WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool maintenance advice.

DaBank

Reaction score
My aunt in Lakewood California past away a few months ago and the pool service she had stop showing up 2 months ago and I can not find anyone down there that is available for monthly service.
I live 2 hours away and go check on the house every 2 weeks. The pool is now green. Last week bought a brush and clean off all the algae and put 4 gallons of pool shock in it. Every two weeks I clean out the pine needles with a net ( has a large pine tree in backyard that drops lots of needles).
Two weeks ago it was turning green and I figured the brushing and the shock would start clearing it up but I went yesterday and it was worst.
We I did the shock I turned the pool pump on and had the neighbor leave it on for 24 hours.
I checked yesterday and the timer was set for 4 hours a day and I changed it two 8 hours a day and I added 2 more gallons of shock and told the neighbor to let it run 24 hours again.
So for 2 months I have not added any chemicals beside the shock since I figured we would have found a pool guy.
Her pool guy took the automatic vacuum and all supplies and said they were his and that just does not sound right but there nothing I could do or prove they were my aunt's.
My question is what can I do to keep this pool clean ( no one will be swimming in it) while the house is in probate?
I assume i need to buy a vacuum and what chemicals are needed to keep the water clear?
This pool was made in the 1960's and no one has been swimming in it for 15 years. It has always had a pool man weekly and biweekly and kept clean.
The pool equipment is ancient and has been patch repaired do to cost having a older woman on a fix income.
When the pump turns on there is a burst of water that comes out in the pool and then the pressure lowers and the entire time it runs there are little bubbles and the neighbor told me that means there is a air leak somewhere.
I appreciate any input or information.
Frank

Attachments

• 20230119_144743.jpg
    20230119_144743.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20230119_144650.jpg
    20230119_144650.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Sadly, pool maintenance is Not something you'll learn overnight.

Plus, every location requires different methods as does every different time of the year.

It can be overwhelming at first!

But the good news is, it's NOT rocket science and can be easily accomplished with the correct tools.

This here is my personal best friend in taking care of my pool. The booklet that comes with the test kit is probably the most important part.

Intlatall the related app on your phone and you'll be all set by swim season.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Maybe look at aerial images of the neighborhood, note houses with pools, knock on their doors and ask for their pool guys number then mention to them your a few doors down form their customer.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I hope that you find a solution quickly.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Oh shit...

Just re-read you post. I might know someone. Checking...

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Check the phosphate level in the pool. Our house in Huntington Beach is surrounded by vegetation, organic material falls into the pool, gets swept up and deposited in the filter where it decomposes. No amount of chlorine will keep it from turning green. There are phosphate solutions for this online or at a Leslie's.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Is it a multispeed pump or a single speed pump

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
As Rivermobster suggested, get a test kit to check the various levels in the pool (chlorine levels, Ph, hardness, etc.) Then you'll have to get the appropriate chemicals to bring levels to where they need to be. Google or here will be your friend for this. It helps to know how many gallons the pool is too so you know how much of each chemical to add.

Looking at how green that is, you might just want to bite the bullet and drain it and start over fresh.

Buy a good pool vacuum and set the filter pump to run 6-8 hours a day depending on how big the pool is. Set the pump to run outside the hours of 4PM-9PM so you don't get screwed on the higher electric rate during those hours.

If it hasn't been done recently or if you aren't sure, go through the diatomaceous earth filters. Clean them out and put new diatomaceous earth in them. Get new filters in if the old ones have any holes. This will be a major help in clarifying the water and getting the algae out. Also make sure the strainer for the skimmer(s) are clean and in good shape. Some pools have more than one skimmer, so be sure to check all that exist.

If there are pine needles or other organic material dropping into the pool, get a pre filter that goes on the line that the pool vacuum connects to. As mentioned by someone else, the organic material gets into the filters and decomposes. You don't want that and the pre filter allows you to get that stuff out before it hits the real filters.

I got this one and it was one of the best tools for the pool I bought:

As mentioned, it's not rocket science and you won't learn it overnight, but once you get it figured out, it's pretty easy. I do mine on my own and it's never green or cloudy.

DaBank

Reaction score
I would assume the pool vacuum cleans off the algae on the pool but does not suck up the needles that are on the bottom of the pool?
I have been using the net to get the needles off the bottom of the pool and what is floating. But as off yesterday I can not see the bottom of the deep in and I was not able to get those needles.

