WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool Pump Lifespan

farmo83

Reaction score
What's an average lifespan for a pool pump? I bought a really cheap pump and when i moved into my house as I was strapped for cash at the time. It lasted 2.5 years. I'm doing the math on getting a Variable speed pump but have no real insight into how long one of the name brand pumps will last. Google says 10-12 years, is this realistic ?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Yes. The Whisperflo at my Moms lasted 15 and with the trees it gets worked hard.

badgas

Reaction score
I just put in a new 2 HP on Friday, not variable becasue we could not find one in time. The last one lasted over 10 years.

Pool guy said I should get 10 years out of it.

X Hoser

Reaction score
I just replaced my Pentair VS pump after 7 years I believe. Pump still worked but the screen went out. I screwed the whole thing up trying to “YouTube” fix it. Now that I have the new Pentair VS pump in I realize how poorly my old one was performing. Slow to prime and noisily. So, realistically I’d say 7-8 years? That is with the Pentair, I know nothing about the other brands. BTW, this is a large salt water pool, spa and heater if it makes any difference?

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
2 Pentair 3hp I believe coming up on 22 years. changing one to a variable soon I hope

satellitemike

Reaction score
Got about 14 years out of our original single speed, still working but could tell it was getting tired, large salt pool and ran an average of 8 hours per day.
Swapped it out to a VS and probably saves us about $40 per month

Reactions: DWC

joecfd1

Reaction score
Our first single speed Pentair pump lasted 17+ years with Havasu's finest water. We installed a new Pentair Intelliflo VSF and it's awesome. Quiet, energy efficient, and nice to be able to vary the speed for different functions.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
VS going 10 + years...... We saved at least $40 a month in electric charges..... and quiet too

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Looking online "pool supply unlimited" seems to be the price to beat. Pentair 3hp VS @1400.

anybody know of So Cal rebates going now?

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Looking online "pool supply unlimited" seems to be the price to beat. Pentair 3hp VS @1400.

Do you have a link or a part number for the pump in question? I know internet pricing is hard to beat. I'll check to see what we sell them for.
We can rebuild them as well.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Do you have a link or a part number for the pump in question? I know internet pricing is hard to beat. I'll check to see what we sell them for.
We can rebuild them as well.

Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump with Digital Time Clock | 3HP Max | EC-011028

Yldboyz

Reaction score
We're at $1,360.00 +tax / shipping, Pentair has these on back-log which is about 6-8~ weeks or so. All pump manufactures are experiencing supply chain shortages.

Pool Supply has them in stock according to their website. Right now on the shelf product is gold.

farmo83

Reaction score
I found a store that had one and would install it so we went with that. It was expensive but if it last a long time I'm fine with that.

530RL

Reaction score
I'm with 28E.

The actual pump lasts a long time. I've got 17 years on a bunch of them without a single failure.

The pool motors do not last as long.

An AO Smith/Century 1/2 HP to 2hp motor is about 225 bucks. Depending upon what it is spinning, filter versus water feature, I get about 6 to 8 years out of a new pump and about 4 to 6 years out of a rebuilt pump.

I can have them rebuilt for under a hundred bucks (typically $50 to $100 depending upon what broke) and an install kit is about 20 bucks. I have spares on the shelf in the garage and just swap them out when they take a shit and drop them off for a rebuild. Takes about ten minutes to swap a motor out.

IMG_3681.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG

rrrr

Reaction score
When a pool pump is in a roofed enclosure, it'll last many years longer.than one exposed to sun and weather. My 3 HP Intelliflo is 11 years old. I replaced the DE filter last year, it was 20 years old. The Raypak heater is also 20 years old and still.works fine.

IMG_20210520_200001967_MP.jpg

IMG_20210714_121607027_MP.jpg

C-2

Reaction score
Pumps last a long time... the motors are what fail, and are typically easy to change out.

Yup, my Pentair motor only lasted 6 years (installed 2012, burned out 2018. In 2017 the start solenoid went out/I replaced it)

Bought another remanufactured motor. While I was in there I also bought a new plate and shaft seal kit. All good now.

If you can replace an impeller on the Merc - you're good.

X Hoser

Reaction score

There was a $100 rebate form Pentair on mine a couple of weeks ago.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Note: single speed pumps are no longer being made above 1hp
All pumps above 1hp are being forced to be VS.
So it will no longer be an option if it’s worth it or not.
This is not a California only thing this is everywhere

As far as lifespan on magnetic drive motors. They can and do last as long or longer then old style pumps.
They are far more cost efficient to run.
The pump itself is identical internally and externally as a whisper flow. The only difference is the motor
Replacement parts are available if screens get broke etc..

grumpy88

Reaction score
When a pool pump is in a roofed enclosure, it'll last many years longer.than one exposed to sun and weather. My 3 HP Intelliflo is 11 years old. I replaced the DE filter last year, it was 20 years old. The Raypak heater is also 20 years old and still.works fine.

View attachment 1039358

View attachment 1039359
How does the heat in the closed room effect the equipment ? What about having the heater in there ?

530RL

Reaction score

As far as lifespan on magnetic drive motors. They can and do last as long or longer then old style pumps.
The pump itself is identical internally and externally as a whisper flow. The only difference is the motor
Yep, it’s like Freon for vintage cars. You have to have some on the shelf.

I just hope my pumps and the people who can rebuild them outlive me. 🤷

Otherwise it will be financially painful.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Yep, it’s like Freon for vintage cars. You have to have some on the shelf.

I just hope my pumps and the people who can rebuild them outlive me. 🤷

Otherwise it will be financially painful.

It’s just money. Your heirs wont even notice the money spent on pumps :p

rrrr

Reaction score
How does the heat in the closed room effect the equipment ? What about having the heater in there ?

Never had an issue with any of the equipment. The heater is a 220 Mbtuh, not very big, so running it inside the enclosure in the off seasons has not been a problem.

530RL

Reaction score
For the record, mellowyellowvector helped me fix a problem in my pool pumps that others could not figure out.

I’d go with what he says. He is the Bobby Flay of pools.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score

Nearly every commercial pool equipment is enclosed.
No issues at all. With heater it must vent to outdoors and needs fresh air supply of X amount based on heater BTU
If room isn’t actually “fully enclosed” as in property wall, back of house/garage, and 2 sound walls with a freestanding cover up top. Then no issues other then getting exhaust out of the “room”

shock22

Reaction score

Found replacement screen and controller on eBay 10 minutes to change out easy.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Never had an issue with any of the equipment. The heater is a 220 Mbtuh, not very big, so running it inside the enclosure in the off seasons has not been a problem.

Keeping it out of direct sunlight is likely helping to prolong the life [emoji106]

My pumps are currently out in the open and it can’t be good…I can see the sun damage on the exterior cases.

Plus I bet they’re waaaay hotter in direct sunlight, compared to yours in that sweet little building you house yours in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro