WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool maintenance advice.

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
If I was selling I’d tell my realtor to write in big letters

As is, no warranty, no repairs based on inspection, summer ready, I know what I’ve got.😁

I never had a DE filter, no advice on cleanup, I wish I knew but I think a local pool guy to keep it going til selling is best bet or you’ll possibly be fighting it all the way. Only good news is it’s not summer yet, my pool is easy all fall, winter and spring when the water is cool until it warms up I hardly use any chemicals (Dallas, TX)

I bet the stepping stone over the deep end main drain is either there to hold the little plastic debris cover in place because it’s broken away from the screw mounts or because the debris cover is gone altogether and it’s there to keep swimmers away from the suction. Pools aren’t flat at the main drain and water can still circulate past the stone assuming the suction line isn’t capped off.

My older pool is similar in design and I couldn’t imagine trying to keep it clean without the main drain suction, only relying on a skimmer for suction seems impossible unless it always runs 24/7, even then it’s a daunting task that would require almost daily attention. I think I figured my pump costs about 3$/day to run 24/7 about 5 years ago and maybe 4$/day is a fair guess for me to let the pump run at current rates.

Last edited:

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Drain it and sell it as is. The pool is past its useful life. I would just fill it in and remove every trace of it. Maybe consult with a realtor in the area to see what they recommend.

DaBank

Reaction score
If I was selling I’d tell my realtor to write in big letters

As is, no warranty, no repairs based on inspection, summer ready, I know what I’ve got.😁

I never had a DE filter, no advice on cleanup, I wish I knew but I think a local pool guy to keep it going til selling is best bet or you’ll possibly be fighting it all the way. Only good news is it’s not summer yet, my pool is easy all fall, winter and spring when the water is cool until it warms up I hardly use any chemicals (Dallas, TX)

I bet the stepping stone over the deep end main drain is either there to hold the little plastic debris cover in place because it’s broken away from the screw mounts or because the debris cover is gone altogether and it’s there to keep swimmers away from the suction. Pools aren’t flat at the main drain and water can still circulate past the stone assuming the suction line isn’t capped off.

My older pool is similar in design and I couldn’t imagine trying to keep it clean without the main drain suction, only relying on a skimmer for suction seems impossible unless it always runs 24/7, even then it’s a daunting task that would require almost daily attention. I think I figured my pump costs about 3$/day to run 24/7 about 5 years ago and maybe 4$/day is a fair guess for me to let the pump run at current rates.
The main drain is capped at the pump. The main drain in the deep end is not flat so the paver does not cover it completely.
If the pool is leaking from the main drain and is capped at the pump the pipe under the pool would still be leaking? The pool has 2 discharge and only one is hooked up and the other one capped at the pump so if the pipe is leaking it would still be leaking?
I believe when they installed the new pump 15-20 years ago everything was copper and they just did the cheapest install to make the pool work since my aunt was on a fix income.

In the picture the red circle is the main drain and the green circle is the discharge into the pool that is hooked up and the blue circle is the discharge that is capped off.

Attachments

• 20230206_111138.jpg
    20230206_111138.jpg
    680.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Markus

Reaction score
If the filter is clean and works all you need to do is dump 5-6 gallons of liquid chlorine in the pool. Don’t use shock or algacide or phosphate stuff. Pool places love to take you money on this crap. If the pool is large maybe 8 gallons. Once it’s clear put a tab floater in the pool ( should last 10 days) and dump 2 gallons of chlorine in when you go by the house

Go get the water tested at a pool place or use the test strips. Pay attention to the CYA level ( cynuric acid) that is the stabilzer put in chorine tabs and shock that retards and reduces the effect of chlorine. It’s there so the chlorine doesn’t burn off too fast in sunlight. The problem is it builds up over time so it greatly reduces the ability for chlorine to do its job. Pool place won’t tell you this, they will tell you your chlorine is high and try to sell you other shit. There are charts that show how much more chlorine you need if the cya level is high from too many years of using chorine with cya - tabs. In some cases if cya is accumulated you need to double the chlorine just to be at par for effectiveness. The only way to get cya back down is drain the pool 3/4 the way down and refill.

My brother had exactly this problem. Previous owner used a pool guy who did not know what he was doing.