The pool was fine till maybe 3 weeks ago and started to turn green.
Would the shock I poured into make it worst?

The fliter system I have not checked or cleaned, I do clean out the skimmer and the neighbor does also.
The attached picture shows the original heater still in place and the filter and plumbing that does to a solar heater that has been removed.
Under the brick with wood cover is a single pump that looks maybe 20 years old. A week before she died the pool man replaced seals on the pump and put in a new skimmer basket.
Like I said the pool was maintained till December 1st and that is when the pool guy took the vacuum and any chemicals and cleaning tools for the pool.
Since then I bought a pole, net, brush and 6 gallons of pool shock. Thought maybe I would need to clean the needles and brush the pool until we got a new pool guy in the next couple of weeks. Now it has been all of December and most of January and no pool man and now the pool is green. I am sure when the vacuum was hooked up and running 4 hours a day was fine but now without the vacuum 4 hours a day running is not enough and I did not realize that till yesterday and changed the pump to run 8 hours.

Attachments

• 20230119_144705.jpg
    20230119_144705.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
  • 20230119_144711.jpg
    20230119_144711.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • 20230126_150457.jpg
    20230126_150457.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
  • 20230119_094904.jpg
    20230119_094904.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20230127-114433_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230127-114433_Gallery.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 57

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
if it’s old equipment, Is it a sand filter, have you backwashed it or cleaned the filter media whatever style it is? If you’ve been circulating all that green water it’s a must id think

Are you cleaning the skimmer that grabs floating leaves and debris and or a pre filter at the pump. If the skimmer is clogged and or constantly full it will suck air and could be your source of bubbles. If your pre filter is full it could suck air at the lid too.

You should take a pic of the equipment, lots of pool owners here, you might be missing some basic steps.

Last edited:

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I would assume the pool vacuum cleans off the algae on the pool but does not suck up the needles that are on the bottom of the pool?
I have been using the net to get the needles off the bottom of the pool and what is floating. But as off yesterday I can not see the bottom of the deep in and I was not able to get those needles.

The pool was fine till maybe 3 weeks ago and started to turn green.
Would the shock I poured into make it worst?

The fliter system I have not checked or cleaned, I do clean out the skimmer and the neighbor does also.
The attached picture shows the original heater still in place and the filter and plumbing that does to a solar heater that has been removed.
Under the brick with wood cover is a single pump that looks maybe 20 years old. A week before she died the pool man replaced seals on the pump and put in a new skimmer basket.
Like I said the pool was maintained till December 1st and that is when the pool guy took the vacuum and any chemicals and cleaning tools for the pool.
Since then I bought a pole, net, brush and 6 gallons of pool shock. Thought maybe I would need to clean the needles and brush the pool until we got a new pool guy in the next couple of weeks. Now it has been all of December and most of January and no pool man and now the pool is green. I am sure when the vacuum was hooked up and running 4 hours a day was fine but now without the vacuum 4 hours a day running is not enough and I did not realize that till yesterday and changed the pump to run 8 hours.
A good pool vacuum will get the pine needles also, but get that pre filter I mentioned so you capture the needles before they get to the actual filter.

The shock you put in wouldn't make things worse, but the chemical balance is probably way off, which won't help with the water clarity. Also the large amount of rain we've had recently probably diluted the shock you put in to a pretty good extent.

This is going to be a bit more involved than putting shock in, skimming the pine needles out, and cleaning the skimmer. Kind of sounds like you might need to go through the system as a whole and tune a few things up.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
This is what I did too the pool above

1.6 bottles of chlorine

2. a bottle of swimtrine plus Algea killer run the system as much as possible

3.check your phosphates and conditioner levels

4. Filter clean

Repeat this process until you have clear water

DaBank

Reaction score
if it’s old equipment, Is it a sand filter, have you backwashed it or cleaned the filter media whatever style it is? If you’ve been circulating all that green water it’s a must d think

Are you cleaning the skimmer that grabs floating leaves and debris and or a pre filter at the pump. If the skimmer is clogged and or constantly full it will suck air and could be your source of bubbles. If your pre filter is full it could suck air at the lid too.

