than liquid test kits and easier to use.

1624336094466.png

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Cool.

2nd...

He’s talking about Cyanuric acid level. His post said acid but as soon as ppm mentioned it left alkalinity or CY levels as the reference. They wouldn’t say drain from alkalinity being that level. So leaves process of elimination of cyanuric level. And yes only way to lower is dumping water.
OP - You can dump all or partial , refill, and retest levels.
If you continue to use tablets this will be needed every 3-5 years

And Leslie’s has digital tester with print out. Very accurate, yes they will give you report with recommendations but they give you report and you can also walk out with no purchase. So that parts not so shabby for a wife maintaining a pool. If a wife can push a stroller she can push a lawn mower, take the day and relax kings 😂

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If you think test strips may be your best bet, consider this fact: Health inspectors who regulate public facilities do not use test strips. While test strips can provide peace of mind with a well-run pool or spa, liquid tests are still the gold standard of poolside water analysis particularly when troubleshooting.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
He’s talking about Cyanuric acid level. His post said acid but as soon as ppm mentioned it left alkalinity or CY levels as the reference. Thy wouldn’t say drain from alkalinity being that level. So leaves process of elimination of cyanuric level. And yes only way to lower is dumping water.
OP - You can dump all or partial , refill, and retest levels.
If you continue to use tablets this will be needed every 3-5 years

I didn't want to assume anything. 😝

ConcreteDr

Reaction score
If your in a area where it’s hot and windy be careful letting the core stay dry too long Shotcrete even with pebble tech / plaster will dry shrink and crack then you will have bigger problems I have fixed a lot of cracks / leaks in pools and water features over the years

C-2

Reaction score
It happened to me last year, CYA ate up any chlorine I put into the pool. I tried to do a partial water change NOT HAPPENING. Just rent a sump pump from Weist Rentals on Pierce for $50 and start over. I have a small pool too and it took about a day to drain it. Going forward, watch the type of tabs being used.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
If you think test strips may be your best bet, consider this fact: Health inspectors who regulate public facilities do not use test strips. While test strips can provide peace of mind with a well-run pool or spa, liquid tests are still the gold standard of poolside water analysis particularly when troubleshooting.

Reason i say theyre more reliable than liquid is because they (strips) eliminate the risk of human error. Precision is key when adding reagents and measuring out water samples and pool test kits can show faulty results if an incorrect amount of solution was added to the water during the test. In contrast, pool test strips require no technique and deliver the same accuracy of information. For the average person that doesnt have the same testing resources as health inspectors, test strips are pretty idiot proof.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Reason i say theyre more reliable than liquid is because they (strips) eliminate the risk of human error. Precision is key when adding reagents and measuring out water samples and pool test kits can show faulty results if an incorrect amount of solution was added to the water during the test. In contrast, pool test strips require no technique and deliver the same accuracy of information. For the average person that doesnt have the same testing resources as health inspectors, test strips are pretty idiot proof.

Here is the other problem with using strips...

You're taking a sample of the top layer of water. Why is this bad?

Every liquid test kit advises to put the sample tube into the water upside down, traping air in it, then flipping it over to allow the water in when you have the tubes at arms legnth deep.

The top layer of water, as you know from jumping in your pool, is very different than the water that is actually IN the pool.

To get a good reading, you have to have a good sample.

Strips are ok for day to day testing, I use em too for that. But, I don't make chemical changes based on test strip results.

As you say, accurate results are key. 😉

P.S. It's always best to take samples after the pump has run awhile too.

rampster

Reaction score
Yes you can hire a company to come and RO filter your water to remove the CYA.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Here is the other problem with using strips...

You're taking a sample of the top layer of water. Why is this bad?

Every liquid test kit advises to put the sample tube into the water upside down, traping air in it, then flipping it over to allow the water in when you have the tubes at arms legnth deep.

The top layer of water, as you know from jumping in your pool, is very different than the water that is actually IN the pool.

To get a good reading, you have to have a good sample.

Strips are ok for day to day testing, I use em too for that. But, I don't make chemical changes based on test strip results.

