WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool Build Thread

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Thought I'd contribute something other than gun info for a bit.

I'm doing an owner/builder subcontract instead of hiring a general. So far it's been a good experience. Subs are glad to work directly and get paid cash when work is done. They are willing to negotiate as well. Saving a bunch of money and getting better stuff. City was stupid easy to work with (this part does depend on where you live). And the real nice thing is that the subs want to help you build a great pool and want referrals. What I mean us you get recommendations for better ways to do things, and in talking about stuff that has nothing to do with their trade. Stuff that doesn't cost anything or may cost minimally but is a total game changer and again it's the differ saying something to have the plumber do or the hard scape guy making recommendations that have to do with skimmer locations etc. so far so good. So here's some pics. I'll have to update as I go along. Dig started today.

Backyard after we prepped. Dismantled and took away playset. Also removed lattice and vines from back wall so we can do it proper and add a row of block and a cap.
View attachment 454329

Today's progress.
Grass removed and forms set.
View attachment 454334

I might get silly and go play with the bobcat.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
My uncle did Owner/Builer on his pool. due to the money saved he was able to do the things he originally couldn't afford. In the ned he didn't save anything but got a much higher end pool than he was going to get going through a pool builder.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Run extra PVC conduits for stuff you haven't even thought if yet...don't try to figure it out now, just have one of the trades run extra 1"'stuff from a location central to power and water.

Future water features, future low or line voltage requirements down the road. Just put them down before concrete, install a pull string and cap them.

Years from now you'll (or the next owner) will thank me and not remember why...

A hundred bux of PVC now versus potential thousands to demo and pour back trenches.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
My uncle did Owner/Builer on his pool. due to the money saved he was able to do the things he originally couldn't afford. In the ned he didn't save anything but got a much higher end pool than he was going to get going through a pool builder.

Yeah I hear you. I'm still a few grand less though then just the pool from the lowest bidder but that didn't include the deck. And I surely would have had to pay to fix the walls they broke down and they'd of course find reasons to charge me this or that. And I have full on Pentair equipment with remote control from my phone instead of manual valves and a crispy brand of equipment. No saw cuts just charged for the new concrete instead of paying for removal down the side etc. if I had an extra 20 grand it might be the Bellagio out back.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Run extra PVC conduits for stuff you haven't even thought if yet...don't try to figure it out now, just have one of the trades run extra 1"'stuff from a location central to power and water.

Future water features, future low or line voltage requirements down the road. Just put them down before concrete, install a pull string and cap them.

A hundred bux of PVC now versus potential thousands to demo and pour back trenches.

Thanks. I'm thinking of stuff I want thrown in but may have an extra run like you suggest.

I thought of that when I originally put in my landscape (you know back when I should have just done a pool) and had a conduit run for electrical which I had the spa hooked up and now my pool will run off of that 220 line. Had an extra water line run with the sprinklers just in case too. Wish I would have ran a damn gas line then the side yard concrete wouldn't need to come up.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Thought I'd contribute something other than gun info for a bit.

I'm doing an owner/builder subcontract instead of hiring a general. So far it's been a good experience. Subs are glad to work directly and get paid cash when work is done. They are willing to negotiate as well. Saving a bunch of money and getting better stuff. City was stupid easy to work with (this part does depend on where you live). And the real nice thing is that the subs want to help you build a great pool and want referrals. What I mean us you get recommendations for better ways to do things, and in talking about stuff that has nothing to do with their trade. Stuff that doesn't cost anything or may cost minimally but is a total game changer and again it's the differ saying something to have the plumber do or the hard scape guy making recommendations that have to do with skimmer locations etc. so far so good. So here's some pics. I'll have to update as I go along. Dig started today.

Backyard after we prepped. Dismantled and took away playset. Also removed lattice and vines from back wall so we can do it proper and add a row of block and a cap.
View attachment 454329

Today's progress.
Grass removed and forms set.
View attachment 454334

I might get silly and go play with the bobcat.

Fire the bobcat up I'm on my way [emoji12]

Jimmy

Reaction score
We can take it out in the street and charge a fee for a 60 second ride. Can make a grip of cash over the next 4 days.
We made a dirt bike track out at one of the boys farm.
Why a hire company would give us 2 bobcats and a excavator is beyond me.
We didn't have a license between us.
Was a good pissed weekend with heavy equipment 😄.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1451349261584.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1451349261584.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 182
  • uploadfromtaptalk1451349269338.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1451349269338.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 209
  • uploadfromtaptalk1451349276944.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1451349276944.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 189

Jimmy

Reaction score
If there's and steel work underground u wanna lube it all up with fish oil.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Ya wanna coat any steel work underground like posts with oil to prevent it rusting.