You should take a pic of the equipment, lots of pool owners here, you might be missing some basic steps.
I will take detailed pictures of the equipment next week, the only pictures I have are above that have equipment in the background.
I am cleaning the skimmer basket that is attached to the side of the pool that has the plastic round lid and that the hose for the old vacuum plugged into.
When looking at the pump I did not see a filter near it but I dont know what to look for. The pump has a clear top on it and cant see the water running through it.
The there is the big stainless steel filter next to the heater.
That filter has a pressure gauge/release on the top of it and the gauge is broken.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I will take detailed pictures of the equipment next week, the only pictures I have are above that have equipment in the background.
I am cleaning the skimmer basket that is attached to the side of the pool that has the plastic round lid and that the hose for the old vacuum plugged into.
When looking at the pump I did not see a filter near it but I dont know what to look for. The pump has a clear top on it and cant see the water running through it.
The there is the big stainless steel filter next to the heater.
That filter has a pressure gauge/release on the top of it and the gauge is broken.
The filter that has the pressure gauge release on top is the one you want to clean

DaBank

Reaction score
This is what I did too the pool above

1.6 bottles of chlorine

2. a bottle of swimtrine plus Algea killer run the system as much as possible

3.check your phosphates and conditioner levels

4. Filter clean

Repeat this process until you have clear water
Is this something I can do once a week or needs to monitor daily? I live 2 hours away.
When you say clean the filter I assume that is the large stainless piece of equipment.
Is there a filter in there I can remove and squirt out or have to install new filters?

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Is this something I can do once a week or needs to monitor daily? I live 2 hours away.
When you say clean the filter I assume that is the large stainless piece of equipment.
Is there a filter in there I can remove and squirt out or have to install new filters?
Post a picture of the equipment and I will walk you through how to do the filter

You can do all those steps once a week but by the time you buy all all this stuff and drive out there it would just be cheaper to pay someone to make it right if I lived closer I would charge you around 300 bucks for everything

DaBank

Reaction score
The filter that has the pressure gauge release on top is the one you want to clean
Ok.
Can that gauge be sucking air and causing the air bubbles?

The pool pump is located on the concrete around the pool and concrete in the pass has been saw cut and a new piping for the discharge. The total distance from the pump to the pool is about five feet. The first 2 feet of pipe out of the pump is exposed and the next 3 feet is under the concrete. Would the air leak (bubbles) be a result of a leak be caused from the pump to the pool (5ft) or can it be caused before the pump?
The concrete from the skimmer/side of pool (8ft) has been saw cut and piping and skimmer been replaced in the past.

So does the skimmer plumbing go from pool to filter to heater back into the pool?

The only things I see in the pool is the hole at bottom of the deep in, the skimmer on the side of the deep in and the hole that pumps the water (with air bubbles) in the shallow in next to the steps.
The house was built in 1949 and the pool was built in the 1950's/1960's.
The pump is 3' away from the pool and the heater and filter are 3' from the pump and the skimmer is 8' from the pump and the pump outlet into pool is 3' from the pump.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score

The clear top part, does it have a handle, if so, it probably unscrews or unclips and that’s the pre filter. Works just like the skimmer basket, but catches stuff that gets in through the main drain in the deep end.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Ok.
Can that gauge be sucking air and causing the air bubbles?
That’s a water pressure gauge, it would squirt water or leak water not suck air when pumping. Sucking air occurs before the water is pressurized by the pump.

DaBank

Reaction score
The clear top part, does it have a handle, if so, it probably unscrews or unclips and that’s the pre filter. Works just like the skimmer basket, but catches stuff that gets in through the main drain in the deep end.
I forgot that the main drain in the bottom of the deep end has a brick paver covering part of it.
The neighbor told me the pool man put it on there like 10 years ago because of safety? Not sure why it is there but like I said the pool has always had weakly service in the summer and biweekly in the winter and has always looked nice and clear.
My aunt was on a fixed income and I am sure the pool man did the cheapest repairs just to keep the pool going. She would only look at the pool from the house so she would have had no ideal what he was doing.