As you say, accurate results are key. 😉

P.S. It's always best to take samples after the pump has run awhile too.
Youre also suppose to take the sample from the absolute middle of your pool.......but, ya know lol
You know why liquid tests require you to submerge the vile arms deep? Because ANY turbidity affects your visual readings in the vile. Thats literally the only reason why. If those instructions didnt exist, people would just skim water off the top because motherfuckers are dumb and lazy lol. You dont have enough stratification within a residential pool for it to make a difference.
But fuck it, lets say it does make a difference just for the sake of argument. You do know you can produce the same results with strips right?
Step 1: Use the same vile to collect a sample the same way youd collect it with a liquid kit. ie: ~24" below the surface. Dont have a vile? Red Solo cups work in a pinch lol
Step 2: Dip the strip in the sample that you collected.
Step 3: Read
Step 4: Profit lol

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
You won't have to worry about those 3" tablets adding CYA this year.....cause there is a tablet shortage! Lol

Stick to liquid Chlorine and Acid for the win, those tablets are full of unlisted junk, and CYA is one of the ingredients they don't tell you are in there.

After you drain, set your CYA level to 30-50 PPM and don't run tablets

CobraDave

Reaction score
I’m not sure the reason for arguing. The chemical tests are more accurate and more reliable, period. I don’t want to know if my CYN is 30-50. I want to know exactly how much to adjust chlorine levels to match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javajoe

Reaction score
Well, starting draining it tonight. Here is my water test the wife had done today. Off the chart high on a few 😳
31CD46F9-0A01-452A-9BE9-DA16D11E79BA.jpeg
9C99FF48-9D12-4753-A814-BC94615B1460.jpeg

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
Replacing the water is the only way to change the Calcium Hardness, you need to know what the baseline is of your fill water for Calcium Hardness. Some municipalities start at 400 ppm.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
I would not trust Leslie’s they try and sell you stuff you don’t need. I go to Riverside patio and pool. Mark is the owner and he is awesome

Javajoe

Reaction score
I would not trust Leslie’s they try and sell you stuff you don’t need. I go to Riverside patio and pool. Mark is the owner and he is awesome
Yea Mark is the man. I did talk to him about it. I buy all my stuff from SPC. I never buy anything from Leslies. Mark’s guys fixed my heater a few years ago. Bad gas valve. Guy is so nice and really goes out of his way

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
👌
The tablets have cyaniric acid “hidden” in the ingredients. Run tablets long term and you are raising your CYA level constantly. Once it gets above 60 the pool begins to require chlorine PPM be raised above 6 PPM to be effective. Once it eventually exceeds 120PPM, the water is effectively “locked up” and chlorine has no effect. At 300ppm....you are way up there! Ditch the tablets and run good old liquid chlorine. You can run tablets here and there but have the stabilizer level checked every 3 months and stop if you get above 50ppm. For the new water, set it at 30ppm out the gate

Javajoe

Reaction score
Filling it up. I told the boss no more tablets. She agreed. Thanks for all the good advice
41085B24-3405-4455-BCD4-94AA3F48BC1C.jpeg

HitIt

Reaction score
Did you completely drain it or leave some in?

I love that part of "Leslie's weekly maintenance" is shock. You shouldn't ever have to shock if you keep things in order.

Javajoe

Reaction score
Yea I always laugh at their recommendations. She goes there from time to time to confirm her water. They are normally spot on with her strip and her testing kit readings.
She was going to drain most of it. When I went to bed at 10 last night she was pressure washing the inside, scrubbing the tile and it was still draining. It’s only 11k gallons. My pump does 60 gal. a minute. I’m sure there was some left in it. I’m working today so I had to bow out at 10

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Hey everybody has to run a business to make money and I get it but in my experience the chemical recommendations after a test at a pool store aren’t in your best interest. IMO they’re arsonists disguised as firemen.

Its simple chemistry. The name of the game is balance and it’s either chlorine or acid tipping you back in the right direction.

@Javajoe I did learn that CYA isn’t all that bad tho, we need it here on the west coast to help with chemical degradation from sun exposure. If you’re switching to liquid chlorine look up how to add cya to your pool.