We filled the trunk with bottles of the cheapest chlorine from Walmart. Well-known Mexican brand. Dumped a couple every day in the pool while monitoring the chlorine level. Solved the problem.

Now, he has switched to salt-based chlorination. Much better.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
The skimmer and discharge to the pool have be redone to pvc around 15 years ago I was told by the neighbor. I can see where the cement was saw cut.
The plumbing from the pump to the heater and filter looks to be copper still but it only runs under cement for 2 feet and then 3 feet in the dirt, so that would not be to hard to replace.
The old brass gate valve is not connected to anything at the pump area and there is a brick paver sitting on top of the main drain in the deep end? I was told by the neighbor that he was told years ago it was put there for safety?
Since November the pool has not needed water added but there has been a lot of rain but if the pool is leaking it is not drastic.

The heater is original and I am sure it does not work and at some point a solar heating system was installed on the roof but the panels were removed years ago. All the plumbing for it is still installed.
I was thinking about removing all the solar and the gas heater and throwing it all away because if it is not there then a home buyer would be able to ask for it to be repaired?
I dont understand why when the pool was originally built they put the pump equipment in the middle of walkway and not 3 feet over next to the filter and the heater. The pool builder was Anthony's Pool's according to the plaque on the steps. The house was built in 1949 and not exactly sure when the pool was built but I believe in the 50's, anyone familiar with Anthony's Pool's and when they made pool's?
Thanks,
Frank
Ya I worked for Anthony pools, lol. For many many years they were THE largest builder on the west coast, some years largest builder in the country
I was a sub, plumbing new pools, equipment, repairs, start ups etc for them

It likely had a deck filter originally, big man hole size lid. basically the skimmer and filter were one and the pump pulled water thru the grids and circulated to pump and back to pool. With circular or rectangle grids inside. There was deck filters and coffin filters both were in deck where skimmer once was. The pump was only thing above ground, the block was typically built over it with wood cap as a bench. So you wouldn’t see any equipment in backyard. Above pool light is likely a brass deck j box ( also no longer code ). Probably anchors where a big ass diving board used to be about 3 feet behind the deck box. Copper plumbing was the norm, and yes if someone did a budget repair with single pipe suction and return. It’s still just a bandaid. Can it “function” as is. probably

edit ; just re looked at pics yep diving board still there. Note don’t break it, you won’t find anyone with a license willing to fix, lol

Last edited:

X Hoser

Reaction score
Drain it and sell it as is. The pool is past its useful life. I would just fill it in and remove every trace of it. Maybe consult with a realtor in the area to see what they recommend.

I Agree, too expensive to try sand save. If you want a pool, better to pull everything out and completely re-do, plaster and all. Otherwise advertise it as having it’s own private skate board park!

DaBank

Reaction score
Ya I worked for Anthony pools, lol. For many many years they were THE largest builder on the west coast, some years largest builder in the country

It likely had a deck filter originally, big man hole size lid. basically the skimmer and filter were one and the pump pulled water thru the grids and circulated to pump and back to pool. With circular or rectangle grids inside. There was deck filters and coffin filters both were in deck where skimmer once was. The pump was only thing above ground, the block was typically built over it with wood cap as a bench. So you wouldn’t see any equipment in backyard. Above pool light is likely a brass deck j box ( also no longer code ). Probably anchors where a big ass diving board used to be about 3 feet behind the deck box. Copper plumbing was the norm, and yes if someone did a budget repair with single pipe suction and return. It’s still just a bandaid. Can it “function” as is. probably

edit ; just re looked at pics yep diving board still there. Note don’t break it, you won’t find anyone with a license willing to fix, lol
I do not see anywhere a man hole size lid was. I do believe there is a 6" round metal cover near the diving board. It still has a slide also.
The pool plaque says Anthony and so does the heater.
The cement was cut and patched going from the pump/brick bench to the skimmer and I was told that the skimmer was replaced 15 plus years ago, the skimmer does not have a flap/door on it.
All the rest of the cement around the pool looks to be original. The heater looks original also and is in the flowerbed against the garage and the gas line is coming out of the cement so I think the heater has always been there?
Do you think it would be worth a chance to hook up the main drain and the 2nd discharge and see if they work? I keep thinking they left them disconnected to save money and time when putting in the new pump. Since they are only capped at the pump I would assume the pipes were not leaking underground because this would not stop a leak. So at this point if they were hooked back up the pool would circulate like it originally designed?
Would the 3/4 hp pump still be enough once everything was hook back up?
Thanks again,
Frank