DaBank

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good automatic pool cleaner for this size pool?
I am looking online and they have ones for suction side and pressure side. The old one connected into the skimmer so would I need a suction side pool cleaner?
The house is going to be sold hopefully it will be able to be listed in May so whatever I buy is staying with the house so I would like to find a decent one and not the top of the line if this was going to be for me.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My aunt in Lakewood California past away a few months ago and the pool service she had stop showing up 2 months ago and I can not find anyone down there that is available for monthly service.
I live 2 hours away and go check on the house every 2 weeks. The pool is now green. Last week bought a brush and clean off all the algae and put 4 gallons of pool shock in it. Every two weeks I clean out the pine needles with a net ( has a large pine tree in backyard that drops lots of needles).
Two weeks ago it was turning green and I figured the brushing and the shock would start clearing it up but I went yesterday and it was worst.
We I did the shock I turned the pool pump on and had the neighbor leave it on for 24 hours.
I checked yesterday and the timer was set for 4 hours a day and I changed it two 8 hours a day and I added 2 more gallons of shock and told the neighbor to let it run 24 hours again.
So for 2 months I have not added any chemicals beside the shock since I figured we would have found a pool guy.
Her pool guy took the automatic vacuum and all supplies and said they were his and that just does not sound right but there nothing I could do or prove they were my aunt's.
My question is what can I do to keep this pool clean ( no one will be swimming in it) while the house is in probate?
I assume i need to buy a vacuum and what chemicals are needed to keep the water clear?
This pool was made in the 1960's and no one has been swimming in it for 15 years. It has always had a pool man weekly and biweekly and kept clean.
The pool equipment is ancient and has been patch repaired do to cost having a older woman on a fix income.
When the pump turns on there is a burst of water that comes out in the pool and then the pressure lowers and the entire time it runs there are little bubbles and the neighbor told me that means there is a air leak somewhere.
Frank
Biggest thing is keeping enough chlorine in the pool (always, weekly) and keeping the PH between 7.4 - 7.8.

How much chlorine you need (FC - Free Chlorine) depends on the conditioner level (CYA). More conditioner = you need to maintain a higher level of chlorine for it to be effective.

Since you aren't close by, you honestly just need a pool man weekly to clean it out and keep chlorine in it and the PH in range.
A robot / cleaner will have to be cleaned out once a week or more if you have heavy pine needles. And that doesn't address the need for constant maintanance of chlorine and PH.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Frank

Sorry for the confusion...

Sending you a PM right now.

DaBank

Reaction score
Biggest thing is keeping enough chlorine in the pool (always, weekly) and keeping the PH between 7.4 - 7.8.

How much chlorine you need (FC - Free Chlorine) depends on the conditioner level (CYA). More conditioner = you need to maintain a higher level of chlorine for it to be effective.

Since you aren't close by, you honestly just need a pool man weekly to clean it out and keep chlorine in it and the PH in range.
A robot / cleaner will have to be cleaned out once a week or more if you have heavy pine needles. And that doesn't address the need for constant maintanance of chlorine and PH.
I need to find a pool man that will show up.
I just need to get this pool to the point that it is clearing up and not getting worst until I get a pool man. I know this pool will need repairs in order to get the house sold but that is going to be awhile.
The Estate I am handling at my own expense at this time and can not wait any longer for approvals and this pool turns into a swamp. I can not believe how bad it got since the beginning of the year, a few weeks ago with all the rain is when it started to turn green.
Next week when I go there I will put chlorine in it clean/replace filter and check all the union o-rings and the pump O-ring and see if that stops the little air leak.
I would also like to have a new automatic vacuum to put in it.
I am thinking that main drain is not working or is blocked off by the paver. So that means it only has the skimmer circulating the water and the one return line. Wouldn't the vacuum help circulate the deep end? The deep in is worst than the shallow end as of yesterday and the water pressure coming out of the return does not seem strong, but I am sure the air leak is not helping.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Call this guy 909-240-6622 Jesus Hernandez he should be at my home at 4 tell him steve recommended him

2Driver

Reaction score
If the filter is clean and works all you need to do is dump 5-6 gallons of liquid chlorine in the pool. Don’t use shock or algacide or phosphate stuff. Pool places love to take you money on this crap. If the pool is large maybe 8 gallons. Once it’s clear put a tab floater in the pool ( should last 10 days) and dump 2 gallons of chlorine in when you go by the house

Go get the water tested at a pool place or use the test strips. Pay attention to the CYA level ( cynuric acid) that is the stabilzer put in chorine tabs and shock that retards and reduces the effect of chlorine. It’s there so the chlorine doesn’t burn off too fast in sunlight. The problem is it builds up over time so it greatly reduces the ability for chlorine to do its job. Pool place won’t tell you this, they will tell you your chlorine is high and try to sell you other shit. There are charts that show how much more chlorine you need if the cya level is high from too many years of using chorine with cya - tabs. In some cases if cya is accumulated you need to double the chlorine just to be at par for effectiveness. The only way to get cya back down is drain the pool 3/4 the way down and refill.

