WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool Automation

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Just got a quote for automating our pool & spa so we can control the pump (1) and valves and Raypak heater and pool/spa lights (2) with our iPhones.

I know the pool equipment companies sell these systems but for how much longer for these prices (around $3,000)? I can install smart switches to turn most anything on an off with my phone for next to nothing. When will smart technology enable activating motorized pool valves, turning on/off the pool heater, pool pump, etc? Really, most of the equipment is ready to be controlled. Adding some valve actuators shouldn't be too costly.

How much longer before smart tech will replace the pool equipment companies' very spendy control panels? (Or is it available now and the pool guys don't want me to know?)

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
You get what you pay for.
Pool controls are more then just on off functions only.
They are designed to control multiple variable speed pumps, you can physically see the power being used at any given speed /time, light color and mode functions, water temp, outdoor temp, Heat pumps, programs, salt systems, solar systems, uv systems, chemical controllers with read out and adjustability.
They come with a sub panel, remote antenna and receiver, 2 temp sensors, 2 actuators, plus add in cost of gfi breakers, gfi outlet and cover, replacement whips, fittings, wire, and the knowledge to install and program correct. Price each item out individually. Shit adds up
They make less expensive controls, and they make more expensive controls
8DE55F07-39F6-4A44-ACFC-DAABC2D34B2A.jpeg

If you have simple set up, no sub panel, single pump, pool spa light and heater.
Currently have Jandy, pentair or similar 3way valves. You could do pentair psl4 with screen logic should be closer to half that price. Pic is for reference and what goes into doing a control system correct. As you can see it’s no blue tooth on off switches, lol
You likely got estimate for pentair ez touch 4 with screen logic Or similar.

There is also another system I think Jandy came out with basically a timer to control vs pump, lights, heater, actuator and blue tooth technology. It was built to upgrade old intermatic type timers. No idea if it’s actually out yet, how reliable it is etc. Its targeted for budget type older pools

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
I have the Pentair Screenlogic system and have been happy with it. You can buy the hardware components to automate your system and the aren't that expensive as you noted, however you will be missing the software that integrates everything together which makes it nice. I have an app on my phone that I can use to control my pool pump, water feature, lights, read my water and air temp, etc. Also, I can control my pool from anywhere since it has a cloud connection. Over time I would expect the costs of the system to come down, but I don't see an equivalent option out there right now

HavaToon

Reaction score
Just starting a pool build at our Cave Creek house and went with the newest system from Pentair, intelicenter control system. It’s supposed to be much improved over the screen logic, we will see.

Automation was a must with pool, spa, slide, modern grotto with sheer decent, lighting, etc. There’s 3 pumps, a blower, multiple automated valves allowing us to control every little function independently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
They are designed to control multiple variable speed pumps, you can physically see the power being used at any given speed /time, light color and mode functions, water temp, outdoor temp, Heat pumps, programs, salt systems, solar systems, uv systems, chemical controllers with read out and adjustability.
They come with a sub panel, remote antenna and receiver, 2 temp sensors, 2 actuators, plus add in cost of gfi breakers, gfi outlet and cover, replacement whips, fittings, wire, and the knowledge to install and program correct. Price each item out individually. Shit adds up
View attachment 971047

If you have simple set up, no sub panel, single pump, pool spa light and heater.
Currently have Jandy, pentair or similar 3way valves. You could do pentair psl4 with screen logic should be closer to half that price. Pic is for reference and what goes into doing a control system correct. As you can see it’s no blue tooth on off switches, lol

There is also another system I think Jandy came out with basically a timer to control vs pump, lights, heater, actuator and blue tooth technology. It was built to upgrade old intermatic type timers. No idea if it’s actually out yet, how reliable it is etc. Its targeted for budget type older pools

I can’t tell you how many pool contractors tell me how great/organized their wiring is.

I’ve yet to open a pool panel and have it look anything close to yours [emoji1303][emoji1303]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have the Jandy system on my pool. Probably 20 years old now.

My bro in law has a brand new Jandy system on his pool. Fully controlled from his phone. It's bad azz. I'm jelly!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Just starting a pool build at our Cave Creek house and went with the newest system from Pentair, intelicenter control system. It’s supposed to be much improved over the screen logic, we will see.

Automation was a must with pool, spa, slide, modern grotto with sheer decent, lighting, etc. There’s 3 pumps, a blower, multiple automated valves allowing us to control every little function independently.

What is the difference between the 2 systems, and what is the cost for both? (I'm starting a new pool build in a few months)

grumpy88

Reaction score
What is the difference between the 2 systems, and what is the cost for both? (I'm starting a new pool build in a few months)
Im curious too since i am almost done with a pool build and i have the pentair intellichor

WhatExit?

Reaction score
I'm looking at going to salt on our existing pool - my pool guy is suggesting the Jandy TruClear. Any feedback on this salt system?

WhatExit?

Reaction score
View attachment 971047

Thanks for always setting us (me) right on how to do pools & equipment best. I know you get what you pay for and while buying hardware is one thing, getting someone like you who knows what he's doing and follows through is tough to get these days.

oldschool

Reaction score
The dog chewed up my pool light remote 20 years ago.

johnnyC

Reaction score
I have both pentair and jandy , the jandy is 10 years old and the intellacenter is a year old ... i prefer the Jandy as it operates smoother and the intellacenter is clunky in comparison

HavaToon

Reaction score

Intellicenter is Pentairs new top of the line automation and has replaced inteltouch, which is no longer available other than old stock.

