WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool.....evaporation, or leak?

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
What’s the level your filling it to?
Does it have an overflow and your filling it past that?
About 1/2in per day is evaporation
First thing is turn off equipment, no spa, no swimming
Check what it drops over 24 hours
If it’s 1/2 or less then turn equipment on and stop worrying, look into adding autofill so your not having to keep an eye on it.
If it’s more, bucket test.
Then it’s leak detection time. Then it would be home warranty time. If you call them first they’ll send out a service company that there intent is to do simple fix and bill insurance. It’s not in their best interest to spend days, weeks fixing shit then fight with insurance to prove needed repairs

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I don’t remember who fixed my pool in chino. It was the skimmer, but I also don’t remember it being too expensive. I need to re plaster our current pool but I’m waiting for the neighbors. We are going to get our 3 pools knocked out at once. I need a heater installed too but I’m not in a real big hurry to spend the money

78DiMarco

Reaction score
We're getting settled in the new house and i've been monitoring the pool water level. It seems we have to add water for 30-40 minutes every 2.5 - 3 days to keep the level up. I let it go for 4 1/2 days and ended up running the fill for 50 minutes yesterday. Not sure on the GPM of flow from the pool fill, but it goes thru a sprinkler valve and then thru PVC under concrete, flow appears to be similar to a 50' 5/8" garden hose with average pressure.

The pool is 30,000 gallons, plaster 17 x 34 with a 5' x 8' Jacuzzi. In between fills we are using the Jacuzzi 1-2 times at night and the kids usually swim twice.

Does this seem excessive or should I start looking in to a leak detection company? I've yet to do the "bucket test" and see if evap is on par with pool level drop, but im told all plaster pools leak a bit to some degree so it will never match exactly.

What say ye?
Sounds like a leak to me, I've had similar pools and unless you have kids knocking the water out in a big way something is wrong. Like others have said the joint between the skimmer is a common place for a leak... get it checked

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I resolved dealing with the fill issue by putting a battery actuated fill valve. During the summer 10 minutes a day, spring and fall 3 minutes a day, off in winter.
Water level stays within 1/8 inch.
I’m on my second actuator after 20 years.

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
We're getting settled in the new house and i've been monitoring the pool water level. It seems we have to add water for 30-40 minutes every 2.5 - 3 days to keep the level up. I let it go for 4 1/2 days and ended up running the fill for 50 minutes yesterday. Not sure on the GPM of flow from the pool fill, but it goes thru a sprinkler valve and then thru PVC under concrete, flow appears to be similar to a 50' 5/8" garden hose with average pressure.

The pool is 30,000 gallons, plaster 17 x 34 with a 5' x 8' Jacuzzi. In between fills we are using the Jacuzzi 1-2 times at night and the kids usually swim twice.

Does this seem excessive or should I start looking in to a leak detection company? I've yet to do the "bucket test" and see if evap is on par with pool level drop, but im told all plaster pools leak a bit to some degree so it will never match exactly.

What say ye?

Is it windy where you are as in Santa Ana wind?
I lived in Lancaster for a long time and it does get windy there and I always noticed a loss of water in my pool on a daily basis when the wind was blowing.
Wind will affect evaporation, along with outside ambient temperature. ;)
Just a thought.

fishing fool

Reaction score
And if you don't loose any water when it cools off it is for sure evaporation........

I’ve read this entire thread and come to a fact based, logical conclusion...
Your losing water through either evaporation or a leak.

Yore welcome.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
My pool is now leaking as well but it’s fairly apparent where it’s coming from. Going to have to cut out the
2249919B-A6EB-4B84-AA37-6AD1775DCB26.jpeg
stamped and colored concrete to get to it. I think it’s the line from the pool skimmer running back to the equipmen.

JSquared

M31
Reaction score
Evaporation for sure. Sounds about the same as my pool on the loss.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Update - I haven’t done anything to work towards determining if I have a leak :D. But I’m thinking about it! Busy getting the upstairs remodeled and I’ll look at the pool next. Will probably do the bucket test and see what that shows