IMO Hands down the best auto cleaner is Hayward Aqunaut. Put an inline leaf basket on it with a ladies knee high hosiery over the basket to keep small stuff from getting to the filter.

Troublefreepool.com is a a great resource

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I didn’t read all the responses however the most economical method for you is fill a water bottle of two with pool water go to the Leslie’s closest to your location they will test water and provide a solution for you. Probably need to break all the filtration down and start fresh in case algae is in there it will continue to feed and grow.

Phosphate killer like perfect weekly and others should assist on killing the organic matter but you may be lacking conditioner and other items to maintain the chlorine levels.

Any pool store should test your water for free and help you heft it dialed in.

They will wanna know width length and depths to determine how many gallons your dealing with.

Good luck and post clean up pics.

badgas

Reaction score
Frank
I have great pool guy who lives in Lakewood I can send you his info

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Drain it, 15 years with the same water in not helping, acid wash if needed, clean the filter, refill. Have a poolman get the chemicals dialed.

Rent a pump at rental yard. They all have them.

DaBank

Reaction score
I didn’t read all the responses however the most economical method for you is fill a water bottle of two with pool water go to the Leslie’s closest to your location they will test water and provide a solution for you. Probably need to break all the filtration down and start fresh in case algae is in there it will continue to feed and grow.

Phosphate killer like perfect weekly and others should assist on killing the organic matter but you may be lacking conditioner and other items to maintain the chlorine levels.

Any pool store should test your water for free and help you heft it dialed in.

They will wanna know width length and depths to determine how many gallons your dealing with.

Good luck and post clean up pics.
Thank you very much. I will do this on Thursday.

DaBank

Reaction score
Drain it, 15 years with the same water in not helping, acid wash if needed, clean the filter, refill. Have a poolman get the chemicals dialed.

Rent a pump at rental yard. They all have them.
I do not know when the last time it was drained. I do know that the pool surface has some damaged spot in the plaster that look like 6" long by 2" wide and probably 1/8" deep has flaked off.
This pool will require repairs before it is listed for sale. The problem is probate will probably be 3 to 6 more months before it can be sold, so at this point I just want to get it to a safe level and keep it clear until repairs are made that would require it to be drained.
I have always been told that it is not safe to keep a pool drained and it could cause more issues?

Javajoe

Reaction score
Go to the nearest pool supply store or call them. They will have pool guy contacts. I seriously doubt you have time or will be able to fix that pool and keep it right since you live so far away

DaBank

Reaction score
Yesterday I went and inspected the pool equipment. The filters were filled/covered with algae and I assume Diatomaceous Earth. The pressure gauge is broken and the bottom drain on filter housing wont open so had to clean out the tank and scoop it out by hand.
I cleaned all the filters and put them back in.
I ran out of time was had to head home so I did not install new Diatomaceous Earth. I am going to go back on Tuesday and take water sample in and buy/install new pressure gauge, valve release and Diatomaceous Earth. How do I know if these filters are still good? Should I just use these till I get the pool back clear and then install in filters?

Attachments

• 20230202_151552.jpg
    20230202_151552.jpg
    1,010.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230202_151334.jpg
    20230202_151334.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 20230202_172105.jpg
    20230202_172105.jpg
    759.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230202_151004.jpg
    20230202_151004.jpg
    831.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230202_164641.jpg
    20230202_164641.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
  • 20230202_172027.jpg
    20230202_172027.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230202_172122.jpg
    20230202_172122.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 54

DaBank

Reaction score
I inspected the pool pump equipment and plumbing and found the check vavle and also the pump strainer had alot of debris in them.
The clear site on the check vavle and on the pump did not have any air bubbles before or after cleaning them but I still have a tiny amount of air bubbles coming into the pool.

The main drain in the deep end has been capped off so I assume there is a problem.
The pump itself is 3/4 HP is that large enough? The neighbor said it was installed 15 plus years ago.
The pool was plumbed for two discharges into the pool about 3' deep, one next to the stairs in the shallow end and the other about 3' over towards the deep end. As of now the only one discharge is hook up next to the stairs, not sure if there was a problem or when new pump was installed they went for a cheaper install?