It’s an entirely new system with improvements to each component from previous systems. More control, more functions, expandable.

Easier smart phone control, color touchscreen at the panel for easier programming, new fully sealed valves that are much easier to program from open to closed and anywhere in between, automatic pool chemistry with some systems available today and many more to come

grumpy88

Reaction score
Thanks for always setting us (me) right on how to do pools & equipment best. I know you get what you pay for and while buying hardware is one thing, getting someone like you who knows what he's doing and follows through is tough to get these days.
This is no joke ! 8 months on my pool build and the quality of work is beyond bad . Nice to know there is somebody out there who cares about quality of work .

satellitemike

Reaction score
So who is the go to for doing an upgrade on a15+ year old system, MYV?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score

What system do you have now?
We had a Jandy PDA and it worked but not very well.
Couple years ago I put in the iaqualink system. It was literally plug n play if you're handy.
Control from any computer or phone. Best thing since sliced bread
Now when Mrs EZ says jacuzzi is too hot or too cold she can do it herself lol

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
I'm looking at going to salt on our existing pool - my pool guy is suggesting the Jandy TruClear. Any feedback on this salt system?
your pool guy suggested a salt system?
I wouldn't add a salt system even if they gave it to me
throw in a bag of salt and call it a day lol

satellitemike

Reaction score
What system do you have now?
We had a Jandy PDA and it worked but not very well.
Couple years ago I put in the iaqualink system. It was literally plug n play if you're handy.
Control from any computer or phone. Best thing since sliced bread
Now when Mrs EZ says jacuzzi is too hot or too cold she can do it herself lol
Not sure as its at our rental house in Havasu, Ill check in a few weeks on our next trip out. I do know it is old school w mechanical on off timer and standard hand throw valves and the spa heater is just a basic on off switch w a rotary temp knob.

Last edited:

traquer

Reaction score
your pool guy suggested a salt system?
I wouldn't add a salt system even if they gave it to me
throw in a bag of salt and call it a day lol
Oh yeah? I don't wanna derail the thread but I'm gonna post a question on this when I'm ready to build the pool.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Oh yeah? I don't wanna derail the thread but I'm gonna post a question on this when I'm ready to build the pool.

This topic has been beat to death over and over again! lol

There are advantages to adding chlorine by hand, dispenser and by a salt system (yes, a salt system uses chlorine, it extracts it from the salt)...

And there are disadvantages to each method as well.

If you ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers. You have to decide for yourself what will work best for you and your particular location/situation...

I don't like the costs of a salt system, but that's just me. :)

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
$2400 for Easy 8 screen a good or not good price new build? Or should I go with something else?

Times Like These

Reaction score
Just got done with a pool update. Went with mini people and glass tile. Also did all new equipment, filter, pump, heater, and the Pentair easytouch system for full automation. Cost to do the easytouch and valves was 4,800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
There are no zip ties in use sir....
Left side LV lines zip tied zoom in, lol

im so deep in new construction and remodels I could probably squeeze in around June 2023, lol
What city I can probably refer someone
$2400 for Easy 8 screen a good or not good price new build? Or should I go with something else?
smokin deal if it’s an ez touch 8 with screen logic
Yeah, panel looks just like that😂 FAK...
Please tell me my son didn’t do that! Edit: I just looked at orig pics he sent me looks like was existing, maybe added screen logic only? Thank god, Lol

Last edited:

satellitemike

Reaction score
Left side LV lines zip tied zoom in, lol

im so deep in new construction and remodels I could probably squeeze in around June 2023, lol
What city I can probably refer someone

smokin deal if it’s an ez touch 8 with screen logic

Please tell me my son didn’t do that! Edit: I just looked at orig pics he sent me looks like was existing, maybe added screen logic only? Thank god, Lol
Havasu, we arent in any big hurry.

boatpi

Reaction score
Get pentair,
FF84F9BE-C43A-4B1F-A3D6-BF8863A2EE28.png
do I have 3 pools in the app. Flawless.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Now I need to pull my easy touch panel and see how my guy did with the wiring. I'll say I have been very happy with the pool electrician that I used, but I'm curious to see how clean (or messy) the wiring is behind the panel.

scottchbrite

Reaction score
No shit!!! I talked to Julian before Thanksgiving, sent him my site plans, and never heard back. I figured you guys probably werent taking in more work.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
No, I did service pools in the OC for about 15yrs before getting into the construction end of pools in So Cal.
Right on, prob have met if you worked in OC, many many years ago I worked for Orcal /scp Orange
What area you work now? Company is End of Pools?

AQUA-HOLICS

Reaction score
Right on, prob have met if you worked in OC, many many years ago I worked for Orcal /scp Orange
What area you work now? Company is End of Pools?
ORCAL🤔 I remember that place like it was only yesterday, every time I’m at SCP in Corona JR and I talk about those good old days. How did you not end up working for PENTAIR like most of the other counter guys?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
ORCAL🤔 I remember that place like it was only yesterday, every time I’m at SCP in Corona JR and I talk about those good old days. How did you not end up working for PENTAIR like most of the other counter guys?
JR Castro, we go way back. Shit like close to 30 years
Tell him Tim from SoCal Pools says what up.
Long story. SCP fukt me hard, then threatened to sue every company I went to work for. So I went on my own and made scp drop their pants to get me to buy from them.