Gotcha. Thanks. Only steelwork is the pool rebar and the rebar and mesh in the decking. Licensed subs so I'll double check with them on that.

teded

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451362245.088855.jpg 30 days from first shovel to swim, ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451362360.161785.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451362382.240044.jpg

DLC

Reaction score
I remodeled my existing pool back in 2005, it was Originally built in 1976. I'm not a pool guy but figured how hard can it be... I did all new everything but the concrete hole in the ground It ended up taking about 2 months to complete.

Sorry I don't know how to post pics

Here are some things to think about

Drains drains drains
Around the pool deck and also an over flow/ back wash drain and maybe even in your existing planters, tie in rain gutter down spouts, drains also for when you clean the pool filters
To much water just sucks and can be a big problem to deal with later down the road

DE leaves a white stain down the gutter when you back wash, also

Pool auto fill with shut off

Think about pool solar? Do all the under ground stuff now even buy the correct valves and you can install roof panels later down the road.

Low volt lights can be controlled by the phone thru your system and you might want conducts for the wires and even think about stereo speakers out in the planters, it's hard to hear tunes with water falls unless you turn em up and then it's tuff to have conversations with tunes cranking... something to think about.

Use gray ele pvc pipe for umbrella holders if it's going in your plaster, it blends in better than white pipe

You can buy additives for your pool plaster and just have the plaster guy add it as he mixes up the plaster, like a 3m Quartz or the Hydrazo I'm sure there are others, not sure what type of finish your doing. I did the 3m Quartz and a gray color plaster, looked like a lagoon but has lightened up over the years

You said something about gas line... I added a gas fire pit, bought a kit at RCP Block and Brick for $300 bucks and we use it year round. This was a total impulsive purchase and it turned out nice and was really inexpensive. I already had to add the gas line so this was an easy one.

Your not just adding a pool, your remodeling your back yard and adding value to your home!

I hope this helps, some of it has already been posted but wanted to expand.

Thank you for all your gun & CCW Intel

Good Luck!
DLC

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Did an owner build as well and yes it does suck when you forget simple things early. Some PVC would of been nice for my speaker wire and an extra water tap back by the pool equipment.

My builders didn't leave me enough line on the pool and spa light. It's manageable but a pain in the ass to change a bulb because it barely makes it to the deck/coping.

Maybe see if the can hook your pool backflush up to your drainage system to the street. I'm lucky I have a drainage ditch behind my house so I can just drain/backflush to that.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Today's dig. Halfway there. This guy drives the mini Bob like a champ.
View attachment 454516

I'm tripping out. He didn't leaves piled of dirt on my driveway to have to be scooped with a bigger tractor in order to dump and jack up my concrete. He just built a ramp with dirt so he's high enough to load into the truck. It's fun watching him work the minibob.
View attachment 454517

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Today's dig. Halfway there. This guy drives the mini Bob like a champ.
View attachment 454516

I'm tripping out. He didn't leaves piled of dirt on my driveway to have to be scooped with a bigger tractor in order to dump and jack up my concrete. He just built a ramp with dirt so he's high enough to load into the truck. It's fun watching him work the minibob.
View attachment 454517

Should I bring Eli's 50 over [emoji12]

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Got home too late to take a picture today. One more load of dirt in the morning and some forming and the dis is done. Very very pleased with my excavator.

A board member has some contacts and hooked me up. I am now getting Shotcrete instead of Gunite for the Gunite price. Still out of pocket for the same lower bid but getting s better product that should cost 1200 more. So thankful.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Just curious why you are going with shotcrete over gunite considering gunite has a higher compressive strength?

You sure you have that right? I'm just asking as I know you were a pool builder. From my research shotcrete comes out of the nozzle at a higher PSI and dries at a higher PSI. It is a more consistent mix as it's computer controlled at the plant. You still need a competent nozzle man but it's not as reliant as gunite on the nozzle man controlling the mix.