Attachments

• 20230119_144635.jpg
    20230119_144635.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20230119_144650.jpg
    20230119_144650.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230119_144658.jpg
    20230119_144658.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 20230119_144743.jpg
    20230119_144743.jpg
    712.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20230126_150526.jpg
    20230126_150526.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 20230126_150457.jpg
    20230126_150457.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I do not see anywhere a man hole size lid was. I do believe there is a 6" round metal cover near the diving board. It still has a slide also.
The pool plaque says Anthony and so does the heater.
The cement was cut and patched going from the pump/brick bench to the skimmer and I was told that the skimmer was replaced 15 plus years ago, the skimmer does not have a flap/door on it.
All the rest of the cement around the pool looks to be original. The heater looks original also and is in the flowerbed against the garage and the gas line is coming out of the cement so I think the heater has always been there?
Do you think it would be worth a chance to hook up the main drain and the 2nd discharge and see if they work? I keep thinking they left them disconnected to save money and time when putting in the new pump. Since they are only capped at the pump I would assume the pipes were not leaking underground because this would not stop a leak. So at this point if they were hooked back up the pool would circulate like it originally designed?
Would the 3/4 hp pump still be enough once everything was hook back up?
Thanks again,
Frank
The main drain is likely plugged or filled in. It’s old copper pipe.
There is zero reason to connect it. the pump circulates at max 90gpm range. Adding more suction pipes doesn’t increase circulation. the main drain being capped has zero to do with the pool being a swamp

the heater is mid to late 60s, the filter is still currently made.

Basically clean the filter, add de, and add chems weekly to maintain the pool.

If your looking for advise to “fix it” there is non, it’s major remodel or fill it in time. It needs plumbing, equipment, new gas main, new electrical main, lights, main drains, new deck, coping, tile, plaster. Idea of costs 50k range +

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
The main drain is likely plugged or filled in. It’s old copper pipe.
There is zero reason to connect it. the pump circulates at max 90gpm range. Adding more suction pipes doesn’t increase circulation. the main drain being capped has zero to do with the pool being a swamp

the heater is mid to late 60s, the filter is still currently made.

Basically clean the filter, add de, and add chems weekly to maintain the pool.

If your looking for advise to “fix it” there is non, it’s major remodel or fill it in time. It needs plumbing, equipment, new gas main, new electrical main, lights, main drains, new deck, coping, tile, plaster. Idea of costs 50k range +
Would a new multi speed pump help him at all in this situation

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Would a new multi speed pump help him at all in this situation
Lol, no
well I guess he could save 8.00-10.00 bucks a month on elect bill , lol
currently 3/4hp pump only pulls like 6amps, a variable speed to circulate on low will be 5-6amps, unless it’s set really low and ran 24 hours but saving will be about the same

put it this way, it’s like picking up a car from an auction that has 500k + miles, rust and holes everywhere, paint falling off, bald tires, bad drum brakes, interior is milk crates and fast food bags, and asking if you think a flow master muffler will improve the car? Lmao
The real question is will it get you home, only the driver will find out. But I’d suggest wearing comfortable shoes before attempting. 😂🤣

As I said, if home will eventually be sold. Then clean filter and add chems to maintain pool. Or drain and start fresh water.
Any home inspection will have a huuuuuge list of issues to fix or deduct from purchase. There is no do this and this so buyer can’t deduct. Cheapest thing to do would be remove the pool. 10k range

If house is in or will be in probate, then who ever is executor hires pool man or does himself and pays himself as the pool man, and that gets paid out from estate.
since op isn’t familiar servicing pool or local to the house. Then makes most sense to find a local pool guy and pay monthly. There are literally 100s of service guys in and around Lakewood.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
Lol, no
currently 3/4hp pump only pulls like 6amps, a variable speed to circulate on low will be 5-6amps, unless it’s set really low and ran 24 hours but saving will be about the same

put it this way, it’s like picking up a car from an auction that has 500k + miles, rust and holes everywhere, paint falling off, bald tires, bad drum brakes, interior is milk crates and fast food bags, and asking if you think a flow master muffler will improve the car? Lmao
The real question is will it get you home, only the driver will find out. But I’d suggest wearing comfortable shoes before attempting. 😂🤣

