WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

pool coping question.

spectra bash

Reaction score
Does anyone ave solid cantilever concrete around pool without having seperate coping? pros and cons on either design?

fmo24

Reaction score
I did. There was caulkIng between tile and concrete. No issues with mine

fmo24

Reaction score
6FE35FFB-E0AA-4580-A499-F11B7BFBB8DB.jpeg

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
What’s the question?
Cantilever is pretty much cons
Separate coping is pros
Lol

Cantilever deck basically is a time saver on install, only pro
If deck moves tiles popping
If pool moves tiles popping
Or it can crack perimeter of deck about 12in back from face again from movement
If your in the desert area or pretty much sandy soil. If compacted good then you’ll probably be ok
The draw back is if it cracks or pops tiles your ripping out deck to fix, re floating brown coat, re setting tile, re doing mastic. All usually means drain pool to do also. Then while doing cement work w deck, thin set, brown coat etc. usually ends up getting on plaster or Pebble. And that opens another can of worms.

Separate pour, precast, Stone etc.. should move with the structure of the pool, independent of the deck
Any failures are spot specific and can be addressed with that single section/piece. With out draining to fix most of the time

I build and do my best to avoid doing cantilever decks. If any clay in the soil an even bigger no thanks from me.
We will do, but I will tell customers don’t bother calling me for problems if and when it fails.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
This was a job I was semi involved in less then a year old in Redlands
Gave costs for retaining wall at rear of yard and back fill to raise up rear of yard 6ft plus.
Concrete deck, separate coping, tile, re plumb, new equipment, pebble pool

He didn’t like my price and subbed out to multiple peeps. Showed me some of the bids and I said no way they are doing what I’m doing for that price. So he moved forward with them.
Wall guys did “ok” but their fill / grading to raise backyard was straight shit work
Deck guys formed coping, and I said when are they doing outside forms for coping. He says oh they claim they can do same day while pouring with edge trowels. Lmao okayyyy. I advised him he was getting cantilever deck not separate. He moved forward
Sure as shit, they did cantilever and just edge troweled a mock joint to resemble separate coping.
Tile guys set tile and grouted to “coping” and mastic was poured into pretend joint in deck
We did re plumb, equipment, and pebble.
So 6 months or so later, hey Tim I’m having some problems come look and make suggestions how we fix.
In the mean time he’s trying to get all other subs to cover fixes, including Robertson’s for concrete mix, and soil and base company for a sub par mix. Lol
how do you fix? Uhhh remodel your freshly remodeled backyard.

Moral of the story cantilever decks suck, lol
20498CCD-8B02-47CC-8EDB-70C80A015295.png

riverroyal

Reaction score
Think 30 years ahead
You can grind unless it coping. Someday that pool will be empty

CobraDave

Reaction score
Glad I didn’t do it that way. I liked the look of a single pour but was advised against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BasilHayden

Reaction score
This was a job I was semi involved in less then a year old in Redlands
Gave costs for retaining wall at rear of yard and back fill to raise up rear of yard 6ft plus.
Concrete deck, separate coping, tile, re plumb, new equipment, pebble pool

He didn’t like my price and subbed out to multiple peeps. Showed me some of the bids and I said no way they are doing what I’m doing for that price. So he moved forward with them.
Wall guys did “ok” but their fill / grading to raise backyard was straight shit work
Deck guys formed coping, and I said when are they doing outside forms for coping. He says oh they claim they can do same day while pouring with edge trowels. Lmao okayyyy. I advised him he was getting cantilever deck not separate. He moved forward
Sure as shit, they did cantilever and just edge troweled a mock joint to resemble separate coping.
Tile guys set tile and grouted to “coping” and mastic was poured into pretend joint in deck
We did re plumb, equipment, and pebble.
So 6 months or so later, hey Tim I’m having some problems come look and make suggestions how we fix.
In the mean time he’s trying to get all other subs to cover fixes, including Robertson’s for concrete mix, and soil and base company for a sub par mix. Lol
how do you fix? Uhhh remodel your freshly remodeled backyard.

Moral of the story cantilever decks suck, lol
View attachment 889045

Come on Tim, real moral is you hire pro's because they are pro's. Rarely are they the cheapest up front, but often over time!
I remind people they are counting on my warranty, you do want us to be in business then don't you...

Magic Mike

Reaction score
The cheap option is often very expensive...

You try to explain it to some people and they have been screwed so many times already, that they figure you are just trying to get over on them.

spectra bash

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Got it . Not going solid. I do like the look. Maybe pour the coping to match the decking.