But gunite has been around for ages and I have no problem with it. I was set to use it based on price and based on recommendations from some of my other trades that this guy is good. But then a board member reached out who had contacts and my gunite guy being one of them. Well this shotcrete guy is local to me but usually does jobs sitting in traffic so he's cutting a good deal to get a local job. His resume is in fancy schmancy areas $$$. This may get him jumpstarted on more local jobs as well as I have plenty of people wanting my detailed pool build info so they can replicate. Hmmm maybe a side job for me "consulting". Anyhow come to find out after asking around the gunite guy is a real good guy but is real busy right now and doesn't have a full time crew. They bounce around to the other gunite companies so you may get a good crew or a sloppy one. Shotcrete guy is controlled. It's the same price where around here is usually 1200 more.

And lastly, Shotcrete is ready in 2 days compared to 7 for Gunite so I get my pool done sooner. I know it's winter but I may be starting a life changing career here in a couple months and when I do I won't have time for squat for at least the six months during training. That's why the hurry to get started and finished while I can do this and not have to pay thousands more for less of a product.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
You sure you have that right? I'm just asking as I know you were a pool builder. From my research shotcrete comes out of the nozzle at a higher PSI and dries at a higher PSI. It is a more consistent mix as it's computer controlled at the plant. You still need a competent nozzle man but it's not as reliant as gunite on the nozzle man controlling the mix.

But gunite has been around for ages and I have no problem with it. I was set to use it based on price and based on recommendations from some of my other trades that this guy is good. But then a board member reached out who had contacts and my gunite guy being one of them. Well this shotcrete guy is local to me but usually does jobs sitting in traffic so he's cutting a good deal to get a local job. His resume is in fancy schmancy areas $$$. This may get him jumpstarted on more local jobs as well as I have plenty of people wanting my detailed pool build info so they can replicate. Hmmm maybe a side job for me "consulting". Anyhow come to find out after asking around the gunite guy is a real good guy but is real busy right now and doesn't have a full time crew. They bounce around to the other gunite companies so you may get a good crew or a sloppy one. Shotcrete guy is controlled. It's the same price where around here is usually 1200 more.

And lastly, Shotcrete is ready in 2 days compared to 7 for Gunite so I get my pool done sooner. I know it's winter but I may be starting a life changing career here in a couple months and when I do I won't have time for squat for at least the six months during training. That's why the hurry to get started and finished while I can do this and not have to pay thousands more for less of a product.

Gunite is NOT a higher compressive strength. Actually Gunite say design strength at 3500 will typically cure out at 28 days pretty close to 3500-4000, Shotcrete design strength 3500 cure out over 28 days will typically be closer to 4500+psi
Engineers will say no difference in strength usually just what ever preference, but in many many tests this is what Iv seen
Not many Gunite guys in Southern California anymore, and most that are have Shotcrete rigs also
gunite is a little less per yard, but you pay for rebound ( very low psi ) that can not be used. So you'll end up paying guys to break it up plus dump fees the next day. So generally you end up paying the same
Shotcrete rebound technically shouldn't be used either ( but still cures out close to design strength )
Shotcrete used to be considerably higher cost compared to Gunite, that's why it was usually only used on commercial or high psi requirement jobs
Most old Gunite rigs can not even be ran now because of California diesel laws
Every pool I build we use Shotcrete, unless owner or specs specify Gunite only but price doesn't change on my end.
The other thing w Gunite especially doing as owner builder, is company bids job. If he bids to low he adjusts sand and cement ratio to benefit his bottom line. Giving you a large pool sand castle. Knowing as an owner builder if or when the pool cracks everyone points the finger at the other guy.
Shotcrete comes from plant already mixed, not so easy to fuk with mix. I will tell you this as owner builder. Don't let them use alpha materials for Shotcrete material ( they're known for so so material ) also if your paying Shotcrete dude direct and not materials direct I suggest you get release from material company before you pay Shotcrete guy. Cement company's are by far the first one to jump on liens on your house, and don't trust a ya don't worry about it just use this release. Your best bet is pay materials direct and pay Shotcrete guy a per yard labor price only.
As far as cure days for working on next step. Makes no difference either way both you'll wet down 2-3xs a day for the first week or 2 depending on weather. But wouldn't hold up any work after getting shot regardless.
Good luck, lookin good so far. I'm watching to see when it's all said and done how much you truly save