As I said, if home will eventually be sold. Then clean filter and add chems to maintain pool. Or drain and start fresh water.
Any home inspection will have a huuuuuge list of issues to fix or deduct from purchase. There is no do this and this so buyer can’t deduct. Cheapest thing to do would be remove the pool. 10k range

If house is in or will be in probate, then who ever is executor hires pool man or does himself and pays himself as the pool man, and that gets paid out from estate.
since op isn’t familiar servicing pool or local to the house. Then makes most sense to find a local pool guy and pay monthly. There are literally 100s of service guys in and around Lakewood.
Well shit I just learned something lmao good thing I just dump the chemicals in the pools and don’t service the equipment 😂

DaBank

Reaction score
Lol, no

I appreciate and value your input. My aunt had a pool guy for 20 years and he quit once she died. I called 7 people guys in December and only 2 said they had space to add the pool to their service. Both never showed up and the pool turned green.
Today will be the 3rd week going down to trim/clean backyard and work on the pool and I will clean the filter's. I now have an ideal how the pool functions and just getting it to working order and still need a pool guy to come and maintain the pool.
The house will be able to be sold in April or May and just wanted to get the pool in better working condition. I understand it needs lots of work to be up to date.
Obviously you do not advise me to hook up the main drain, would it benefit hooking up the second return pipe since it is still there to help with the circulation? The skimmer has no flap should one be installed? I have seen the Vortex Skimmer baskets do they work as advertise?
The 3/4 hp pump you say is fine. The old pool guy had it on only 4 hours a day with a vacuum hooked up when he quit he took the vacuum. I now have it running 8 hours a day should I run it longer? The neighbor said the vacuum was always in the pool and ran daily. Should I buy a new one and have it running daily?
As far as the gas heater and all the old solar piping it looks like shit and not hooked up and I figured if it was removed it would clean up the curb appeal and also less item's for a homebuyer to ask to be repaired. Do you see any reason not to remove any of the heater equipment?
Again I appreciate your time and over the years have enjoyed all your pool builds and know you build quality pools.

Last edited:

DaBank

Reaction score

Yes the diving board and the slide are still there. The brass deck j box is under the diving board and the pool light still works.
I am going there today and I will look and see if I can see if I can see where the old deck filter was.
So basically when the pool was built there would have been a flush access lid for the filter system/skimmer at the deep end that ran to the brick housing that had the pump in it and had a nice wood lid used as a bench (now has a piece of plywood) and then run to the two return lines in the shallow in. Then the only visible equipment would have been the gas heater next to the garage.
Thank you

Last edited:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Yes the diving board and the slide are still there. The brass deck j box is under the diving board and the pool light still works.
I am going there today and I will look and see if I can see if I can see where the old deck filter was.
So basically when the pool was built there would have been a flush access lid for the filter system/skimmer at the deep end that ran to the brick housing that had the pump in it and had a nice wood lid used as a bench (now has a piece of plywood) and then run to the two return lines in the shallow in. Then the only visible equipment would have been the gas heater next to the garage.
Thank you
Pretty much, yes
once they did away with deck filters they continued to put filter and heater further away. Anthony built 1000s of pools a year with all locations combined. Their intent was to streamline builds. Pumps valves etc were typically left close to pool thats what was getting turned to go from pool to spa and better suction with a shorter run. That and copper plumbing skimmer main drain return boost pump cleaner lines spa auctions and returns, all added up if 20ft run it’s a stick or so per line. then put filter heater to hidden area with single pipe run. It was all for cost savings and simplicity.
If It had deck filter it would be where current skimmer is now, so there would be no evidence of it existing.
adding return line not needed
adding a cleaner wouldn’t hurt but it’s not exactly needed
winter time that pool should only need 4-6 hours round time
summer 8+ hours
service guys could be going when your not there to check it out, or googling it and zooming in and see pools a dog, and ghost you because they think your expecting a miracle. Just tell them your expectations are realistic, do what they can until house gets sold or …
when it comes to cars service peeps love old stuff easier to work on. When it comes to pools service guys hate old stuff to much work for just ok results. Newer pools can be prett much net n jet. And they charge the same. Soooo most will opt for a dialed pool versus that one.
flapper in skimmer you can add, easiest to just measure opening and just pick up a spring loaded weir from a pool store. that will help keep debris in skimmer.
venturi basket aren’t new, its actually an old design from American products that an aftermarket company is pushing like it’s a new idea. Is it better,no, does it work yes but no different then a weir door.
as far as removing solar and heater. Yes I’d remove, it will be 1 less item to fix, lol
‘Bonus theres a bunch of copper and brass in that old heater, remove it and recycle it, you’ll prolly get 100.00
or call a scrap guy and say he can have the heater if he dumps your solar crap.