Attachments

• 20230202_171928.jpg
    20230202_171928.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230202_172000.jpg
    20230202_172000.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230202_171958.jpg
    20230202_171958.jpg
    784.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230202_171951.jpg
    20230202_171951.jpg
    787.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230202_171947.jpg
    20230202_171947.jpg
    608 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230202_171941.jpg
    20230202_171941.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230202_171933.jpg
    20230202_171933.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 32

DaBank

Reaction score
So after looking over everything and cleaning filters, filter housing and strainers and the skimmer I have probably two times the pressure going into the pool and now I can actually feel suction coming from the blue piping in the skimmer.
Before when the pump was running the flap in the check vavle would barely open and now it is probably open 30%.
Last night in the dark with the pool running you can see the water/debris slowly circulating but barely pulling anything into the skimmer unless it was touching the tile.
So at least something is happening now. I believe the automatic vacuum was the only thing circulating this pool and it has been gone for two months.
I also added 2 gallons of shock last night and bought chlorine tablets and but them in 3 chlorine floaters that were in the pool for now so at least there is sometime of chemicals in it till next week.

Attachments

• 20230202_172008.jpg
    20230202_172008.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230202_172004.jpg
    20230202_172004.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230202_172014.jpg
    20230202_172014.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 26

X Hoser

Reaction score
Yesterday I went and inspected the pool equipment. The filters were filled/covered with algae and I assume Diatomaceous Earth. The pressure gauge is broken and the bottom drain on filter housing wont open so had to clean out the tank and scoop it out by hand.
I cleaned all the filters and put them back in.
I ran out of time was had to head home so I did not install new Diatomaceous Earth. I am going to go back on Tuesday and take water sample in and buy/install new pressure gauge, valve release and Diatomaceous Earth. How do I know if these filters are still good? Should I just use these till I get the pool back clear and then install in filters?
I went through this same scenario a few years ago. Same filter. The filters are fine as long as the plastic is not cracked and there are no holes in the fabric. They aren’t doing anything without DE. To get your pool back to “normal” it will take numerous brushings and filter cleanings.

I think if I was faced with this problem again, and the current state the water situation is in, I would seriously consider filling it in with dirt and creating another use for the space. Especially with your comments about the condition and age of the equipment and possibly selling the house. If the plaster is over 10-15 years old or older you may be looking at a re-plaster too. Just food for thought.

DaBank

Reaction score
I went through this same scenario a few years ago. Same filter. The filters are fine as long as the plastic is not cracked and there are no holes in the fabric. They aren’t doing anything without DE. To get your pool back to “normal” it will take numerous brushings and filter cleanings.

I think if I was faced with this problem again, and the current state the water situation is in, I would seriously consider filling it in with dirt and creating another use for the space. Especially with your comments about the condition and age of the equipment and possibly selling the house. If the plaster is over 10-15 years old or older you may be looking at a re-plaster too. Just food for thought.
I figured the DE is needed but once everything yesterday was figured out store were closed but I am not sure how to do the DE. So at this point it has to wait till next week. Hopefully it wont be worst for the pool with the filters cleaned out vs how they were, not sure they were doing anything anyways?
I did a quick search on DE and prefilled at skimmer and check to make sure it is not be pumped into the pool and verifying pressure at the tank that would require a new gauge installed.
I know once everything is working the filters will need to be cleaned weakly to get water clear. Do I remove the filters and clean them and drain the take each time? If so I need to install a new valve to drain it
I just read the valve is a back flush valve and that they seize up and cost time wise it is better to replace the entire unit? .

Last edited:

X Hoser

Reaction score
I had to run my pump/flter 24 hours straight after brushing the entire pool. Then drain the tank and clean the filters, put back together and recharge with DE. If the backwash/drain valve is frozen, I’d leave it alone. If you can’t close it all of the way afterwards, the pool will loose water every time the pump is on. I did change my filter out atsthe valve would not close all of the way. Same unit. I went with a Pentair Quad 4 filter. No more DE, just the filters. I installed it myself as it was almost a direct replacement. If I remember correctly the new filter was about $2000? I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the property? Keep? Sell and disclose? This is a task that is more difficult for you're not living there. Good Luck