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Gunite is NOT a higher compressive strength. Actually Gunite say design strength at 3500 will typically cure out at 28 days pretty close to 3500-4000, Shotcrete design strength 3500 cure out over 28 days will typically be closer to 4500+psi
Engineers will say no difference in strength usually just what ever preference, but in many many tests this is what Iv seen
Not many Gunite guys in Southern California anymore, and most that are have Shotcrete rigs also
gunite is a little less per yard, but you pay for rebound ( very low psi ) that can not be used. So you'll end up paying guys to break it up plus dump fees the next day. So generally you end up paying the same
Shotcrete rebound technically shouldn't be used either ( but still cures out close to design strength )
Shotcrete used to be considerably higher cost compared to Gunite, that's why it was usually only used on commercial or high psi requirement jobs
Most old Gunite rigs can not even be ran now because of California diesel laws
Every pool I build we use Shotcrete, unless owner or specs specify Gunite only but price doesn't change on my end.
The other thing w Gunite especially doing as owner builder, is company bids job. If he bids to low he adjusts sand and cement ratio to benefit his bottom line. Giving you a large pool sand castle. Knowing as an owner builder if or when the pool cracks everyone points the finger at the other guy.
Shotcrete comes from plant already mixed, not so easy to fuk with mix. I will tell you this as owner builder. Don't let them use alpha materials for Shotcrete material ( they're known for so so material ) also if your paying Shotcrete dude direct and not materials direct I suggest you get release from material company before you pay Shotcrete guy. Cement company's are by far the first one to jump on liens on your house, and don't trust a ya don't worry about it just use this release. Your best bet is pay materials direct and pay Shotcrete guy a per yard labor price only.
As far as cure days for working on next step. Makes no difference either way both you'll wet down 2-3xs a day for the first week or 2 depending on weather. But wouldn't hold up any work after getting shot regardless.
Good luck, lookin good so far. I'm watching to see when it's all said and done how much you truly save

Thanks for the tips. I'll be glad to share all my info with you when done. To be fair and get apples to apples on real savings you'd have to give me a number of what it would have cost with the upgraded equipment and any other thing above and beyond.

And for the record for anyone watching MYV had one of the most competitive quotes. Actually on one company slightly less but the product would have been so much better. And it wasn't apples to apples as the demo they wanted to do would have cost me a lot more to replace.

Also, his prices on individual trades was very competitive also. I'm still considering. My biggest reason if I don't is that for what I'm doing then I have a crew that works together in multiple trades and along with the savings it takes a lot of the scheduling work etc. away from me because they are all in contact with each other and in when they need to be.

Point being it's worth it to you to get a quote from MYV if you need something done.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll be glad to share all my info with you when done. To be fair and get apples to apples on real savings you'd have to give me a number of what it would have cost with the upgraded equipment and any other thing above and beyond.

And for the record for anyone watching MYV had one of the most competitive quotes. Actually on one company slightly less but the product would have been so much better. And it wasn't apples to apples as the demo they wanted to do would have cost me a lot more to replace.

Also, his prices on individual trades was very competitive also. I'm still considering. My biggest reason if I don't is that for what I'm doing then I have a crew that works together in multiple trades and along with the savings it takes a lot of the scheduling work etc. away from me because they are all in contact with each other and in when they need to be.

Point being it's worth it to you to get a quote from MYV if you need something done.

With out looking I'd say my original bid had Pentair equipment, variable speed pump ( that's all I use ) 520 filter, 400 master temp, should of had option for controls w salt ( and yes that's with phone remote ), options for color led lights, and pebble etc.. Normally that way on every estimate unless was specified otherwise to compare other estimates I don't recall.

Either way thanks, and if you need advice or work looked at just let me know

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
With out looking I'd say my original bid had Pentair equipment, variable speed pump ( that's all I use ) 520 filter, 400 master temp, should of had option for controls w salt ( and yes that's with phone remote ), options for color led lights, and pebble etc.. Normally that way on every estimate unless was specified otherwise to compare other estimates I don't recall.

Either way thanks, and if you need advice or work looked at just let me know

You are right. You did include Pentair. Interestingly enough Blue Fountain did too but they wanted to jack things up. I wouldn't trust them.

You do have the options in like you mentioned too.

Will see how it turns out and will keep posting progress pics. I did raise the spa to 18 inches and we are just replacing concrete on side instead of saw cut. I'm about 15 grand saved but we'll see when finished.

But it is a lot of work and negotiating. Is it worth Splash prices? No. Is it worth So-Cal pools prices if you don't have the time, or gumption to do it yourself and can afford it? Sure. I started looking because I am on a set budget and couldn't get everything done. That and builders scared me.

Dealing with diggers myself then all I did was take off my gate and the braces and he fit the bobcat right through. No demo, no taking off gas meter or jacking up my hose bib, no removal of my wife's plants and shrubs just trimmed back. He's driving like a champ. That right there is savings if factored in. No block or plants or plumbing etc etc to replace.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
My worthless 2 pennies.