The filter cleaned WITH DE in it and pump running 8 hours with chlorine in pool it should be clear water weekly. Don’t waste your time with any adding returns, main drains, automatic cleaners etc. you’re just putting time and money into a pool that needs a lot more than that. And it’s a zero return on your fixes, lose lose

DaBank

Reaction score
@Melloyellovector the pool pump went bad a couple of weeks ago and the pool turned green because I did not know for a couple of weeks.
I am going to get a new pump and filter but started draining the pool a couple days ago to get rid of the old water and start fresh.
It has about 12 spots that the plaster has came off on the edge of the steps, bottom of the shallow end and a couple on the side walls that will need to be repaired and the pool painted/coated before I refill it. Is this something you do? The pool is in Lakewood. Or do you a suggestion for a DIY repair and paint/coating?
I have been brushing and hosing off the pool as it drains but will acid wash it once it is fully drained, do I use muriatic acid?
I appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Frank

Attachments

• 20230518_184147.jpg
    20230518_184147.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230518_184152.jpg
    20230518_184152.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230518_184330.jpg
    20230518_184330.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230518_184211.jpg
    20230518_184211.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230518_184341.jpg
    20230518_184341.jpg
    950.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230518_184126.jpg
    20230518_184126.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 28

IN AWE

I'm surounded by assholes
Reaction score
This will do it, MUST have "metallic copper".

Attachments

• IMG_20230520_081635946_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20230520_081635946_BURST001.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 19

DaBank

Reaction score
This will do it, MUST have "metallic copper"

Is this product used as preventative maintenance when the pool is filled?

I am asking what I should use to clean the pool once it is drained? I was going to pressure wash it and use muriatic acid.
Also need to have someone repair the plaster spots and paint/coat the pool or a DIY solution? I have seen a Paint/coating by Semco that has good reviews?
Or if someone can suggest a pool company that does work in Lakewood California.
I am there every Thrusday working on the house .
Frank

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Is this product used as preventative maintenance when the pool is filled?

I am asking what I should use to clean the pool once it is drained? I was going to pressure wash it and use muriatic acid.
Also need to have someone repair the plaster spots and paint/coat the pool or a DIY solution? I have seen a Paint/coating by Semco that has good reviews?
Or if someone can suggest a pool company that does work in Lakewood California.
I am there every Thrusday working on the house .
Frank
Sorry been in havasu, since weds. Oddly enough RDP is the last thing I think of while at the river. Lol

That is not work we do. Painting pools is a temporary solution to a long term problem.
That plaster is original.
It’s in horrible shape.
I would not suggest acid washing or pressure washing it. Acid will break down what little plaster you have left. And every day that pool is empty more plaster is going to fall off. Along with pressure washing, you will likely blow off pieces of plaster creating more patches. That pool needs to be resurfaced.

If it’s just green.
Use liquid chlorine in a pump sprayer and a acid wash / deck scrub brush
Use a hose and rinse after.

You can call around but very few licensed guys will patch and paint.
Some pool service guys will do.

Pool plaster patch you can get from pool stores
Flat areas you can use metal trowel
Step areas you’ll need a plastic spreader, similar to bondo applicator
We usually make them out of plastic covers that come with pool light niches. But not really a thing you can just buy.

Paint you could do yourself. Just follow manufacture instructions. Just keep in mind paint is only as good as the substrate your attaching it to. You may get another year out of it. Maybe more maybe less.

Good luck