X Hoser

Reaction score
Looking at the picture of your tank it is quite different from mine, but, the same principal. The Quad4 would probably work but some revisions to the plumbing would need to take place. It’s just PVC so not too dfficult. Might have to go to a plumbing store as if it is 1 1/2" or 2”. Home Depot or Lowes don’t always carry it.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I figured the DE is needed but once everything yesterday was figured out store were closed but I am not sure how to do the DE. So at this point it has to wait till next week. Hopefully it wont be worst for the pool with the filters cleaned out vs how they were, not sure they were doing anything anyways?
I did a quick search on DE and prefilled at skimmer and check to make sure it is not be pumped into the pool and verifying pressure at the tank that would require a new gauge installed.
I know once everything is working the filters will need to be cleaned weakly to get water clear. Do I remove the filters and clean them and drain the take each time? If so I need to install a new valve to drain it
I just read the valve is a back flush valve and that they seize up and cost time wise it is better to replace the entire unit? .
Your pressure will build up much more quickly with no DE added. also with what you are trying to accomplish right now you might be able to get away with leaving the filters in and just giving them a good hose down/rinse for the next few change outs. then remove them after the pool is clean and do a proper clean and DE add.

Looks like you should be using about 6 scoops of DE with that filter I would also mix each scoop or two with water and dissolve it before pouring in you skimmer. Helps with less clumping.

JMHO

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Note with out DE the filter will be clogged with in 24 hours. You have to clean and start over, if you don’t have DE do not turn pump on, or know the filter will need to be cleaned again days later until you get de added.
The backwash not working is not a problem, most people don’t rely on backwashing anyway, more so used frequent on commercial.
pump size 3/4 hp for a pool only is perfectly fine.

if skimmer suction isn’t good you can dilute de in a bucket and pour it into tank before putting lid back on.

most common air bubbles in return lines are from automatic cleaner hoses sucking air, pump lid oring, and nipple in front of pump and or valves in front of pump orings.

orrrr old plumbing

You have old brass gate valves and copper plumbing tied to adapter’s to convert to pvc above ground, the copper is a ticking time bomb requiring complete replumb and likely leaking. Limp that sucker til house sells. actual fix will be a complete remodel and will add up quick, if house is all orig likely re doing the pool isn’t going to be cost effective to raise the resell value of home.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Frank
Drain it! Don’t refill it. Easier to take care of.

DaBank

Reaction score
Note with out DE the filter will be clogged with in 24 hours. You have to clean and start over, if you don’t have DE do not turn pump on, or know the filter will need to be cleaned again days later until you get de added.
The backwash not working is not a problem, most people don’t rely on backwashing anyway, more so used frequent on commercial.
pump size 3/4 hp for a pool only is perfectly fine.

if skimmer suction isn’t good you can dilute de in a bucket and pour it into tank before putting lid back on.

most common air bubbles in return lines are from automatic cleaner hoses sucking air, pump lid oring, and nipple in front of pump and or valves in front of pump orings.

orrrr old plumbing

You have old brass gate valves and copper plumbing tied to adapter’s to convert to pvc above ground, the copper is a ticking time bomb requiring complete replumb and likely leaking. Limp that sucker til house sells. actual fix will be a complete remodel and will add up quick, if house is all orig likely re doing the pool isn’t going to be cost effective to raise the resell value of home.
The skimmer and discharge to the pool have be redone to pvc around 15 years ago I was told by the neighbor. I can see where the cement was saw cut.
The plumbing from the pump to the heater and filter looks to be copper still but it only runs under cement for 2 feet and then 3 feet in the dirt, so that would not be to hard to replace.
The old brass gate valve is not connected to anything at the pump area and there is a brick paver sitting on top of the main drain in the deep end? I was told by the neighbor that he was told years ago it was put there for safety?
Since November the pool has not needed water added but there has been a lot of rain but if the pool is leaking it is not drastic.

The heater is original and I am sure it does not work and at some point a solar heating system was installed on the roof but the panels were removed years ago. All the plumbing for it is still installed.
I was thinking about removing all the solar and the gas heater and throwing it all away because if it is not there then a home buyer would be able to ask for it to be repaired?
I dont understand why when the pool was originally built they put the pump equipment in the middle of walkway and not 3 feet over next to the filter and the heater. The pool builder was Anthony's Pool's according to the plaque on the steps. The house was built in 1949 and not exactly sure when the pool was built but I believe in the 50's, anyone familiar with Anthony's Pool's and when they made pool's?
Thanks,
Frank

Attachments

• 20230119_144647.jpg
    20230119_144647.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • 20230119_144705.jpg
    20230119_144705.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • 20230119_144748.jpg
    20230119_144748.jpg
    939.4 KB · Views: 37