MYV is cool people and I would happily take his advice. He won't steer you wrong.

Brian

You are right. You did include Pentair. Interestingly enough Blue Fountain did too but they wanted to jack things up. I wouldn't trust them.

You do have the options in like you mentioned too.

Will see how it turns out and will keep posting progress pics. I did raise the spa to 18 inches and we are just replacing concrete on side instead of saw cut. I'm about 15 grand saved but we'll see when finished.

But it is a lot of work and negotiating. Is it worth Splash prices? No. Is it worth So-Cal pools prices if you don't have the time, or gumption to do it yourself and can afford it? Sure. I started looking because I am on a set budget and couldn't get everything done. That and builders scared me.

Dealing with diggers myself then all I did was take off my gate and the braces and he fit the bobcat right through. No demo, no taking off gas meter or jacking up my hose bib, no removal of my wife's plants and shrubs just trimmed back. He's driving like a champ. That right there is savings if factored in. No block or plants or plumbing etc etc to replace.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
My worthless 2 pennies.

MYV is cool people and I would happily take his advice. He won't steer you wrong.

Brian

Agreed. I do t think he overcharges and he earns his pay from what I've seen. He won't build an inferior product to get a job either. If my boat was worth more I'd have likely snatched up his bid and not even looked at doing it myself.

Just can't pay with money you don't have.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Agreed. I do t think he overcharges and he earns his pay from what I've seen. He won't build an inferior product to get a job either. If my boat was worth more I'd have likely snatched up his bid and not even looked at doing it myself.

Just can't pay with money you don't have.

Yes sir.

I understand and I wasn't disagreeing. I was just giving you my experience with the man's work and knowledge.

Brian

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Some things in this thread I agree with, some things I disagree. The Shotcrete vs. Gunite debate is kind of like a Ford vs. Chevy argument....no one is going to win and everyone has a different opinion. I'm sure you will save a good chunk of change doing it on your own, because I know what was made on the 4000 pools or so that I built. :D At this point I'm going to step out of this conversation.

All that is important is that you and your family enjoy your pool because in the end that's what it is all about.:thumbsup

Oh yeah. I was going to go Gunite. For the price I didn't mind. All the backyard pools I've ever enjoyed were likely gunite. But now I'm hearing about the quality of different crews from the one company so yeah I'm thinking Shotcrete is the ticket.

NicPaus

Reaction score

Blue Fountain did a friends pool. They sub out at everything and only show up if you complain and hold back the next check. They hosed my Buddy good. I looked at 2 other builds they were doing at same time after talking to one of the subs. 1 the quality was great and site nice and clean. Friends the lazy fucks used the pool as a porta potty and the plasterers had to clean it up and shop vac out all the piss before they could start. Was nasty. They sell pool builds they do not build pools.

I would not put MYV in there category. He is very hands on. I am waiting on city approval for a project that involves a new pool. He will be one of the first calls i make.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score

Blue Fountain did a friends pool. They sub out at everything and only show up if you complain and hold back the next check. They hosed my Buddy good. I looked at 2 other builds they were doing at same time after talking to one of the subs. 1 the quality was great and site nice and clean. Friends the lazy fucks used the pool as a porta potty and the plasterers had to clean it up and shop vac out all the piss before they could start. Was nasty. They sell pool builds they do not build pools.

I would not put MYV in there category. He is very hands on. I am waiting on city approval for a project that involves a new pool. He will be one of the first calls i make.

I agree. Quality build is what I would expect from MYV. Wasn't comparing to Blue Fountain at all. Well except for his price was actually close and possibly even cheaper when you factor in fixing their screw ups and things not included etc.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I agree. Quality build is what I would expect from MYV. Wasn't comparing to Blue Fountain at all. Well except for his price was actually close and possibly even cheaper when you factor in fixing their screw ups and things not included etc.

They destroyed my buddies yard during excavation. Then hit him with all types of change orders and up charges. Like mentioned they are sales men not builders. They send out the closer after you negotiate with a sales man. Be sure to read the fine print as it was not what was agreed upon by the original sales guy. Then depending on how they feel you out they pick the subs to use for your build. That is where it is hit or miss.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
They destroyed my buddies yard during excavation. Then hit him with all types of change orders and up charges. Like mentioned they are sales men not builders. They send out the closer after you negotiate with a sales man. Be sure to read the fine print as it was not what was agreed upon by the original sales guy. Then depending on how they feel you out they pick the subs to use for your build. That is where it is hit or miss.

Well they would have likely sent me the good ones as I read the fine print and am a stickler and would have been up in everything. But I'm building myself. Not sure if you caught that.

Digger just checked with me on depths because we are doing a play pool. If we would have went to the specified depth in the plans for the middle then I'd have very little flat shallow on each end. Would have sucked. Went a foot shallower on the middle depth and it looks good. He dug to that depth on one half and then showed me to see what I wanted to do. I think a salesman as you say would have just sold me the funky steep slopes and no one would have checked with me during the build and I'd have ended up unhappy.

Basically do it yourself or make sure you find a reputable and trustworthy builder such as MYV.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Well they would have likely sent me the good ones as I read the fine print and am a stickler and would have been up in everything. But I'm building myself. Not sure if you caught that.

Digger just checked with me on depths because we are doing a play pool. If we would have went to the specified depth in the plans for the middle then I'd have very little flat shallow on each end. Would have sucked. Went a foot shallower on the middle depth and it looks good. He dug to that depth on one half and then showed me to see what I wanted to do. I think a salesman as you say would have just sold me the funky steep slopes and no one would have checked with me during the build and I'd have ended up unhappy.

Basically do it yourself or make sure you find a reputable and trustworthy builder such as MYV.

What dimensions and depths did you go to? I am thinking about doing the exact same thing but going with MYV because I don't have the time or knowledge to do it myself...

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
What dimensions and depths did you go to? I am thinking about doing the exact same thing but going with MYV because I don't have the time or knowledge to do it myself...

It's a 15x30 pool with the 7x7 spa up in the corner. I can share my plans with you if you'd like.

Side closest to the spa is 3.5 and furthest out is 4.5. Deep middle we settled at 5 feet coming down from 6. Would have to have a longer pool for 6 to make sense. I'm actually happy about it. My wife wanted the 6 for the kids diving down but diving at an angle is totally fine. The pool they dive in at swim lessons is like 3 feet.

MYV is your guy if you are going to have it built. I'll be glad to share all my quotes and even my owner build budget and info as well. One condition though. You cannot use my owner build info to beat up MYV in price. He is not overpriced for what he offers at all. Now if you want to beat up Splash then have at it.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
It's a 15x30 pool with the 7x7 spa up in the corner. I can share my plans with you if you'd like.

Side closest to the spa is 3.5 and furthest out is 4.5. Deep middle we settled at 5 feet coming down from 6. Would have to have a longer pool for 6 to make sense. I'm actually happy about it. My wife wanted the 6 for the kids diving down but diving at an angle is totally fine. The pool they dive in at swim lessons is like 3 feet.

MYV is your guy if you are going to have it built. I'll be glad to share all my quotes and even my owner build budget and info as well. One condition though. You cannot use my owner build info to beat up MYV in price. He is not overpriced for what he offers at all. Now if you want to beat up Splash then have at it.

I got lucky. Mine is close to 9' deep [emoji12] I see a diving board in the very near future. I'm getting older but I'm still a big kid [emoji4]

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I got lucky. Mine is close to 9' deep [emoji12] I see a diving board in the very near future. I'm getting older but I'm still a big kid [emoji4]

9 can be done. Just more permit costs and more engineering costs and of course the construction.

But who uses it anyway. Play pool equals one big party without everyone crowded into the deep end.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
I'm just kidding you. There's a scene in the movie where she goes in the backyard, they just had a pool dug, it's raining, she falls in and bodies start popping up.:D

[video=youtube;oavbwA7fE0c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavbwA7fE0c[/video]

I know I said I'd stay out of this thread...;) How much rain are you expecting and when? If it's just a sprinkle, no big deal. If it's a lot you might want to take a few precautions. Make sure there are no downspouts or drains that are going to drain into the pool. Also, maybe cover the walls of the pool in plastic so that they don't cave-in. In NorCal we deal with rain in the winter all the time and I have the gunite/shotcrete company out to put a "flash" coat on the excavation to keep it from caving in. That way the next day after the rain you pump it out and go to work. Yes you lose an inch or so of depth but watch how much you lose if it caves in.

I know and I know the movie but I was a wee youngin at the time.

Yeah my differ said with the soul and the angles he did up top it should be fine but I can take some precautions to be sure.

Even after he was paid in full and long gone he called me because he was at Home Depot and saw what he thought was the best for me to go get and make sure the sides don't cave if the rain gets bad. Said the bottom is fine.

My rebar guy already said he'll pump and clean out whatever is in there free of charge.